Puppet Girl

Cutting a path through the trees at the base of the mountain, the old road was the only usable link for vehicles wishing to travel between the mining town and the research station. This meant it was kept in relatively good condition almost year-round, although it was prone to blockages from mountain debris. In the years since the island was abandoned, no one has been present to clear these blockages, and the tarmac has started to crack and break apart from years of freezing and thawing. Despite this, it is still the most easily traversable path on the island, even with the edges of the forest starting to encroach upon it.

Thread limit: 1
MethodicalSlacker

Post by MethodicalSlacker »

"I couldn't find much in her bag," Amaryllis said. "Just some extra gear, like maps and compasses. The stuff I let you borrow. And I couldn't find her weapon, either."

Amaryllis stood and looked down the road at Liya's grave. Then, at Piper's body. It dawned on her then that she had misinterpreted Lily's comment.

"Oh," she said.

"We can bury her too. We'll set them up side by side. So that they have each other for company."

She wiped the blooming tears from her eyes.

"After that, we'll head back."

It was with some shame that Amaryllis realized Piper's grave was better arranged than Liya's. They were much less tired this time, and they could see, and they had practice. Part of the way through, she went back to Liya's grave and shaped things up. The snow was getting drippy, so she added more twigs and stones. The most important thing was to make sure both of their eyes were closed. If only Amaryllis had some coins, to lay over them, that would do better. Rocks were not a substitute. She got as close as the stench of death would let her and closed them herself, slowly dragging her fingers down Liya and Piper's faces.

After the burial—really, the covering—was complete, Amaryllis stood away from the bodies and sighed.

"We have to get going," Amaryllis said, "it's almost noon. Dick and Iris must think we've been injured, or got lost, or ditched them."

She yawned. Then, she slapped her cheeks lightly with her gloved hands.

"Need to find shelter. Somewhere we can rest. Inside."

That was what she muttered to herself as she started walking down the path.

[Amaryllis Peszek-Byrne continued in Bec de Corbin.]
[+] Recommended Reading Order
—The Heaven Panel—

Image / Image - G051: Lili Williams: 1. Hope springs eternal. Kidnapped from her school trip and thrown into a horrific death game, Lili wanders the wasteland in search of her past life before it slides away from her for good.

Meanwhile 1. From Here On Out [Complete] Marie Bernstein eats ice cream with her friend and gets a text message.

Image / Image - B043: Arthur Bernstein: 2. Blood is thicker than water. Seeking his sister's comfort, Arthur takes up the spear and walks alongside another.

Meanwhile 2. Colorless [Complete] A family reunion under less than ideal circumstances. When trying to unravel the mystery of her brother's death at the hands of esoteric serial terrorists, Marie discovers more than she bargained for.

——The Earth Panel——

𝄇

Image - G026: Liberty "Bert" Wren: 3. It is happening again. To make things right, Bert must understand where things went wrong.

Image - B049: Max Rudolph: 4. The words we use to construct our realities often also make up the links in our chains. Fleeing a vision, Max builds his most elaborate prison yet.

Image - B032: Lucas Diaz: 5. A life lived through the views of others. In pursuit of revenge and his own death, Lucas Diaz interrupts the falling of many dominos.

Meanwhile 3. Because We Love You [Complete] Selections from a Google Drive, never to be logged into again.

Meanwhile 4. The Lines We Draw [Complete] In the process of collecting his brother's memories, Milo Diaz has a fitful morning.

Image - G007: Violet Schmidt: 6. The stars in the night sky do not make pictures. Breathing on both sides of the water, Violet Schmidt journeys to escape the confines of her own mind, and her reality.

Meanwhile 5. Years of Pilgrimage [???] Dana Schmidt is dreaming.

Meanwhile 6. Colorless II [Ongoing] Charlie Bernstein returns to the desert and finds it empty.

Meanwhile 7. Writing the Enigma [Ongoing] Randy Rudolph provides lodgings for Marie Bernstein as she investigates Survival of the Fittest, the city of Chattanooga, and the meaning of water.

———The Hell Panel———

¿
S080: Kyle 'K' Emerson: [?]. You can never really know a person. Determined to return home to his elder sister, K. Emerson tries to wait it out while he still can.

