V8 BKA/BDA Voting: November 2022

V8 BKA/BDA #1

Each month, SOTF hosts various contests on the site, the most notable of which are the Best Kill and Best Death contests. Winners of said contests receive prizes that will be beneficial to either their character or themselves. Voting for these contests will take place here!
VoltTurtle

V8 BKA/BDA Voting: November 2022

Post by VoltTurtle »

Welcome to November's Best Kill and Best Death Awards. Before we begin, the rules:

1. In this thread, you may post as an anonymous guest to select one student to receive the day's Best Kill Award, and one handler to receive the Best Death Award. Prizes will be given out in-character for BKA, consisting of a weapon and food, and out-of-character for BDA, consisting of a quote from their character to be displayed on the board index until the next BDA is awarded.
2. You may only vote while logged out. You can identify yourself in your vote if you want, but you may not claim to be another handler.
3. You may only vote once, and you may not vote for yourself in either category. Staff can see IP addresses, and we will check them if we have reason to suspect shenanigans.
4. You must provide reasoning with your vote for why you think your choices deserve the award. Votes with no reasoning will not be counted.
5. Don't be a jerk. You can explain why some scenes are your favorites without tearing others down.
6. Make sure that your answers are clear; please don't use any formatting that might cause votes to be miscounted or left out.
7. Please be sure to read every kill and death before voting, please vote for your genuine favorites rather than just voting for your friends, and please don't campaign for awards in the chat or otherwise try to influence the vote.

And your Best Kill and Best Death contestants:

BEST KILL AWARD:

Katelyn Graves for killing Robin Valenti
Janice Cresner for killing Tristana "Tana" Blanco Osuna
Przemyslaw "Przemek" Ziemiak for killing Ethan Kemp
Betty Quinn for killing Oakley York
Katelyn Graves for killing Iliya "Liya" Polaris
Janice Cresner for killing Piper Puncheon
Jacob Lang for killing Spike Havighurst
Jessica Romero for killing Mallory "Mal" Valdez
Aracelis Fuentes for killing Constance Blanchet
Jezzie Stark for killing Steven "EXTREME STEVE" Dodds

BEST DEATH AWARD:

Pippi for the death of Robin Valenti
AnimeNerd for the death of Tristana "Tana" Blanco Osuna
DerArknight for the death of Ethan Kemp
Grand Moff Hissa for the death of Oakley York
BlizzardeyeWonder for the death of Iliya "Liya" Polaris
Namira for the death of Piper Puncheon
RC for the death of Spike Havighurst
Ruggahissy for the death of Mallory "Mal" Valdez
Salic for the death of Constance Blanchet
Gundham for the death of Steven "EXTREME STEVE" Dodds

Voting will run for five days. Votes will remain hidden until time is up, and the winners will be declared in the following announcement.

Medic

Post by Medic »

I had about five in mind on both sides because honestly the quality was up there across the board, but ultimately went with the following:

- Jezzie Stark for BKA. I picked this one because I love the vibe of like… what could have been a simple accidental trip kill spiralling, because Jezzie has had a fucking day. So if it had simply been the accidental stab, oh that’s it, it woulda been okay. But I love her just snapping, because her situation has been all these little frustrations and then literally tripping into a murder and being like OH FOR FUCKS SAKE but in the most brutal STAB STAB STAB way is just so fun/horrible. It’s like ‘jesus christ girl’ but also like you kinda feel it because of how high-pressure the game is, and sometimes it just really does take that little push.
(Honorary shout-out to STEVE for his mix of genuine oh-god-I’m-being-stabbed horror and the hilarity/mood of ‘bruh,’ you were a consideration too buddy but I wanted to spread stuff around.)

