Every Planet We Reach Is Dead

Multishot! Day 6

Cutting a path through the trees at the base of the mountain, the old road was the only usable link for vehicles wishing to travel between the mining town and the research station. This meant it was kept in relatively good condition almost year-round, although it was prone to blockages from mountain debris. In the years since the island was abandoned, no one has been present to clear these blockages, and the tarmac has started to crack and break apart from years of freezing and thawing. Despite this, it is still the most easily traversable path on the island, even with the edges of the forest starting to encroach upon it.

Thread limit: 1
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

Dawn worked quickly, stopping the bleeding wounds as fast as she could. Within minutes, she had done all of what she could, most of what she dared, barely anything of what she wanted and probably not enough.

Eventually, her newest patient moved under her and woke up while Dawn applied the last bandages.

"What I can, I suppose," she answered to the question posed before throwing a smile D's way. "I stopped the bleedings and bandaged you up. If it hurts, I am sorry, but I am all out on painkillers."

With her work finished, she stepped back, allowing Daenerys some breathing room.

"Do you want to drink a bit?"
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

For about 10 seconds, Daenerys stared blankly at the friendly Samaritan.

Then she burst out into a laughing fit devoid of any joy.

All this time D had told herself her actions were necessary. That attempting to rob a sleeping person, lashing out at an annoying frenemy and disposing of people she deemed neither useful nor dependable was what every sane person would do if thrown onto this island. That had been her excuse.

And now? Now that she lay dying, with no way to turn away from the chosen path? Now was the time she ran into someone who spit all her excuses in the face.

Now all she could do was look at her own pathetic sight and laugh.

At least until she moved too much, resulting in a flush of blood entering her mouth.
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

D's laughter caused Dawn to take a surprised step back, unsure what part of the occasion was so funny. But when Daenerys coughed up blood, her resolve resurfaced once more. Deciding that the girl needed some water, Dawn pulled out a bottle and opened it.

"Here!"

Thankfully, Daenerys stopped coughing on her own and cooperated.
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

The water ran down her inside, cooling down wherever it went. It felt good. Or rather, less bad.

When the bottle left her lips, Daenerys took a deep breath and concentrated. Her vision was still getting darker, her limbs so numb she doubted she would be able to stand up.

Her vocal chords produced a "Thanks!", even if it meant nothing. "And..."

What to say? She wasn't going to pretend that there was a special bond between them, so she couldn't say "Good luck out there". She didn't think that whoever got away from thsi island would ever find peace again, so "I hope you make it." would be wrong as well. "I hope you die quickly and painless." would just sound mean-spirited.

So she settled with something simpler, remembering what Jezzie told her back at the hot spring.

"My condolences... for... Ethan..."

WIth that, Daenerys closed her eyes.
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

Just as Dawn feared, her first aid wasn't enough. She still forced herself to watch as Daenerys made her exit from this world, not without a last message.

A last message that crushed down on Dawn like a tidal wave.

My condolences for Ethan.

What?

"W-what do you mean?"
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

No reply.
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

Dawn grabbed D by the shoulders and shook her, desperation seeping into her voice.

"What do you mean? What is with Ethan?"
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

D gave no reply, for her time had come.

S076 Daenerys "D" Todd - Deceased
71 Students Remain
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

Dawn's shaking made D's head move slightly, a movement devoid of any agency. Like a puppet without strings.

It informed Dawn of what had happened. That she wouldn't get an answer fron Daenerys. All she had was this last sentence, probably meant to be comforting, but bringing Dawn little more than dread. It had to be a misunderstanding. Daenerys probably just misheard a name on the announcements or misremembered. Or maybe she just wanted to scare her.

After all, Dawn had listened to every announcement intently, right? She would have caught her best friend being mentioned, right?

But there sat a truth she couldn't deny, no matter how much she wanted to.

On the third day, Fitz showed her a list with those who killed someone on Day One, mentioned on the only announcement she missed.

He never told her about the victims. In fact, no one did.

It took Dawn a few minutes until she finally stood straight again. Snow had already begun to cover the fresh corpse. Soon Daenerys would be a white as most things in this forest.

Instinctively, her hands went back into her backpack, looking for an emergency blanket.

She remembered Fitz' last words.

"..."

In the end, Dawn left the corpse behind, not covered by anything.

((Dawn Monotogomery continued in I Hail From Nowhere))
V9
Judy Loxley
Ae-Cha Myo
Cynthia Jericho
Sarah Williams
V8
S007 Derek Caldwell [65/134]
S026 Dawn Montogomery [34/134]
S076 Daenerys "D" Todd [72/134]
S106 Ethan Kemp [132/134]
S116 Quentin B. Skinner [94/134]

Return to “The Old Road”