The V1 Read-A-Thon

Discuss anything and everything that has to do with SOTF here -- from your favorite character to comments and suggestions about the site! This forum also contains roleplaying guides for your benefit!
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

(Original post by Aura)

Rais Sekth is barely a character. His profile has many usual v1 trappings, including a tragic backstory, manipulative behavior, and violent tendencies. So he reads as a pre-made player along the same vein as quite a few others who existed on the island.

On the island, he might as well have been a nonentity. His first thread consists of two very short posts where he does nothing of note, and in his second thread he gets backstabbed by Jacob Starr in order to give Jacob another gun and another name on his resume.

At the end of the day, Rais was just fodder who, despite his profile building him up as a dangerous person, offered virtually nothing at all. I can't recommend him because there is absolutely nothing of interest about him or his story.

Another character, if you please.
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

(Original post by Flare)

Elijah Rice! So I pulled me a TERRORIST, nice.

Before I get into the actual factuals of Elijah's character, I will comment on the idea of putting some disgraced members of Danya's crew onto the island along the students. It reminds me of V4's rescue in terms of something big and out of the box that shakes up the way the game is played, so I appreciate the creativity behind it. The execution... well, it fits V1's style, I can say that. Which means it ends up resulting in mostly a lot of badly written action scenes and the concept doesn't get fully fleshed out. It's sort of a shame.

As part of the whole plot hook, the terrorists have all had their vocal chords ripped out. This means that Elijah has no dialogue to speak of, only internal monologue. While I'm sure, given the rest of the writing, any dialogue he might have had would have been mainly comprised of heartless, terrorist-y grandstanding, the lack of any option at all for his character to verbally communicate puts a damper on the whole idea of a terrorists vs. students conflict in the first place. This is evidenced in the first thread he enters, where he shoots two girls before agreeing to team up with Clemence because he admires her... kill-y nature or whatever. Nothing of real interest.

NEXT THREAD: He shows up with Clemence at the hospital and they decide to murder everyone because, y'know, SOTF. It's almost entirely action, Elijah is still pretty heartless and unrelatable, and barely anyone ends up dying anyways.
To sum it up, it was a very disappointing scene.
Elijah's handler seems to have gone inactive, because his final thread is a one-off DODDPOST. It is labeled with "(Intense and Extreme content warning)".

Should be... fun.

Elijah runs into Sidney Crosby and smacks him with his assault rifle, starting a scuffle between the two of them. It goes back and forth, with Sidney stealing the gun and Elijah starting to strangle him anyways... until the man, the myth, the legend, ADAM DODD himself shows up to save Sidney. Elijah gets up to get going with the whole murder thing...

And Adam unsheathes a sword and BISECTS ELIJAH RICE.

OK.

CONCLUSION: Elijah was barely enough of a character to even bother recommending him or not. He's given no real characterization, not even all that over the top in his evil-ness compared to Clemence, is barely on the island for that long, and his death scene barely gives him any credit at all and mostly just exists for Adam and Sidney. Hard pass.

---

Gimme another
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

(Original post by Blastinus)

August Masbeth's handler would very much like you to know that this character is absolutely nothing like Helena Van Garrett, despite coming from about the same background and being best friends with Helena herself. See, the big difference, as we'll soon discover, is that she accidentally burned down her mother's bakery and killed her sister. That's basically it so far as characterization goes, so let's hop right in.

To be honest, her first thread starts out pretty solidly. She meets a guy named Terry Woodard and, having discussed that neither one is in the mood for playing, just sit down and have a casual conversation, getting to know one another and fleshing out their characters a little. It's a decent scene, but suddenly August's handler decides that the scene is boring, so they invite none other than Hawley Faust in to play. Now Hawley, being Hawley, is confrontational at best, but decides to not try anything directly, instead sending off a parting shot as he leaves the scene. Pretty simple action, and a sudden shock to end the thread. Now then, let's-

What do you mean there's eight more pages?

That's right, having been shot at, the two of them dust themselves off and get right back to talking. I'll freely admit that I started skimming it after a while. It's not that it's bad writing or anything. It's just that it's basically a back and forth of two characters going over the usual talking points that, by this point, have become rote cliches. What weapons did we get? Are we playing? What do we do if we encounter a player? Who do you think is playing? What friends should we be looking for? You could probably make a mad libs for "Non-Player Conversations" based on this scene alone.

Fortunately, Kichiro Taka awakes in the general area. Time to finally break the tedium, right? Instead, there's the briefest amount of tension and distrust, and it's right back to mad libs again. Kichiro leaves, and they finally decide to move on themselves, this entire 12-page thread having basically gone in one ear and out the other.

Anyways, in the amount of time it takes to go from thread one to thread two, Helena's been whacked by Hawley, and so it's now revenge time! Finally some action! And the scene is really, really fun. Riseruga's writing is one of the highest points of quality in V1, and Hawley's struggle with fighting off Terry and August simultaneously is well-written and entertaining. He prevails in the end, of course, but without making it seem cheap or contrived. And to that point, I have to say that I wish that orangeflamingo had more characters to run against riseruga's, because the two of them writing action scenes together can wring out pure gold. I would probably skip August's first thread, but I would definitely put both Helena and August's final scenes on a must-read list for V1.

Can I please have another?
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

(Original post by MurderWeasel)

This is somewhat scattered and I didn't proof it. But here it is.

Spoiler!
Well, this is what regret feels like because I've already read all of Nanami except her first post and rereading stuff is pretty much the bane of my existence. On the other hand, Nanami ties into some thoughts I have regarding one of V1's most famous characters so I get to explore that a little, which is the lemonade I am making.

V1 profiles are weird to a modern eye. Nanami's is actually really long for V1, detailing her relationship with her overly-critical single mother (though Nanami also doesn't really know how to assert herself) and her return to Japan. This latter bit is where we're first introduced to Nanami's most substantial relationship: Madelaine Shirohara (who you've probably heard of at some point or other). Madelaine is also handled by LadyMakaze, and Nanami is used as a very flattering lens through which to examine her, with stuff like:
Madelaine always stood out for her coolness and maturity, as well as her confident nature. She was always looking after others, and though she never paid attention to the fact, there were people who looked up to the older-sister figure Madelaine Shirohara. Comparing herself to Madelaine, Nanami saw herself as plain and mediocre, having no special qualities of her own, and even went so far to believe that Madelaine only befriended Nanami out of pity.
We then learn that Nanami secretly resents Madelaine heavily. Madelaine moved to the US, and then Nanami did too, but only a week before the abduction (and she was not at the same school as Madelaine). This is actually a thing I quarrel with somewhat, because it's an end-of-school trip for Barry Coleson, and I'm not really sure what use it is to stick Nanami into class for only a week or two of finals. It also has no bearing whatsoever on her abduction, since she was snatched on her way to school, rather than from it.

So, the good stuff from Nanami's profile is mostly her core concept. She's a bottler, one prone to passive aggression. She's a follower and she absolutely hates that; she's torn between a desire to be her own person and a fear that she can't possibly succeed. It's a potent cocktail of traits all set to boil over in an SOTF situation.

What's less great is the Madelaine focus. I've insinuated a little, but Madelaine is treated as a real focal point of Nanami's profile, and this centering on Madelaine continues in the actual game. It's not a particularly interactive manner of writing, and it does not actually do its job from my perspective; I sort of resent being told how awesome Madelaine is when there's nothing yet to back it up. I also don't dig the coincidence of Nanami being the sole student from her Oregon school to be abducted by the same group that took the class including her best friend/secret foe. This is compounded by something we'll talk about soon: Nanami almost instantly runs into Madelaine in-game.

So, the game begins. Nanami is wondering around on the dirt path, and we're told that she's studiously avoided all other contact thus far, fearing death at the hands of the others, all strangers to her. Nanami muses, though, that she could kill in self defense if need be. She's also upset at going it alone, though, feeling lost without someone to guide her—that someone, she muses, would usually be Madelaine. There's an awkward bit where Nanami muses that though Madelaine would be super useful in this sort of situation, she's probably not here, and she stops crying and walks on, telling herself she'll never have to rely on Madelaine again.

