Ad Susceptum Perficiendum

One-shot

Salem’s nicer suburban housing is closer to the waterfront. The tree-lined streets reveal varied homes with architecture harkening to different eras of building in the city. However, many homes favor a Victorian look and the incorporation of columns at the entrance. The closer to the water, the more expensive the house. There has also been a recent spate of building expensive condos in this area.
TheLordOfAwesome

Ad Susceptum Perficiendum

Post by TheLordOfAwesome »

It was almost done now. Just a few little odds and ends needed to be put in place and her latest creation would be complete.

[Medea Parth: Pregame — START]

Things were coming along well with her latest tinker project. Soon the little drone she had spent the last few weeks working on will be ready for launch and she couldn’t be more proud of her technological child. It would need a suitable name upon completion before it could join its siblings. Medea paused in her work on the drone, turning her attention to Belphegor who rested on the little cat tree she had stationed near her desk.

“Hey, Belphy, what do you think I should name this drone?” she inquired of her resting pet. The cat lazily opened its eyes to peer at her, flicking his tail before shutting his eyes once more. Medea smiled and chuckled at the cat. “No suggestions? Thanks anyway, Belphy!”

She reached over and scratched the top of the ragdoll’s head, who instinctively raised it to accept the affection of his owner. Medea cooed at her pet, basking in how cute and adorable he was. Once she was satisfied with giving her cat affection, she turned back to her project.

The drone was hardly recognizable anymore from the thing it started out as. Everything was in the right place to be visually similar, but the bundle of exposed eyes, pieces of metal and plastic haphazardly tapped and strapped back into place, zipties and tape holding it together in general, and the new additions of a small camera and a mechanical arm for it to grab things made it look more akin to some thrown together art project in the shape of a drone than an actual drone. But it would fly! Medea was confident enough in her little creation that she knew it would fly. Her creations weren’t much to look at, this much she knew, but they worked!

“I think I will call you…” she trailed off a bit as she thought of a name. “Scrappy! Yes, that’s a perfect name! Like that cute little cartoon dog everybody dislikes for some reason.”

With the name settled she picked up the recently named Scrappy, walking over to her room door, opening it and placing the hobbled together drone down on the floor. She walked over back to her desk, taking a seat and picking up the remote control for the drone, which had also been modified with a small screen. Medea beamed, flicking a switch and soon the screen came to life, static enveloping before turning on to show the floor that the drone was sitting on.

“So far so good, Belphy.” Medea said.

She moved the levitation stick of the drone, soon the propellers of the drone spun to life, their buzzing filling into the room as it started to hover into the air. She pushed on the other stick and the drone started to move. Medea gave a small cheer as her creation moved, but now came the hard part: maneuvering Scrappy to the kitchen and grabbing a bag of chips.

Scrappy flew further down the hall, the sounds of its buzzing becoming more distant as it did so. From the screen Medea could see its path, soon reaching the stairway. She moved down the stairs, slowly and carefully. Everything was going well until the screen started to shake violently, then flipped upside down before crashing to the ground.

Medea gasped, looking at the screen that flickered then died. Something had gone wrong. Clearly Scrappy wasn’t as ready as she had initially thought. She pouted, then put down her controlling for Scrappy and turned to her loyal cat companion in his tree.

“Well, so much for the maiden voyage of Scrappy,” she sighed. “Oh well, guess we’ll have to try again and make sure he’s a little more held together before I send him out to get my snacks.”

The cat yawned, then curled up more in the tree. Medea yawned in turn as she pushed herself away from her desk.

“You’re right, Belphy. A nap does sound really nice right now.” she said as she got up and moved toward her bed. “Mom and dad won’t be home until later tonight, so I’ll get a little shut eye and clean up Scrappy when I wake up.”

Medea curled up into her bed, resting her head upon the plush pillows that adorned it. Belphegor got up and leaped down from his cat tree, before jumping onto the bed with his master. The cat curled up next to Medea, who wrapped around the animal and pulled him close as she drifted off to sleep.

(Medea Parth continued in Skipping Leg Day...)

Return to “Suburban Housing”