We're Going on a Bear Hunt

Day 9, Early Evening - Open once Matt enters

Located on the second floor of The Quarters building, the sleeping quarters themselves were periodically updated throughout the operating life of the station. Initially simple rooms with a bed, desk, and end-table, the contents were improved upon over the years, though most personal touches have been removed. Each of the rooms comes off the main corridor that runs down the center of the floor and are roughly five square meters in size. The rooms all contain a single bed frame topped with a moldy mattress, a thin wooden desk with a basic plastic seated chair, and a full-length mirror hanging off the wall. The floor and the rooms themselves are all covered in a layer of dust and debris from the years of abandonment and there is a noticeable draft of cold air that flows through the floor whenever it is windy.
Fiori

We're Going on a Bear Hunt

Post by Fiori »

Nostalgia's a funny old thing.

((Shawn Bellamy continued from It's a Wild, Wild World Out Here))

Shawn didn't think he'd feel much sentimentality towards the research station. Quite the opposite, given how traumatic his first few hours on that island proved to be. First his encounter with Spike, then whatever the fuck was going on with that girl in the bedroom, before scrambling away from a mexican-standoff gone wrong. Sure, he had a tendency to slightly embellish the details, but he wasn't lying when he said that the experience left him shaken. It was his first real taste of what the island had to offer.

Still, despite the growing sense of dread for what lurked behind those doors, there was something oddly comforting about revisiting the quarters. Maybe it was because any sense of familiarity was welcomed at this point, a reminder of back when the status quo wasn't quite so bleak.

Oh, who was he kidding. Things were always bleak, even before the game started. Not that it mattered anymore, it wasn't like he was going to be able to return to his old life after all this. He had a couple thoughts on what he'd do with himself once he won this thing... But, no point in getting too ahead of himself. There were still forty-nine competitors standing between him and freedom.

Well, make that forty-eight.

As Matt had the only loaded gun between them, he let his friend lead the way as they entered the imposing green structure, the sky having gone dark by the time they finally arrived. He was hoping that Kitty had already been and gone, despite their intentions he had little desire to actually find her. Nor did he want to explore too much of this building, knowing that stepping through the wrong door was a literal death sentence. Just as well then that he had a loyal canary on point.

Fortunately, he remembered enough about the building's layout to steer clear its forbidden section, gulping nervously as he pointed out which door was the one to avoid. It was terrifying to think that stepping through that doorway was an instant death sentence, like an invisible barrier that'd doom anyone that crossed its threshold. A part of him wondered why they would block off a single section rather than the entire building, whether that was down to some technical limitation or an artistic choice.

Still, with as much of the ground floor explored as they were willing to risk, the next step was naturally the upper floor. Fortunately this level was in the clear, so they didn't have to worry as much about avoiding dangerzones. Ambushers lying in wait, on the other hand, were a different question.

"Right behind you..." he whispers to Matt, watching the rear as they slowly make their way upstairs.
Coming soon to a V9 near you
Marcia "Marcy" Valerio: The Dancer
Koa Tagaloa: The Wrestler
Johnny Benowitz: The Jock
Florida Riley: The Saint

Xavier Martinez: The maybe pregame only character, but don't count on it
[+] V8
Cassie Chao: The Wallflower Thank you... For talking to me, when nobody else even knew I was there.
Shawn Bellamy: The Bastard "We're the only decent people left on this island, Matt. Way I see it, as long as one of us survives this... I'd say that's a win, wouldn't you?""
Lillian "Lily" Larsen: The Satanist "Don't think explanations will be necessary. Neither of us are exactly innocent anymore."
Mitch McDuffy: The Gamer Jobtown. Baby.
[+] V5
Brian Zhdanovich "Just... Just stay safe Ruby. Don't take any unnecessary risks, or accept candy from strangers. But most of all, don't you ever..."
Ruby Forrester "Do you seriously think you're the only person on this island whose had a shitty week?"
Jenna Rhodes"Of course, assuming that all goes as planned, we'd have to do something about the whole 24-hours-no-kill limit. Maybe draw straws, or take a vote, something along those lines... Either way, the longer we put this off, the more likely it is that we'll all get rescued and taken away from this hellhole."
[+] V4
Marty J. Lovett ""Well... Here we are buddy. To be totally honest with you, I didn't think either of us would make it this far. Who'd of thought, huh? I was SURE that I'd be dead within the first couple of days."
Joshua Krakowsk "...I'm tellin' you Marty, somewhere out there is a picture of Danya and George Bush on a boat with the biggest damn catfish you've EVER seen!"
Maxwell Lombardi "Now then, I'm afraid I must bid you all adieu. I look forward to meeting the rest of your children, siblings, lovers, friends and what not. And I'm sure they're looking forward to meeting me as well..."
Vera Osborne"Now then... Tell me why I shouldn't just snuff out your existence and get it all over and done with?"
Applesintime

