XCOM 2: War of the Chosen Mafia Fallout Thread

Want to play the forum game of intrigue and deception? Find it here.
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

Emprexx Plush wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:41 pm Consider

More seriously most of the post overflow is meming and having fun, not gameplay. We also see what happens when the loud voices go quiet and it's a lot of "anyone? Anyone? Bueller?"

This game got excessive mostly because of the flavor confusion and constant round and round on it but as far as top posters go activity is the same as last game.
I won the postcount battle!!! the only victory that matters...

(except for your 69/420/666 combo)
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

and im gonna win the postcount battle for this thread, too!!!
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

lmao what

how
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

gg
Fenris

Post by Fenris »

henlo. most of the stuff i was gonna say has already been said, However i will add that having four townies with two different roles is absolutely a setup built to Start Shit the same way it did in-game and if that isnt your intention as game mod (maybe it is im not ur boss) its dangerous. unique town roles are fine, one townie role is fine, but two is gonna start some arguments.

(especially when one of them is explicitly ranked above the other, i dont know anything about xcom but that felt extra weird to me???)

for the record 4 scum 10 town isnt an inherently bad setup, most setup recommendations will say 1/4 to 1/3 of players should be scum and this fits neatly into those recommendations, but those recommendations also usually assume a mostly vanilla setup with only one nightkill. without a vigilante this setup would... still not be super balanced, scum is very powerful, but like at least it would have lasted 4 days minimum, which would have been Better, yknow

all games is a learning opportunity tho, gotta see what doesnt work to lear what does
"Well, Fenris, the King of Gossip. We meet again."
[+] v7
the dead:
Image[B040] Dante Valerio - Fell asleep too early.
[V7] [x] [x] [x]
[Pregame] Then: None Now: [Start] Prom: [Start] Trip: [Start]
Image[G014] Apollonia "Nia" Karahalios - T-R-I-E-D.
[V7] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x]
[Pregame] Then: [Start] Now: [Start] Prom: None Trip: [Start]
Image[B004] Axel Fontaine - Lost his place.
[V7] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x]
[Pregame] Then: [Start] Now: [Start] Prom: [Start] Trip: [Start]
Image[G041] Ivy Langley - Together forever.
[V7] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x]

the living:
ImageArtem Fyodorov - Desperate.
[Meanwhile] [x] [x] [x]
[Pregame] Then: [Start] Now: [Start] Prom: [Start]
ImageZen Alicea Feliciano - On vacation!
[Meanwhile] [x]
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

ngl am still confused when people say I'm not answering questions addressed to me because that's literally the only thing I do
Fenris

Post by Fenris »

also on the last day in dead chat we were just Waiting for scum to realize they could just pile onto boogie's one vote and end the phase but they never did i guess since ricky didnt do the math and also ms was high for that last phase lmao

yall could have ended our suffering sooner u jerks
"Well, Fenris, the King of Gossip. We meet again."
[+] v7
the dead:
Image[B040] Dante Valerio - Fell asleep too early.
[V7] [x] [x] [x]
[Pregame] Then: None Now: [Start] Prom: [Start] Trip: [Start]
Image[G014] Apollonia "Nia" Karahalios - T-R-I-E-D.
[V7] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x]
[Pregame] Then: [Start] Now: [Start] Prom: None Trip: [Start]
Image[B004] Axel Fontaine - Lost his place.
[V7] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x]
Image[G041] Ivy Langley - Together forever.
[V7] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x]

the living:
ImageArtem Fyodorov - Desperate.
[Meanwhile] [x] [x] [x]
ImageZen Alicea Feliciano - On vacation!
[Meanwhile] [x]
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Yeah but we're ebil
V8 Characters:
Hades Thompson: Scary on the outside, dying on the inside
Ruth Flanagan: Never talk to me or my brother or my brother or my brother or my brother ever again
Vladimir Tepes: Not a vampire, so invite him in
Latin For Dragula

Post by Latin For Dragula »

Monsters
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageG056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
ImageB014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