This is an alright intro that does a good job setting up some of Nanami's internal conflict and detailing her very unique situation. It is also, I feel, undercut really hard by the fact that Nanami runs into Madelaine in her very next post.

Nanami trips over a rock and as she rights herself sees a group nearby, and is shocked to realize that one of the students in it is also improbably wearing the same Japanese school uniform she is. Adam Dodd is the only one to really notice Nanami's arrival, but he's blasted out of his mind on morphine (which is one of the recurring themes in V1 Dodd's story that is, I feel, a really mixed bag, but that's a conversation for another time). David Jackson suggests just shooting her to save the potential for trouble, but is stopped by Marcus Roddy, who rather astutely points out that that's not a course of action fitting to those styling themselves as the good guys. Everyone else also chews David out, and he replies that he's just being cautious—his inattention almost got members of the group hurt before, and there's no telling if this girl might attack them. Everyone calls David awful for this (spoilers: he's Cassandra in this situation).

Nanami's narrative features some casual sexism that is a bit tricky to say whether comes from Nanami herself or the narrative, but I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt and say it shows Nanami's "traditional" values and lack of self confidence. That said, it's an odd quirk that's pretty common n early SOTF and I'm really quite glad it's fallen away. Here's the bit:
wrote:
It was bad enough that a girl with a shotgun, of all things, approached her. But this new stranger was a boy, much more rowdy, much more dangerous than any girl. She hid her eyes behind pale, shaking hands, letting out gasps and sobs as both girl and boy began to argue.
Nanami bargains in her head for more time, and that's a great little moment of desperation on her part. Madelaine finally notices her and this is where I start to have issues with the scene.
wrote:
One girl out of those 300...the chances were extremely slim...but somehow, Madelaine knew as soon as she saw her crying form, that it just had to be...

"...Nanami?" she murmured, trembling slightly. Her stance weakened a bit as she stepped forward, almost unsteadily. "It can't be..."
I'll bring this up more throughout the scene, but my huge gripe with Madelaine is she feels like a fanfiction character escaped into SOTF. Madelaine is special, the one who stands out, the one stuff revolves around... not due to anything she particularly does or says or is, but because of how the narrative and the other characters treat her. Her prose is notably more flourish-filled than anyone else's, and her plotlines are jam-packed with (sometimes unearned) drama. It makes tons of sense why she was a huge deal in V1, when a ton of characters had posts that were one or two paragraphs without punctuation, and honestly the era was much closer to BR fanfic than to the current styling. On the other hand, SOTF was developing into its thing already—the seeds of the current game can easily be seen in characters like Hawley Faust and Adam Dodd—and I feel like by comparison Madelaine has aged very poorly. Her interactions with Nanami showcase these issues repeatedly.

There's a bit that's very well-written tracking Nanami's progressing lies (though some of the actual details don't quite mesh well—2005 was a long time ago but not that long, so I'm not totally sure why Nanami's primary mode of communication with Madelaine is snail mail).

We also start to see some of the cracks in Madelaine's nice girl act as she comforts Nanami:
Now, she continued to hold onto Nanami, as the shorter girl buried her face into Madelaine's shoulder, letting out muffled sobs and soaking her blazer with tears. At this, Madelaine could not help but feel a tinge of nostalgia. She remembered holding onto Nanami like this while she cried over this incident concerning some boy, back in junior high...though she never knew the details. Nanami always got hurt over seemingly petty things...it was understandable how someone like her could break down completely in situation like this.
Nanami is apparently Madelaine's best friend. I think it's a bit telling that she didn't bother to figure out what made Nanami upset. She thinks Nanami's concerns are overreactions to little stuff.

Madelaine promises Nanami that the group will get out alive together, but Nanmi, in a pretty good moment, is appalled at the thought of trusting her life to those who just casually contemplated shooting her. Nanami wants to leave... and to bring Madelaine with her. It's revealed that this is mostly manipulation; Nanami knows that Madelaine is such a kind and caring person she'll gladly give her life for those she cares about (meaning Nanami) and wants to use her as a tool, without the baggage of the group.

The issue here is that's a really quick jump in motivations on Nanami's part since the only thing that happened between this and the post before was Hawley glancing vaguely in their direction.

Anyways, Dodd is having none of it and unleashes a string of incredibly inappropriate commentary. Madelaine slaps him and it's treated pretty decently actually, in that the rest of the thread doesn't like it. It's also used to plug Madelaine again:
Nanami had watched silently as Madelaine walked up to Adam to deliver a slap to the face, suddenly reminded of days long past. It was not the first time that Shirohara-san had defended her so fiercely. There was that incident when a group of boys tried to torment her, and Shirohara single-handedly scared them off with only words and a single slap.
Callum Hadely's handler posts to remind everyone that Callum is still right there (doing what? No idea! Nobody's mentioned him at all, but apparently he just attacked them or something).

Nanami is introduced to the group, and basicallytold she has to stay with them. She's not thrilled about this.
wrote:
What disgusted Nanami the most that for all that she was reluctant to admit it, Shirohara-san was right, as always. Leaving now could only mean death. But now, all Nanami could think about was how much she resented Shirohara-san at that moment, just because she was right. She was always right.
I think we're not supposed to be sympathizing with Nanami here, but... Madelaine's being framed by the narrative as in the right even though she's really not so untouchable. She just escalated Dodd's inappropriate behavior to physical violence, made no effort to deal with the fallout, and is ordering everyone around without doing much explaining. Nanami's narrative goes on more about how special Madelaine is (and Nanami is not).
It annoyed her slightly, that she was able to make friends and allies so quickly. But that was Shirohara-san...she was always like that. No matter how cold or scary she may seem at times, she always managed to make friends with others. She always seemed to possess something special that Nanami did not.

Whatever it was...Nanami had no idea even now, and it made her feel envious. As she crawled to her feet, hugging her daypack and keeping to herself a bit, pacing around. She began wondering if there was anything at all that was special about herself, and if anybody saw it at all.

Madelaine returned to the group, deciding to continue helping out with Marcus' injuries. She was silent in deep thought for a few moments, and it seemed as though her prior irritation towards Adam had faded. But that was Madelaine after all, she was not one to hold grudges against others, no matter what they did.
What Madelaine really has is that she's the character favored by the narrative, and Nanami is not. :(

Callum runs off, the group talks, and Nanami sits and stews. To her great credit, Makaze actually checks in with Nanami every time she posts, even if Nanami isn't doing much of anything.

Speaking of, the somewhat-neglected Amanda gets a check-in that cuts away to the V1 Afterlife—this is one of the V1 quirks I'm pretty down on so I'm just gonna say that I have zero problems if someone's personal headcanon is that the Bar and Grill exists or whatever but it strikes me as poor form to include it in narrative without a modicum of deniability (because it's gonna get denied anyways by most of the site). I have a bit of an issue because Amanda's post is very long but tends to focus on everything but Amanda—she recaps everyone in the group, spends a ton of time musing on Dodd... but that's the bulk. Her post is a bit self-aware about it, and the doubt that comes with that is a good moment, though.

The group muses about escape, and David notes that the terrorists don't really care if you mess with the cameras. My, how times change! Hawley muses some, and in all of this Nanami sort of fades into the background. Madelaine has a similar recap post flitting over every member of the group, and Nanami leads her away, musing rather sinisterly that Madelaine may not be returning to them soon... or at all.