Post by Applesintime »

((Matthew Bell continued from It's a Wild, Wild World Out Here))

They were finally here, after a few unexpected detours. Katelyn had probably been and gone at this point, so any hope of catching her unaware was nothing but cope. On the other hand, this was one of the two big points of the island, and he'd probably spent too much time around the little town area. Maybe all the killers had migrated here and he'd find a few people to put some bullets in. Or hell, it was kinda late. Maybe Katelyn'd settled down for the night and Matthew could wake her with a bullet to the skull.

It was just pure hope, but that was something that you sorely needed on this damn island.

Shawn had been here before, in more detail than he had, so Matthew let his friend guide him as he took point, gun in his hand in case someone decided they looked like prime targets for murdering. Shawn did have an assault rifle though, unloaded but still a formidable weapon for someone who didn't know that, and he was clearly holding that pistol, so they'd hopefully look for better targets. And if not, hey, they could take another pawn off the board. But another person would just leap up to take their place, and Matthew would be back where he fucking started.

Nodding at Shawn, Matthew slowly ascended towards the sleeping part of the base, gun raised as he let Shawn's flashlight illuminate the hallway. Nothing but cold, kicked-up particles of dust floating in the air and the smell of death. Given how many people had died here, he was starting to grow accustomed to the latter smell. He didn't like that.

"Hallway's clear." He whispered back, watching for any sign of movement like a hawk watching for movement so it could have its dinner. "Uh, how do you wanna go about this? Start opening doors and seeing if anyone's behind them, or do we just look for some place to settle down for the night?" In these close quarters, he'd have an advantage with the pistol over longer weapons, but in the same token you didn't have much cover or room to manoeuvre or dash for cover. A gunfight here would be quick and deadly. But they needed another gun.
[+] V8
S002: Alex Avanesian - Throwing Spear - is the one who thought he could win. He was proven wrong in I'm the Psycho, You're the Freakshow [93/134]
Main: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Pregame: 1 2 3
Social Media: 1 2 3 4
Homecoming: 1

S056: Madeleine Molliqaj - Macuahuitl - was hunting a beast. She slew it in Carve What You Feel Into Me [59/134]
Main: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Pregame: 1

S078: Matthew Bell - Grand Power K100 - hurts all over in "Man, this SOTF thing sucks."
Main: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pregame: 1 2 3 4
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

The stench struck Shawn like a mallet to the face, causing him to recoil in horror as they neared the top of the stairs.

He stopped and let Matt check the hall as he unzipped his bag, rummaging through his personal belongings for something he never thought he'd actually make use of: A packet of disposable face coverings, packed for the trip but thus far left unopened. He never cared much for wearing them, after all neither he nor his parents were particularly vulnerable. Wasn't his fuckin' problem if other people couldn't handle a bad cough. But there were still places out there that made a fuss if you didn't have one on hand, so he had a couple packed just in case.

For what it was worth, the facemask provided some small relief from the smell, though it was far from enough to disguise it entirely. No doubt about it, this place had seen its fair share of death since he was last there. Understandable, if this was where the station's former occupants used to rest. He imagined beds were in small supply on an island like this, and competition for them would be fierce.

"Think it'd be best if we made sure we're alone up here" he replied, passing a spare facemask to Matt as he hoisted his rifle up, signalling for Matt to check the doors to their left as he started going through the doors to their right. One by one he checked each of those rooms, prodding doors open with the barrel of his gun. Sometimes he'd be welcomed with an empty bed, other times a less inviting sight, such as a severed finger or a splash of blood.

