It's Kind of A Lot

Open, but non-members of the Legion should probably ask permission before posting (Day 2, Noon)

The church sits atop a small hill in the town and gives a good view over the handful of streets that make up the place. The church itself is a classical wooden construction with a high steeple and ladder up to its bell, although the whole structure has shifted and leans to its right as a result of the ground beneath it shifting. The inside of the church has a carpeted aisle that runs between the rows of pews. At the front of the church is a pulpit and altar that have been arranged as if a service was intended before being abandoned. Behind this scene is the door to the sacristy, which contains some moth-eaten vestments, a wash basin, two wardrobes—one of which has been pushed onto its side, revealing a trapdoor—and a worktop with candlestick holders and incense burners along with some other Catholic paraphernalia.
TheLordOfAwesome

It's Kind of A Lot

Post by TheLordOfAwesome »

((Dani Bird continued from Legion of Doom, Assemble!))

The second day had arrived and… Nope. This situation was still shit, but now it was shit with a body count being announced over speakers. She had listened intently as the names were prattled off, but she could hardly evoke any sort of emotional reaction to any of them. Not because she didn’t know any of them, but because she was already far too tired to be actively upset. Sure, she felt sad that some people from school that she probably talked to on occasion died, but she wasn’t going to cry over them. Steve had been a surprise though. She dated “EXTREME” Steve back in her sophomore year. Kind of a cute guy, pretty nice, but she eventually got over it and moved on to greener pastures.

It was a shame though, he was a pretty good looking guy. Maybe had she ran into him she would have considered sleeping with him. Even if it was more of a manipulation tactic.

But hypothetical scenarios were pointless to go over in a situation like this.

Time passed, Juanita and Ash had left while the rest of the team (was that what they were?) opted to stay behind. Which is all well and good since they had spent time fortifying this place by moving everything that wasn’t nailed down to barricade things. The entrance to the cellar had been blocked off, though Dani had neglected to inform them that the cellar had an additional entrance outside the church. It was probably fine. Well, as fine as desecrating a House of God could be anyway. But if he had any problem with it, he was being rather quiet.

She sat down on a pew, looking over the contents of her bag. Over all, being down a few food items so she didn’t die and a handful of medical supplies from that incel asshole yesterday, she was looking pretty good. Friendship bracelets still sucked. She did, however, make a mental note to give Kaede one of those bracelets later.
Grand Moff Hissa

Post by Grand Moff Hissa »

A team. Was that what they were?

Crystal wasn't quite sure.

((Crystal Henderson continued from The Other Judas))

At the very least, they weren't active enemies. The others' meeting with Crystal had been more decisive than what she'd first found on that windy mountain pass, and so she found herself committed to stay. For now. They weren't active enemies, but the others couldn't afford to be Crystal's enemy. They had a radar, a big knife, pepper spray, condoms, and friendship. Crystal had a semi-automatic rifle. So she found herself with a well-defined role in the plan.

Too bad the plan wasn't really happening just now. Crystal found herself with a well-defined role in the social dynamic as well, but it was less to her taste: third (fifth? sixth?) wheel. Should've gone hunting, but it was cold and she'd walked so much yesterday. Instead she sat here and ate someone else's food. She sorta wished she wasn't stuck with Dani, though. Dani was a skank, and Crystal felt like even more of a loser around her in spite or because of that. But she'd walked so much yesterday. But Juanita's leg was messed up and she was out hunting regardless.

Crystal chewed the same mouthful of ration bar again and again. It was a pulpy paste in her rolling over her tongue, thoroughly masticated, but the more she chewed, the more she felt like she'd eaten. It was a trick she'd learned. Be slow and deliberate, and small actions carried you farther. You could count the food by the movement of your mouth instead of the calories, and you enjoyed it more too. You only swallowed when you stopped enjoying it.

When would the time come to swallow the others? For now they could be the different tools of Danya's Swiss Army knife, but sooner or later blades would end up in backs.

When the time came, Crystal had every intention to be wielded, not wounded.
I bid you all dark greetings!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

[Jack Anderson continued from Legion of Doom, Assemble!]

Jack filtered back in (or perhaps he just staggered back in) to the church and flopped on one of the pews. He was down a bit of food for the time spent in the game thus far, but that was about it - he wasn't injured, he wasn't dead, and he wasn't alone.

Well, at least for now he wasn't. Where he'd be in a day or more, who knew? He just decided to hope that his luck would hold out, that he wouldn't end up dead, and that...I dunno, the government would come sweeping in and save them all?

What was that bit about the scariest words in the English language being "I'm from the government and I'm here to help"?

