V8 BKA/BDA Voting: October 2023

Each month, SOTF hosts various contests on the site, the most notable of which are the Best Kill and Best Death contests. Winners of said contests receive prizes that will be beneficial to either their character or themselves. Voting for these contests will take place here!
Kermit

V8 BKA/BDA Voting: October 2023

Post by Kermit »

And then a skeleton popped out,

Welcome to the Best Kill and Best Death Awards for October. Before we begin, the rules:

1. In this thread, you may post as an anonymous guest to select one student to receive the day's Best Kill Award, and one handler to receive the Best Death Award. Prizes will be given out in-character for BKA, consisting of a weapon and food, and out-of-character for BDA, consisting of a quote from their character to be displayed on the board index until the next BDA is awarded.
2. You may only vote while logged out. You can identify yourself in your vote if you want, but you may not claim to be another handler.
3. You may only vote once, and you may not vote for yourself in either category. Staff can see IP addresses, and we will check them if we have reason to suspect shenanigans.
4. You must provide reasoning with your vote for why you think your choices deserve the award. Votes with no reasoning will not be counted.
5. Don't be a jerk. You can explain why some scenes are your favorites without tearing others down.
6. Make sure that your answers are clear; please don't use any formatting that might cause votes to be miscounted or left out.
7. Please be sure to read every kill and death before voting, please vote for your genuine favorites rather than just voting for your friends, and please don't campaign for awards in the chat or otherwise try to influence the vote.

And your Best Kill and Best Death contestants:

BEST KILL AWARD:

Kai Rosado-Prince for killing Katelyn "Kitty" Graves
Matthew Bell for killing Letitia May
Aracelis Fuentes for killing Molly Oliveira

BEST DEATH AWARD:

AnimeNerd for the death of Jezzie Stark
VoltTurtle for the death of Katelyn "Kitty" Graves
Laurels for the death of Letitia May
ViolentMedic for the death of Molly Oliveira

Voting will run for five days. Votes will remain hidden until time is up, and the winners will be declared in the following announcement.

[+] v7
[+] Michael Froese
Michael Froese - The story of an identity; the story of a matador; the story of a liar; the story of a junkie; the story of a very special frog; the story of a jackal; the story of an oscillator; the story of a ghost; the story of the death of an author; the story of a bunch of other stuff.

THREADS!

PREGAME: Mad world - This...this felt nice. - Michael was incredibly disappointed in himself for actually agreeing to go do something with Beryl. - He wasn't actually all that sorry. - Part of him was worried his real motivation wasn't self-torturing altruism but instead the fact that it was one of the few things that still made him feel.

ISLAND:
Michael and all of his friends were going to be footnotes in a history textbook. - he was folding in on himself like a four-dimensional object in three-dimensional space - Everything was about pain, fear, and love. - "Gave them our reactions, our explosions, all that was ours; For graphs of passion, and charts of stars." - He had a duty to look into someone's eyes as he killed them. - Closure really did sound like nothing at all. - "I wish we were lovers, but it's for the best." - Michael Froese the award-winning murderer. That was who he was now. - "I wanted to lose myself." - "Good and bad, all roads lead to Rome and I just, it hurts too much to be a good person." - "Somewhere out there in the deep blue sea, there's this whale." - "...It's harder to be yourself than it is to be anybody else." - "The neighbors, they adored him for his humor and his conversation. Look underneath the house there, find the few living things, rotting fast in their sleep; oh, the dead," - He gave her a big hug. He buried his head in her shoulder, feeling her cold, spongy, rubbery skin against his forehead. She had no eyes. She had no face. Something had eaten her face. - Michael Froese was a crazy person with a gun. - Validation. - "You don't live in a goddamned movie." - "I miss what it's like to be, like, actually alone." - "Market data inconsistent. Cantor API problem. Trading system offline," - Michael didn't want this. It wasn't like that'd stop him. - "I'm wide awake, it's morning." - He was a spree killer now, he supposed. - When he gave his word, he was giving nothing. - The fact they even existed was being politicized. - "BERYL FUCKING MAHELONA. TELL ME WHAT YOU DID TO BERYL MAHELONA," - 'Am I gray?' - A beach covered in unidentified decedents. - He'd never felt anything unconditionally. - "Look around you, you're surrounded.
It won't get any better. And so, goodnight."
[+] Valerija Bogdanovic
The story of a (failed) revolutionary.

THREADS!

