Just another Relationship-Thread, 2. Edition

SOTF-Newbie looking for relations, now revamped and improved

V8 Pregame is on the way! As such this is the place where you can find friends, rivals, romantic partners, hobby groups and much more! You can start planning threads of your own in this forum to sort out any specific relationships you want for your characters, or you can cruise around others' threads looking for something that would work for your character. Please note that V8 Pregame is still in the future; this forum is merely to allow for more direct and focused planning now that class and location details have been revealed.
DerArknight

Just another Relationship-Thread, 2. Edition

Post by DerArknight »

Welcome to my Relationship-Thread!

I know this thread isn't new. It's just that I ended up changing my line-up a lot, so I decided to rework this thread from the ground up.

Here is the changelog:
  • Ethan Kemp, who was planned to be a Meanwhile-character, is going to the island.
  • As a result, Do Seungri has been scrapped.
  • A new character named Daenerys Todd will join the island-crew.
  • To make place for her, Judy Loxley has been scrapped as well.
  • Derek Caldwell was changed a lot (for example he is no longer interested in K-Pop), so some of the relations I made no longer work.
  • Judy and Do are now in the waiting lounge for V9. Meaning I am going to write them, but not in V8. While the current plan is for them to participate in V9, I might also use the two in any other version that happens in the future, if I think they fit.
With that out of the way, let us take a new look at the characters:

Dawn Montogomery
A positive girl that wants to become a doctor when she graduates, just like her parents.
Her desire to help other people comes from her childhood friend Anna who died due to an uncurable disease during middle school. Because of said disease, Anna spent most of her live in a hospital and barely went to school, so most other kids won't know her. However, Anna never lost hope and enjoyed every day to the fullest. This determination was very inspiring for Dawn and led to her decision to try and become a person that inspires others.
At school, Dawn is a member of the Studen Health Association and the Knitting Club (a interest she shared with Anna). She is extroverted and tries her best to get to know those around her, although that sometimes backfires because she tends to get too personal with strangers too soon, which can result in her irritating people by overstepping boundaries without noticing.
She always wears a long blue scarf, no matter the weather. The scarf was knitted by Anna and functions as some sort of memento for Dawn.
Thanks to her outgoing character, Dawn has many friends and is well-known among her peers. However, some find her behavior annoying and accuse her of attention-seeking, so your kid could also hold some sort of contempt for her.

Relations Dawn is looking for:
- Lots of friends
- People she helped in some way or another
- People she has weirded out
- People who are annoyed by her and/or think she is just an attention-seeker
- Fellow members of the knitting club

Ethan Kemp
Ethan is Dawn's other childhood friend, having lived right next-doors since she was born. He too was a friend of Anna.
Ethan knows Dawn like no one else does. He often hangs out with her and gets tangled up in whatever she does. Instead of romantic feelings, he views her more as some sort of little sister since he often steps in when Dawn gets overbearing. The fact that Dawn's parents are rarely home and little Dawn spend a good amount of her childhood at Ethan's house also factors in to that.
Apart from being friends with Dawn, he spends his freetime working on his youtube-channel, making short reviews about movies. While not famous by any stretch, he has a nice following and plans to make a career out of it. He is pretty open about it too, so some people in his class know about his channel and frequently talk with him about movies.
Ethan is a known member of the chess club and a frequent visitor of the arcade at the willows. He also is known for his Youtube-channel and being very knowledgable about movies, so some classmates talk frequently with him at school about this topic.

Relations Ethan is looking for:
- A few friends
- People who he plays with in the arcade from time to time
- Fellow members of the chess club
- People who know his Youtube-channel
- People who share his interest in movies

Derek Caldwell
A boy who is both a beatboxer and kind of a goth who also does digital arts, collects vynils and is very protective about his half-brother Abel.
His parents have a terrible marriage and argue almost daily. As a result, Derek learnd during his childhood to keep quiet and out of the crosshairs of everyone around him. Nowadays, he is rather introvert and prefers creative activities he can do alone over group activities. Apart from Beatboxing, he is also a fan of Goth Rock. Another hobby of his is digital art he creates with PhotoShop and puts online. He plans to study digital arts and make money with it after school.
Apart from that, he has a part-time job in a clothing store in the salem mall which he sees as annoying but necessary.
Derek is often brooding and prefers to express himself in a calm manner, but can get irritated very quickly. The constant fighting of his parents has left him with a rather pessimistic world-view and he is often blunt, especially to strangers.

Relations Derek is looking for:
- A few friends
- People who don't like him for his blunt ways
- People who like/dislike his art (he is open about it)
- Fellow Goth-Rock/Beatboxing enthusiasts
- People who know him from his part-time job

Daenerys Todd

A cheerful girl with a tomboyish streak. She loves outdoor activities such as hiking, camping and bird-watching and is also a member of the Swimming Club. Part of this comes from her parents, who are both geeks (hence her name) and tried to push Daenerys into geek culture, which drove her away from it instead. She still sometimes gets teased for her name.
Her dream is to become a falconer like her grandfather. She also has a knack for learning and is in the top ten percent of the year. Most of her clothes are rather worn-out since she has zero sense or interest in fashion and is outside in nature a lot.