@Fen Nah, it still would've been 3 day phases without a vig, assuming we mislynch every day and the NK happens successfully every night (which isnt unlikely, given the double strongman). Day 1/Night 1 brings us to 12, Day 2/Night 2 brings us to 10, Day 3/Night 3 brings us to 8 and that's game over for town.
Slam

Post by Slam »

Emprexx Plush wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:13 pm Like, hundreds of posts of serious analysis I get, I remember the dark days of tunneling where I could trade half a dozen pages of multi paragraph posts a day, that shit was exhausting. If the memes aren't for you though, you can just skip them. Ask questions, skim for stuff that interests you, find your own jokes, w/e. Nobody knows what's going on but like, that's how every game is, even the ones generally agreed to have screwy set ups are a lot more fun when you stop giving a fuck about winning to embrace this thing as a chaotic party game for goofs where everything you say and do is probably wrong
I would say there's probably different flavours of mafia different people on the board go for. Some probably prefer something more focused and playing for keeps, others enjoy memes and not taking it seriously. I wouldn't say either is necessarily a better or worse way to go about it.
"Smile. The world's not ending just yet."
Grand Moff Hissa

Post by Grand Moff Hissa »

My take:

I think people are overselling how scum-sided this one is due to a different lever. I'd put this as mildly to lower-mid scum-favored (which feels a lot harsher, to be fair, because 90% of the time SOTF runs mildly to lower-mid town-favored). But what this game really went hard on was swing, which can lead to a game feeling a lot stompier than it necessarily is on paper.

I disagree really, really hard with the idea that town's PRs were bad for it. Town was gifted an incredibly potent setup, because half the point of investigative PRs is clearing townies. At three investigations a night, town had an incredible theoretical ability to parse and compile information, and also had a kill that scum had to jump through hoops to counter or play around (no BP scum = scum must either guess a roleblock or else investigate first and then start blocking).

The problem, as I see it, comes in the form of counterplay. About 2/3 of scum's power budget was slapped onto one member: Goose. Goose's role counters tracker, watcher, and bodyguard and is countered by role cop (and, to a lesser degree, vig). As long as Goose is alive, scum's kill rolls right over two of town's best roles. The second Goose is dead, scum is up the proverbial creek, because suddenly the team has zero oomph and town has potentially three investigative roles, a bulletproof protection (which I think is getting undervalued hard--if the role gets outed and it's time for follow-the-cop, a bulletproof bodyguard creates a no-win situation because you can't kill the cop or the "doctor" until a night down the line), and a kill.

I think, were I prepping the game, I'd've gone one of the following ways:

1. Goose's role gets split between Goose and Ricky. Basically, give scum two killing roles, one that can't be tracked and one that eludes only watchers. Give each a single-shot pierce kill. This forces scum to decide what it's more afraid of, but in turn lets them know there's both a tracker and a watcher in play. It also forces potential ricks/suboptimal usage in order to squeeze out the pierce kill.

2. Goose's role gets nerfed a bit. Drop to only one pierce kill (this makes the usage more tactical). Disable the ninja effect when using the pierce kill. This, again, forces a hard choice.

A few other factors I think people are missing:

-Scum's safe-claims were not great. It was exclusively flavor stuff, and scum was in fact given potential to trip over the exact same VT fluff thing town was--basically, we got to exploit it because one townie made an inadvisable claim and another flipped. Actually, what I was holding my breath waiting for was to get busted on ignoring Zetsu's mass claim suggestion--we just didn't have a very good answer to it so I pretended it wasn't even worth discussion, never mentioned it, and hoped it'd slide. Got away with it!

-Shooting town as town costing a phase is par for the course. That's the risk to counteract a very powerful ability, and does make the game swingier (and is also why general theory at least used to be considering hard whether or not to take a shot). Yes, the game could've ended in two phases with two bad vig shots and two bad votes. The other side of that is the game could've ended in two phases with two good vig shots and votes.