He stopped outside one door in particular, taking a moment to let it all sink in. It was just over a week ago that he was standing in this very spot, along with a handful of his fellow competitors. Wendy, Pink Hair... Andrew... And, of course, the girl under the bed. The one who seemed indecisive about whether they were dead or not. A part of him wondered if she was still inside, never leaving that spot before finally passing away.

With a nervous gulp, he lifted the rifle and pushed the door open slowly...

In hindsight, he wasn't sure what else he was expecting to find.

A look of disgust in his eyes, he made sure the door was shut tight before continuing down the hall.

[+] V8
Cassie Chao: The Wallflower Thank you... For talking to me, when nobody else even knew I was there.
Shawn Bellamy: The Bastard "We're the only decent people left on this island, Matt. Way I see it, as long as one of us survives this... I'd say that's a win, wouldn't you?""
Lillian "Lily" Larsen: The Satanist "Don't think explanations will be necessary. Neither of us are exactly innocent anymore."
[+] V5
Brian Zhdanovich "Just... Just stay safe Ruby. Don't take any unnecessary risks, or accept candy from strangers. But most of all, don't you ever..."
Ruby Forrester "Do you seriously think you're the only person on this island whose had a shitty week?"
Jenna Rhodes"Of course, assuming that all goes as planned, we'd have to do something about the whole 24-hours-no-kill limit. Maybe draw straws, or take a vote, something along those lines... Either way, the longer we put this off, the more likely it is that we'll all get rescued and taken away from this hellhole."
[+] V4
Marty J. Lovett ""Well... Here we are buddy. To be totally honest with you, I didn't think either of us would make it this far. Who'd of thought, huh? I was SURE that I'd be dead within the first couple of days."
Joshua Krakowsk "...I'm tellin' you Marty, somewhere out there is a picture of Danya and George Bush on a boat with the biggest damn catfish you've EVER seen!"
Maxwell Lombardi "Now then, I'm afraid I must bid you all adieu. I look forward to meeting the rest of your children, siblings, lovers, friends and what not. And I'm sure they're looking forward to meeting me as well..."
Vera Osborne"Now then... Tell me why I shouldn't just snuff out your existence and get it all over and done with?"
Applesintime

Post by Applesintime »

Matthew took the facemask with a grunt of thanks, tugging it onto his face before continuing down the left side of their hall. It was weird wearing one of these again. The last time he'd done this, it'd been... what, nearly six months ago? Boston still hadn't lifted theirs yet, which sucked whenever he had to go into the city. His mom always took it in stride, given how it was a lot more of a cultural thing back in Japan, but he'd never really gotten used to it. Felt weird, not being able to really see someone else's face apart from their eyes, and he didn't like how it restricted breathing. But hey, Matthew wasn't one of those guys who bitched and whined about it.

It didn't really do shit against the smell of death, but it was probably better than nothing.

Following Shawn's lead, Matthew started clearing the rooms on his side, gently pushing them open with the pistol's barrel and then doing a sweep of the small room. There wasn't much to say about them, really. DIme a dozen, the same mouldy beds and rotted wood furniture. Sometimes you'd find one with disturbed bedsheets, the furniture moved around a little, and you could tell that someone'd been sleeping in there. The beds were always cold, though, so he couldn't help but wonder. Was the last person who slept in that bed still alive, or were they rotting somewhere on this island, shot or stabbed or beaten by one of the many murderers roaming around this island? Were they one of the murderers roaming around this island?

Fuck.

"Shawn, anything on your end?" Wanting to distract himself, Matthew took a brief break, glancing back down the corridor while he tugged at his mask a little, trying to make it fit better. There was still the scent of death floating in the air, and it was almost making him uneasy. Maybe it was wafting up from the room below, the one Katelyn had been in. Hell, maybe it was the scent of death itself following that murderous little bitch like a bad omen. It'd lurk here for a while, then float after her, eagerly awaiting the next time she and Kai murdered someone. She was playing for keeps at this point, it was clear, but he still couldn't figure how Kai played into that. Given Ash, she wasn't against murdering loved ones, so why was he still around? Were they even working together?

Hm.