- Mallory ‘Mal’ Valdez for BDA. I love that she’s so unlikable (in like a way that is fun storywise) and also love this spiraling from something pre-island, love the past coming back to fuck shit up. And like how she absolutely walked into this by firing from the shadows to start with, and then insisting on protesting that it wasn’t her, and like… so much of this is her running headlong into this while insisting it’s not her fault, and being so vicious while internally trying to maintain her innocence. Like going from pleading for help to immediately flipping to vicious once she got that help. But I also love the little bit of like… her seeing Rebecca clearly horrified and trying to reassure her, because there’s no grudge THERE, and if she’d just run instead or something she probably would have lived, so I also love that little bit of kindness biting her. And love that she doesn’t get any last minute ‘I was in the wrong’ vibes. Love that she tries to excuse it all with ‘I didn’t mean it.’
camM9q5rDDtGaXHBrW4g

Post by camM9q5rDDtGaXHBrW4g »

BEST KILL AWARD:
KILLER: S118: BETTY QUINN [Catche Jagger], VICTIM: S113: OAKLEY YORK [Grand Moff Hissa]

I may end up pleasantly surprised here, but I predict this will be, in comparison to some of the other kills, a niche choice. I do not entirely know why I feel this way, but I have a hunch. To start, it is somewhat of a daunting read—the actual act of violence that results in the death is only the tip of the iceberg, and after that, a one-shot and a second thread before the death occurs.

Of course, that is not to call it an incorrect choice or miscalculation. There was a method here from the start—that much is certain. And from the word go, the execution was brilliant. I think the decision to open the scene "in medias res" was bold but paid in dividends. It allows the readers to skip any unnecessary preamble and cut directly to the meat and bones of the scene.

In this case, that would be the debate between Betty Quinn and Oakley York and the subsequent undoing of the latter. The argument itself is very engaging. There is an implication in each word said on both sides of the coin, but the scene is nonetheless hazy and obscure in a captivating way. The handler of Oakley York heightens this opaque feeling by excluding the actual plans or motivations of the character. He is the unknown factor in a grand equation—unfortunately, Betty Quinn solves him, a Gordian solution to the problem.

Subsequently, Oakley takes a passive role in the following two scenes. That is a reasonable choice for a character who has just suffered a serious (and eventually fatal) head injury. Here, his handler exercises a good sense of timing and an ability to change voices on the fly. The prose becomes vague but in a different way. It is floaty and blurry as if submerged in a thick semi-solid. On occasion, the camera seems to pan out and gives us a more detached (but still engaging) view of the situation.

Then, we end up with the Shakespearean death of Oakley York, which I think is good—and not just because of its unexpected nature. It was shocking at the time, but it stands on its own. There is an unexplainable melancholy there. By the end, Oakley York was destroyed utterly: he could no longer comprehend where he was, what he was supposed to do, or even the horrible fate that had befallen him.

I will also give examples of some of my favorite lines here to showcase my favorite bits of dialogue and narrative.

Grand Moff Hissa wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:17 am "Well," he said, closing his eyes for a moment and continuing to watch the light change through his eyelids, "I don't know if the right question is really what I'm planning to do."

He tucked his hands into his pockets, breathed out, and opened his eyes again to watch the cloud dissipate.

"I think it's a lot more interesting to ask: if you were me, what would you do?"

This section introduces the argument between Betty Quinn and Oakley York. It sets up the immediate cohesive throughline of the ensuing conversation and cuts right to the heart of the matter.

Grand Moff Hissa wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:30 am "You've seen those memes about the trolley problem?" he asked. "What it sounds like you're asking is, do you flip the switch to send it down a track filled with bodies, if at the end of the line there's a slot machine?"

He laughed again, but there was an edge of derision to it now.

"Oh, but you're not asking if it's a good idea. You're asking what I would do if I were you."

He shook his head more firmly now, rolling his shoulders. It was chilly out here, even as morning properly broke. He wondered if he would be leaving this spot alone or with company. Right now, the former was looking more likely.

"If I was me," Oakley said, "I'd probably roll the dice. I'm fairly lucky, and I trust myself to stand at the lever. But if I was you..."

A quieter chuckle now.

"...I guess I'd ask somebody else."

Grand Moff Hissa effectively and convincingly makes Oakley a genuinely menacing presence in this post. There's an implication of what Oakley might do, but there's a level of uncertainty that only makes the situation more unsettling.

