Songtest #136: Girl's Night 2: Women's History Month Edition Boogaloo

Calling all Mothers

SOTF's own Eurovision-style song contest. Submit songs that fit the theme and get mercilessly judged on your taste in music here.
Laurels

Songtest #136: Girl's Night 2: Women's History Month Edition Boogaloo

Post by Laurels »

Hello everyone!

As Blizzard has ceded the rights to host the next songtest, I will gladly take the reins for this contest. Even though we are halfway through Women's History Month, celebrating women is a year-round event, so for that, we're bringing back an old theme.

Theme: Girl's Night 2

For those who weren't in the previous contest (from 5 years ago!), this is a songtest where all songs must be performed by female musicians. The specific details for this contest from the previous one:

1. Your song must be performed by a female artist. This does include any trans/non-binary women.
2. If you are selecting a song by a band, the song itself must be sung by a woman. There can be men in the band, but the vocals must be primarily performed by a woman. There can be male backup vocals, but the heavy lifting has to be a woman (ex. CHVRCHES is composed of two men and one woman, but to use any of their songs, you must pick a song primarily sung by Lauren Mayberry and not Martin Doherty. If there's a song that's primarily sung by Lauren and Martin does some background vocals, it will count).

Otherwise, I will not be too strict on entrants and the subject of the songs submitted.

[+] and the other rules, I guess
- submit your song via PM or discord, whichever's easier for you

- songs will be randomly divided into 1, 2 or 3 semifinals depending on turnout. if there are less than 20 submissions within 5 days, then there will only be one final round. if you're going to be away at some point in the next couple of weeks, let me know and I can try to put your song in a round when you'll be here.

- listen to every song and give points to your top 10 favorites: 12 to your favorite, 10 to your second, 8 to your third, 7 to your fourth, and so on down to 1 point for your tenth favorite. if there are less than 10 songs to vote for in a round, then simply cut off the bottom portion of the ballot (i.e. no 1 point songs, no 2 point songs, and so on)

- if your song is in a given round, you must vote that round or you'll be eliminated. if your song isn't in that round (or you aren't in the contest at all), your vote will be counted as a public vote, which counts for half points.
- the top [x] songs will move on to the final. that number depends on the number of contestants.
- repeat the process for the finals and we get a winner.

- winner gets to hold the next contest, or they can pass the job along to 2nd place if they don't want to. 2nd place can pass down to third, etc, until someone wants to host.

general song rules:
- no eurovision songs
- no reality show/competition covers
- no songs already submitted in a songtest - thank you to Dancake for the list here
- there is no penalty for length in this contest. however, if a song goes over 7 minutes, listeners aren't obligated to listen to more than the first 7 minutes of the song. so choose a long song at your own risk!

each semifinal and the final will last for three days. some rules about activity:
- if you know at the start of your semifinal that you wont be available to vote for those three days, let me know asap and I can move you to another semi, if we aren't on the final one already.
- I'll be pinging everyone who hasn't voted on discord 48 and 24 hours before the round ends.

I will be accepting submissions until 8 pm EST on Friday, March 22nd, with the voting opening that evening. Likewise, because I will be on reduced activity from March 23-27, I will run voting until 6 pm EST on Friday, March 29th.

Let's go girls!

Entrants:
1. Me!
2. Fiori
3. Zimikyu
4. Slam
5. AnimeNerd
6. Professor Fether
7. Jilly
8. Buko
9. Carlisle
10. Pancapples
11. Dr. Adjective
12. Maraoone
13. DerArknight
14. Lord of Awesome
15. dmboogie
16. Krabbs
17. Ruggahissy
18. f1inch3z
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

FINALS

Alright ladies! Let's get to it! It's Ladies Night in the club and there's only so many drink tickets to go around, so let's see who gets 'em.
Contestants

1. Me!
2. Fiori
3. Zimikyu
4. Slam
5. AnimeNerd
6. Professor Fether
7. Jilly
8. Buko
9. Carlisle
10. Pancapples
11. Dr. Adjective
12. Maraoone
13. DerArknight
14. Lord of Awesome
15. dmboogie
16. midnight_twelve
17. Ruggahissy
18. f1inch3z