Eh, fuck it. He tore the mask off and tossed it on the floor. It wasn't doing much, anyway.
[+] V8
S002: Alex Avanesian - Throwing Spear - is the one who thought he could win. He was proven wrong in I'm the Psycho, You're the Freakshow [93/134]

S056: Madeleine Molliqaj - Macuahuitl - was hunting a beast. She slew it in Carve What You Feel Into Me [59/134]

S078: Matthew Bell - Grand Power K100 - hurts all over in "Man, this SOTF thing sucks."
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

"Couple bodies, but someone's already looted 'em..." Shawn replied, clearing his throat as he crept along the hallway, checking each room one at a time.

He couldn't help but ponder what fate befell the others he bumped into that morning, after all the time that passed since the game began. Andrew was gone, along with Spike and the girl lying dead a few doors down the hall. He still had no idea what Pink guy's name was, so for all he knew he could've died days ago. Hell he could've even been that Joshua fella who kept getting mentioned in the announcements.

As for Wendy... Honestly, Shawn was surprised that she'd made it this far. The girl didn't strike him as the type cut out for a game like this, blubbering away like a baby with nothing but a stupid looking shield to defend herself with. Either Wendy was extremely lucky, or he had underestimated just how much of a survivor she was when the chips were down.

"Apart from that, not much to write home abou-uooOHOOOLY SHh-!" he gasps as he peeked through the next doorway, stumbling back before averting his gaze.

Another body. Only, this one was different from the others. Long platinum hair, with a red stained dome. It... It couldn't be who he thought it was, right? No way was it...

Taking a deep breath, he turned back and took another hesitant peek. It wasn't her. Hell, upon closer inspection it wasn't even a she.

"I-I'm good!" he gasps, with an embarrassed cough. "I'm good, just another body is all. Think it's..." he added, pausing as he shone his light at the body's face, his brows rising in surprise. "Oh shit, it's Shu... W-wait, hold up, was Shu mentioned this morning?"

Not waiting for an answer, he continued examining the body, the blood soaked sheets looking a particularly vibrant shade of red compared to the others. "Ff-fuck me, I think this is a fresh one..." he gasps, his face pale as his light shone elsewhere, following along the boy's body before illuminating his...

Shawn's eyes widened. Was that a...?

"Yooo... YO, MATT! You gotta check this shit out!"

[+] V8
[+] V5
[+] V4
Jazzfat

Post by Jazzfat »

(Coming in from a very Nope situation..))

John was coming from nearby. Just..walkin' around. They started to feel bad about not really talking with their partner in crime. Not really, more survival.

Anyways..

There seems to be people nearby, and John gets a bit...well. They hang back. And wait for their friend to come by before moving on, trying not to be seen or go into the room.
Gundham

Post by Gundham »

((Juanita Reid continued from The Suffering, The Sorrow, The Glory, The Shame))

In one of the precious few rooms left unopened during the search, Juanita Reid clutched her shotgun to her chest, doing her best to breathe calmly.

She'd spent most of the day in the basement, changing bandages where necessary and treating herself to a decent meal before taking a lengthy nap behind a bunch of boxes. They were getting into the home stretch, and she had enough resources by now that she'd be better off not skimping on her essential needs. Well-fed, early to bed, you'll never be dead, or something like that. When she'd finally exited the basement and taken a look outside, it'd been apparent that most of the day was already gone. She was better off spending the night here, rather than venturing out into the woods on her snowmobile.

She'd decided to head upstairs. Whoever killed Dani hadn't looted the basement, so it stood to reason there might be resources to scavenge from the sleeping quarters on the second floor. Of course, there might have been other people who'd have the same idea. Shame this only occurred to her when she was three quarters of the way up the stairs and heard the sound of the exterior door opening. Crap!

She'd frantically darted down the hall, making as little noise as she could, and slipped into one of the last bedrooms, silently easing the door shut behind her. Maybe they'd go into the basement, she thought, and leave after they saw there was nothing down there. Maybe they wouldn't come up here. Maybe they just wanted somewhere to spend the night, annd if she was really quiet, the newcomers would hunker down in one of the closer rooms and she could slip out after they went to sleep. Maybe she could add a few more notches to her belt. Either/or.

An eternity passed. Nothing moved, except dust motes. Juanita only heard small things, ghosts of sounds quiet enough to be her own imagination. Maybe they hadn't come upstairs. Maybe they were heading to the basement. Maybe they had turned around and left. But then one of them yelled - from one, two rooms away, max. Whoever was here, they'd been doing a great job of staying quiet. But something had caught their attention. And she knew now that they weren't alone.