Relations Daenerys is looking for:
- Some friends
- Fellow outdoor-fans
- Some other top-of-the-class-students who see her as a rival
- Fellow members of the Swimming Club
- People who make fun of her for her name or her fashion

Unlike last time, I can confidently say that this are pretty much the final drafts, at least for pregame.

So yeah, if you see some possible relations, feel free to post them here! If you already made relations that are now void due to the changes, I will message you, if you don't get a message from me, then that means the relation is still standing.
[+] And here is the original post. It is outdated and therefore no longer relevant, but I am not a big fan of permanently deleting stuff.
Forward: This is my first time on SOTF, so this Thread might be kinda weird. Please think nothing of it.
Judging from the amount of relationship-thread, I suppose you know the deal: I am looking for some relations for my characters to yours.
Since the profiles are not finished, some things might be subject to change, but the overall concepts are pretty much set in stone (as long as staff approves). Here are my characters in the order I plan to apply with them for pregame:

Dawn Montogomery
A positive girl that wants to become a doctor when she graduates, just like her parents.
Her desire to help other people comes from her childhood friend Anna who died due to an uncurable disease during middle school. Because of said disease, Anna spent most of her live in a hospital and barely went to school, so most other kids won't know her. However, Anna never lost hope and enjoyed every day to the fullest. This determination was very inspiring for Dawn and led to her decision to try and become a person that inspires others.
At school, Dawn is a member of the Studen Health Association and the Knitting Club (a interest she shared with Anna). She is extroverted and tries her best to get to know those around her, although that sometimes backfires because she tends to get too personal with strangers too soon, which can result in her irritating people by overstepping boundaries without noticing.
She always wears a long blue scarf, no matter the weather. The scarf was knitted by Anna and functions as some sort of memento for Dawn.
Thanks to her outgoing character, Dawn should has many friends and is well-known among her peers. However, some find her behavior annoying and accuse her of attention-seeking, so your kid could also hold some sort of contempt for her.

Cliffhanger:
Dawn is intended to be a pretty straightforward heroic character. Will she be able to hold onto her beliefs when thrown into SOTF? Who knows...

Advertisement Pitch:
Because of her volunteer work in the Student Health Association and her parents working in the field, Dawn has some good knowledge about medicine. Nothing unrealistic (like being able to operate), but she should be able to make much better use of a First-Aid-kit then most others, making her a useful ally on the island.

Ethan Kemp
Ethan is Dawn's other childhood friend, having lived right next-doors since she was born. He too was a friend of Anna.
Ethan knows Dawn like no one else does. He often hangs out with her and gets tangled up in whatever she does. Instead of romantic feelings, he views her more as some sort of little sister since he often steps in when Dawn gets overbearing. The fact that Dawn's parents are rarely home and little Dawn spend a good amount of her childhood at Ethan's house also factors in to that.
Apart from being friends with Dawn, he spends his freetime working on his youtube-channel, making short reviews about movies. While not famous by any stretch, he has a nice following and plans to make a career out of it. He is pretty open about it too, so some people in his class know about his channel and frequently talk with him about movies.
Wherever Dawn goes, Ethan follows. So if you are looking to make friends with Dawn, your kid will probably also be friends with Ethan by default.
Some see him as nothing more than her tag-along, but those who know the duo better are aware that he is more active than he lets on.
He also is known for his Youtube-channel and being very knowledgable about movies, so some classmates talk frequently with him at school about this topic.

Cliffhanger:
How will he cope with the fact that only of them can leave the island alive? Actually, the answer to this question will remain a mystery, because Ethan will only participate in Pregame and Meanwhile, so he will not be on the island in the first place.

Derek Caldwell
A boy who is both a beatboxer and a goth. The latter is kind of a result of the former: After an argument with his parents about his "weird" hobby, he decided to pretend to be a goth for some time just to shock his parents. However, he eventually took a liking to this subcultur and kept to it even after his parents accepted his beatboxing as music.
Apart from this conflict, his parents had a very rocky marriage. As a result, Derek learnd during his childhood to keep quiet and out of the crosshairs of everyone around him. Nowadays, he is rather introvert and doesn't talk much, but his beatboxing can be surprisingly aggressive. He uses it as an outlet for his frustrations and feelings.
Apart from Beatboxing, he is also a fan of K-Pop. Derek suffers a small identity crisis as evident by his wide and almost conflicting array of interests (Beatboxing, K-Pop and Goth Rock). He also sometimes draws, but lacks any talent and never showed his works to anyone.

Cliffhanger:
Derek is a mixed bag who never quite knew what to do with his life. Will he figure out what to do with his impending death?

Judy Loxley
The self-appointed class-clown. She is a always-happy girl wearing bright colors most of the time and tends to have the biggest smile.
However, everything from her catchy outfits to her laugh and her sometimes deliberately eye-catching movements is coldly calculated.
Growing up in a cold and uncaring family, Judy's big dream is to become a stand-up comedian because she enjoys making others happy. She sees comedy as very serious business and puts hard work into her image of a funny and likeable person. She has a very analytical mindset and even goes so far as to rate the people around her by how difficult it is to make them smile. She never talks about this and instead pretends to obfuscerate stupidity since she believes that being smart wouldn't fit the persona she crafted for herself.
She is also a member in two clubs: The Drama Club and the Cooking Club.
So far, no one has really seen behind her mask. Most people see her as a fun and harmless weirdo and leave it at that. She has a lot of people she talks often with, but no really deep friendships. This is a result of her being subconsiously scared of others seeing behind her persona.

