Your Top Ten

New Board Edition!

Discuss anything and everything that has to do with SOTF here -- from your favorite character to comments and suggestions about the site! This forum also contains roleplaying guides for your benefit!
RC~

Your Top Ten

Post by RC~ »

I'm trying to revive the two threads from the old boards and am wondering what your current overall top ten characters of the SOTF main heptalogy are! There's also a Mini version of this thread!

Go, go, go!
Reading Guide
[+] Personal Progress
V1: 100%
V2: 100%
V3: Der Metzgermeister
V4: 2%?
V5: 70%?
V6: 90%?
V7: The Sky is Falling
V8: 0%
RC~

Post by RC~ »

10. Jeremy Frasier (V6) by Yugikun

Definitely, one of the highlights of the newer season, and in my opinion Yugi's best work so far. Jeremy felt like the protagonist of V6, and more or less like the protagonist of a young adult novel. He was very fun to read and there was a lot of effort and idea put into his story and goals.

9. Franco Sebberts (V2) by Neal

I am a sucker for villains, specifically manipulative ones. What works so well is how his thread mates sold him so well, showing that SOTF can be a collaborative site instead of constantly competiting with one another. Neal is a talented writer, Franco and Blake both were fun to read, and I just love Franco, what a loveable villain.

8. Gavin Hunter (V5) by Ghost of Ravenstar

You cannot deny the influence Gavin had on this site and how Ghost of Ravenstar's writing was way ahead of its time, especially the death post, which was extremely experimental and prophetic of the writing of SOTF post-V5. He stood out in V5 and you can argue about intend, but he was well-rounded as a character, and in pregame there were even hints of comedy. He didn't fit into V5 due to its hyperrealistic sentiment, but if he had been written a version or two later, I believe his reception had been different. There was lot of thought and effort put into his storyline, and I found the concept of multishots very unique to V5 and fun to read. Furthermore, due to how controversial he was at the time and still is and how he is still talked of today, shows the importance of Gavin in SOTF history. He was well-characterised and ahead of his time, in a time where escape attempts have been frowned upon.

7. Michael Crowe (V6) by Toxie

Michael Crowe was a game changer to SOTF History, as he shook up the V5 status quo. He brought fresh wind to SOTF, being a fun to read character, while being OTT, which was attempted to be avoided in the V5 era and was contrarily to the OTT-ness of V1-4 well-written and super fun and entertaining. It also doesn't hurt that in Toxie's writing there's this element of emotionality to the reader that was absent in the OTT characters from the days of yore. Michael brought the energy to V6 that SOTF lacked.

6. Liam Brooks (V4) by Ricky

The execution of Bloodgarden has to be one of the most iconic SOTF moments ever. Brook was such an interesting character, because he wasn't straight-forward, you had to interpret why he did all of this, Ricky didn't tell the reader why Brook did Bloodgarden, he showed it. Brook's storyline was well-executed thanks to all handlers involved, it was a collaborative effort, Bloodgarden. The tragedy that lead to it, the several different action scenes within it and the conclusion. This plot within the large plot of V4 is certainly one of the most iconic ones in SOTF History.

5. Hansel Williams (V5) by Brandon

Hansel surprised me with his concept, because I wasn't too fond of him as a concept, but damn the execution. He was just an awesome character that was very fun to read live and to see him progress over the course of V5. He remains one of my favorite characters.

4. Aaron Hughes (V4) by Toben

I'm a sucker for manipulative villains, and as with Franco, a big part why I love Aaron is so much, is that his crew played along so well. Unlike Franco, this guy is so hateable, because he's such a hateable douchebag and you really want to punch him for his actions. He is such a well-written malicious character, that I can heartly recommend if you want to read into the massive version that is V4. His escape group arc is just fantastic.

3. Adam Dodd (V1) by Adam

I think, no, I know SOTF would be much more different if it were not for Adam Dodd. I think he has to be the most important character in SOTF, and most influential. He stood out from all other characters in the first version by being written with much more depth. His writing quality was on another level, his storyline was engaging. The moment he spoke about the smell of a corpse, I knew he was different and on a different level. I think him being the first winner of SOTF was also beneficial to the site as a whole, as he set the expections of a well-written SOTF character, with a fun storyline to read.

2. Tyler Lucas (V5) by Grim Wolf

Grim Wolf is a genius and creative writer and I love how Tyler operated, how his narrative operated. It was severely different from anything else that was written in SOTF at the time and I had very much fun trying to decipher him. He was pure show don't tell. His action scenes with Hansel and Travis were just epic and he always brought energy to SOTF. He was never boring and was such a fun contrast to the long-prose era that had been there since V3. He was experimental and what a successful experiment that was!

1. Bryan Calvert (V2) by Cyco

I sincerely believe that Bryan Calvert is the best character in SOTF History. Period. I don't think anyone else matches him. Many characters in SOTF tried to be badass. Bryan simply was badass. No, seriously, this redemption story of a player, was just fantastic and I simply love Cyco's writing style. Everything fit, and the story was just perfect. The beginning, the middle and the end. Bryan Calvert is the best SOTF character.
Reading Guide
[+] Personal Progress
V1: 100%
V2: 100%
V3: Der Metzgermeister
V4: 2%?
V5: 70%?
V6: 90%?
V7: The Sky is Falling
V8: 0%

Return to “Roleplaying Discussion”