She only had one shot, max, and her naginata wouldn't be any good in a space like this. Juanita took shallow breaths, trying to keep her heart racing, trying to will a burst of adrenaline into her leg. The hallway was straight. The stairs might be a different story. But she'd cross that bridge when she came to it. She could handle a straight run. But she'd have to be fast if she wanted to live.
V8 Characters:

Juanita Reid
Rebekah Hayes
Karin Han
EXTREME STEVE Dodds
Applesintime

Post by Applesintime »

Nothing but dead bodies, according to Shawn. Wasn't like he had a reason to lie given everything that'd happened, so Matthew didn't know why he was thinking 'according to'. Maybe it was just that... what Jezzie said had kinda stuck with him. About how Shawn had been digging holes or something. Andrew was 'in the hole he'd left him in', and normally he wouldn't have paid any attention to it, but... Karin. She'd been in a hole, hadn't she? With a pretty fucking gnarly wooden stake through her foot like that was some sorta punji trap. Well, it was. But someone had dug it. Matthew didn't think the terrorists would intervere in that kinda way.

He couldn't trust Jezzie 100%. She'd done more than her fair share of killing.

But that little thought couldn't worm its way out of his head, no matter how hard he tried to push it out.

A gasped shout of shock from Shawn helped kick it out — at least, for now — and Matthew startled a little, flashlight raised in Shawn's direction. Nothing looked wrong, but had he stumbled upon something? Someone? A sleeping Katelyn, or a happy little cache of assault rifle ammo that someone had left behind? Or maybe there was someone in there waiting for someone to walk in and he was about to watch his friend die. So he hurried over, keeping the light on Shawn as he turned back to look into the room, peering over his shoulder at the discovery.

It was Shu, lying in bed with a bullet in his head, a revolver next to him and what looked like some kinda rifle on the other side of him, he could just see it poking out. Neat.

"Nah, he wasn't on the announcement. Must have been a few hours ago. Think we'd have heard something if he'd, uh... been recent. Guess the guilt got to him." Matthew shrugged nonchalantly. It was a morbid thought, but it was one less killer that they had to worry about. And that gun probably had some ammo - maybe they'd have enough to properly arm themselves, long gun and a sidearm each. At that point, they'd be pretty unstoppable in a firefight.

"Go check him out. I'll cover you, make sure nothing sneaks up on us." Flashing his light around the hallway, he checked both entrances, pausing for a second at the far side of the corridor.

Was that a person, or... was he just seeing shit in the dark?
[+] V8

Fiori

Post by Fiori »

"No shit..." Shawn uttered under his breath, shining his flashlight at the giant magnum laying near Shu's hand. Didn't need to be Poirot to put 2-and-2 together, seemed like Shu didn't have it in him to see this through to the end. Shame.

Well. Waste not, want not.

Nodding his head in agreement, Shawn dumped the assault rifle on the bed beside Shu's body, trying to avert his gaze from the shredded brains and skull fragments splattered all over the pillows. Cautiously reaching down for the magnum, as if he was expecting Shu to wake up and snatch his wrist, he slowly lifted it up for a quick examination. When he finally figured out how to open the chamber, he couldn't help but let out an audible groan.

"Empty... Fuck's sake" he grouches, snapping the chamber shut before putting it back where he found it. Still, somehow the Smith and Wesson wasn't the only bigass revolver left unattended, what with the large unusual rifle laying near Shu's feet. It looked like something straight out of a spaghetti western, Shawn giving it a similar look-over before figuring out how to open the chamber, expecting it to be similarly empty.

This time however, his eyes widened in pleasant surprise.

"Oh.. H-holy shit, we hit the jackpot!" he gasps, unable to hide the elation in his voice, his hands trembling as he turned to let Matthew take a look.

Turns out it wasn't a rifle after all, but a shotgun. A loaded shotgun at that, four shells still in the chamber with room for one more.

Putting it down for the moment, he then started rummaging through Shu's bag, pulling out a small box and giving it a shake.