Catche Jagger wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:39 am Oakley’s answer was met with dead air, which seemed to carry for some time before Quinn’s voice returned, but quieter and closer, a clear edge of anxiety coloring the words.

“Oakley, do you… believe in anything?”

Even as someone who tends towards verbosity and long-windedness, I can recognize a good, short post—this is one. There is a mixture of anxiety and disbelief and disgust and shock, all in a six-word span. This question is poignant and holds even more gravity as the thing that ultimately seals the fate of Oakley York.

Grand Moff Hissa wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:02 am "I believe in myself."

This answer is entirely predictable but stems so consistently from the character that it is impressive. I believe that the handler was remarkably in-tune with the voice, despite the short time the character was around.

Grand Moff Hissa wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:20 am Oakley was pleasantly impressed with Betty, personal complications she was causing aside. She had a strong sense of timing after all. That was some good dramatic irony. Here Oakley had flattered himself into imagining standing at the lever, never suspecting that he was already tied to the tracks.

I like this section and how it relates to the earlier mention of the trolley problem. That is all—not a lot of commentary on this other than that it is good and warrants mention.

Grand Moff Hissa wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:00 am Closer inspection would reveal that, aside from the clothes he wore, Oakley had nothing on him. He still had his mismatched fingerless gloves—left black, right red—but the ostentatious zebra stripe hat he'd worn on the bus was missing. But it wasn't just that. His bags were nowhere to be seen. Not a scrap of equipment or personal belongings remained.

Even his wallet was gone.

I think this is an example of the ability of the handler to switch voices on the fly, changing the manner of description easily and quickly. It is different from the rest of Oakley York but remains in tune with the rest of the narrative.

Grand Moff Hissa wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:31 am And there, in a flash, was something that Oakley had been trying to remember for days and weeks, though he'd finally gotten it down pat a few days before the trip, and so it rolled out at first with the natural cadence that came to iambic pentameter only through arduous practice:

"I will be brief, for my short date of breath
Is not so long as is a tedious tale.
Romeo, there dead, was husband..."

But his voice trailed off. Everything was very fuzzy. His brows came together, but unevenly with the damage to his eye.

"Romeo," he said, "there dead, was...

"Romeo...

"Romeo, there dead, was husband to..."

His frown deepened. He'd always hated flubbing lines, and that at least was still a clear thought. His enunciation had fallen apart, slurred and broken, and he took a deep and rasping breath but it just wasn't coming.

But these people were kind, and gentle, even if Oakley couldn't see them or tell who they were precisely, even if he didn't know where he was or what was going on. It was bright but cold, and he might be still in bed, and maybe it would be better to close his eyes and take the time he needed, and he'd remember everything when he woke up. There'd been something that felt really, really important, but maybe it actually wasn't, just like missing a line didn't matter when you weren't on stage. It could wait, couldn't it? There'd be time.

This sequence is crushing to read, in my opinion. I discussed it earlier, but I believe it deserves a specific mention—the prose is good. Anyway, I think that is all for this vote, so...

BEST DEATH AWARD:
S019: ROBIN VALENTI [Pippi]

So, Pip is one of my favorite writers on the site. I imagine it comes with the territory of having so much experience with SOTF, but I have found myself drawn heavily to her work. This death, I am pleased to say, is no exception. I was astonished that he was our first out because, at the time, it seemed like Pip was going for the finish line with him—he was one of the most prominent characters in V8 Pregame, and in a version where Pregame turnout was notably low, that made him stand out. But that is not the only thing that makes this death notable. Aside from the scene itself, with its framing and blocking, both done with a deft hand, the posts are jam-packed with evocative and emotional sentences that hit like a freight train.

I will point to some of my favorite lines as examples here.

Pippi wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:34 pm Each word indistinguishable from the next, each sound a dull soft thud, cargo sinking down to the depths of the sea. He was in the side room at a party, hearing but not comprehending the conversation happening in the lounge. He was awake in the middle of the night, only half-lucid, a light filtering through the crack under his bedroom door, incomprehensible words being exchanged right outside of it.

