Promises

Multishot!

Though Salem is generally not a place with very inexpensive housing, those looking for less costly places of residence go towards West Salem. There are several apartment buildings with availabilities from studios up to two or three bedroom apartments of varying levels of quality. Many apartment buildings have red brick exteriors and while some are traditional apartment buildings, some are bungalow style and even some are apartments above small businesses.
DerArknight

Promises

Post by DerArknight »

Early Morning, Monday, December 6, 2021: Salem, Massachusetts
((Derek Caldwell continued from 🌭))

Even on the day of his abduction, Derek awoke to the sound of his usual alarm clock.

Automatically, his hand reached for his smartphone. It was old and used, but still new enough to feature a touchscreen.

He swiped left.

He rolled to the other side.
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

About five minutes later, his second alarm started ringing.

Groggily, Derek arose from under the sheets, throwing them to his feet. Then he stood up, doing a few stretches. The faint light shining through the not fully closed curtains allowed him to avoid bumping into anything. It was only once he felt more or less mentally present that he reached for the smartphone and brought an end to Rebillet's acoustical rampage, the threat of Derek falling back into his bed and oversleeping warded off for another day.

Oversleeping on a normal monday was embarrassing. Missing the ski trip would have been the next level.

Derek grabbed the clothes he had prepared the day before and headed in the direction of the bath, each step a little more aware than the previous one.
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

Frederika had forgotten to empty the washing machine again.

There was a time when Derek had reminded his mother almost weekly that leaving the clothes closed in the machine would make them stink. Now he just sighed as he changed into favorite shirt featuring a yellow star.

Next came the gel, which Derek used to make his hair stand upright.

About seven minutes later, Derek exited the bath. On the way to the kitchen, he made sure to be extra silent while passing the door of Abel's room.
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

His breakfast consisted of the remaining cornflakes. No one else in his family ate them, so Derek made sure to empty the box.

Cornflakes were one of the few luxuries he allowed himself.

Milk on the other hand was not.
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

Derek found the person he was looking for sleeping on the couch. Apparently the argument last evening had ended with no solution.

"Hey," he spoke loud enough for his mother to hear.

Frederika's face slightly contorted.

"I know you are awake."

She finally graced him with attention by opening her eyes, throwing an annoyed loook at him. "What?"

"I will leave soon." Derek said.

"And what makes you think I don't know that? Isn't your first day at school."

"The winter trip is this week."

It took about five seconds for Fredeika's expression to turn from confused back to annoyed. "Oh. Yeah. Have fun and so, I guess?"

Then she tried to shoft into a new sleeping position to signalize the end of their conversation.

"I just want to make sure you are taking care of Abel while I am gone."

"Sure sure." She didn't even look at him.

But thankfully, Derek knew which buttons to press in thiss situation.

"I see," he said, seemingly more to himself. "Then I will leave it in your hands. Just remember that he is invited to Carl's birthday party tomorrow and that he needs to bring lunch money to school on friday.

"Oh, and if you need any help, I am sure the Parkers would be glad to lend a hand."

By the mention of their ever-smiling neighbours, Frederika twitched visibly. Then, with a huff, she turned back to him.

"Drop this shit. I am the one running this house." While saying this words, she partly raised up into a seating position, knocking over an empty beer bottle. It landed on the ground next to a plate containing scraps of the dinner Derek had cooked yesterday. At that time, his parents had been screaming at each other in the background because Lucas bought the wrong brand of cigarettes and Abel had been in his room, most likely wearing his headphones to drown out any sound except his favorite music. The actual dinner had been dead silent. A normal day in the Caldwell household.

"So don't talk like I need this shitfaces for anything. Abel will have a wonderful week. Better than when you are around."

The last line stung, just as intended. But Derek refused her the satisfaction of showing it on his face.

"And now go wherever." With that, Frederika dropped back on the couch, presenting her back to him.

Derek didn't mind the rudeness. He got what he had wanted from the talk. His mother was too stubborn and prideful to get back at her word. She had promised to take care of Abel until his return, so she would do it. And then spend the next few weeks rubbing her alleged superiority into his face.

He could live with that.
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

After washing the cornflakes bowl, it was time for Derek to depart.

His luggage and suitcase were standing right by the door, prepared in advance like his clothes.

But before he could make his escape, a voice called out to him.

"Brother?"

Abel was looking out of his room, the door barely opened.

Letting his luggage drop to the ground, Derek came over to his little brother and bend down so they could talk eye-to-eye.

"You shouldn't be awake at this time. It is way too early. We said our goodbyes yesterday, remember?"

"I... just had trouble sleeping." Abel looked to the right for a short moment, which was a clear sign that he wasn't being entirely honest.

"I can see something is bothering you. What is it?"

"But thought you-"

"I always have time for your problems."

Hearing this reassuring words, Abel relaxed a bit.

"It has been so long since you went on a trip. I am just nervous. And some at school said something about something 'soft' happening at trips sometimes."

Derek sighed. Then he gave a smile. "Don't worry, I have checked in with mom. For the week, she should behave. And if she doesn't, you can always ring by the Parkers and say the lines I taught you.

"As for me, don't worry. I will come back in a few days and tell you all about the ski resort and the snow there."

The mention of snow made Abel clairaudient. "Will you see a yeti?"

With a stiffled laugh, Derek raised his hand and ruffled through Abel's blond hair. "Sure, I will be on the lookout. If I find oone, I will get an autpgraph, just for you."

This made Abel laugh as well.

"But now back to bed, okay? Mom doesn't need to know about your allnighter."

"Okay. Have a good trip." With that, Abel closed the door.

Derek remained in his lowered position for a few moments before standing up. Since he had no money for a bus and didn't want to park his bike somewhere for the whole week, he would go to school the classic way today. No more time to waste.

Picking up his stuff, he opened the appartment door, and entered the hallway.
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

And that was the last time he would ever enter this house.

((Derek Caldwell - Pregame concluded))
V9
Judy Loxley
Ae-Cha Myo
Cynthia Jericho
Sarah Williams
V8
S007 Derek Caldwell [65/134]
S026 Dawn Montogomery [34/134]
S076 Daenerys "D" Todd [72/134]
S106 Ethan Kemp [132/134]
S116 Quentin B. Skinner [94/134]