Land of Milk and Honey, Don't Fail Me Now

Here is where all threads set in the past belong. This is the place to post your characters' memories, good or bad, major or insignificant. Handlers may have one active memory thread at the same time as their normal active present-day thread. Memory one-shots are always acceptable.
Rorick Skyve*

Post by Rorick Skyve* »

The longer Maxim listened to Cristo, the more he got the impression that he had not erred in his judgment. No, not only an impression, he was certain now. Coming here was the best idea he had all day, probably even all week. He couldn't remember the last time he had had a talk with one of his peers, no talk he deemed pleasant and insightful in retrospect, at least. No talk he didn't regret.

It was fascinating to him, really. The things the other boy said seemed so simple, common almost. Things he should have known himself. And yet, to him, it felt like he was witnessing an almost prophetic revelation, trickles of earthly wisdom seeping into his brain. Awfully hammy, but those were the words he came up with, he couldn't help it.

Ha, right on cue. As soon as he started praising the substance of their conversation, Cristo switched to something so mundane again. Maxim's choice of sweets. There was something funny about that, he couldn't deny it. He had to grin.

It didn't stop there, though. Somehow, that one question, that one silly phrase, it sparked a reaction within that surprised himself more than anyone else. ." If you were going to get something from the bake sale, what would it be?" Hell, what in the world made that so hilarious to him?

Maxim laughed. Rather short-lived, wheezing a bit, but he did laugh. In fact, it felt quite pleasant to him, like all the remaining ballast of his repressed, pent-up anxiety was just falling off of him, crumbling into dust. He actually had no idea what to answer either, so many possibilites. This got another chuckle out of him, looking and sounding almost like a remnant of a hiccup.

"Sorry, sorry. Just...thought of something funny. Nothing important." He wiped away a single tear from the corner of his eye, holding back a final snicker. "But well...I'm not sure, honestly speaking. If I had to choose spontaneously, I'd go with...muffins, I think. The ones with blueberries. Either them, or...do they sell scones here? If so, then a few of those, yes."
backslash

Post by backslash »

Consciously or not, Cristóbal had made the decision that he was just going to try and take everything Maxim said or did in stride. The other boy was clearly unused to talking to people at length, possibly even moreso than Cristo himself. So he just nodded along absently when Maxim asked him to disregard his outburst and instead focused on what they were saying.

"Muffins are always a good bet, especially the kind with fruit. I don't know about scones being at this bake sale, but I'm pretty sure there's a place or two downtown that sells them. One of those family bakeries, if you ever check those out."

He mused for another moment on the various baked goods that had graced his life over the years. It was a somewhat dangerous train of thought, what with the increasing likelihood that he'd be tempted to go and spend more money on another snack. "Cookies are always good, as long as they're not stale. Some people complain about the ones that have raisins in them, but I like raisins so they've never bothered me." People got pretty... invested in their opinions on whether or not cookies should have raisins. Cristóbal had never quite understood the need some people had to make a point about the most mundane things.

"Oh, and cakes. I saw a few when I was walking around. Don't know if any of them would be anything besides vanilla or chocolate, but the bakeries around town can make some pretty good varieties."
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Rorick Skyve*

Post by Rorick Skyve* »

Maxim slightly grimaced the second Cristo brought up raisins. One of the few times he could find himself agreeing with a vast majority of people;  those unholy spawns had no place in something as innocently delicious as a cookie - or anything at all, as far as he was concerned. Still, he found himself agreeing with rest of the other boy's statement.

There were quite a few bakeries around town, none of which he had paid a visit to thus far. He had by no means a sweet tooth, but still, he deemed it a shame, a neglect even. Actually, what if he just went there right now? What was stopping him? Well, Cristo, obviously. He had come here, started a conversation, he couldn't just up and leave now. Or could he?

Maxim saw an opportunity present itself. Just a stupid little idea that grew in the back of his head, one that required Cristo to actually want to spend more time with the likes of him. Should he ask him? His eyes glanced to the side, fixating a lonely tree for a moment, then returned to the other boy's face. He felt reluctant. Just asking someone to stop whatever they were doing and accompany him, that was not his style, not at all. And yet, this  moment seemed so ideal for it. He had pressed his luck thus far, with more than satisfying results, even more so than he would have imagined.