"Mind if I take a nap?" he asked, a bit of tiredness seeping into his voice...the last night had not been particularly restful, leaving him something of a zombie. He hadn't even really "processed" the morning announcement...most of the names he recognized, at least in passing, but somehow it was all just...unreal. Like he was going to wake up and it was all going to have been a bad dream.
TheLordOfAwesome

While focused on her pack, she hardly noticed her pew being approached until the one guy of the group — Jack, she reminded herself — sat down next to her drawing her attention. She wasn’t startled at least, feeling that she had gotten used to the presence of the others in the church. If anything, she welcomed the interaction.

“Uh, yeah, sure.” She replied, putting her bag down on the floor. “Can’t promise they’ll be comfortable. Tried sleeping on them yesterday and it did not do favors to my back.”

She smiled at him, trying her best to be friendly. He seemed nice enough. At least he didn’t seem the type to take her hostage and drag her across the island. Of course, he didn’t have a gun to do that. That honor would go to the newer addition to the group — Crystal — who joined late yesterday. She had a big gun, and Dani was feeling more than a little envious. Everyone else here got good stuff while she got bracelets. She didn’t want to be whiny, even in her own head, but it still sucked! At least Kaede was in the same boat getting condoms of all things, and it was not like she was going to use them.

“We could… talk instead,” She suggested, shrugging her shoulders. “If we’re, uh, going to work together it might be nice to know each other a little more.”

How long had it been since she had a real normal conversation? Felt like ages. Ash and that other girl — Jaunita — had already left. Kaede she could always talk to, and Crystal… Dani was pretty sure Crystal didn’t like her for whatever reason.
decoy73

Post by decoy73 »

((Kaede Tsurumi continued from Legion of Doom, Assemble!))

People were actually dying. No, that was inaccurate. People were actually killing. Ash and Juanita had left to find more people, leaving Kaede with Jack, Crystal (who had just joined with a gun), and Dani. They could(?) defend themselves, but they were still cold and quite scared. Dani wanted to ... talk. Kaede just hugged her knees to her chest.

"That sounds, that sounds okay. What about?" Kaede knew Dani, and Jack and Crystal were there.
Survivor: UCONN - Seriously, it's awesome!

Version 8
S001: KAEDE TSURUMI: "Eeep! I-I'm so sorry! I-I'll try not to get in your w-way next time!" Status: ACTIVE
S024: VICTOR GRAIL: "I didn't give you the lead so that you could lose it! I guess it's up to me to carry us after all." Status: ACTIVE
S103: JOAN LEAVEN Status: ACTIVE
S129: DAVID WORTH: Status: ACTIVE
[+] Version 7
Male Student #65: Manuel Figueroa; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Female Student #63: Christina "Renz" Rennes; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Female Student #70: Jessica Rennes; Status: ACTIVE (Adopted by Brackie)
Female Student #79: Stephanie McDonald; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Grand Moff Hissa

"We can talk," Crystal said, "sure."

She swallowed the ration bar pulp and didn't choke, even though it was more than she'd expected. She was sitting farthest from the other three. Physical distance mirroring emotional distance. Or something. Buying herself time in case someone started feeling ambitious. Making it harder to see what Dani and Jack were getting up to. Something like that.

God, was she trying to get his head in her lap? Or was that his angle?

Whatever. It wasn't Crystal's problem. Her problem was figuring out what to talk about, apparently. Right now, thanks to Kaede's presence, Crystal was the fourth wheel, and that was the one that meant you were driving a car instead of a tricycle. This didn't have to be a circus... but clowns did drive cars too.

"How about," Crystal said, "uh,"

She didn't have a lot in common with these people, apart from their all having accepted their roles in the grand scheme of things. She could pretend to care about what they cared about, but she'd be pretending if she acted like she even knew what their interests were. Well, she could maybe ask Dani what it was like to know half the boys in class on a more intimate level, or what she was thinking dressing like that for a ski trip, but that wouldn't be constructive.

You know what? They could share Crystal's interests, or they could come up with their own topics.

"You ever have your palm read?" Crystal asked. "I could, you know, if you wanted."

Just, you know, without letting go of the gun.

"I thought I was really bad at it for a long time because it seemed like everyone in our class had really short life lines but, well, I'm kind of rethinking now," she said, and smiled at them.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

Jack laid back on the pew. It was, as promised, not terribly comfortable. It was, however, something to lay back on...so he was going to take the win.

“We could… talk instead,”

Talking was good. Talking would be good. They didn't really know one another, so...well, building trust wouldn't be a bad idea.