Adam's story to date is recapped in its entirety which is actually not a bad thing, I feel, given how long it is already. This recap does, however, sit really oddly in the middle of a thread—especially following the two roll-call posts the precede it. Basically, all action has stopped for a pretty substantial span of time to rehash a bunch of stuff that those following Dodd and friends would probably already know. It works alright if you've got no clue what's going on with Dodd and friends as you read... but there aren't really any characters that'd bring you here if you don't know them except Nanami. It feels like maybe it was to catch up readers at the time (as IIRC there'd been a big boom in participants) but I still think the placement leaves something to be desired given how long it all is.

Nanmi talks briefly with Madelaine, tricks her into handing over her tire iron for a moment, then pulls her own pistol and shoots Madelaine in the collarbone. This sequence is pretty well structured and paced, but Nanami's thoughts are entirely absent. She's become an antagonist to Madelaine, and all the narrative focus is on Madelaine's peril and suffering; Nanami is there to create that situation.

Everyone comes running because gunshots are loud and the pair were actual still within sight of some of the group members. Hawley rushes to tend to Madelaine, while Amanda trains her gun on Nanami. We're told that the others arriving was Nanami's plan. I'm not sure I buy it—Nanami's spent the whole scene trying to get Madelaine away from the others, when she had ample opportunity to get the drop on her while being totally ignored by the group. It feels like a narrative overcorrection—stuff went off-script, but rather than adjusting to compensate the script tries to smooth it over. Nanami monologues a good bit about why she hates Madelaine—it's mostly what we've seen before (she feels like Madelaine's protection robbed her of all agency and resented being pitied and treated as helpless)—and Madelaine is crushed by this more than by being shot.

The others try to flank Nanami. Dodd actually has a really good moment here, trying to goad Nanami into focusing on him instead of Madelaine. It's sold well, makes sense for his character and is a great look at what made V1 Dodd a popular protagonist. He also mentions that Nanami basically has one shot, because she's surrounded by heavily-armed people and the only thing keeping them from blowing her away is the damage she could do on her way out (which is a big part of why Nanami's lure-everyone-to-watch plan doesn't make logical sense and feels like a Band-Aid).

The standoff escalates further; David shoots at Nanami, hoping to disarm her, but instead scores a graze that causes her to fire a similarly cosmetic shot along Madelaine's cheek. Dodd taunts some more, Hawley chimes, in, and the tension mounts.

It's the danger to her friends that stirs Madelaine out of her stupor. She muses that she never meant any harm, that she was just trying to be good to Nanami, and that she'd far rather die than see others hurt on her account. Nanmi, for her part, gets more worked up:
She raised her eyes to look at the group again. "Why else would Shirohara-san show that sort of kindness to me, other than to act out of pity? Why else would she even tolerate me, when no one else would? Like you guys just said...I AM pathetic. I AM a weakling. And because I was weak and helpless and so pitiful...Shirohara-san befriended me. Just how stupid is that? I wanted to be one in control...I wanted to show her that I no longer needed her pity, by doing this to her!"

Desperate for them to understand her, she cried out with fury towards the group, "Why are you trying to protect her, anyways? You've barely even known her for that long, but are you saying she's that important to you? Tell me....what's so good about her? Everyone says she's so great, but she's just a normal person like me! What is it that makes her so wonderful and precious, that you're so willing to let yourself get killed just to give her a living chance? How is it that she's worth so much?!"
In any event, Nanami is distracted for a second and Madelaine pulls herself together enough to draw her own pistol (of which Nanami was unaware, failing to realize Madelaine had only disclosed her assigned weapon and not the one Amanda gave her earlier) and shoot Nanami in the back. She then immediately rushes to Nanami's side, trying desperately to save her, and this sort of highlights a bunch of my issues with Madelaine, in this scene and overall.

Madelaine's story wants it all. It wants her to be the center of attention. everything in this Nanami sequence has been geared towards pushing Madelaine into focus, held hostage as the others are forced to watch. It wants Madelaine to be the one to ultimately resolve the situation—a ton of stuff happens in the post where Nanami gets shot, keeping anyone else from really being able to get a word or action in edgewise, and it's Madelaine who takes care of things where others have somewhat arbitrarily failed (whatever happened to Marcus, who was trying to flank Nanami and get her under control while her attention was elsewhere?). And it wants Madelaine to nevertheless retain the moral highground, as she acts only to protect her friends and immediately tries to stuff the genie back in the bottle and help save Nanami from the wound she just inflicted. She even throws herself between Nanami and David when the latter expresses his frustrations with a kick.

And throughout all of this, I'm wondering where Madelaine's flaws are. Nanami views the girl as so perfect her very existence is a mockery... and the narrative seems to only really disagree with the mockery part of that. Nanami recovers a bit and points the gun at Madelaine (somehow, despite the fact that Dodd is at that very moment pressing her chest to the ground trying to stop the bleeding) and threatens to take Madelaine with her into death, and Madelaine sobs and admits to total fault despite having acted only out of pureness and love. Nanami is shocked and realizes just how much better than even what she'd thought Madelaine is, and muses about how really Madelaine has the worse deal even though Nanami's the one bleeding to death:
Shirohara-san would pay for it all. Nanami would leave this would soon. It would all end easily for her. But Shirohara-san would live on, enduring all of the pain that came from the mess Nanami caused. It was as though Shirohara-san had inherited Nanami's sin, and was paying the price in her place. How awful was that...?
So, in case it's not clear, I've got some real issues with Nanami and her arc but mostly as it relates to Madelaine. Nanami is pretty much a prop, one better developed than many in V1, but perhaps more frustrating for that—who exists to push Madelaine. The span from Nanami's first post to her death is eight days OOC, and every aspect of her narrative is focused around pushing Madelaine. In the moments where Nanami herself gets to shine through, I think she's cool and interesting. I think her plot has real meat to it, and could've gone amazing places were it allowed to play out a little more naturally, were the other group members allowed actual agency, were it not so rushed. As it is, though, the whole affair is flawed in some ways that are really frustrating to me.

And so, at the end, I find myself not agreeing with the remorseful, penitent Nanami slipping away, wishing Madelaine nothing but the best. No, I'm right there with bitter, angry Nanami. Madelaine is too perfect, and I really do resent her for it. Give me the flawed crybaby instead, any day.

I'll take another, please!
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

(Original post by Aura)

Duncan Wright was a college student who was researching SOTF, and he was kidnapped by the AT because they felt that he knew a little too much about how they worked. This actually isn't too bad a backstory as far as v1 is concerned, although how a single college student can obtain so much information about a secretive terrorist organization to the point that he is considered a specific threat to them raises a few eyebrows in terms of realism.

Despite his profile making him seem pretty important, Duncan actually doesn't do very much on the island. He meets Angharad Davies early and teams up with her, and the two of them head to the lighthouse in search of shelter. Duncan explains the basics of SOTF as far as he understands, then heads to the kitchen to cook some dog food and go inactive. His next appearance comes when Angharad, now fully committed to playing, returns to the lighthouse where he had been staying. He shows her an escape plan that he had drawn up, and she responds by kicking him to death.

There isn't really anything wrong with Duncan. He's competently written and has a decent voice. However, he doesn't really get to do much on the island before going inactive. He's decent, but you aren't really missing much if you skip him either.

Another character, if you please.
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

(original post by Blastinus)

I might be a terrible person, but Vince Samsa's backstory had me in stitches. When he's four years old his drug dealer mother gets shot in the head on his birthday, which happens to be Christmas, right in front of him, resulting in this line:
As Vince stared at his mothers brains which at that point where spread against the floor of his house he promised himself not to cry.
There's a fine line between tragedy and black comedy, and I think his handler used it as a jump rope.

Right from the start, we get an idea more of the handler than the character, since Slacker doesn't even wait for Vince to get rolled a weapon before sending him onto the island. His first thread is one post long and just features him getting pumped up, putting on that football war paint and all. Football is the one thing besides his mother's brains that we know about this character, so I guess we're going full-bore with it.