Maxim bit his lip. He really wanted to do it and at the same time, he didn't. No, that was not true, he did want to, absolutely did. No merit in trying to convince himself of the opposite. So...

He cleared his throat in order to interrupt the other boy. His fingers weren't shaking anymore, were they? Just to be safe, he slid both his hands under the table, out of view. Nothing to fear now. "Hey, sorry for interrupting, but I figured...we both seem to have nothing better to do right now -" He immediately raised one hand again, feeling the urge to touch his own face. "Didn't mean for it to sound like you...I was just speaking for myself, alright?" Deep breaths. All was fine.

"To get to the point right away: Would you like to go to one of those bakeries together? Not even right now, not necessarily.  Whenever you want, if you want at all. Just something that I thought of, you know?"
backslash

Post by backslash »

Cristo's surprise showed once again at Maxim's sudden request, but it wasn't unpleasant surprise. People didn't often invite him to go do things, especially not just out of the blue like this. It was unexpected, yes, but a rather nice feeling nonetheless.

"Well, I'm waiting for my mom to pick me up right now, so I can't really go running off anywhere. But there's no baseball practice this weekend and I don't have any plans, so I could maybe show you around some of the shops downtown...?"

He was indeed very familiar with Kingman's selection of bakeries. Maybe his sweet tooth wasn't as prominent as it had been when he was a little kid, but Cristo still loved to indulge in sweets and pastries every now and then. He ran through his mental checklist of the shops that he knew of; a lot of them were in the historic part of downtown, and fairly close enough together so that it was possible to walk from one to the other. It sounded like a good afternoon, to be sure.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Rorick Skyve*

Post by Rorick Skyve* »

He could see it in the other boy's eyes, no, written all over his eyes. The question had taken him by surprise, startled him. Of course it had, it had come out of nowhere, after all. Had he been too rash, overconfident? What if Cristo took it the wrong way? He barely knew him for a few minutes, after all and he was already being pushy like this.

Maxim could feel his heart sink a bit, fear creeping in. Cristo wasn't taken aback by him now, was he? Anything but that, please. He didn't mean anything by it, he had only gotten excited, happy to be comfortable around someone for a change. That was no crime, was it?

But it seemed he had worried over nothing - again. The other boy didn't seem to be angered, annoyed or even rattled. He was either hiding it quite well or he was legitimately content with his request. So he had been right in the end. This one was someone to latch onto - only figuratively, of course. He just had to refrain from overdoing it, which could very well happen, given these new sentiments of overwhelming excitement. He couldn't let that get the better of him. Stay relaxed and go along with it, all he had to do.

"I'd be happy to! I mean, I don't really have plans for the weekend either, nothing I can't do at another time, at least. So...yes, why not?" He was genuinely smiling by now. These would be some tough few days to get through until the weekend finally rolled by. Burdened with impatience and unease and all that. But it looked like it'd be worth it in the end. Yes, definitely looked like it.

"Just one thing: It won't be too crowded there, will it? The places you intend to show me, I mean. Because...you know, I'm not really good with crowds. Reason I came here, after all."
backslash

Post by backslash »

Cristo shrugged with one shoulder, a nonverbal "maybe, maybe not" in answer to Maxim's latest question. The guy sure did love his questions. "There'll be some people, but usually if you go after lunch hours end, you can avoid the rush. Two o'clock or so is slower."

He supposed that Maxim didn't often get invited to things either, or invite people to do things with him. A solitary sort of guy, clearly. Hard to tell if he was that way of his own volition or if he avoided people out of convenience, like Cristóbal did. It wasn't that he didn't like people, he just had little to no idea what to do with most of them when they were around. It was a puzzle he'd never quite been able to work out, save for with one or two individuals.

