Goblin Castle

Day 1; open!

The housing in the town is made up of simple two-story houses, most of these of built in the style of 70s and 80s American suburbs despite being far removed from such a setting. Many of the houses have similar layouts with some divergence: most feature a bottom floor consisting of a kitchen, dining room and living room, a second floor with a master and secondary bedroom, and a bathroom with a tub. A few of the houses have garages, but the vehicles they contained are either gone or have been rendered inoperable.

Thread Limit: 2
Grand Moff Hissa

Post by Grand Moff Hissa »

Olive missed the rock tossed back her way because she was looking over at the house next door. Elodie was peaking out through a crack, so Olive waved with her red-gloved hand. Then the rock thumped against the ground near her and she jumped and glared back at the house the other girl was in.

What did Olive want? She wanted to talk. Hadn't she just said that?

But Olive took a deep breath. She imagined her irritation going out with the steam. This was a very stressful situation, even for people who hadn't seen what she'd seen. And she couldn't assume they hadn't seen anything. She didn't know.

"I want to talk," she said again. "I heard you breaking stuff, and I was breaking stuff too, because..."

It was hard for Olive to explain why she was breaking things. She felt lost and powerless, but smashing windows meant she at least had some say in something. She got to decide that the windows would shatter. She got to create noise and destruction. She was asserting her existence. But she didn't know how to say that.

"But I thought maybe we might have something else in common," she said, instead of trying. "And the others left. So we could talk? Elodie too?"

She looked at the other house and smiled. Then she looked back at the house she'd been pelting. All the broken windows smiled at her.

"...maybe in Elodie's house, though?" Olive said.

"...might be warmer."
I bid you all dark greetings!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

So Olive broke windows. Her neighbor broke plates. Elodie almost thought she was the only one here who didn’t break anything until she remembered slamming the rock down on the guillotine. So at least they had that in common?

Elodie stepped out a bit, the door slowly squeaking closed behind her. She put the shank away for a moment, and stood, shoulders straight.

Don’t let them see you’re afraid.

Was Elodie like, being placed in the role of friend-matchmaker kinda?

Elodie looked behind her, biting her lip for a moment in thought.

“It’s warm, yeah.”

No shattered windows. She could get them open, but there was a pretty good seal on them so it was trickier. It felt like it had pretty good insulation. Plus, there was a fireplace in the living room, which might be helpful when it got colder. She had no idea what the other house was like, other than shattered windows.

“Hey, I don’t want to start problems. And you don’t, either, right? So! I’m willing to get everyone in one place to talk things over.”

Which could mean a lot of things. She didn’t think the group from earlier was dangerous, and while Olive broke things she didn’t come off as dangerous, either. The only known questions were her neighbor, and the whole gunshot thing. She didn’t see who was shooting, nor why. So it was best to be careful!

And, well, all that noise was bound to attract people. If it turned out someone was looking for victims, it’d be like a beacon. You might as well put up a flashing neon sign saying ‘KILL PEOPLE HERE.’ So it would be a good call to get them to stop via truce. Again, a little risky, depending on who was her neighbor, but at least she'd know who it was and how to deal with them.
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

Very, VERY naive of Elodie to assume nobody here wanted to start problems!

Anyhow, she was NOT getting into Elodie's house. No fucking way. She wasn't going to stay here, probably, but she wasn't about to dive headfirst into someone else's turf on Murder Place. Where gunshots were already heard. Like, she felt genuinely indignant.

But at the same time she doesn't know what will happen. It's scary, being here. She couldn't articulate her words well. She felt like trailing off. Was that normal? She hoped that was normal. She didn't want to be afraid. She hated her own fear.

"Uh," Millie said, "Sure? Lemme get down first- What do you need to talk about?"
Blood Tongue Nails Teeth
Grand Moff Hissa

"Okay," Olive said. She clapped her hands. They went "puff" instead of "clap" because of the gloves. "Great."

She felt a lot better right away now that she wasn't getting ignored anymore. It would be nice to go somewhere warm, too. Olive had been out in the cold all day so far, and doing a lot of walking. Snow pants only helped so much.