Anyway, he writes around the whole "not having a weapon yet" thing by saying that his character hadn't peeked into his bag, which means that he approaches his first interaction with Cody Jenson a bit cautiously. After all, why threaten the guy when you might just have a rubber chicken in there? He asks Cody for a spare weapon, Cody says no and fires some parting shots as he tears off into the distance on his magic motorcycle. How he manages to avoid wiping out on that thing is a mystery to me.

By the time he reaches his next thread, evidently he's been rolled his weapon, since he's fawning over his assigned handgun to an uncomfortable degree. Oh also, everything relates back to his dead mother, because he has one detail in his backstory, and by golly, is he going to run it into the ground. When he encounters a group at the lighthouse, he makes small talk and tries to be a member of the group, and then Cody's motorcycle of wonders roars into the scene, accompanied by threats and gunfire, as is Cody's modus operandi. Vince wants to go out to help Glenn's brother Fred, but he ends up just talking about his mother again and nothing comes of it. Fred dies, Vince walks out too late, and Cody rides off into the night, trailing rainbows and sunbeams out the back.

A new thread, a new group. Vince has apparently gone off the deep end at this point, which means that he's playing with the standard V1 tactic of walking out at a significantly larger group while raising your gun and acting threatening. But...wait a moment, this is the scene where Kousaka spontaneously turns from a cocky gun mage to a simpering nobody, so there's somebody even hammier to distract from him. Vince takes the initiative, nabbing Kousaka's bag and performing a Cody-esque goodbye on the way out (by which I mean turning around, firing two shots, and disappearing into the Elsewhere Zone before anyone else can fire back).

Vince returns to the lighthouse to observe Fred's corpse and talk to his dead mother some more, which a mod swiftly informs him is an impossibility because Fred fell off a cliff. Also, he leaves that scene in the same post, so it's effectively pointless filler. Moving on, he comes to the well, sees a collective group with Cody in it, and hatches the clever scheme of throwing a smoke bomb and unloading an entire magazine at them. This fails to actually score him any kills, because he's trying to shoot people IN A SMOKE CLOUD! What was even the point of throwing smoke at them? You use smoke to hide yourself, you silly man! In the ensuing fight scene, Vince also gets suddenly philosophical:
"Put a gun to my head and paint the walls with my brains. Just great, I say. Really." Vince told the boy evilly. "I know you won't, because you're just an idiot kid. You have been lied to about your individuality, there is no such thing as an individual and there is no such thing as you!"
Then Vince decides that he's going to ogle a girl's breasts while a shotgun is being trained on him. But that's okay because:
"Pull the damn trigger, you'll just be helping me out." he looked up to the sky "When I was three years old I had a gun pointed at my head"
Look, I'll just abbreviate it for you. He talks about his mother again. At this point, everyone's ready to shoot him, but first, Bohemian Rhapsody. No real point to it. His handler just posts the lyrics to a Queen song. He takes a shotgun blast to the...feet? Look, I don't know what happened there. This is what Clare Shepherd does:
With a quick movement she stepped to the side, blocking Ryan who was still sprawled on the ground, and shifted her gun to aim at the ground directly in front of Vince.
And this somehow sends Vince flying, right onto a convenient rock that impales him through the chest. Undeterred by, you know, an object poking out of his torso, he fires off all but one round at the group and then serves himself the last one right in the mouth, but not before delivering one last speech about his mother, then his last thought is of his mother, and really, how do you milk a single character trait for this long?

I really can't recommend Vince. At all. He's creepy, he's one-note, he accomplishes nothing of consequence, and his dialogue isn't even that fun. I'd take the psycho ballerina over him any day.

Another?
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

Amanda Jones is my first Dodd character, and she's also the vice president's daughter? And she has a huge crush on ADAM DODD?! What kind of self-shilling nonsense is this? Oh well, let's just evaluate her as her own separate character.

Spoiler!
So what's her plan of action on the island? Well, it's uniting with Adam Dodd, who she knows will already be gathering allies, but enough of that, it's time for her to meet a Slayer character named David Jackson. One who's not playing. And is completely friendly and up-front. Huh. Maybe I was being presumptive with the guy and he actually has the capacity for depth. She asks him where Adam Dodd is, and is shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, that Adam would ever consider getting into a gunfight with someone. And I have to ask...Dodd, did you even read your own character? He goes from zero to murder in almost no time at all.

Madelaine Jones also shows up, and after David acts like a total prat, they grudgingly decide to seek out Dodd together. But first, we need Slayer to kill one of his own dudes as Andrew Klock walks crazily into the scene and gets instantly shot. I guess we're supposed to think of David as a hero or whatever, but because it's the same handler talking to himself, it comes off as forced and staged. The group talks some more, and then the president and the VP play some paintball.

Wait, what?

Oh, right, Dodd chose this moment to suddenly cut to the White House, where we discover that the president is an immature manchild (I'm sorry, "prankster") who likes to shoot at interns in the halls of the nation's capitol. And wouldn't you know it, but the VP's daughter is on TV right now, hacking some poor innocent grass to death with a machete. Then she flashbacks to her first date with Dodd (the character Dodd, not the handler), but it's boring, so I skipped it.

Then Heather shows up and has that weird scene with David, and it occurs to me that David is just another mechanical construct, but instead of murder, his mind is stuck on the "noble protector" setting, even when it makes absolutely no sense. Seriously, her gun is on the ground and he's still going on about how he should just shoot her right now but because he's so virtuous, he'll give her a chance to drop the gun she's already dropped, then he justifies it by claiming that she reached for it so he can't trust her, even when in her post, her hands were in the air. This is so alien and bizarre that it becomes genuinely unnerving, like it's the first thing I've read in V1 that has actually caused me a degree of emotional distress. What is going on in this delusional kid's head, and is he a danger to everyone around him? Turns out, the answer is yes, because when Heather violently protests how he's treating her, the mask falls off almost instantly:
wrote:
He had been attacked, now he wasn't going to stop until she was dead.
What a saint. To Dodd's credit, he actually calls out Slayer for how he acts in the subsequent fight scene, since in typical Slayer fashion, he no-sells every move and fires off multiple shots in a single post. Both Amanda and Madelaine are shocked and disturbed by David's antics as well, and it's clear to basically everyone that he's in no proper state of mind, so the two ladies go their separate way from him.

And now it's time for Amanda to meet Adam. Or rather, not meet Adam, because he's threatening Madelaine from an angle she can't see and being weirdly coy about divulging his name. The scene is so contrived it defies reason, since he's been perfectly fine with revealing his name on other occasions, but because the love of his life is lurking nearby, we've got to do this lengthy runaround where Amanda's like "Could it really be him?" But hey, it eventually pays off, I guess, since they have the big hug and all. But now comes the next big conflict: will Amanda ever reveal her true feelings for him? Well, seeing as these are the same handler's characters, I'm sure it'll happen when it's dramatically appropriate.

There's a lot of group stuff that doesn't matter, since our subject is just Amanda, so let's cut to the chase. Yes, they kiss. And it's at this point that Amanda starts asserting influence instead of Dodd, because he's distracted by a call from his friend Andrew and he wants to meet up with him. The group's goal, therefore, becomes finding Adam and presumably keeping each other alive in the process. Amanda spends a good chunk of the time in this portion of the game being scared in post after post and not really doing much else, though she does give David a stern talking-to (because he's back with the group now) about his tendency to threaten people, so I guess there's that.

It's at this point that Peri, Jacob Starr, and some other kid decide to pay a visit, and a standoff occurs. Not much to say about it, since Amanda mostly just stays out of it and a good chunk of the group flees the scene when bullets start flying, but it's worth noting that Amanda gets nicked in the leg. In the next scene, she confronts Jacob about almost killing Dodd, and it's pretty clear that she's on the verge of blowing his head off, but she doesn't. I'm actually interested in Amanda's progression at this point, since she's doing decisions that don't entirely revolve around Dodd-having. It's too bad that most of her dialogue is still about finding Adam and whether or not she loves him, but hey, small favors.