“If we’re, uh, going to work together it might be nice to know each other a little more.”

Jack nodded a bit as he laid there, looking "up" at Dani.

"Sure."

And then Crystal offers a palm reading...and Jack looks up. The bit about short life lines gets a snort given...well, you know... "Sure, why not?" He sits back up and holds a hand out.

He turned back to Dani. "So, what do you want to talk about? Hobbies?"
TheLordOfAwesome

Okay, so everyone was up for talking. That was good. Dani smiled to herself, steadily feeling more at ease as she found herself in her element. She leaned back into her spot on the pew, legs crossing and resting her arms on the back of the pew. It was a moment that she felt she could close her eyes and pretend that everything was normal. It wasn’t, of course, but it was a welcome distraction.

Crystal was talking about palm reading and offered to do them. Dani suppressed a scoff, simply nodding her head slowly as she spoke. She wasn’t sure why things like palm reading or tarot reading was so popular in Salem. She supposed people were really down for that whole “City of Witches” thing that Salem embraced so much. She guessed it didn’t have much else going for it otherwise. She never believed in the “power” of tarot cards or palm readings, with her one experience being a major let down.

“I’m good on the palm readings, Thanks.” She said, shrugging. “Not exactly my kind of thing. Singing is more my sort of thing. Though I doubt you guys want to hear me sing opera right now. Cosplay is also something I am into! I got a lot of those!”

Instinctively she began to reach towards her pocket, but stopped merely centimeters from it. After a moment, she sighed and retracted her hand.

“Right, forgot they took my damn phone,” she grumbled in annoyance. “I wanted to show you guys some of my work, but fuck that idea, I guess.”

She paused, thinking. She looked between Crystal and Jack, asking, “Have either of you seen my work? Kaede definitely has.” She looked at Jack, smiling at him and giving him a wink. “Bet you’d really like my work.”
decoy73

Post by decoy73 »

Kaede ... Kaede actually wanted to chuckle at that. First at the fact that Dani had gone for her phone. It was one of the things that she had loved doing - making Instagram photos. But, there was something else about it.

"I have. I'm intimately familiar with your work." Kaede shook her head before pausing and looking up. "I mean, I've done cosplay with her." She didn't want to make herself look like an idiot, or a camwhore, or anything like that. "It's quite interesting. Uncomfortable sometimes, but interesting." She actually smiled a little at that. Well, her lips quirked slightly, but posing in weird clothing was actually somewhat of a good memory.

Version 8
S001: KAEDE TSURUMI: "Eeep! I-I'm so sorry! I-I'll try not to get in your w-way next time!" Status: ACTIVE
S024: VICTOR GRAIL: "I didn't give you the lead so that you could lose it! I guess it's up to me to carry us after all." Status: ACTIVE
[+] Version 7
Female Student #63: Christina "Renz" Rennes; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Grand Moff Hissa

"No," Crystal said, "I, uh, I don't think I've seen your work. Sorry."

Cool, so Kaede was actually already friends with Dani and there was a non-zero chance based on phrasing that they were banging. And based on Dani's phrasing, she was maybe looking to be spreading that love to Jack too. Crystal was right back where she'd started, as the odd one out. But it was worse now, because the only one who wanted anything to do with what she was offering was Jack and he, like, wasn't interested enough to get up, so she'd have to go to him instead and sit there being the extra wheel at even closer proximity while he squirmed straight into Dani's lap. With how things were going, everyone else would crawl into whatever passed for a bedroom and leave Crystal on watch, sitting outside with her gun and trying not to listen.

How would Crystal know Dani's work anyways? Did Crystal look like the demographic for thirst traps?

It would be so much easier to be solo right now. If Crystal had to be a circus vehicle, she'd choose the unicycle any day. That way, her success or failure was her own responsibility.

It occurred to her that this complicated situation could be resolved instantly if someone just started shooting. It wouldn't even be her fault. It was Danya's responsibility. He made the rules.

Crystal picked up the gun.

She took a breath.

She trotted over to the pew where Jack and Dani were, and she crouched down in front of Jack. She sort of regretted the offer, but whatever. Whatever. It was something to kill the time. To make her feel like less of an outsider. It wasn't going to work but whatever.

"Is this, uh, the hand you write with?" she asked, reaching out and touching him with her left hand because her right was holding the gun. "I can do either, but what we're learning depends on which hand it is."

It occurred to her that nobody else here knew a thing about palm reading. She could say whatever she wanted, and they'd have to assume she was telling the truth, just like they seemed to have assumed her comment about the life lines was sincere. Or maybe Crystal just didn't know how to be funny.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

[1]“Bet you’d really like my work.”[/i]

Jack grinned back at Dani. "I bet I would. Sorry you don't have your phone." Beat. "Who...or what...do you cosplay?"