Cliffhanger:
But will she be able to keep up her persona on the island?

Do Seungri
He is a half-korean who was raised by a single-mother after his father first talked her into moving to the US and then abandoned them. Not wanting him to turn out like his father, his mother raised him to be self-reliant and critical of his own actions.
Despite never being to Korea, he is very invested in korean culture, especially music. Part of this can be attributed to contempt for his american father.
While being realistic, Do is also used to taking care of things himself. For that reason, he became a member of the student council. He takes his position serious and is a hard-worker, known for his reliability. This makes him beloved by the teachers, but not so much by his classmates.
His few friends are in either the studen council or the K-Pop Club that he is a member of.

Cliffhanger:
Do manages well to survive in high school. But when thrown into a death game, what will he... do?

So, that are my characters. Any kinds of relations are welcome. Friends? Enemies? Rivals? Run into each other once? Whatever it is, if you want to be related, feel free to comment.
V9
Judy Loxley
Ae-Cha Myo
Cynthia Jericho
Sarah Williams
V8
S007 Derek Caldwell [65/134]
S026 Dawn Montogomery [34/134]
S076 Daenerys "D" Todd [72/134]
S106 Ethan Kemp [132/134]
S116 Quentin B. Skinner [94/134]
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

Hello. I’m mostly focusing on off-island stuff for now, but I’m always glad to have a new person join!

Dawn:

Ren’s also a chronic friendly boundary-stepper, but they aren’t exactly very close to dawn. Matching personalities with no hobbies in common. Sometimes, they might just talk about nothing in particular for the sake of talking.
Giselle’s decently social sometimes, when she has the energy for it. However, she… let’s say she doesn’t really know the meaning of the word respect all that well. She treats Dawn with kindness, generally, but a few bad-taste offhand jokes about Anna’s condition and it might all come crashing down.
Betty is popular. High-on-the-totem-pole popular, not has-many-friends popular. What Dawn might assume is a willingness to make conversation might just end up with Betty growing increasingly annoyed with her inability to just take the clue and shut up.
Isaiah has probably talked to her a bit, shown her some kindness, all that. With that said, no shared interests. He thinks of her as someone to draw serotonin and positive vibes from, but has no particular attachment to her and sometimes wishes she would be less clingy- he has other, closer friends to tend to.

Ethan:

Giselle is kind of online, probably knows about Ethan’s channel, but I don’t think their niches adds up. She just knows he exists.
So is Ren

Derek:

Prepare to be clowned on by Giselle tbh. She thinks he’s hilarious in the worst way and that beatboxing is stupid, and she isn’t exactly afraid to say it- even though she also makes it clear that, hey, to each their own, right? She’s pretty weird too, hey you can make fun of her too if you want, I’m sorry I didn’t mean for it to sound rude, OK? I just- hey, why are you so sad??
Ren’s a bit nicer but also has no proficiency in any of his music interests. They’re… well, they’re into music, but, you know… they’re busy juggling their social life around.
Noah isn’t goth but he is goth-adjacent so… there’s like one instance of “hey where did you buy this shirt” “uhhh at (idk any goth stores rip)” “thanks dude” and then they don’t talk that much after that because both are socially inept.

Judy:

Betty thinks she’s annoying but keeps it to herself.
Amerika thinks she’s annoying but she’s too quiet to tell her to stop making jokes so she just awkwardly laughs along
Noah thinks she’s annoying and would call her out on it if she makes a joke out of place. This probably makes him the butt of a light-hearted joke or two. He’d probably only laugh when he’s the subject of a joke, because self-deprecation is all the rage these days.

Do:

Oh, another half-asian kid who gets deep into their mom’s side of the family’s culture because they hate their dad. Unfortunately Erika isn’t into Kpop. She isn’t into anything Korean actually because she’s Japanese. She doesn’t talk to him much but does take note of his high scores and feels bad about not adhering to the asian stereotype of having good grades despite the fact that she knows stereotypes are bad but she just really wants to be good at something in her dad’s eyes OK.
Giselle: “Cool guy. Wonder if I can get him to help me with my math homework sometimes. And Kpop fandom’s kind of a shithole online, sorry not sorry, hope he’s OK and stays away from twitter lol”
Blood Tongue Nails Teeth
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

Thanks for the comment, that is a lot to work with.
Yonagoda wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:16 am Hello. I’m mostly focusing on off-island stuff for now, but I’m always glad to have a new person join!
Since pregame comes before the island, I am fine with that.
Dawn:

Ren’s also a chronic friendly boundary-stepper, but they aren’t exactly very close to dawn. Matching personalities with no hobbies in common. Sometimes, they might just talk about nothing in particular for the sake of talking.
That makes sense, especially since Dawn is not aware of her own boundary-stepping and therefore would not see any connection in their personalities.
Giselle’s decently social sometimes, when she has the energy for it. However, she… let’s say she doesn’t really know the meaning of the word respect all that well. She treats Dawn with kindness, generally, but a few bad-taste offhand jokes about Anna’s condition and it might all come crashing down.
Actually, I wouldn't mind going one step further and saying that such a bad joke already happened and the both tend to be slightly tense around each other. How would that sound?
Betty is popular. High-on-the-totem-pole popular, not has-many-friends popular. What Dawn might assume is a willingness to make conversation might just end up with Betty growing increasingly annoyed with her inability to just take the clue and shut up.
This could result in a dynamic with Ethan since he is the one stopping Dawn when she becomes too overbearing. So Betty might hold him in good regards for helping her out in a way.
Isaiah has probably talked to her a bit, shown her some kindness, all that. With that said, no shared interests. He thinks of her as someone to draw serotonin and positive vibes from, but has no particular attachment to her and sometimes wishes she would be less clingy- he has other, closer friends to tend to.
Nothing to comment here, I am fine with this relation.
Ethan:

Giselle is kind of online, probably knows about Ethan’s channel, but I don’t think their niches adds up. She just knows he exists.
So is Ren
Makes sense to me.
Derek:

Prepare to be clowned on by Giselle tbh. She thinks he’s hilarious in the worst way and that beatboxing is stupid, and she isn’t exactly afraid to say it- even though she also makes it clear that, hey, to each their own, right? She’s pretty weird too, hey you can make fun of her too if you want, I’m sorry I didn’t mean for it to sound rude, OK? I just- hey, why are you so sad??
Not sure if the last part was directed IC at Derek or at me. However, I am fine with this relation. Also Derek has experience with people mocking his hobbies (like his parents), so he would manage that much.
Ren’s a bit nicer but also has no proficiency in any of his music interests. They’re… well, they’re into music, but, you know… they’re busy juggling their social life around.
Noah isn’t goth but he is goth-adjacent so… there’s like one instance of “hey where did you buy this shirt” “uhhh at (idk any goth stores rip)” “thanks dude” and then they don’t talk that much after that because both are socially inept.
This two are agreeable as well.
Judy:

Betty thinks she’s annoying but keeps it to herself.
Amerika thinks she’s annoying but she’s too quiet to tell her to stop making jokes so she just awkwardly laughs along
Noah thinks she’s annoying and would call her out on it if she makes a joke out of place. This probably makes him the butt of a light-hearted joke or two. He’d probably only laugh when he’s the subject of a joke, because self-deprecation is all the rage these days.
Allow me to elaborate this ideas further: Thanks to her analytic nature, Judy is aware of people that don't fall for her persona and avoids them on purpose since nothing good would come out of approaching them. Would you be okay with that?
Do:

Oh, another half-asian kid who gets deep into their mom’s side of the family’s culture because they hate their dad.
Yeah, I have to admit, the basis for Do's character is not the most creativ one.
Unfortunately Erika isn’t into Kpop. She isn’t into anything Korean actually because she’s Japanese. She doesn’t talk to him much but does take note of his high scores and feels bad about not adhering to the asian stereotype of having good grades despite the fact that she knows stereotypes are bad but she just really wants to be good at something in her dad’s eyes OK.
The last part could be a reason for her to feel slight contempt/envy against him, don't you think? Just a thought.
Giselle: “Cool guy. Wonder if I can get him to help me with my math homework sometimes. And Kpop fandom’s kind of a shithole online, sorry not sorry, hope he’s OK and stays away from twitter lol”
That's a funny quote that you can put in your own thread like that.
V9
Judy Loxley
Ae-Cha Myo
Cynthia Jericho
Sarah Williams
V8
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

Actually, I wouldn't mind going one step further and saying that such a bad joke already happened and the both tend to be slightly tense around each other. How would that sound?
Giselle isn't tense about it, I think- its more one sided.

This could result in a dynamic with Ethan since he is the one stopping Dawn when she becomes too overbearing. So Betty might hold him in good regards for helping her out in a way.

She hates him less- but he's... probably almost insignificant enough in her eyed that she doesn't *like* him, just sort of approves of him silently.

last part is ic

That Erika and Do part I did a copy paste mistake
No, not really- She's known for a long time that grades aren't her strong suit, and she doesn't care all that much. She isn't the type to be that jealous- not about grades, anyways.

Other than that I'm fine with everything.
Blood Tongue Nails Teeth
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

Giselle isn't tense about it, I think- its more one sided.
Then i say we make it none-sided. Because it would be kinda out-of-character for Dawn to have lingering negative feelings for someone who doesn't mind what happened.
She hates him less- but he's... probably almost insignificant enough in her eyed that she doesn't *like* him, just sort of approves of him silently.
Guess this works as well.
No, not really- She's known for a long time that grades aren't her strong suit, and she doesn't care all that much. She isn't the type to be that jealous- not about grades, anyways.
Okay. Guess then they just know the other one exists and talk to each other now and then.
Other than that I'm fine with everything.
Nice to hear.