Suddenly, Blaine Eno enters the scene, with murder on the mind. Just as it looks like he's about to get Amanda, a shot rings out, and Adam appears, announcing his presence at the end of the post instead of the start. And I'll have to admit, this is somewhat clever. Almost feels cinematic in a way. It's too bad that Adam has to throw in the lyrics for Closing Time for no apparent reason. Adam's choking up over his decision to take a life, but fortunately, he can talk to himself and reassure himself that what he did was a-okay by putting the words in Amanda's mouth instead. It's at this moment, while Blaine is dead and cooling in front of them, that Adam finally lets slip that he totes loves Amanda too, and they have a really long post-murder kiss.

But unfortunately, all good self-makeouts must come to an end, because Hawley arrives at the end of his rope. But rather than giving in to despair and doing something he'd regret, he's talked into lowering his gun and the situation is resolved, just in time for Adam to get high off of morphine. It's an interesting direction to go, and Dodd writes Amanda as appropriately embarrassed about her boyfriend's wild antics. While he's incapacitated from being high as a kite, she addresses the motley crew gathered together and hatches a plan, a plan of escape. She delivers a fairly compelling speech, and it makes me think that Adam needs to be doped out of his gourd more often, because she shines most when she doesn't have to work off of him.

One of the group snaps and we have a dramatic confrontation that ends with her dead, but this is more Dodd-centric than Amanda, so I'll just skip past it for a bit. What's important for Amanda is that this ends up leaving Madelaine shaken and unresponsive, and we have a scene where Amanda tries desperately to get her out of her nigh-catatonic state. Once again, Dodd is off to the side, and we get to see Amanda as the more caring and likable of the two. The thread continues, and Hawley dies after another confrontation that breaks out, so it's back to Dodd again until the end of the thread. One long, friggin' 17-page thread. It's here that Amanda finally ceases becoming an unthinking mouthpiece for Dodd, since she patently disagrees with his decision to kill Marcus Roddy after he gets put in a coma. It's nice, but it's coming with only two threads until her death, so I don't know if it's enough.

Next, the group gets caught up in a confrontation with Cody Jenson and Jacob Starr, resulting in Amanda and Madelaine being locked in a warehouse with motorcycle boy. Naturally, this goes sourly, and Cody ends up just leaning in for a kiss when a friggin' shotgun is being leveled at him, only to be clocked in the back of the head. Can't say I didn't enjoy that. But it leaves Amanda with nothing to do but play the damsel in distress until Adam finally gets the door open.

Last thread. Boy, this took a while. The results of Adam's kills sound over the loudspeaker, and Amanda decides that they were totally fine because they had justifiable causes, thereby exonerating Dodd of all wrongdoing. So say he all. Then Cody shows up again and kidnaps Madelaine before...well...basically, if he was an unapologetic scumbag before now, he's crossed the line to becoming basically unreadable. But read on I must, as he gets confronted for what he just did and he responds by firing a couple shots, one of which ends up lodged in Amanda's forehead. Almost like an afterthought to the atrocity that occurred just before.

Final thoughts on Amanda...Well, from what I can tell, Adam Dodd exudes a strange Second Banana Aura, which makes it impossible to stand out as long as he's nearby. I enjoyed the scenes most where Amanda has to strike out on her own and actually do stuff independently of the Doddster, but whenever she's attached to him, her character revolves around building him up and helping him through his emotional turmoil. She can only be Amanda and not Dodd's girlfriend when she's by herself, and so my opinion of her oscillated up and down. Ultimately, her character's death is just designed as a motivation for Dodd to get his revenge on Cody, and that feels a bit cheap.

Can I go again?
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

Eddie Serjeantson is an example of a Dodd character who doesn't revolve around Dodd, which means that he actually has personality. Is that a good thing? Yeh...Maybe? I've already talked about Sarge and his really weird speaking habits, but let's focus on that a little more. The guy's a history buff who has a jock-esque appearance but is actually smart. And I guess that Dodd wanted to manifest that in him doing a lot of rapid-fire banter. Is it jarring and tonally-dissonant? I don't know. It could just be a guy trying to deal with a stressful scenario by bantering his way through it in order to stay sane. It's hard to tell, because his story doesn't last long enough to answer that question.

We've seen a good chunk of Sarge's story because of following Glenn, so let's just skip to something important that he does at the Gazebo. Given what we know of Jacob Starr, it wouldn't be a surprise that Sarge decides to pragmatically take him on. What follows is a long OOC argument on the nature of bullet-dodging and how it relates to GMing that leaves Eddie on the run from Jacob and separated from Glenn's group. Running literally into Miranda Grey, he once again acts pragmatically and cautiously, telling her to lose her weapon. The back and forth between them, since they're exes, is both sarcastic and ribbing, and I really enjoyed the banter. Neither of them truly trust the other and have some bad vibes from their previous relationship, but the situation of the island necessitates putting that aside and working together.

Coming into a heated argument in a very chaotic scene, Eddie finds it all very amusing, and I'm kinda loving the guy. He's taking the situation seriously enough, but he's actually got a sense of humor and is trying to find the good side of things. It's too bad that he's about to be murderbush'd. Yes, it's that thread. He kicks the rock into the bush all casual-like and Daphne springs forth with the stabbing, putting an early and ignominious end to this strange guy. It's a shame, because we don't get a clear picture of who he is beyond his joking and his pragmatism. Considering how doom and gloom the rest of V1 was, he could have been a good comic relief.

Oh well, can I get another?
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

Now for something completely different. As a weird twist midway through the game, it was revealed that three of Danya's terrorist henchmen had accidentally turned on the PA system while reading fanfiction on their computers. As punishment for making Danya seem like an idiot, he decided that he would exile these three henchmen to the island, to fight for their own lives. One of these henchmen was Angelina Kaige, controlled by Dodd. The sensible one of the three who'd been chiding the other two for their frivolous activities, she would take more than a little umbrage about her situation, but chalk up an impressive kill record regardless, judging by her profile. I'm kind of interested to see where it goes.

First order of business, to prevent any unwanted leaks about his activities, Danya has gone and removed Angelina's vocal chords, along with those of her hapless colleagues. This is going to make any significant character interaction kind of difficult. Fortunately, Dodd is kind enough to give her a significant amount of thought and analysis to make up for it. Matter of fact, her first act is to try to blend in with the rest of the student body. Rather than wearing the obvious military gear she'd arrived in, she steals a dead girl's clothes and bag, and I have to say, this act alone makes me kind of root for her a little. What I expected with this twist was that she'd be another mad gunman like the kids on the island, but no, she's making strategic moves and playing intelligently.

Case in point, when she encounters a group of kids, instead of immediately opening fire, she instead crafts a story in the dirt about being a mute girl who found one of the terrorists and stole their gun. It's not the best excuse, and she gets caught in the lie fairly quickly, but at least she's trying. A fight breaks out, and one of the kids gets shot in the collar by accident, so technically not a kill for her, but it does provide enough of a distraction for her to escape, where she comes across a couple kids at the gazebo. Having been armed with a number of grenades, she throws one and takes them both out, demonstrating perhaps why it is that explosives are in short supply in these games.

Then she casually shoots Aiden Ambrose and breaks his neck just to be sure, and I'm beginning to see a problem emerging, which only becomes intensified with her kill of Lyndi. Angelina has no connections with any of these kids, and she's already a seasoned killer, so there's no development leading to her murder spree. She's the equivalent of a premade player, only even worse because she can't talk, so there's no emotion with any kills. She just kills because she wants to win, and that's that. Throw a grenade into a warehouse to kill several kids at once while picking off the survivors from a distance? Why, that's just business. Well, okay, she has one moment of characterization, and it's apparently that she's uncomfortable with gay sex. Woohoo for that, I guess.