I tend to be someone drawn naturally to repetition. As I have found out—the hard way—that is not an easy beat to sell. You run the risk of belaboring the point, which reduces the impact. I think these lines are great examples of how to do repetition right. Pip is excellent at writing evocative imagery, which makes the repetition much more pleasant and bearable to read than it otherwise would. These lines paint a clear picture and are easy to imagine.

Pippi wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:34 pm Maybe she’d changed her mind. Maybe she was going to leave him. Maybe she was going to save him. Maybe he was long, long gone already. He felt a sense of warmth on his cheek, a kind of tenderness he hadn’t experienced for years, something he had thrown away for foot on the podium and a medal of fool’s gold.

Again, a combination of skilled uses of repetition, albeit in a different manner. Here, instead of weaving in evocative imagery to justify the repetition, Pip uses the snappy, repetitive nature of the first four sentences to deliver a series of emotional punches. Then, the second half of the last sentence captures another piece of evocative imagery—I imagined the scene of Robin basking in a victory in my head with ease.

Pippi wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:34 pm Engine off.

Red flag: session will resume in one hour's time.

S019 - ROBIN "ROMEO" VALENTI: DECEASED

I think that there is an art to writing a closing line. They are the capstones and keystones to your story, especially in a medium like SOTF, where death is frequent, final, and, for the most part, inevitable. Here, Pip again bats a home run. I like the use of an allusion to describe the actual process of Robin dying. It is novel and thematic. All in all, this is a solid end to our would-be F1 superstar.
Sailor Starry Night

Post by Sailor Starry Night »

it is i, an ip address that refuses to state my identity for the interest of being a vague mystery, you shall never know my true identity, mwahahahahahaha

anyways

For Best Kill Award, my vote goes to Jessica Romero killing Mallory "Mal" Valdez. As it turns out, I am a sucker for home drama to catch up with and wreck havoc on the island. This isn't the only kill with those circumstances, but I think it's my favorite. The fact that it focuses so much on a character that couldn't have even been on the trip, and how Mal ultimately feels like her sister overshadowed her even in death thanks to Jessica's apology, which does make you feel bad for her, until you remember why she's in these circumstances in the first place, and even then, still kinda sad. She dug this grave, she has to lie in it, and no one is really happy about it.

For Best Death Award, my vote goes to what I hope is the easy choice, Grand Moff Hissa for the death of Oakley York. It's always fun when someone with major head trauma doesn't immediately die after receiving it, and while he still didn't last too long after that, I think Oakley still left a significant mark by lasting just long enough to die in front of like four or so people-immediate trauma already, nice! Bonus points for having him be so out of it that he just started rehearsing lines from Romeo and Juliet, a nice touch that really sells just how bad he's doing before the end.
Me!

Post by Me! »

I would like to vote for:

Janice Cresner for BKA, for killing Piper Puncheon. Similar to Piper's surname the scene is punchy. But it's also rapid, dirty, and desperate. And then she's utterly battered afterwards. It feels thoroughly real and thoroughly earned. Honourable mention of course to Namira for the other half of it, I'd love to vote Piper for the death award too but...

Pippi for BDA, for the death of Robin Valenti. Yeah I know, first one off the grid, being in pole position has an advantage and all that... but F1 puns aside it's a truly horrible scene, in a good way. The description of Robin's feeling of disorientation and powerlessness really lands for me, calls back thankfully rare memories of being extremely tired and/or intoxicated and/or exhausted where I too felt like I couldn't properly will energy into my limbs, or the bizarre kind of perception where I couldn't be entirely sure if the information reaching my brain was what was actually being input by reality. Really excellent stuff.
Apples

Post by Apples »

BKA

Giving this one personally to Jessica Romero's kill of Mallory Valdez. It's just so visceral and violent, and that's something I really really love to see in kills. Just two girls going at each other violently and brutally for some fun character motivation with a ton of violence and great descriptions, plus Rebekah's attempts to interfere and nearly messing everything up is also pretty fun.