So allow me to repeat everything so we are 100% on the same page:
1. Giselle might make a bad joke about Anna that could set Dawn off, but it hasn't happened yet (might be a scene for pregame).
2. Ren sometimes has friendly small-talk with Dawn, but nothing more.
3. Betty is annoyed by Dawn, but too kind to clearly say it to her face. Also she kinda approves of Ethan for stopping Dawn now and then.
4. Isaiah and Dawn are on friendly speaking-terms, but very loose since Isaiah has other friends who are much more important and time-worthy than his relation to Dawn.
5. Giselle and Ren know about Ethan's youtuber-career, but don't really care because they aren't into movie reviews.
6. Derek is sometimes the butt of Giselle's jokes, but he doesn't mind much since he knows there is no malice behind it.
7. Ren knows Derek exists, but that's that.
8. Noah and Derek once had a short conversation about a t-shirt Derek was wearing.
9. Betty, Noah and Amerika all think that Judy is annoying but don't say it out loud. Noah would be the most likely one to call her out when she goes too far with a joke. Judy however is aware of that and tries to avoid them.
10. Erika knows Do exists and that his notes are better than hers, but doesn't really mind.
11. Giselle thinks Do is a cool guy but apparently doesn't have much contact with him.

So, these are the results so far. If you give your final okay now, we both agree and they become canon (at least until we decide otherwise). Your answer?
V9
Judy Loxley
Ae-Cha Myo
Cynthia Jericho
Sarah Williams
V8
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

mostlyharmfulll wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:47 pm
1. Giselle might make a bad joke about Anna that could set Dawn off, but it hasn't happened yet (might be a scene for pregame).
3. Betty is annoyed by Dawn, but too kind to clearly say it to her face. Also she kinda approves of Ethan for stopping Dawn now and then.
4. Isaiah and Dawn are on friendly speaking-terms, but very loose since Isaiah has other friends who are much more important and time-worthy than his relation to Dawn.
5. Giselle and Ren know about Ethan's youtuber-career, but don't really care because they aren't into movie reviews.
6. Derek is sometimes the butt of Giselle's jokes, but he doesn't mind much since he knows there is no malice behind it.
8. Noah and Derek once had a short conversation about a t-shirt Derek was wearing.
9. Betty, Noah and Amerika all think that Judy is annoying but don't say it out loud. Noah would be the most likely one to call her out when she goes too far with a joke. Judy however is aware of that and tries to avoid them.
10. Erika knows Do exists and that his notes are better than hers, but doesn't really mind.
11. Giselle thinks Do is a cool guy but apparently doesn't have much contact with him.

So, these are the results so far. If you give your final okay now, we both agree and they become canon (at least until we decide otherwise). Your answer?
Sure! It works.
Blood Tongue Nails Teeth
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

Yonagoda wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:08 pm
mostlyharmfulll wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:47 pm

Sure! It works.
Good answer!
Looking forward to make use of these connections in pregame if the opportunity arises.
V9
Judy Loxley
Ae-Cha Myo
Cynthia Jericho
Sarah Williams
V8
backslash

Post by backslash »

Right off, I see a potential connection with Iris and Do, as they're both involved in student council and are somewhat nerdy; if he can tolerate clingy people, they could get along well.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

backslash wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:04 am Right off, I see a potential connection with Iris and Do, as they're both involved in student council and are somewhat nerdy; if he can tolerate clingy people, they could get along well.
First of all thanks for the interest in my characters! Now onto your proposal:

I can't find anything about Iris having a connection to the student council on your own Relationship-Thread or in the Club/Team-Masterpost, so I will just assume she is a member of it.
When it comes to the Student Council, Do tends to be hard-working and has the habit of expecting the same level of commitment from the other members. Apart from that, he is pretty laid-back. He wouldn't mind any clingyness or other strange behaviour as long as she pulls her weight and does her part on the student council.
But if said clingyness gets in the way of work, he would instantly call her out on it. His tone would be polite, but strict.

The thing with Do being nerdy is a little bit complex: yes, Do is actuallly quite nerdy, not only in regards to korean culture but also in general. However, this only counts for his spare time. At school, he tries to be a model student, relaxing only with his peers in the K-Pop Club. As a result, many of his classmates think he is a strict partypooper (which he admittetly is now and then, but not as much as it seems at first glance). So if Iris only has contact with him while doing Student-Council-stuff, she would only see his hard-worker-attitude and not even know of his nerdy side.

In order to explain this relation, I think there would need to be some background on how she got to know Do outside of the Student Council. Like that they met by chance at a concert/other nerdy event or that she found out he is in the K-Pop Club.

Or maybe I am putting too much thought into this. This is my first time here, so I don't know how much explanations relationships need.