And then Crystal arrived by him in his pew. He smiled as she touched gently.

"Is this, uh, the hand you write with? I can do either, but what we're learning depends on which hand it is."

Jack extended his right hand, turning it palm up to let her...do her thing. "Yeah, I'm right-handed. So, what do you have to tell me?" he asked with a gentle smile.
TheLordOfAwesome

Dani smiled proudly, feeling pretty good that Jack seemed to take interest in what she did for her hobby. No doubt Kaede’s own interjection helped. She had to remember to talk with Kaede one-on-one and strategize when the two talked with others.

“Typically?” She began, tilting her head to feign thinking. “Some anime characters, video game characters, occasionally comic characters. Last one I did was back in November I believe. I did Ann from Persona 5 as I recall. Before that I was Momo from My Hero Academia for Halloween.”

She smiled at him, and gave a glance to Kaede.

“And it is always fun when Kaede joins in,” She said. “When she does I usually try to make sure we do cosplays from the same series. But I’m sure you aren’t interested in all that.”

Dani chuckled, trying to sound self-deprecating. “I’m sure you’d rather do this whole palm reading thing than learn how good we look in cosplay outfits.”
decoy73

Post by decoy73 »

Kaede chuckled at Dani's words. Yes, they did have some fun then. She just approached Crystal and Jack, looking on with interest at what Crystal was about to do.

Version 8
[+] Version 7
Grand Moff Hissa

Crystal stewed. Of course Dani would do that. Of course she would interject with that casual little put-down. Of course she would put herself center-stage, using the only asset she had in order to compete. Of course she saw this as a time to compete, because god forbid Crystal have one single solitary moment in which she was anything but an awkward hanger-on.

But she made herself be calmer. Calmer than she felt, at least. Made herself remember what she was doing. Made herself aware of the gun. Made herself aware of Kaede, getting closer. The gun was why Crystal held what power she did. Neither would be snatched away from her.

"Okay," she said gently, as she made her hand relax and stop squeezing Jack's. "Let's see here..."

She shot Dani a look and added, "Don't worry, there'll be plenty of talk about outfits later. Maybe you can make something out of the curtains."

Back to Jack.

"Okay," Crystal continued, tracing her index finger along one of the lines of his palm. Her other hand held the gun. "This is your love line. It tells you about your romantic prospects."

The corners of her lips turned up, as she looked around to make sure Kaede and Dani were at least loosely paying attention.

"It says you'll have a lot of potential opportunities but, hmm..."

She furrowed her brows.

"This little bit here, where it bends a little, this means you should be careful about that.

"It, uh, it means you'll attract the attention of a lot of women of easy virtue..."

((Crystal Henderson continued in Finally, I am alone with my crimes, unrepentant.))
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
TheLordOfAwesome

((OOC: Skipping turn order due to inactivity warning.))

Dani’s smile flattened into a line, her eyes narrowing into a glare at Crystal. “Women of easy virtue” was what the other girl had said. Dani knew that some people would see that she is pretty and popular and assume she was some airheaded bimbo, but the truth was she was actually pretty intelligent. Were she not the brightest, that obvious dig probably would have flown over her head. But it didn’t. And she stewed in her boiling anger as she glared daggers at Crystal in silent contempt.

If they weren’t on this island and were back home, Dani might have let her hear it. In her mind Dani thought that, hell, she had enough social clout and money that she could have made Crystal’s life hell until she was satisfied.

The only thing really stopping her was that Crystal had a gun. Dani was furious, but not enough to lose all sense to pick a fight with someone with a gun.

Bitterly she lamented not getting Joey Gun Guy’s gun when she had the chance. Even the playing field.

She was pissed. The more she thought about Crystal’s insult, the more angry she got. The more angry she got, the more violent her thoughts became. An angry feedback loop, not helped by the bitch’s continual presence next to her.

She inhaled sharply, turned away from the group and quickly sat up. Her posture was stiff, her hands clenched into fists.

“I think I’m going to step outside for a bit.” She said through somewhat gritted teeth and venom lacing her words. “For some air.”

She began to move, hurried and heavy steps echoed through the church as her feet collided with the wooden floor of the abandoned structure.

“‘Women of easy virtue’...” Dani uttered under her breath as she reached the door and threw it open. “Kiss my 4.0 GPA ass, bitch...”

((Dani Bird continued A Hot Spring in the Old Town Tonight...))

Return to “The Church”