"No magnum rounds, but shottie ammo aplenty..." he continues, showing off one of the shells before slotting it into the chamber. No food or medical supplies though, which was... Curious. Maybe that's why Shu took the coward's way out? Who could say, he didn't particularly care one way or another. 

In all the excitement, one of the shotgun shells ended up falling onto the floor with a metallic clank, prompting Shawn to point his flashlight at the ground to look for it. In doing so, he spotted a peculiar detail he hadn't noticed earlier.

A footprint. A bloody one at that. One of theirs? No, blood was dry when they arrived. This one would've been made not long after Shu snuffed it, which meant this wasn't as straightforward a crime scene as they first suspected. Would explain the lack of basic supplies, but it didn't explain why the shotgun was left untouched. Why off a guy and leave two guns behind?

The only explanation that made any sense was a rather chilling one: Shu's killer didn't need them.

Shawn couldn't help but gulp. "Think we better get a move on, this place is giving me the heebies..." he says, not wanting to spend a second longer than necessary within that building. Too many ghosts skulking about for his liking.

[+] V8
[+] V5
[+] V4
Jazzfat

Post by Jazzfat »

John had heard others, and weighed going over to introduce themselves.

Stranger danger, though. And, well...feels like a lot more than a few. More like a many. John was never good at ascertaining the amount of people in a crowd, and how to differentiate it from a group (smaller) and a party (bigger).

So, instead, they simply exited the situation as quickly and quietly as they could.

((And John. having noped from one situation, noped out of the next.))
Applesintime

Post by Applesintime »

Whatever the figure on the far side of the hallway was, be it a shadow that his imagination was playing up or just some random guy who'd stumbled upon them, it disappeared as quickly as Matthew saw it. Even still, he raised the gun and trained it on the door, just in case they were gonna come through guns blazing next. Nothing happened, thankfully, and Shawn's gasp — this time not in shock or horror, but more a happy surprise — turned Matthew's head again. The rifle thing had been like... a revolving shotgun or something! And this time, the Ammo Fairy that was going around and stealing people's ammo or whatever the fuck was happening hadn't arrived yet!

"Hey, I guess it's Shu's early Christmas present to you! A second-hand shotgun, just don't take your eye out with it." Admittedly, now he couldn't help but want it. Especially with how he normally ended up taking point. A pistol, you had to hit somewhere special to take down the person you were shooting at. A shotgun? All you had to do was point and shoot and boom, they were either dead or soon to be dead. A thought went through Matthew's head, though. Why not use the shotgun if you were gonna kill yourself? LIke, you'd make a lot more of a mess but at least you'd be 100% guaranteed to not be there when you pulled the trigger.

Eh, maybe he was overthinking shit. Maybe the revolver was what Shu wanted to use. As long as a killer was dead, he wasn't going to argue with the methods.

"Alright. Guess we leave the revolver and AR behind, then?" Made sense. They couldn't really know what it was chambered in and knowing his luck, it'd be some sorta obscure calibre that a gunsmith made in his garage in the 70s called the .329 Dickball or some shit and they'd never find any other ammo for it. The assault rifle pained his heart to leave, but it was big and bulky, and if they found some 5.56 they'd probably find a gun to go along with it. So, goodbye BR-18.

Moving out of the doorway so Shawn could finally get out of the room, he glanced at both entrances. Still no person.

"Yeah, let's get outta here. You wanna take point, now you've got the shotgun?"

((Matthew Bell and Shawn Bellamy continued in Alpha Mike Foxtrot))
[+] V8

Gundham

Post by Gundham »

Juanita breathed a quiet sigh of relief as the sounds faded away. Whoever they had been, they sounded dangerous. And based on the bits of conversation she overheard, they were very, very well-armed. She waited as long as she could, counting silently to a thousand, then she nosed the door open with her shotgun barrel.

Nothing happened.

She pushed the door open a little more, waiting for a creak, a bullet, anything. No response.

She made her way down the hall carefully, checking all the doors for signs of ambush, anybody lurking. Just in case. Once she reached the stairs, she let out a breath. That had been a close one. She might not be that lucky next time.

((Juanita Reid continued elsewhere.))
V8 Characters:

Juanita Reid
Rebekah Hayes
Karin Han
EXTREME STEVE Dodds

Return to “Sleeping Quarters (DANGER ZONE)”