What do you think about this?
V9
Judy Loxley
Ae-Cha Myo
Cynthia Jericho
Sarah Williams
V8
backslash

Post by backslash »

mostlyharmfulll wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:36 pm
backslash wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:04 am Right off, I see a potential connection with Iris and Do, as they're both involved in student council and are somewhat nerdy; if he can tolerate clingy people, they could get along well.
First of all thanks for the interest in my characters! Now onto your proposal:

I can't find anything about Iris having a connection to the student council on your own Relationship-Thread or in the Club/Team-Masterpost, so I will just assume she is a member of it.
When it comes to the Student Council, Do tends to be hard-working and has the habit of expecting the same level of commitment from the other members. Apart from that, he is pretty laid-back. He wouldn't mind any clingyness or other strange behaviour as long as she pulls her weight and does her part on the student council.
But if said clingyness gets in the way of work, he would instantly call her out on it. His tone would be polite, but strict.

The thing with Do being nerdy is a little bit complex: yes, Do is actuallly quite nerdy, not only in regards to korean culture but also in general. However, this only counts for his spare time. At school, he tries to be a model student, relaxing only with his peers in the K-Pop Club. As a result, many of his classmates think he is a strict partypooper (which he admittetly is now and then, but not as much as it seems at first glance). So if Iris only has contact with him while doing Student-Council-stuff, she would only see his hard-worker-attitude and not even know of his nerdy side.

In order to explain this relation, I think there would need to be some background on how she got to know Do outside of the Student Council. Like that they met by chance at a concert/other nerdy event or that she found out he is in the K-Pop Club.

Or maybe I am putting too much thought into this. This is my first time here, so I don't know how much explanations relationships need.

What do you think about this?
And that's a good reminder to actually update my relationship thread with my kids' activities! But yes, Iris has participated in student council throughout high school and is planning to run for a cabinet position in senior year, so they've probably seen a lot of each other if he's also been on the council for a while.

Iris doesn't have a particular interest in K-pop or concerts, but she does enjoy socializing and would be completely willing to tag along with friends if they attended any such event, so I think it's very plausible she and Do could have bumped into each other at something like that, or another event catering to one of his outside interests. That could be a fun thing for them to have bonded over if she got to see him in a different light outside of school.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

backslash wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:49 pm And that's a good reminder to actually update my relationship thread with my kids' activities! But yes, Iris has participated in student council throughout high school and is planning to run for a cabinet position in senior year, so they've probably seen a lot of each other if he's also been on the council for a while.

Iris doesn't have a particular interest in K-pop or concerts, but she does enjoy socializing and would be completely willing to tag along with friends if they attended any such event, so I think it's very plausible she and Do could have bumped into each other at something like that, or another event catering to one of his outside interests. That could be a fun thing for them to have bonded over if she got to see him in a different light outside of school.
Okay, I would be fine with that. So she at first knew him as a serious student, then met by chance at a concert/convention/cinema-visit/anything else and there she learned he is deeper than that.

Now I would only like to exactly pinpoint at what kind of outing they met. Do is currently still in progress and could be ionterested in anything, so what would you prefer for a meeting spot?
V9
Judy Loxley
Ae-Cha Myo
Cynthia Jericho
Sarah Williams
V8
Cicada

Post by Cicada »

Been liking the thought and depth you've been putting into the relationship fleshing out process so far! Allow me to offer some ideas as well (and if you have any thoughts about on island ideas, feel free to PM/discord those to me away from prying eyes, I'm open to tossing ideas around):
[+] ideas
Dawn -
Cedar - This might be a bit of a stretch, but since Cedar is a sickly girl I'm wondering if Dawn might be predisposed to be attentive to folks like her? And to be meddling in a way that Cedar is normally used to going the other way around- normally she is the one who bothers other people out of slightly intrusive concern over them? Cedar is theoretically more careful with boundaries and not being too obtrusive with her tendency to reach out to others, but I dunno. There might be room here for the two of them to settle into an equilibrium of mutual respect and mutual aid since they are both the selfless sort. And for Cedar to be sometimes uncomfortable since she's not used to that sort of dynamic.
Ashlyn - Fellow extroverted girls. Ash would be the sort to tell Dawn she's being too nosy, like, almost immediately at the moment it happens. How Dawn might respond to Ash being so blunt would be up to you. She otherwise wouldn't mind how forward and idealistic Dawn is (or at least how I'm reading the concept to play out), and would hold her in good regard even if there's no specific reason for them to hang out one on one.
Salam - Also respectively too well plugged into the school social system to not be on good terms, probably. He probably thinks she's cute in a platonic way.

Ethan -
Ashlyn - Of all the above who might not have too much to think about Ethan specifically besides being Dawn's second-in-command, Ashlyn might be interested in getting to know him specifically because movie reviews. Depends on his opinions on the horror genre, but she's always very low key interested in geeking out over them with others who are into the genre the way she is.

Derek -
Cedar - Possibilities here. He seems like the sort of guy Cedar might develop an infatuation for, and she might have tried in the past to get his attention and be a good friend/emotional vent source, along with the awkwardly asking him out eventually. Given his particular set of conflicting hobbies she might have had a prior hand in percolating some of those if they ever got close- since she's also big into K-Pop, maybe her skill as an artist was part of what leads him to have interest/insecurities over his own interests in drawing? If they ever actually got into a relationship this could all be complexified quite a bit, of course.