PREGAME: August 12th, 2017 - The explosive sound of metal hitting metal

ISLAND:
She turned away. Everything from here on out was for the terrorists to see. - "All of us, we have the chance to actually do something with our lives." - The students were the shark in the box. - Complacency was festering like a tumour. - "She's right. It won't - it won't change anything," - Scraped into the wall, in neatly-styled lettering, the words "If they won't live in peace, then they'll die for peace." - Val needed a gun, - "I do not care for violence without a point," she stated. "My gun is not loaded." - "Juliette, I'm sure you already know this, but you really should take pains to be careful around people who speak only in enthymemes." - "Someone once said, 'Change must come with the barrel of a gun', and they were not wrong." - Two explosions.
none of you can prove im in v8
[+] v9, AKA. Kermit rejects modernity, returns to writing mentally ill bisexuals.
[+] Sad Gay Hours with Kermit and Mara.
You've been living a while in the front of my skull making orders
You've been writing me rules, shrinking maps and redrawing borders
I've been repeating your speeches, but the audience just doesn't follow
Because I'm leaving out words, punctuation, and it sounds pretty hollow
I've been living in bed because now you tell me to sleep
I've been hiding my voice and my face, and you decide when I eat
In your dreams I'm a criminal, horrible, sleeping around
While you're awake, I'm impossible, constantly letting you down
Little porcelain figurines, glass bullets you shoot at the wall
Threats of castration for crimes you imagine when I miss your call
With the bite of the teeth of that ring on my finger, I'm bound to your bedside, your eulogy singer
I'd happily take all those bullets inside you and put them inside of myself
[+] The mallgoth who died offscreen in Supers
You can read me like a book
I'm not as clever as I look
I've got a sneaky kind of selfish
That I keep up on the shelf
With jars of double-sided comments
For people who've done nothing wrong
Preparing for the lights
And always practicing my sha-na-na's
I will stand right next to giants
And roar beside the lions
[+] Johnny R. Fightmaster
What road?
What road?
What road?
What road?
I'd been working on some open-ended shit
I was looking for an in and that was it
Back at the recital, signs remain vital
A statue is stone which rejects its own pulse
You heart's fair, your heart's square, your heart's not even there
Wasting shore leave on the girls from Point St. Claire
There is a light and it goes out, oh
A touch of classicism in the night
Your backlash was right where I wanted you
Yes, that's right, I wanted you, too
A touch of classicism in the night
Your backlash was right where I wanted you
Yes, that's right, I wanted you, too
[+] Pow Pow
From this position
I will relax
From this position
I can see the whole site

From this position
Oh, oh just relax
From this position
I took the staff test
I now have a purple name

And chat goes @Staff
@Staff, @Staff, @Staff, @Staff
It goes @Staff

From this position
I can see all the pings
From this position
I totally get how our decisions were reached

From this position
I can say "no pregame murders," or "Tracen Danya is canonically a catboy TikTokker," or "go bother Deamon instead,"
From this position, from this position
It's kind of like eating myself to death

With you on the outside
And me on the inside
There's advantages to both
(Advantages to both!)

And me being uptight
And you being all right
There's advantages to each
(Advantages! Advantages!)

From this perspective, from this position
I have a good grip on both of them
Because I have stayed home
And have learned a little more about my community
Which is important
You know, Main's got 1,269 characters to read

So chat goes @Staff, @Staff, @Staff, @Staff, @Staff
@Staff, @Staff, @Staff, @Staff, @Staff
So it's @Staff
It goes @Staff

With you in a sidechat
And me in the staffchat
(Advantages to both)

And now you have gone terminally inactive
And then you didn't send an appeal
And so I will have to take away your beloved character and then I will have to kill them
(And i'll feel really bad about doing it even though it's my job ;~;)

Now I have been Danya
And you are not Danya
(Advantages to each)
And we're coming back, coming back, coming back
Until there's no U.S. state left untouched on the map
We probably should have expected that people would mishandle colonialism in the Hawaii version

I'm paralyzed
And looking through you
But if nothing's right
Please don't yell at meeee

As a terrified autistic person
I'm amazed at my decision to play

On this occasion, there are a couple of things that we know that we pulled from Fact Magazine
One, character morality discourse is annoying and I don't care about it
Two, your time will come, but this is gonna be our version
So you should give us all of your roll nulls
Three, I wrote a goth and you did not, so shut up, because you don't know shit about goths that you didn't get from me

So times have been tough
And times have been tough
We have been staffkilled, unrolled, and rolled out
But honestly
And let's be honest with ourselves
How much time did we waste?
How much time did we all blow every day?

And so it's @Staff
Oh, @Staff

So @Staff
@Staff
(Please do not ping @Staff as a joke!)
(Staff will kill you in real life!)
(Yes I mean you!)

