Zugzwang

Day 5, One-Shot

Located on the shore of the frozen lake between the forest itself, the campground was a popular summer getaway spot for residents of the town, frequently featuring BBQs and games of softball among other activities. The campground now is home to a few abandoned tents, an outhouse, and a single lonely log cabin with a small jetty. The time left abandoned has seen the log cabin, outhouse and jetty become covered in moss.
Fiori

Zugzwang

Post by Fiori »

Shawn stood alone at the end of the jetty, gazing into the horizon with his hands firmly in his pockets.

((Shawn Bellamy continued from Venom))

He wasn't sure how long he'd been standing there at that point, probably no longer than an hour at most. The morning announcement had long come and gone, with it some interesting developments.

The first of course being the untimely passing of a certain Abhishek Panichker, the news of which brought a smirk to Shawn's lips. It was about time someone finally shut him up. John died as well, but... Well, fuck him. Good fucking riddence to the both of them.

The other key development was the passing of two of his more proactive competitors: Janice and Alex. He remembered Janice being among the first killers announced, and Alex he recalled being a member of that gross SOTF fan club. Fat lot of good all those snuff videos did him in the end, huh?

Idiots. No wonder they died so early, after playing so sloppily. It didn't take a genius to figure out that those who hunted too eagerly were doomed to draw attention, put a huge target on their back and out their intentions to the rest of the island. He was certain that Katelyn's days were numbered, with half the island ready to shoot her on sight. Ironically, playing this game as intended was probably the worst thing you could do if you actually wanted to make it to the end.

Bethany didn't understand that. She had been so very eager to make a name for herself, believing she could really put a stop to players like Janice and Alex. And for a while he was more than happy to entertain her, let her be his weapon. In the end though, that didn't pan out like he had hoped, even going so far as putting himself at undue risk. All because he allowed himself to grow impatient, let his desire to return home as soon as possible push him further than need be.

He wasn't going to make that mistake again. Despite its name, you didn't win this game by being the fittest, or by having the biggest killcount. You won it by being the smartest. You won it by knowing when to make your move, and when to lay low and remain under the radar. Waiting for the right moment to strike, doing whatever it took to survive.

His bag felt heavier than usual as he hoisted it over his shoulder, probably on account of the extra rations and medicine he was now packing. Waste not, want not after all. He then lifted up Bethany's pickaxe - his pickaxe, more accurately - and began to make his way back along the jetty.

He almost felt sorry about what he had done. Bethany was his friend after all, despite their recent disagreements. But at the end of the day, only one of them was making it off that island

Shawn had already made peace with that fact since the moment they reunited.

He took a long lingering look at the cabin, wondering if he should say anything.

In the end, he turned and walked away without saying a word.

((Shawn Bellamy continued in Let's Roll Up Our Sleeves))
Coming soon to a V9 near you
Marcia "Marcy" Valerio: The Dancer
Koa Tagaloa: The Wrestler
Johnny Benowitz: The Jock
Florida Riley: The Saint

Xavier Martinez: The maybe pregame only character, but don't count on it
[+] V8
Cassie Chao: The Wallflower Thank you... For talking to me, when nobody else even knew I was there.
Shawn Bellamy: The Bastard "We're the only decent people left on this island, Matt. Way I see it, as long as one of us survives this... I'd say that's a win, wouldn't you?""
Lillian "Lily" Larsen: The Satanist "Don't think explanations will be necessary. Neither of us are exactly innocent anymore."
Mitch McDuffy: The Gamer Jobtown. Baby.
[+] V5
Brian Zhdanovich "Just... Just stay safe Ruby. Don't take any unnecessary risks, or accept candy from strangers. But most of all, don't you ever..."
Ruby Forrester "Do you seriously think you're the only person on this island whose had a shitty week?"
Jenna Rhodes"Of course, assuming that all goes as planned, we'd have to do something about the whole 24-hours-no-kill limit. Maybe draw straws, or take a vote, something along those lines... Either way, the longer we put this off, the more likely it is that we'll all get rescued and taken away from this hellhole."
[+] V4
Marty J. Lovett ""Well... Here we are buddy. To be totally honest with you, I didn't think either of us would make it this far. Who'd of thought, huh? I was SURE that I'd be dead within the first couple of days."
Joshua Krakowsk "...I'm tellin' you Marty, somewhere out there is a picture of Danya and George Bush on a boat with the biggest damn catfish you've EVER seen!"
Maxwell Lombardi "Now then, I'm afraid I must bid you all adieu. I look forward to meeting the rest of your children, siblings, lovers, friends and what not. And I'm sure they're looking forward to meeting me as well..."
Vera Osborne"Now then... Tell me why I shouldn't just snuff out your existence and get it all over and done with?"

Return to “The Campground”