-re: the content of the townie claims, I do think it was maybe a misfire. It reminds me a bit of Danganronpa mafia, where every VT got a generic role... except me, who got a specific dude. Hilarity naturally ensued. That said, I also think it's important to note that while it did some bad stuff for town (got Jace whacked) it also did some really good stuff for town (effectively cleared three townies). The real damage from the discourse, though, was that basically every VT lined up and spilled... allowing scum to then pour all resources into messing with town power roles. In an ideal world, getting a VT confirmed is great for town because any phase scum's knowingly shooting a VT for their slot instead of their play, that's a loss. But also in an ideal world, VTs act as a bit of a buffer between the good roles and the NK, and if that's lost the spiral escalates quickly.

The other side of this is that, by virtue of the discourse, scum was largely locked out of claiming VT (only Goose could've swung it) because to do so would look really, really sketch given the debate.
Fenris wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:29 pm also on the last day in dead chat we were just Waiting for scum to realize they could just pile onto boogie's one vote and end the phase but they never did i guess since ricky didnt do the math and also ms was high for that last phase lmao

yall could have ended our suffering sooner u jerks
^The thing here is, that requires setup knowledge to be safe. All it takes for the day to get super, super bad is a boogie JOAT/Blizzard busdriver or something silly like that, and suddenly scum just got double-KOed at night, is outnumbered again, and blatantly admitted who they are. The game's not over 'til the credits roll, and if you go off half-cocked and something curveballs you, you can really easily lose a winning hand.

I was intent on playing townie until the very last second.

One last thing, re: memes and spam. I don't hate it. It absolutely makes the game more fatiguing to get through, and I don't think "just skip the fluff" is fair unless everyone starts color-coding their fluff or something because te only way to know what is fluff or not is to read it. I do think, to kick up the old talk (on the opposite side I once was!), there's maybe an argument to made for turning off post count incrementing in mafia if that's gonna be the norm, just so that people don't actually get into high score competitions. Or else to make a side board for people to just get their +1s or whatever. Posting a ton in the thread because you're having fun is great! Posting a ton in the thread to see a number go up I'm less sold on, especially since it can be distracting to others and doesn't have the chief virtue of the fun side (namely, being fun in its own right).

re: phases, generally I'm a fan of trying to have ideal win time equal for both sides, but sometimes it's not possible. 14 is sadly a really bad number for mafia IMO because you've either got 3 scum (notably town-slanted to start) or 4 scum (notably scum-slanted to start). At 13 or 15, it's easier to say which way to go. 14's just bad times.
I bid you all dark greetings!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Jace

Post by Jace »

Told u guys
Latin For Dragula

Post by Latin For Dragula »

MurderWeasel wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:41 am I do think, to kick up the old talk (on the opposite side I once was!), there's maybe an argument to made for turning off post count incrementing in mafia if that's gonna be the norm, just so that people don't actually get into high score competitions.
spoken like true post count bourgeois afraid to lose the lofty position on top

I don't get how a Bus Driver or JOAT changes the last phase at all? Those are both night actions dependent, and as soon as scum gets that mislunch the game is over, there is no night phase for set-up shenanigans to get you. I assumed y'all didn't pile on because you didn't know for sure whether there would be a second kill after there wasn't one the first night; you had my Vig result but with no kill I might be blocked, I might have hit BP, I might be limited, I might be holding my shots, we might have shot the same target, so until morning the safe assumption was that you need a mislunch and a night kill to secure the win, and once you had the information that the math was on your side you had no scumchat to coordinate the dogpile
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageG056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
ImageB014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
Grand Moff Hissa

Post by Grand Moff Hissa »

That's part of it, yeah--we were honestly not giga-coordinated as a scumteam anyways (and I think that's one of the big ways town's flailing covered for us--I do have some thoughts on that but for after dinner).

The other side was that if town had some weird trick up its sleeve that somehow both thwarted our kill and also whacked a scum member, if we'd dogpiled then we'd look awfully foolish when the day dawned to a 4-3 town-favored split and all our names were on an obvious attempt to rush the end.

Was it likely? No, not at all! But I prefer to play safe if doing so isn't going to burn us worse.
I bid you all dark greetings!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Mafia”