With you on the inside
And me on the outside
(Advantages to both!)

With my name in purple
And your name in blue
(Advantages! Advantages!)

From this position
I feel an affinity for the both of them, which is confusing
But honestly
I should be careful because otherwise, I'm being, I'm being, you know, what's it called?
Oh, fuck it
-Reclining, I'm getting used to it
Like writing a mentally ill bisexual
It's an entirely new
Discovery, discovery, discovery, discovery, discovery, discovery, discovery, discovery

And then a couple of versions on mini
And then a version on main
And then back over to mini and then to main, again
To use up my desire for
Discovery, discovery, discovery, discovery, discovery, discovery, discovery

For an instant
We could have been sold as a book
But the site's all been plagiarized
From Koushun Takami anyway
So what you want for now
Is for someone to read you
And to hear that the trends you like
Won't become overplayed

And I don't knoOOOOOOOw what I'm doing
I don't knooooowwww
I don't knooooowwww
I don't knooooowwww

(Staff will kill you in real life!)
I'm losing my edge.
chugga but SCARY

Post by chugga but SCARY »

votes!

bka: kai for killing kitty

I really struggled with deciding the vote for this because all the kill scenes were good IMO but felt it'd be more fun IC to reward someone for killing his best friend so

but also, I just think people being forced to put down their friends-turned-monsters are neat, and zee filled this role to the nines. i think the lead-up on his end was perfectly dragged out as he tries at every chance to give her a second chance, till they're all out of options and there's only one choice left to make. good stuff

bda: molly oliveira

always love some stomach-churning gore (shout out to aracelis for making good use of the nail bat) and also just, like, a really good emotional and physical conclusion to her story. someone without a prospect of anything good in her future, still dragging it out to the last. painfully well written
Halloworm

Post by Halloworm »

BKA: Kai Rosado-Prince for killing Katelyn "Kitty" Graves. I think Kai’s side of this is very good. I like the particular mix of feeling he had to keep Kitty from killing others, but also guilt because she didn’t react like some monster, along with the preexisting guilt in the relationship.

BDA: ViolentMedic for the death of Molly Oliveira. This death is fucking sick in multiple senses of the word. It’s gross but well executed in what it is without feeling gratuitous. The details of what the nails do are what really sell it for me, in particular the nail going through a finger and cheek at the same time and the eye looking through broken and bleeding fingers.
no sleep, only votes

Post by no sleep, only votes »

BKA: Matthew Bell for the murder of Letitia May

BDA: AnimeNerd for the death of Jezzie Stark

Gonna make this quick because I know I wouldn't get this in otherwise, though know I really liked all the choices available this round.

Good job Shawn. Great fighting. For real though, I liked the way this scene played out and how it all escalated. Shawn and Matthew are a great duo and I liked seeing it here. Yeah this is the BKA explanation but shout out to the death here, Letitia, because that death post was really good too.

With 47 posts and Jezzie dying at 13, I also liked how in that thread, Jezzie is referred to as "that girl" by the others in there. Jezzie wanting to be something more and then dying abruptly and anti-climatically is a great end to the character. Shout out to the last line because damn, I liked it a lot.
Kristen Applebees

Post by Kristen Applebees »

Best Kill Award: Aracelis killing Molly. It's a brutal, sudden kill, and there's so much emotion at play. Props to Medic and Deamon for making a gruesome nail bat death that's got a ton of tragedy behind it.

Best Death Award: AnimeNerd for Jezzie's death. "Maybe she wanted to make sure someone remembered her without hatred" is such a brutal line for a death game like SOTF, and I admire AN's playing with sympathy towards a killer and no sympathy. Great job!
StonerOfTheYear2015

Post by StonerOfTheYear2015 »

BKA

Going with Kai for Kitty here. I have some issue with the construction and pacing of this scene in particular, but I do think Kai remains a steadfast and strong stand-in even during confusing circumstances, ambiguous emotions and in exploring relationships that don't have easy answers. This thread is him finally bubbling in answers on that test and I think he rises to the occasion within it. I haven't always related to Kai and I think in particular the Kitty dynamic is one that I struggle to breach sometimes, but in this scene and in this moment, he is impossible to deny. I think the emotionality of his end of the scene is very strong and I think in terms of the killers this time around he was the one that was the shiniest in the spotlight. Giving him his just desserts.