Then "Cause I fell on black days" happens, and Angelina succumbs to the schlock factor. Turns out that she gets off on killing people, and so she curses herself for paralyzing a guy so he can't feel her slowly killing him. In an instant, suddenly her entire professional veneer vanishes, and we're left with one of the most cliched characterizations for a female villain you can get. The kind of thing you'd reserve for a Bond villain. This is somehow worse than she was before, when she was just flatly killing people for the sake of the game, and it really kills whatever hope I had for the character. Sure enough, next thread, she's forcing herself onto a 16-year old kid and it's just so, so painful. Like, what the heck, Dodd? You had a decent thing going with her, and you decided to just turn her into the sleaziest thing possible.

Thank goodness the next thread is her last one. Let's just cut to the chase. She snaps a kid's neck, another kid ambushes her, and she takes a bullet to the forehead. I don't even want to dignify her with a more in-depth analysis, because those last two threads killed whatever appreciation I had for the character. Ultimately, she ended up scoring 11 kills, most of which had no impact behind them and the few that did made me want to gouge my eyes out. So...thanks for that.

Another?
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

[and so ends Ken. Along one of my longest posts. And either most or second most graphic death, not sure...probably most. What do you all think? >>;]

I'll tell you what I think, Asano. I think that was friggin' awesome! Ken Mendel's only thread was an escape attempt where he tried to swim away from the island. The terrorists, having surrounded the entire island with patrol boats, give chase. And what follows is one of the most intense and horrifying scenes in V1 for violence. Not content to simply have him get shot up, not even to let him be crushed by one of the larger ships, Asano goes whole-hog and essentially liquifies him in the propellers of the boat that ran him over. No detail is spared, and the actions of the terrorists provide a lot of humanity to the folks keeping these kids prisoner, as even they're horrified and disgusted by what just happened in front of them. It's a violent cautionary tale that holds nothing back, and lets all the other handlers know just what is at stake if they try to do something similar.

I think that Asano made Ken purposely uninteresting in his profile just for this moment. Ken is a sacrifice for the sake of horror, and boy oh boy is it effective. His time on the island is incredibly short, but this is the kind of single-post death that deserves a read, for some of the best writing that I've seen in the game thus far.

Keep 'em coming!
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

Sydney Morvran's big secret is that he's actually from a version previous to V1, but the kids on the island don't know this at first. Instead, he's introduced stalking Xian Chun through the bamboo coppice, seeming to be deranged and scarred up for no apparent reason. Sydney seems to be almost desperate to find someone to use as an ally, to the point of assuming that Xian's friend Tayli was trying to attack her and throwing one of his flashbangs. Once that misunderstanding is cleared up, Xian, Sydney, and Tayli run off together, with Sydney implying that not only does he know this island up and down, but that he's been here for longer than you'd think. In fact, he was the winner of his version, and that's why he's missing some fingers and looks as messed-up as he does.

Immediately, this draws the group's attention, but they don't probe Sydney for details long before more people show up, including Gabrielle Minase. Sydney is the one who scoops up Minase's weapon almost the instant it hits the ground, but in turn, he gets shot by accident when Tayli drops her gun, so it all balances out. Sydney never gets the opportunity to explain why it was that he was put back onto the island, nor does he give any useful information that can help the next batch of kids. Guess you can chalk that up to early rolls. It makes me wonder what his handler was intending to do with the character, whether there was more that Kaishi was planning to reveal about the previous programs. I suppose we'll never know.

One more!
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

(Original post by MurderWeasel)

Spoiler!
Alrighty. First off, Tayli has a middle name, which is cool. It's a little detail, but the sort that's often not included in profiles even today. Tayli's profile is almost entirely about her family; apart from them most of what we learn is:
The three healthy Vreeland children [including Tayli] all excel in a wide area of talents, all smart and athletic as well as congenial... although Tayli will admit she cannot sing. ... Tayli is well liked by her peers because she has a genuine practice of being kind to everyone she meets.
This is pretty minimal even by V1 standards. We also learn Tayli was molested as a child but has repressed the memories. This is not dealt with particularly sensitively, but rather as an afterthought. That said, profiles tend to have pretty little to do with how good or bad characters actually are, especially in earlier versions, so let's get into Tayli's story.

Tayli awakens, finds her assigned Glock, and immediately intervenes in an encounter between Xian Chun and Sydney Morvran, the winner of V0. Both girls are confused by the presence of this stranger, but Syndey, fearing the worst, pulls Xian away, shouting that Tayli will kill them and throwing a flashbang behind him. Xian resists, shouting that Tayli won't hurt them. For some reason, Xian's dialogue is denoted by red text rather than quotation marks, which makes it a little obnoxious to read.

Blinded, Tayli falls to the ground, terrified that she's going to die. Sydney realizes he's messed up and runs back to the girl, trying to help her to her feet. The three get moving. Niniko Kishinawa, having awakened nearby and decided to play, moves towards them. Sydney tries to ward him off with Tayli's gun. Selene Acton also appears, but watches from hiding. Tayli's handler GMs everyone, including writing dialogue for Sydney, and gets chewed out for it by Kaishi. Everyone leaves.

The star of this first thread is probably Sydney—everyone else is clearly getting their bearings. Ironically, the big issue I have with a lot of what's going on with Tayli and Xian is the same thing that cropped back up in some parts of V5; the posts are so utilitarian as to be rather devoid of soul. Nothing that happens in them is bad, but they don't do much besides giving the direct facts and actions and thoughts in a super blunt fashion. It seems that a lot of what this thread is about is really the novelty of the SOTF situation, which makes sense given the era but does not translate so well a decade of SOTF later.

Anyhow, the trio heads to the school. Sydney casually notes to himself that a. this was where he and his friends holed up in V0 (meaning that the island is the same used for that) and b. his finger stumps are still bleeding (meaning that V0 was really really recent). This ties into the abandoned V1 concept of a never-ending game with characters constantly added to the mix, which is seen in a number of early V1 quirks like the kids from all over the world and the getting-dropped-into-the-game-on-Day-Three and such. Sydney wants to barricade the place and assemble a crew of five, like before; I question the wisdom of this since obviously it didn't work so well in V0, but it's a fine character moment as Sydney is sorta weird and traumatized and such.

Anya Vendvmagli arrives and, hipster-style, preempts later trends both by directly saying "I'm not playing" and by having her entrance tag at the end of her post instead of the start for absolutely no reason. Xian questions Sydney's history but he doesn't share, and Anya arrives and there's a moment of tension before Xian and Tayli vouch for her, but overall it's a pretty smooth settling in. Sydney is nicely on-edge, and Tayli gets a bit of family history (and also sees a couple of students teased who feel like they were probably getting set up to participate but never were actually submitted). Tayli has a pretty solid idea for securing the weapons, but it sort of misses that they could be attacked and having one person with the key to the guns and another with a key to the ammo could be bad news in a pinch. I love that, though; Tayli shouldn't be a tactical genius and her plan has tons of interesting RPing potential.

The infamous Gabrielle Minase arrives, and his entrance post is tagged at both the top and the bottom so folks really need to get on his level. Minase is the one moving the scene at this point; he's edgy and seems to be toying with playing. Tayli tells Minase to walk right on by if he's looking for trouble. The post ends with this:
OOC: This is sort of like the cover of the second manga!
I actually think that's pretty adorable in its way.

Kaishi declares that there are too many characters here so the thread is now private. This is worthy of note because there've been a lot of these little moments in Tayli's story; we've seen the genesis of post order, GMing rules, private threads, and more. This gives Tayli some historical value aside from just her story.

Sydney's posts are full of inaccuracies about how flashbangs work and Kaishi keeps repeating them (spoilers: flashbangs blind you for a few seconds, not an hour). I think this is to sorta ward folks off but it's really awkward reading it again and again—it's kind of proto-text-fighting and doesn't land well.