S089: Amaryllis Peszek-Byrne: [X]. Rise from your grave. Witnessing herself at her worst, Amaryllis tries to sustain her belief that a better world is possible.
[+] Other Threads
Virtual Pilgrimage: Exploring the Pregame Cities of SOTF
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

Lillian wiped her brow as they finished with Piper's burial, rubbing her hands together to try and warm them after gathering up so much snow.

There was a small part of her that mentally berated herself for wasting so much time, especially for someone she wasn't exactly friends with. It wasn't like they could realistically give everyone on the island the same treatment, especially as the days went by and the body count continued rising.

And yet, she knew she couldn't just leave Piper like that. Not after everything they did for Liya. It just wouldn't be fair to go through all that trouble for one of her fallen classmates and not do the same for another, even someone she didn't know all that well like Piper. If anything she regretted not getting to know her better, or many of the other names mentioned in the announcement. Tana, Liya, Piper... She dreaded to think which of her friends were going to be next.

Were things really that hopeless? Was there really nothing she could do but wander around, her friends dying one by one, their deaths bantered off by their uncaring overseer? Doomed to just drift from one place to another, trying to seek out her friends just so that they could... What, huddle together somewhere warm and wait it out? Try to escape despite nobody managing to pull it off for over a decade? Dickie at least seemed to have some idea in mind, seeking out Chloe and trying to unite the island under the student council, or something to that effect. Would that amount to much in the end? Did she have any better ideas?

In any case, Amaryllis' point regarding Dickie and Iris remained true. They had ended up venturing away from camp for far longer than they'd promised, and with the sun starting to rise there was a fair chance they might not make it back before Dickie and Iris decided to head elsewhere. Despite her earlier concerns about the town being a hotspot, she didn't want to spend another night out in the unrelenting cold.

But before they could find shelter, they needed to try and catch up the others before they decided to move on. Their group was fractured enough as it was with Liya gone, and Dickie actually seemed to have some semblance of a plan in mind. Better than anything she could come up with, anyway.

Besides, they had just learned the hard way why it was important to stick together.

((Lillian Larsen continued in bec de corbin))
Coming soon to a V9 near you
Marcia "Marcy" Valerio: The Dancer
Koa Tagaloa: The Wrestler
Johnny Benowitz: The Jock
Florida Riley: The Saint

Xavier Martinez: The maybe pregame only character, but don't count on it
[+] V8
Cassie Chao: The Wallflower Thank you... For talking to me, when nobody else even knew I was there.
Shawn Bellamy: The Bastard "We're the only decent people left on this island, Matt. Way I see it, as long as one of us survives this... I'd say that's a win, wouldn't you?""
Lillian "Lily" Larsen: The Satanist "Don't think explanations will be necessary. Neither of us are exactly innocent anymore."
Mitch McDuffy: The Gamer Jobtown. Baby.
[+] V5
Brian Zhdanovich "Just... Just stay safe Ruby. Don't take any unnecessary risks, or accept candy from strangers. But most of all, don't you ever..."
Ruby Forrester "Do you seriously think you're the only person on this island whose had a shitty week?"
Jenna Rhodes"Of course, assuming that all goes as planned, we'd have to do something about the whole 24-hours-no-kill limit. Maybe draw straws, or take a vote, something along those lines... Either way, the longer we put this off, the more likely it is that we'll all get rescued and taken away from this hellhole."
[+] V4
Marty J. Lovett ""Well... Here we are buddy. To be totally honest with you, I didn't think either of us would make it this far. Who'd of thought, huh? I was SURE that I'd be dead within the first couple of days."
Joshua Krakowsk "...I'm tellin' you Marty, somewhere out there is a picture of Danya and George Bush on a boat with the biggest damn catfish you've EVER seen!"
Maxwell Lombardi "Now then, I'm afraid I must bid you all adieu. I look forward to meeting the rest of your children, siblings, lovers, friends and what not. And I'm sure they're looking forward to meeting me as well..."
Vera Osborne"Now then... Tell me why I shouldn't just snuff out your existence and get it all over and done with?"

Return to “The Old Road”