"Some of the places also do soup and sandwiches, or other lunch plates, that kind of thing. It's nice to stop by for a break if you've been out shopping or something. Of course, you can always just get a muffin or something too, if you've already had lunch or just aren't in the mood."
Rorick Skyve*

Post by Rorick Skyve* »

Maxim nodded, once, twice - almost every third word out of Cristo's mouth was met with a nod. He was barely even catching what the other boy said, focusing more on making himself look as agreeable as possible - no, agreeable wasn't the right word, was it? Approving, consenting, that was probably it. He still wasn't as impeccably fluent as he would have liked to be. Bother.

This Cristo though, he seemed to know the ropes, be at home in the subject of localities. Knew his way around, well versed and all.

Too many synonyms. He really needed to stop thinking so much about what he was thinking - overthink everything. This guy here, he clearly was all relaxed, casual, didn't look like he was worrying about anything at all. Didn't look like it took him much or any effort either. Maybe that was what he, Maxim, should try. Be all casual. Worth a try, at least.

"Sounds good, yes, it does! I'd die for a good sandwich. Not, uh, literally, you know what I mean. " Maxim chuckled. Didn't feel like he was forcing himself to do so. Well, maybe a bit. But he was getting there or would eventually, at least. Maybe. Possibly.

"In any case, we have an agreement then, right? Meet up at the weekend and all." Yes, this was working out for him. Only had to seal the deal now. Like proper grown-ups. So much for casual.

Maxim, albeit reluctantly, extended one hand, reaching out towards Cristo over the table. He didn't like the prospect of touching someone else, but he needed to be sure, sure that Cristo was giving him his word, no empty promises, even though the boy certainly didn't look like one to do such a thing. Still, it had to be done. This one security, he would insist on.

"Shake on it?"
backslash

Post by backslash »

Cristo grinned at that, a rare full smile that showed his teeth. "Sure." He reached across the table and clasped Maxim's hand in his. He was a fairly big guy, and Cristóbal's hand was almost swallowed in his. It almost seemed funny in some way, but that was more likely a result of Cristo's buoyant mood at the moment.

"It's a deal. I'll show you all the baked goods you can handle." And just in time too, as a beat-up green Chevrolet rolled into view in the corner of Cristo's vision. "Oh, and that's my mom. I should go now, but it was nice to meet you, Maxim." He released Maxim's hand and stood, gathering up his things before stepping away from the table and turning to leave.

He threw a wave back at the other boy before fully turning away. "I'll see you this weekend, then!" With that, he jogged off to meet his mom's car, just a bit more jovial than usual.
Rorick Skyve*

Post by Rorick Skyve* »

For a brief moment Maxim was all too worried that he was going to grip Cristo's hand too tightly, somehow manage to scare the other boy off, right in front of the finish line. That fear however, evaporated as soon as their hands met. He had expected it to feel wrong, unpleasant, icky, itchy and many more less than desirable terms. Yet it just felt...normal? Neutral, more like. Just a quick touch of foreign flesh, one firm shake and it was over. Really not that bad. Still, he had no desire to repeat that gesture all too soon.

Cristo was grinning at him. Maybe he was amused somehow? He most certainly seemed to be content. Happy, even. Yes, there was no reason to worry, no reason at all. It was done, dealt with, happy ending achieved. Maybe it was the overwhelming feeling of relief washing over him, or maybe that other boy's smile was just highly contagious, either way, Maxim had to smile back at him.

"I'll be looking forward to it. So yeah...thanks again." The car pulling up behind them in that moment turned out to be yet another relief. He had already run out of things to say, without sounding awkward in any case. So his disappointment about his potential newfound buddy leaving didn't last all too long. He waved back at Cristo as he left, still keeping up his smile. Yeah, it was for the best, really. He'd think of more things to talk with him about until their next planned meeting, he was sure of it. Maybe the two of them even shared some hobbies, who could know? Almost too good to be true, but quite possible. Still, he was content with how it had turned out either way. Could have handled it worse, way worse. Result spoke for itself.

Maxim kept sitting at the lonely bench for several more minutes, silently contemplating what to do next with his day, until he finally concluded that he had no clue. Which basically translated to him going back home and continuing his campaign of Neverwinter Nights. And he was totally fine with that. After all, he had certainly achieved more than enough for one day.

((Maxim Kehlenbrink continued elsewhere))

Return to “Memories from the Past”