And here are the songs:

Maps by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Head in the Wall by Ethel Cain
Ieya by Toyah
The Dismemberment Song by Blue Kid
Pretty Baby by Blondie
Foreign Bodies by Lucy Swann
Everything for Free by EarlyRise
Hourglass by Alice Chater
Whirring by The Joy Formidable
Borderline by Madonna
He Wasn't Man Enough by Toni Braxton
Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes
Tokyo Funk Sessions 2022 by Nao Yoshioka
Dreamer by Laufey
What a Way to Die by Pleasure Seekers
Cardboard Box by FLO
Lipstick Masquerade by Carpenter Brut ft. Persha
All Mirrors by Angel Olsen

Voting will run until 6 pm EST on Friday, March 29th. I will be on reduced activity from 3/23-27, so I will be enforcing this deadline and will try to confirm votes when I receive them.

Have fun!

Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Bumping the final deadline to Saturday, March 30 at 6 pm EST. There will be no further extensions.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

RESULTS

Alright, the club is closing, and it's time to start clearing the ladies out. Let's see who held out the longest.
[+] DQs
Borderline by Madonna, submitted by Jilly. It received 40 points, including two 8s. It would have placed 14th if not disqualified.

He Wasn't Man Enough by Toni Braxton, submitted by Buko. It received 60 points, including one 12 and one 10. It would have placed 8th if not disqualified.
[+] 16th place
Cardboard Box by FLO, submitted by AnimeNerd. It received 23 points, including one 8.
[+] 15th place
What a Way to Die by Pleasure Seekers, submitted by Pancapples. It received 26 points.
[+] 14th place
Pretty Baby by Blondie, submitted by midnight_twelve. It received 35 points.
[+] 13th place
The Dismemberment Song by Blue Kid, submitted by Lord of Awesome. It received 36 points, including two 10s.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

[+] 12th place
Foreign Bodies by Lucy Swann, submitted by dmboogie. It received 45 points, including one 10 and one 8.
[+] 11th place
Tokyo Funk Sessions 2022 by Nao Yoshioka, submitted by Zimikyu. It received 46.5 points, including one 10. It tied with the song in 10th place, but lost the tiebreaker.
[+] 10th place
All Mirrors by Angel Olsen, submitted by Ruggahissy. It received 46.5 points, including two 10s. It tied with the song in 11th place, but won the tiebreaker.
[+] 9th place
Everything for Free by EarlyRise, submitted by DerArknight. It received 49 points, including one 12 and two 8s. It tied with the song in 8th place, but lost the tiebreaker.
[+] 8th place
Ieya by Toyah, submitted by Professor Fether. It received 49 points, including three 12s. It tied with the song in 9th place, but won the tiebreaker.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

[+] 7th place
Head in the Wall by Ethel Cain, submitted by Dr. Adjective. It received 61 points, including two 10s and two 8s.
[+] 6th place
Whirring by The Joy Formidable, submitted by me, Laurels. It received 63 points, including two 12s and an 8.
[+] 5th place
Dreamer by Laufey, submitted by f1nch3z. It received 69 nice points, including three 12s and an 8.
[+] 4th place
Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes, submitted by Slam. It received 74 points, including one 12, two 10s, and three 8s.
[+] 3rd place
Maps by Yeah Yeah Yeahs!, submitted by Maraoone. It received 75 points, including two 12s, a 10, and two 8s.
[+] Final 2
Hourglass by Alice Chater vs. Lipstick Masquerade by Carpenter Brut ft. Persha
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

And now, the moment you've all be waiting for....

the top diva....

the winner....

of Songtest #136....

is....

HOURGLASS BY ALICE CHATER

This song was submitted by Carlisle and received 80.5 points, including two 12s and two 10s.

The runner-up is Lipstick Masquerade by Carpenter Brut ft. Persha. It was submitted by Fiori and received 78.5 points, including a 12, two 10s, and an 8.

Carlisle is the winner of this songtest. They have earned the right to host the next songtest or pass it to the next in line.

Thank you all for supporting women in the music industry!

Return to “Song Contests”