But there was a little problem: now they wanted to know what Olive wanted to talk about. Even Olive only kind of knew.

She sort of just wanted to talk with people who might be like her. Those were hard to find even back home. The shattering had drawn her in because she could relate. She had related. She couldn't quite explain why she felt the urge to smash windows, but it helped her feel better, so maybe this other girl would have words for it to make Olive understand. And Elodie had always seemed sort of interesting, so why not get to know her? They might have a lot in common.

These were big and confusing ideas, though, and Olive couldn't figure out how to voice them. She asked something practical instead.

"Have either of you seen a snowmobile anywhere?"
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

(...There's a snowmobile? There's a fucking snowmobile?

What the hell? Couldn't someone just... snowmobile out of there? Or something?

Then again if she wasn't bullshitting, with her luck, someone would've gotten to it already.)
Blood Tongue Nails Teeth
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

“A snowmobile?”

Elodie frowned, thought. What a weird request. It was strange enough, her actions. But Olive was kind of odd at home. Elodie thought of the reasons why someone would want a snowmobile.

“Hmm… haven’t seen anything of the sort, sorry,” she said, truthfully.

It was still so risky, letting Olive make decision even after the gunshots earlier. Like, what if this was some weird ploy? And a snowmobile? Maybe… she wanted to go somewhere quickly. It was maybe urgent, or maybe she wanted to move fast across the arena.

“Are you asking because you need to get somewhere in a hurry?”
Grand Moff Hissa

"No," Olive said. "It's..."

It was very simple, but she was suddenly self-conscious. Actually saying it might sound stupid. She didn't want Elodie and the girl in the house to laugh at her and send her away because they thought she didn't know what she was doing. She had to be cool about this.

Olive reached into the pocket of her snow pants and rooted around for a second. Her fingers found what she was looking for, and she pulled out the keychain, spinning it around her index finger, right above where the black glove stopped. The key didn't make that much noise, but there was enough metal-on-metal to get the point across, and it glittered in the sun.

"I've got this," Olive said, "so I think there's probably one somewhere."

It was totally possible she was wrong, but what else did she have to do? That was why she'd come to the town in the first place. The windows to smash were just a bonus.

"I never learned to drive," she explained. "I was always scared, but now..."

The keys went jingle jingle.

"Now I want to," she said.

Olive caught the keys on the next spin and put her hand back in her pocket. She laughed at herself a little.

"I'll tell you more inside," she said. "It's cold and, um, maybe we shouldn't be in the yard after those people made all that noise."

((Olive Mayo continued in Snowhere To Be Found))
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

She wasn't stupid. She wasn't fucking stupid, OK? She knew that it was dangerous being lured out of her turf into someone else's (probably) and she knew it was extra dangerous without and gun and she knew that this could be the setup for some ambush or something and she nodded and said yes because there really wasn't much to do. Or many options open to her. She didn't want to be a sitting duck alone waiting to be killed. She didn't want to be alone when she died. If she did. Scratch that. Nevermind.

Were these actually snowmobile keys?

She wanted to yell at the girl. Grab at her shirt and shout into her face until her spit falls into her eyes from between her lips, and shake her, asking her how dumb, how impulsive could she be? She wasn't even angry. She had no energy, and no shits left to give to this random girl anymore. She was just... something else. What was it?

Frustrated?

She was just frustrated that out of all the times, out of all the people, everything, yadda yadda, that this girl wanted to go on a snowmobile. Weren't there bigger things to worry about, like dying? Why did she care about this? This impulsivity and carelessness. She deserved it if the snowmobile turned over and she died. She didn't even know how to drive the thing.

"Right, you go in first, then."
Blood Tongue Nails Teeth
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

"... I see."

Elodie tilted her head to the side in thought. Then clapped her hands.

"Right! Let's go inside, then. We can sort this out a bit more. So we're not cold and there are no bullets."

This was again, risky. They didn't really know much about the person inside the house, for one. A girl? But maybe this was a risk worth taking.

Elodie turned towards the back door, but stopped after opening it.

They were following her, then?

Were they going to change their mind, or go through with it? How bad was the risk either way?

Would she find out?

((Elodie Hailey continued elsewhere))

Return to “Housing”