The confrontation explodes into action of a sort, as Xian intercedes and accidentally catches a flashbang in the back, prompting Minase to catch her on instinct. Sydney grabs the gun, Xian flees, Minase stands in shock, and Sydney follows Xian, who suddenly freaks out and screams about how all boys are liars. I haven't mentioned Tayli in a while because she has no posts during this; it's awkward because she's the one who's actually armed. Minase freaks out, and while his narrative is self-aware of his rapidly-changing emotions it's not sold super well. Anya is drinking a lot of gin—I assume it's little travel bottles since she's not dead.

Tayli finally gets more posts. She decides to go check on the others, instead falls asleep in a janitor's closet, then wakes up a post later after dreaming about her poorly-handled molestation to discover a laptop, then goes to tell Sydney and Xian but trips and accidentally shoots Sydney due to poor trigger discipline. This post feels really rushed because it slides a ton of stuff together and all that happens between Tayli falling asleep and waking back up is Sydney saying a couple sentences. Minase goes to check it out (Minase has this issue where he's acting like they're all in one room and everyone else is acting like they're in two. Anya is following him around retconning it to make sense). Xian flees, Minase tries to help, Tayli lies in a heap, and Sydney dies.

Everyone splits up, and Tayli rocks in a corner until her collar detonates due to a Danger Zone.

So, the good about Tayli is that she's a fascinating read from a historical perspective, setting up tons of the elements that echo through SOTF to this day. She's tied closely to an important character in the metaplot (Sydney) and her arc, in its way, is actually a pretty decent SOTF standard. The skeleton is there for something pretty contemporary.

The downside is it's just that: skeletal. Everyone's rushing through everything at a mile a minute, mostly bluntly telling character motivations and developments, and so while the ideas may be good, the execution forces the reader to bring a lot to it on their own; I don't know that you get a much better experience reading Tayli for yourself than you do reading her summary on the wiki. She's interesting in this intellectual way, and there's nothing wrong with her arc per se aside from the poorly-handled sexual assault, but it's all delivered in such a sketch-like fashion that it's hard to really take much from it.

Another, if you will!
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

Sidney Crosby is a Canadian hockey player who currently serves as the captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins. During his time with the Penguins, Sid the Kid has won three Stanley Cups and scored 57 goals this season alone. But enough about him, let's talk about Sidney Crosby, the 17-year old high school student who apparently has almost supernatural powers of prediction. Yup, it's another eccentric Dodd character, this one based on a real ice hockey superstar. As if being the vice president's daughter wasn't weird enough. Sidney Crosby (that is, the real Sidney Crosby) was born in 1987, so back in 2005, he'd have been the right age for Dodd's portrayal of him, more or less. I'm not sure that a 17-year old would be the new darling of the NHL, but I don't know much about hockey.
Spoiler!
From his first thread, what I can tell about Sidney is that he's friendly and non-confrontational, buying into Toby Valerik's ruse that he's got a gun when it's just a disguised stick. He seems hesitant to use profanity, which is a rarity for this game, and yes, he IS the actual Sidney Crosby. As in, he has a flashback where he's abducted from his locker room...somehow. I'm not going to go over the logistics of how you kidnap a dude from a sports stadium without being caught on every single camera imaginable. Let's just roll with it. This origin does result in him feeling out of the loop, since he has no idea who any of these kids are and he has to basically work his way from the bottom. No prior relationships or friendships that he can fall back on. But at the same time, you get the feeling that he enjoys the anonymity. Instead of being constantly singled out as THE Sidney Crosby, he can just be Sidney on this island, another frightened kid who can blend with the pack.

Unfortunately, no good Dodd character can stay separated from Dodd for long, so we pop in on the Doddsquad just in time to see Madelaine's death one more time. I was hoping not to have to read that again. Since Sidney is the one who got shot at but dodged the bullets, that means that Dodd blames him for Amanda's subsequent death. There's a logic there, but it's hiding behind a few giant leaps. But at least this makes Dodd storm off on his own to seek revenge on the actual culprit, meaning that Sidney doesn't have to become yet another Dodd-centric character. Instead, he reflects on how much Dodd must have been suffering and why he survived instead of the other Dodd character. Still, small favors. At least he recovers enough in order for Gun Wizard Kousaka to wuss out in his presence, and then the place gets danger zoned so he and a few others have to leave suddenly.

During the confusion of the previous thread, Sidney got his foot injured, so he's been having to depend on Chance Burton to keep him going. As a result, when Angelina Kaige comes bursting in, he's not in much of a position to angle himself properly, which means that he ends up shooting Chance in the neck by accident. Unable to cope with his mistake, he takes off surprisingly quickly. All he did was put a bandage on his foot, and apparently it doesn't bother him anymore? Odd. And then he demonstrates a sudden lack of awareness (which you'd think a pro hockey player would have) when he careens full-tilt into the warehouse wall. During his recovery there, he delivers a quote that I think sums up his view of the game quite nicely:
"And hey, you know...give the girl a break, I'm sure that you probably point a gun at the majority of the people that you run into on this island too, otherwise, well, you'd be dead. We're all fighting for our lives here, none of us gets to leave unless everyone else is dead, so yeah, we're all going to try and avoid getting ourselves dead. You may have had enough of people pointing a gun at you, but damnit, it's going to happen again, stop pretending it isn't."
Basically yeah, everyone's fighting for their lives, and rather than constantly complaining every time a gun is drawn, people should expect it and live with it.

Of course, he doesn't get much time to establish a new group before Angelina shows up again and the warehouse massacre occurs. By some stroke of luck, he manages to get away from that, only to accidentally wander right back, just in time to panic fire at Nevera Aero. And it's here that I have to wonder: what exactly is Dodd trying to do with his fanfic version of this hockey player? Every kill he accomplishes is a result of him being terrible with firearms, and he's survived thus far based primarily on blind luck. Did Dodd choose Sidney because he liked him? If so, why does he make him such a loser?

Then in the next thread, he's basically useless in combat against one of the exiled terrorists and he has to be rescued by Adam Dodd, who does one of the most nonsensical things I've seen in V1, and that's saying something. In one swift motion, he unsheathes a saber and (I'm going to assume one-handed) cuts the terrorist in half, right before being incapacitated by Angelina while she does...erm...nasty things to him. And if the next thread is to be believed, Sidney got to watch the whole thing from the bushes. Seriously Dodd, why is this even a thing?

That being said, Sidney is one of the endgame kids, and it really doesn't feel like he deserved to be there. If anything, he was just fortunate enough to not be rolled, because his portrayal demonstrated no particular survival quality that would have taken him there instead. Case in point, when round 1 of endgame is Sidney versus Cody, he's clearly presented as outmatched and just scrambling for his life. The banter that results suggests that Cody also had dreams of going pro, but "The Next Thing" had taken the spot that he believed that he deserved. In a sense, Cody's one-sided rivalry for Sidney, while they'd only barely interacted directly, is something that was fomenting even before V1. How the two of them can yell at each other while one is trying to back up repeatedly and the other is fighting back internal bleeding is a matter best left to the philosophers.

Anyway, Cody eventually gets Sidney onto the ground and starts the grand tradition of over-the-top mutilations which would continue into V2 and V3, cutting him everywhere and breaking his fingers. Then naturally, Adam Dodd jumps in to the rescue AGAIN and Sidney watches while Adam fights. But wait, this time, despite internal bleeding, despite expending so much energy on fighting Sidney, despite being described as dehydrated and half-starved, Cody somehow gets the drop on Adam and it's Sidney who has to go to the rescue, taking a bullet or three so that the destined hero can live or whatever.

But despite all that, Cody STILL somehow gets Adam dead to rights AGAIN. How many friggin' health bars does this kid have? Just when it seems like it's all over for Adam, suddenly a miracle occurs, and Sidney springs up and grabs Cody by the leg, receiving a shot to the face for his trouble but allowing Adam to gain the upper hand and finally, FINALLY put this stupid kid down for good.