BDA

Has to go to Oakley York's death. Something about the framing of it and how Toben described stuff just spoke to me. Being hit in the head with a rock and having Oakley just... struggle to remember, having his brain piece together completely unrelated things and then having that absolutely beautiful beat of Oakley struggling to recite a poem and then falling silent shortly after just really made it for me. Toben did a great job with Oakley's internal monologue.

Post by Guest »

BKA: Janice for killing Piper
BDA: Gundham for the death of Steven "EXTREME STEVE" Dodds

This vote for BDA/BKA has been disqualified due to lack of reasoning.
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Hey everyone! Just over 3 days left for voting. As a reminder, please make sure to read the rules in the opening post. Specifically, make sure to include reasoning in your posts as to why you're voting for a given character/scene, and don't be a jerk; disparaging others in your vote (even offhand) isn't acceptable!

Post by Guest »

Best Kill: Kitty Graves for killing Robin Valenti. I thought this was a very solid first kill, and having it take place in the first thread of the version really sets the tone for things to be grim going forward. Robin and Kitty's history is clearly referenced to explain why there is such tension between them, as well as why it escalates so quickly. I think that both writers brought a lot to this scene, and Kitty's horror over injuring Robin and then justification of finishing the job as a mercy kill, followed by how intense her remorse is afterwards, is a real rollercoaster. A very good show from two very good writers.

Best Death: Ruggahissy for Mallory Valdez. Mallory and Jessica's scene was also a strong one involving pregame beef. The action here was really nice and tight, and I got a lot of enjoyment out of just how slimy Mallory is. She's pathetic and begging for help while on the losing end of the fight and then immediately flips to unrepentantly vicious as soon as she thinks she has the upper hand. It makes her getting her just desserts very satisfying. I also liked her complete refusal to admit any wrongdoing even as she's dying; I feel like we don't often see someone clinging to being terrible to the very end.

Honorable mentions to Betty and Aracelis for both being quite interesting killers with a grudge against intact skulls, Iliya for another great death sequence with Kitty, and Tana for having a starting line death concept that I liked a whole lot.

Post by Guest »

BKA vote goes to Katelyn Graves for killing Robin Valenti.

It is a strong scene for both, but Katelyn shines by the range of emotions that result in a tragedy that neither can be really spoken guilty of. While the reader naturally wants the two to reconcille, Katelyn is giving ample of reasons for refusing to listen to Robin to explain her outburst and attack. Robin not dying on the spot is another big moment, since it forces her to quickly accept her action and go through with it by dealing the finishing blow, which brings up an important hobby of hers. Basically, the scene had Katelyn snapping five minutes on the island without feeling forced and included both pregamme connections and biography mentions of her, thus making it feel like a kill that only she could have done.

BDA vote goes to Gundham for the death of Steven "EXTREME STEVE" Dodds.

EXTREME STEVE was a character I had some reservations about when he was applied, given how he seemed to be a meme that somehow became big enough to bloom into a full character. I was unsure if EXTREME STEVE would actually fit on the grim island.

Such worries turned out to be completely unfounded, as Gundham quickly proved able to walk the line between comedy and the situation of SOTF. EXTREME STEVE is funny when he can afford to while still feeling like a serious character due to his subtle darker moments.

His death is a perfect example for that: It starts with the entry of Jezzie, another more comedic character with her long inner rants, who promptly falls in the same hole EXTREME STEVE got stuck in since his first post. But just as the scene seems to devolve into goofy slapstick, her knife lands in the wrong place and suddenly we are back in SOTF and Jezzie stabs the poor boy to death. The sudden shift in tone is copied in his death post, which starts off casually describing how EXTREME STEVE would have started up a conversation if he had been able to talk, just to then transition into a gruesome description of the stabbing from his perspective. And then, once EXTREME STEVE can talk for a last time, it suddenly sweers back into funny with a single line.