Judy -
Callie - The two super cynical calculating sorts colliding and Callie trying to turn the 'innocent' class clown onto stupid post-truth memes and conspiracies might be an interesting scene to write through the narrative of, honestly.
Salem - Casual passing friends, both clowns who hide a more complex personality and world outlook behind their simpler, stupider selves. I doubt either of them can get a read past the other's surface level posturing, so they're mutually ignorant of each other's truer vibes. So ironically she might think he's a vapid idiot whos easy to clown around, etc.
Soo-bin - Mutuals in Drama Club. Soo-bin is probably always looking for an excuse to lighten the mood since she's perpetually overworked and on edge, so she might like Judy quite a bit and Judy might think Soo-bin's an easy mark.

Do -
Soo-bin - Probably respects his seriousness and ambition quite a bit from a distance and feels unworthy, etc. I could see this being a one-sided crush on her part, he doesn't really know who she is, etc.
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

Cool to see someone wanting to get some relations done. Let's get to your ideas:
Cicada wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:09 am Dawn -
Cedar - This might be a bit of a stretch, but since Cedar is a sickly girl I'm wondering if Dawn might be predisposed to be attentive to folks like her?
This isn't a stretch at all. Dawn is actively looking for people who appear to need help, so she would naturally have an eye on Cedar once she finds out about her condition.
And to be meddling in a way that Cedar is normally used to going the other way around- normally she is the one who bothers other people out of slightly intrusive concern over them? Cedar is theoretically more careful with boundaries and not being too obtrusive with her tendency to reach out to others, but I dunno. There might be room here for the two of them to settle into an equilibrium of mutual respect and mutual aid since they are both the selfless sort. And for Cedar to be sometimes uncomfortable since she's not used to that sort of dynamic.
This sounds like a solid friendship.
I also have another idea for a relation: In your thread you write that Cedar likes "cosplay, sewing and costuming". Dawn is in the Knitting Club, enjoys knitting clothes and in her profile it is explicitely stated she sometimes gives her knitted clothing away. So maybe Dawn sometimes helps Cedar by creating some parts of her cosplay? That would be another reason for them to interact.
Ashlyn - Fellow extroverted girls. Ash would be the sort to tell Dawn she's being too nosy, like, almost immediately at the moment it happens. How Dawn might respond to Ash being so blunt would be up to you. She otherwise wouldn't mind how forward and idealistic Dawn is (or at least how I'm reading the concept to play out), and would hold her in good regard even if there's no specific reason for them to hang out one on one.
The idea with Dawn is that she is bad at reading the room, has trouble with non-verbal clues and tends to jump to conclusions. I know in her first thread she might come off as a little bit stupid and overly naive, but that is only because neither Alex nor Amos clearly told her "no" and went along with her behaviour, giving her no reason to question her actions.
What I am getting at is that while Dawn doesn't notices when she oversteps lines, the moment someone points it out to her she instantly jumps back. In fact, her best friend Ethan does it all the time.
So yeah, Dawn wouldn't mind being bluntly told to knock it down a little. She and Ashlyn could get along.
Salam - Also respectively too well plugged into the school social system to not be on good terms, probably. He probably thinks she's cute in a platonic way.
Sounds fine to me.
Ethan -
Ashlyn - Of all the above who might not have too much to think about Ethan specifically besides being Dawn's second-in-command, Ashlyn might be interested in getting to know him specifically because movie reviews. Depends on his opinions on the horror genre, but she's always very low key interested in geeking out over them with others who are into the genre the way she is.
Ethan likes horror and talking about movies, so yeah, I second this relation.
Derek -
Cedar - Possibilities here. He seems like the sort of guy Cedar might develop an infatuation for, and she might have tried in the past to get his attention and be a good friend/emotional vent source, along with the awkwardly asking him out eventually. Given his particular set of conflicting hobbies she might have had a prior hand in percolating some of those if they ever got close- since she's also big into K-Pop, maybe her skill as an artist was part of what leads him to have interest/insecurities over his own interests in drawing? If they ever actually got into a relationship this could all be complexified quite a bit, of course.
While I think the two could be friends, I don't know if a romantic relationship would make sense. According to your thread, Cedar is "woke and strongly into social justice causes". Derek on the other hand is more a fan of political incorrectness (that part if his character wasn't there back when I started the thread). They could be friends, but their contradicting political viewpoints could be in the way of a deeper relationship.
Also the drawing-thing is something I would be okay with.
Judy -
Callie - The two super cynical calculating sorts colliding and Callie trying to turn the 'innocent' class clown onto stupid post-truth memes and conspiracies might be an interesting scene to write through the narrative of, honestly.
To be honest, I am not sure what "post-truth memes" are.
Salem - Casual passing friends, both clowns who hide a more complex personality and world outlook behind their simpler, stupider selves. I doubt either of them can get a read past the other's surface level posturing, so they're mutually ignorant of each other's truer vibes. So ironically she might think he's a vapid idiot whos easy to clown around, etc.
That sounds pretty solid and is accepted on my side.
Soo-bin - Mutuals in Drama Club. Soo-bin is probably always looking for an excuse to lighten the mood since she's perpetually overworked and on edge, so she might like Judy quite a bit and Judy might think Soo-bin's an easy mark.
Sounds fair.
Do -
Soo-bin - Probably respects his seriousness and ambition quite a bit from a distance and feels unworthy, etc. I could see this being a one-sided crush on her part, he doesn't really know who she is, etc.
Do is kinda clueless when it comes to romance, so the crush-part could work.