BDA

Medic for Molly. Kai took the edge for me over Aracelis due to the general skill and grounded despair backslash took to the scene, but overall I felt like this kill and death was the strongest of the month for me. It is in a very clean, concise and succinct thread that doesn't allow boredom to fester or trips itself up in repetition or retreading. It is straight to the point and brutal, black and white in both its morality and its results. Vengeance doesn't pay and it doesn't vindicate, but it does satisfy. This was a good meal. Medic carries the thread with the death post and Molly's general franticness and I think it is wise in this final moment to go all-in on the begging and even the sort of dark-comedy beat of her hitting the tree at the beginning. Good job all around!
captcha is so tough

Post by captcha is so tough »

My vote for Best Kill Award is for Aracelis Fuentes for killing Molly Oliveira. This was a real treat to read, a gripping sequel to the thread which saw Lucio accidentally get killed earlier on. I love it when a storyline relates back to what has happened in the past and it all feels connected up. The kill itself felt very real and whilst on the barbaric side did feel justified considering everything that happened before. Aracelis is a character you just have to root for, even though you probably shouldn't, and Molly's handler wrote their side of this kill fantastically too. All in all a brutal, grotesque demise for a character that captured my heart throughout for being sweet and innocent. Re-reading this just before voting was somehow even more sickening than the first time. There's just something about the word squelch in reference to being bludgeoned that is incredibly disorientating. Gruesome and bloody - great kill!

Lots of competition for Best Death Award and some really big hitters that are tough to pick between! Before I vote, a special shoutout to Dogs321 for the death of Alexander Hawthorne. Didn't make it in time for the awards but I was fully enticed by his death threads and how they went on. A really unique way to go... so close yet so far!

My vote is for VoltTurtle for the death of Kitty Graves. This one really was a tug at the heart strings. It doesn't matter how much you try to hate Kitty you can't quite get away with it. There's always something that despite the barbarity and sometimes borderline ridiculousness of all that she's done (the grenade launcher helping a lot with the latter) you walk away from a Kitty post wanting to forgive her. Or maybe that's just me and I'm about to expose myself for being weird. Either way, her death was a beautiful celebration of everything I've always loved about her character and it felt incredibly raw. There was no other way really for it to go other than with Kai and the whole dynamic between that group was really interesting to follow and I look forward to what comes next for those characters involved in the death or the aftermath of the death. VoltTurtle should be super proud of their work throughout V8 on Kitty, the death a fitting final tribute culminating a rollercoaster of story arcs.
CouldBeAnyoneooo

Post by CouldBeAnyoneooo »

Voting for Aracelis killing Molly for both BDA and BKA

Solid scene all-around. Real visceral and gnarly, and a nice pay-off to Molly's plot, including a very poignant callback to her first thread.
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

Right up against it time-wise so I’ll be brief

Both awards for both sides of Aracelis Fuentes killing Molly Oliviera. That scene was a wonderful little slice of brutally realistic, meaty violence. Truly stomach-tightening, with the perfect balance of detail to imagination to sell you a scene of two near-exhausted animals struggling to the death. Bellissimo.
zetsucabra

Post by zetsucabra »

BKA and BDA: Kai Rosado-Prince and Kitty Graves
VoltTurtle wrote: It was over. Her coin had come up tails. The end approached. This was all she would ever be.
:sob: :sob: :sob:
backslash wrote:Kitty had never seemed confident that she had a future until right before Kai made the choice to take it from her.
:sob: :sob: :sob:

This scene has everything. It's ambitious, it's the culmination of an arc that's been ongoing since the start of the game, and it made me big sad. Kudos also to AnimeNerd for giving up the spotlight on Jezzie's death for this scene; it's a fitting end for her and a very well-done death in its own right, but it's also a really selfless rp move and I think that's worth celebrating.

Post by Guest »

BKA: Kai Rosado-Prince for killing Katelyn "Kitty" Graves
Kai has been one of my favourite characters, and in my opinion one of the emotional heavy hitters of the version- he’s a truly decent guy torn between loyalty and the greater good. With this kill he ultimately chooses the latter, sacrificing his own love for Kitty in the name of duty (“It didn't feel heroic. Didn't feel right. Just necessary.”). But even when he kills Kitty, he refuses to ever let that necessary duty become unnecessary cruelty (“it was what Ashlyn or Matthew would have done”) and that’s a really beautiful warmth and decency that’s very welcome in such a cynical setting. Basically, this kill made me cry.

BDA: Laurels for the death of Letitia May
This death does a great job at capturing the loss of someone’s life being cut so short; the final post builds up all of Letitia’s dreams and ambitions and then tears them all away in a single gunshot. (“There were no more ideas for dresses and jewelry… No more knots in her hair.”) Reducing all that potential to a brief, impersonal epitaph at the end is a really poignant note to end on and made this another thread that had a strong emotional impact on me.

Return to “Contest Voting”