I'll admit to sort of liking Sidney. He's obviously the weak link in the final four, but rather than have him go out like a chump, Adam gives him a decent showing and lets him be a pivotal part of the battle with Cody. He's obviously not suited for murdering folks and he's framed as almost kind of a danger to those around him, but he's got enough positive traits that I found him overall to be a fun read. That being said, I can't help but wonder how the real Sidney would have taken this portrayal if he'd known that someone had written a glorified fanfic about him. Probably not very glowingly, I'd imagine.

One more please!
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

Angharad Davies caught my eye for multiple reasons. First, of all the characters I've read, she appears to have the most threads, which suggests she actually branched out on her own rather than just becoming part of one of those 17-page mega threads like everyone who followed Dodd. Second, her character is of Welsh descent, and therefore she'll be throwing in Welsh words during average conversation. I like that, because Welsh in itself is a fascinating language to read. Thirdly, she starts with a set of cat claws, and I really wanted to see how she makes any use out of those, since unlike all the guns and grenades and blunt instruments, those would require a degree more creativity.

All that being said, let's dive right in.

Spoiler!
Sure enough, the cat claws prove to be a bit of a problem for Angharad, who concludes that she has basically no idea how to use these things. She's somewhat confrontational with the first group she encounters, but it comes off almost like playfulness. She uses her Welsh as a way to basically joke about people without them realizing what she's saying, and I find that an interesting direction to go. In her next thread, she encounters Hawley Faust who shoots at her instantly, turns to yell at David Jackson, then leaves the thread, while I guess the bullet is just hanging there suspended in midair. I found that to be a bit of a cheapo move in all respects, since that basically gave her no recourse for retaliation and put the impetus on her handler to explain how she could dodge a bullet aimed at center mass. I normally like how Hawley Faust is written, but that was a low blow.

Taking that whole parting shot thing in stride, she meets Dorian Graywood, whose name I had to look up on the wiki because his handler just refers to him as "he" all the time. She does the playful Welsh again, and he just responds dismissively and rudely, which takes her from "Should I play the game" to straight up "Imma murder this kid!" and Dorian runs screaming to the hills, which I found immensely satisfying. Frustrated but moving on, she sidles on over to Duncan Wright's intro thread, where she catches him trying to signal for help with a Frisbee. Considering her options, she decides that she might as well pal around with him, even though she feels like her prospects of actually accomplishing anything in this alliance are slim to none.

On the other hand, he does make for a decent traveling companion. As the two of them poke around the Lighthouse, they share a quiet moment out on a balcony and then have a meal together in a room that isn't full of corpses. But her skepticism about Duncan's plans get the better of her, since she figures that his attempts at fooling Danya will just get them killed, and so she decides to say adios to their group. A bit premature of a move, since her next stop is none other than Peri, Steven, and Shinya. She tries to be diplomatic, laying down her claws and surrendering, but this IS Peri we're talking about.
"Take whatever she has and then shoot her in the face" he said with a sigh
Fortunately for her, he finds her ability to dodge his bullets amusing, and so he gives her his revolver with a single round, offering her an ultimatum: kill someone with it, and she'll get her gear back. As he leaves, he imparts us with this shocking revelation, one that alters the very nature of how I'd perceived Peri up until now:
"The Names Peri..BloodBoy to some"
It all suddenly makes sense.

Single bullet gun in hand, she discovers that Dorian has allied himself with Jacob freakin' Starr. Tailing them through a thread transition, she confronts them at the warehouse, where in true V1 fashion, everyone starts pointing guns and growling threats at one another. But who should come to the rescue but Amanda Jones, pointing another gun yet talking reasonably. This seems to calm the situation down. So in conclusion: gun good, shouting bad. However, taking a cue from Hawley Faust, Angharad takes this opportunity to do the ol' shoot and run. Apparently Swoosh was expecting someone to take a potshot at Angharad there, but in the confusion, nobody did, so she gets away scot free in the next post. The fact that Swoosh gave a post for people to react before their character ran puts them a step up in my book.

Next thread is just a single death post, with Angharad reuniting with Duncan, hitting him in the privates, and then kicking him while he's down, all approved beforehand, of course. Duncan doesn't try to fight her off at all and it almost seems a little too easy, like he doesn't even try to block her kicks or anything. Was this really what Duncan's handler wanted for the character, or had Swoosh improvised it? Without knowing the background behind it, I'm really not impressed.

Then we get to the bathroom, and this scene is just kind of nonsensical. It starts off normally enough, with an unhinged girl called Xian dropping in and the two of them having a tense confrontation. But then a couple of guys pop in, one looking for tissues and the other trying to use the john, and Angharad is understandably flabbergasted. There she is, trying to hold a lady at gunpoint, and these two guys just try to walk through like nothing's happening. I'm about as confused as she is. But deciding to make the most of it, the four of them form a tenuous alliance.

Next thread, Xian decides to make a move the instant that the announcements come, trying to get the group to turn against Angharad, but displaying some quick thinking, she does some acting of her own, portraying Duncan as the aggressor in their confrontation. It works, and the situation is defused, up until Peri shows up and decides to be his old Peri self, spraying the scene with gunfire. Calling his debt to her, she is surprised to find that Peri is 100% willing to follow through on his promises, and the two of them suddenly become shooting buddies. It's a friendly exchange between villains and I found it oddly refreshing. They're not trying to one-up the other. They're actually working as partners.

Leaving the scene together, Peri and she would return to the bathroom, almost right after Angharad left it. Getting on Peri's nerves due to her constant gabbing, she'd find herself the lucky winner of a year's supply of bullets, but fortunately they don't hit anything vital. Then she somehow springs up with enough energy to randomly behead a lady who runs into the scene. For my thoughts on that death, see Duncan above.

But wait, there's more! More bullets, that is! It is remarkable just how much punishment Angharad is taking. As she passes out from the pain, Peri fires two more rounds into her stomach to seal the deal, but somehow, SOMEHOW, she isn't actually dead, because she wakes up later on and has enough energy to lunge for the guy who tries to help her, but not enough to fight back when Xian arrives and proceeds to do...well, let's just skip it. It's long and gratuitous and I don't want to talk about it.

The point is that eventually Vince Noir tries to intervene and gets corkscrewed for it, and Angharad is able to use the shock of his death to calm Xian down. With sanity temporarily restored, the two of them discuss why they did the things they did and how they got to this point. Both of them are at least a little unhinged, and in a sense, Angharad argues, they're mirrors of one another. And I think this is Angharad's big strength, her ability to connect with people, no matter how much they're messed up in the head. Nobody else would actually be willing to play Peri's game or try to win at his rules, nor would they build and dismantle as many alliances as she did. But unfortunately, it's Angelina time. Angharad's been able to shrug off all kinds of abuse, but a close-range grenade isn't something you just sleep off.

To be honest, aside from the craziness of how much damage she took in her last two threads, I found Angharad to be a good read. She's got this ability to connect with folks and lie that you don't see too much in V1. If there were more deceptive villains instead of crazies, I think V1 would have been less eye-rolling at times.

Another?
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

(Original post by blastinus)

Cydni Pullman's game is pretty short, since she only gets one thread before being unceremoniously inactive killed by Angharad in that weird bathroom scene, so let's just examine the one time she's actually under her handler's control. She looks into her pack, finds her weapon, sarcastically muses about her situation, then gets startled to hear someone. And if you think that sounds like every SOTF kid's introduction, it's because it kinda is.

That's cool. She has one and a half pages to develop a personality.

Unfortunately, the remaining thread goes as bog-standard as you can get. The two kids she meets aren't threats, so she makes an alliance with one of them, and there's basically nothing she does that can be considered quirky or unique. Thus, as inactivity sets in before the thread's even over, her boring fate is sealed. Swoosh gets control of her from there, and she's easily disarmed and decapitated by Angharad without contributing anything of note or worth to the game.

Again!

Return to “Roleplaying Discussion”