Also regarding the offer about island-ideas: I think I will take you up on that. I have already a few things planned for my characters, but I am not sure how realistic they are in SOTF. So the opinion of an more experienced user would be usefull.
have a nice day.
V9
Judy Loxley
Ae-Cha Myo
Cynthia Jericho
Sarah Williams
V8
Cicada

Post by Cicada »

[+] reply
mostlyharmfulll wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:29 pm This isn't a stretch at all. Dawn is actively looking for people who appear to need help, so she would naturally have an eye on Cedar once she finds out about her condition.
This sounds like a solid friendship.
I also have another idea for a relation: In your thread you write that Cedar likes "cosplay, sewing and costuming". Dawn is in the Knitting Club, enjoys knitting clothes and in her profile it is explicitly stated she sometimes gives her knitted clothing away. So maybe Dawn sometimes helps Cedar by creating some parts of her cosplay? That would be another reason for them to interact.

Since Dawn is the generally bad at reading the room sort and Cedar typically isn't the sort to bring things up when they bother her, would you be alright with this being a 'Dawn goes a bit overboard at times' with her concern style of relationship? As for the knitting club idea, maybe? I think I'd cast Cedar as preferring to make all her costume pieces strictly herself though. It would be as likely that Cedar might invite Dawn along to her weekend 'sew stuff' get-togethers, perhaps. If Dawn would accept being trapped in with weebs blasting anime music every now and then.

The idea with Dawn is that she is bad at reading the room, has trouble with non-verbal clues and tends to jump to conclusions. I know in her first thread she might come off as a little bit stupid and overly naive, but that is only because neither Alex nor Amos clearly told her "no" and went along with her behaviour, giving her no reason to question her actions.
What I am getting at is that while Dawn doesn't notices when she oversteps lines, the moment someone points it out to her she instantly jumps back. In fact, her best friend Ethan does it all the time.
So yeah, Dawn wouldn't mind being bluntly told to knock it down a little. She and Ashlyn could get along.

They wouldn't be that close, mostly because there's not much for them to actually talk about, but I think Dawn might appreciate someone who even in passing is that honest. My take on it, anyways.

While I think the two could be friends, I don't know if a romantic relationship would make sense. According to your thread, Cedar is "woke and strongly into social justice causes". Derek on the other hand is more a fan of political incorrectness (that part if his character wasn't there back when I started the thread). They could be friends, but their contradicting political viewpoints could be in the way of a deeper relationship.
Also the drawing-thing is something I would be okay with.

Makes sense to me. I actually think I could play it as, she starts out having a crush but realizes he and her don't quite get along in the PC department and her opinion of him cools some. She wouldn't ghost him or anything but she might be less interested in engaging with him of her own volition.

To be honest, I am not sure what "post-truth memes" are.

The more post-modernist, fake news style of humor and internet discourse is what I meant by that. Long story short, they shit post at one another live.

Do is kinda clueless when it comes to romance, so the crush-part could work.

What I specifically had in mind here is that he probably doesn't really know she exists?
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

Cicada wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:12 pm Since Dawn is the generally bad at reading the room sort and Cedar typically isn't the sort to bring things up when they bother her, would you be alright with this being a 'Dawn goes a bit overboard at times' with her concern style of relationship?
So Dawn gets sometimes a little bit too up&close, but Cedar understands that Dawn doesn't mean it in a bad way. Is this what you had in mind?
As for the knitting club idea, maybe? I think I'd cast Cedar as preferring to make all her costume pieces strictly herself though. It would be as likely that Cedar might invite Dawn along to her weekend 'sew stuff' get-togethers, perhaps. If Dawn would accept being trapped in with weebs blasting anime music every now and then.
Alternatively to helping with a cosplay, Dawn might have just gifted her something for birthday or so. That is another thing I wrote in her profile.
Dawn likes to find out more about the interests of her friends, so she wouldn't mind attending some otaku-outing. As long as they don't play Levan Polka for two hours or something.
They wouldn't be that close, mostly because there's not much for them to actually talk about, but I think Dawn might appreciate someone who even in passing is that honest. My take on it, anyways.
Okay.
Makes sense to me. I actually think I could play it as, she starts out having a crush but realizes he and her don't quite get along in the PC department and her opinion of him cools some. She wouldn't ghost him or anything but she might be less interested in engaging with him of her own volition.
Sounds fair. SO they are friends, but not very close ones. And they used to be closer.
The more post-modernist, fake news style of humor and internet discourse is what I meant by that. Long story short, they shit post at one another live.
So they try to one-up each other in making the dumbest joke possible? Judy can be quite competitive, so she would enjoy such a challenge on occasion, as long as it doesn't get too perverted or impolite.
What I specifically had in mind here is that he probably doesn't really know she exists?
So a hidden crush? Okay, that goes as well.
V9
Judy Loxley
Ae-Cha Myo
Cynthia Jericho
Sarah Williams
V8

Return to “V8 Pregame Planning”