Comedy and suspense are difficult to combine, but Gundham did a fantastic job doing so with EXTREME STEVE.
Blinking

Post by Blinking »

Best Kill award: Betty Quinn! Part of it is its... makeshift brutality. Like, a lot of time we get these emotional, drawn out, confrontational deaths. Those that are pretty cinematic, I mean. The imagery of this small girl just suddenly smashing someone's head in with a rock is a lot more, I dunno, unique (?) or more like. It's plain and it's brutal and it's relatively quick, and it honestly highlights her cold utalitarianism and sheer fuckedupness (which is mostly situational anyways.) Nothing on cinimatic deaths! I just think in this specific case the slightly more minimalistic approach is done well. Also, on a slightly more meta sense, I'd love to see her a. with a gun and b. even more fucked up, which bkas tend to do. The death itself was also great, and I love how she has this assumption that, y'know, extremely traumatic head injuries kill instantly, and it didn't, and she doesn't know that she condemned poor oak to some pretty fucked up shit ): it is what it is

Beath Death Award: Liya. I'm a sucker for evocative imagery about how injuries work, I'm a sucker for metaphorical depictions, I'm a sucker for poetic themes pertaining to characters. She hits all three in her death post, which ties her to this constant, machanical tie-in. The circuit/connection theme going on. The way that I could practically feel what she's feeling, physically, the strain of the body, the sweat on my neck. It's great.

Post by Guest »

Best Kill - Aracelis Fuentes for killing Constance Blanchet
I always prefer the BKA to be a cross between OOC what-was-good and IC who-them-terrorists-like and Aracelis fits that combination the best. She's from my view of the kills one of the best established villains of the version thus far, and I can see the terrorists digging her. Deamon has let there character of Aracelis speak for herself thus far, trusting the reader to draw their own conclusions without trying to hard or getting all artsy-fartsy with it. I like that.

Best Death - Pippi for the death of Robin Valenti
Almost certainly the best first death of a version I can remember at least, Pippi establishes the situation, gives us a believable conflict, and wraps it all up in five posts. What bam thank you man. Nothing too stylistic needed, just good honest prose and the guy is dead. Don't need pregame, don't need anything else to get the gist of what's going on and why he's dead right away. Big ups.

Post by Guest »

Bka: betty quinn

Aside from the fact that scene was well written and felt very cinematic, and that the dialogue was great, I feel like the terrorist would give Betty Quinn the BKA from the current killer pool, because she had only been given the ouija board and they‘d probably want her to also have a gun, so she can be even more dangerous. I feel like it went under the radar and that it‘d motivate more murder if she had been given a proper weapon. Especially since a lot of the other kills being accidents or self defense, giving betty a proper weapon and rewarding her for the harsh kill, would make sense to me.

Bda: steven dodds

EXTREME STEVE was just a very funny character, with a really cool and creative starting and death scene. Kudos to every character involved in that thread. He‘s a very quotable character as well, which makes it easier for us to find quotes, and I want to honor an iconic v8 character that was gone too soon by rewarding him with a bda nomination.

Also a couple of shoutouts, oakley had a really great death post and ethan had a fantastic last line. But EXTREME STEVE still wins it for me personally because the whole thread/scene was just a joy.
L1-21

Post by L1-21 »

BKA - Betty Quinn - Betty had an interesting start and while her motives are still being held back somewhat this thread but the thread creates a good amount of intrigue while keeping her decision somewhat justified. I also enjoy her she instantly feels guilt for her actions but tries to push them away as being for the greater good of the rest of the class, which an interesting building plot to put in place going forward. Something I also interested in seeing. There's also a nice little bit of foreshadowing going on with how Betty's movements are described that makes the actual attack surprising but not entirely shocking, which is a nice bit of subtle writing.

BDA - Iliya "Liya" Polaris - I liked a lot of the machine style imagery and turns of phrase Liya deploys in this thread and combined steady build of tension in this scene it turns into something really interesting. The conflict as she encounters Kitty and tried to figure out what to do is also well-done. The thoughts she has about only needing one kill and considering killing Kitty for that is well done and once she has that moment of weakness where she commits to the plan—however briefly—only to be immediately punished for it is a good thread long arc.

Also this line is very good.
But the words I'm sorry were skewered in her throat.
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

A little over two days left for voting!

Return to “Contest Voting”