Welcome to Hell

The massacres of ages, too many to recall — Open

Behind the church, surrounded by a wrought iron fence and under the shadow of the mountain, sits the graveyard. Each resting place marked with either a worn tombstone or simple wooden cross. Always covered with a layer of snow and ice, the ground in the graveyard is cracked and split, the result of the same seismic activity that is also affecting the church. This has created a foreboding scene: in certain places, the coffins of the dead residents can be seen where graves have opened due to the disturbance. There are also open graves that present a fall hazard for someone traversing the area. At the back of the graveyard is a small wooden shed which once contained the grave keeper's tools, though it now stands empty and only offers meager shelter from the elements.
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

"Pff, tell me about it..." Lily scoffed in response to Liya's comment. She wasn't exactly all that keen on the term being misused for the name of a death game herself, because that's... That's NOT how Darwinism worked, goddamnit!

But, whatever, in the end she suspected the bastards who set this all up didn't actually give a damn. She'd heard enough from Fitz and Alex to know it didn't really matter what you started out with, even the biggest killers often got assigned something as simple as a cyanide pill or an iron shield. She dreaded to think who out of her classmates had the potential to be the next big power player, or even worse the next Blood Boy, or Isabel Ramirez, or...

Sarah Atwell

She'd shiver and shrug off an uncomfortable memory from her past, focusing back on the conversation at hand. Thankfully, it was at that point that Big D revealed his own assigned weapon: The tiniest pistol she had ever laid eyes on.

Despite everything, she couldn't help but stifle a laugh, bringing her hand up to cover her mouth. "HMmmph... Sorry, I'm just, that... That's just too perfect..."

As everyone was sharing their weapons, she'd pull her's out to take a closer look, deciding now was the time to finally see how it looked unfolded. "I got, uh... This" she'd say, pulling away the thin leather strap that was keeping it bound and letting it roll freely, revealing several long bendy blades that flopped limply. 

Now that she got a proper look at it unfolded, she felt a click at the back of her memory, like she'd happened across it one time whilst browsing weird obscure medieval weaponry on the internet. It was of Indian origin, if memory served her correctly, and worked kinda like a sword whip? It was actually pretty rad, all things considered. There was no way she was ever going to kill someone with the damn thing, not that she had any intentions of hurting anyone anytime soon, but she couldn't really complain.

Man, Chloe's gonna be mad I got this instead of her...
Coming soon to a V9 near you
Marcia "Marcy" Valerio: The Dancer
Koa Tagaloa: The Wrestler
Johnny Benowitz: The Jock
Florida Riley: The Saint

[+] V8
Cassie Chao: The Wallflower Thank you... For talking to me, when nobody else even knew I was there.
Shawn Bellamy: The Bastard "We're the only decent people left on this island, Matt. Way I see it, as long as one of us survives this... I'd say that's a win, wouldn't you?""
Lillian "Lily" Larsen: The Satanist "Don't think explanations will be necessary. Neither of us are exactly innocent anymore."
Mitch McDuffy: The Gamer Jobtown. Baby.
[+] V5
Brian Zhdanovich "Just... Just stay safe Ruby. Don't take any unnecessary risks, or accept candy from strangers. But most of all, don't you ever..."
Ruby Forrester "Do you seriously think you're the only person on this island whose had a shitty week?"
Jenna Rhodes"Of course, assuming that all goes as planned, we'd have to do something about the whole 24-hours-no-kill limit. Maybe draw straws, or take a vote, something along those lines... Either way, the longer we put this off, the more likely it is that we'll all get rescued and taken away from this hellhole."
[+] V4
Marty J. Lovett ""Well... Here we are buddy. To be totally honest with you, I didn't think either of us would make it this far. Who'd of thought, huh? I was SURE that I'd be dead within the first couple of days."
Joshua Krakowsk "...I'm tellin' you Marty, somewhere out there is a picture of Danya and George Bush on a boat with the biggest damn catfish you've EVER seen!"
Maxwell Lombardi "Now then, I'm afraid I must bid you all adieu. I look forward to meeting the rest of your children, siblings, lovers, friends and what not. And I'm sure they're looking forward to meeting me as well..."
Vera Osborne"Now then... Tell me why I shouldn't just snuff out your existence and get it all over and done with?"
MethodicalSlacker

Post by MethodicalSlacker »

"It's evil," Amaryllis said, "and about seven feet deep, instead of six, judging by, I dunno, my height compared to how much else dirt there is."

A billhook was a fine weapon. It wasn't good for cleaning game but it could clear brush, and it could clear a head clean off a body. So, if Liya needed to defend herself, or decided that she needed it for, well, more than that, she was all set. And Big D had a Little P to go with, too. Could put a nice perforation in someone at close-ish range, or ward someone off at longer. That, plus the urumi, which, holy god, looked like something someone made up, which Amaryllis supposed it was, by nature, but the way those blades dangled and jumped around on the end—Lily didn't look like she was too enthusiastic, but rear back and flog someone hard enough, you'd carve seven stripes right through them.

And all Amaryllis had was the lacrosse stick. At least the handle felt metallic, not cheap plastic. Maybe good for smacking someone with, but not a killing weapon. She couldn't help but feel envy, like acid reflux, boiling in her gullet.

"They're goading us on, arming us to kill," Amaryllis said, "or to want to kill. From the outset, there are haves, and have-nots."

It was already more like Survival of the Richest than Survival of the Fittest. The Hobbesian state of nature started a half hour ago, totally ignorant (or was it?) of any influence of upbringing on ability in the eighteen or so years preceding. Those fortunate enough to start with the big guns could get kills early, leading them to better weapons and more supplies, enabling them to retire to a safe hiding spot until the DZ forced them on—and there was the specter of that kill award she had a foggy memory of hearing about, on that bloodied stage—while anyone with, say, a lacrosse stick, or anything even worse than that (of which she was sure there must be) had to struggle and debase themselves for a chance to rise to the top, economically, in a sense, incentivized to do what the terrorists wanted, which was to kill, and make good on the point of their argument. Whatever that was.

Lily hadn't let on that she'd noticed the extra few seconds Amaryllis had held her hand.

"Between the three of you," she said, "you're well armed. Well-off. A gun is a gun, no matter how small; a billhook can kill; and if you really follow through with that whip sword, you could tear someone to shreds."

Amaryllis looked down at her lacrosse stick, and frowned.

"Meanwhile."
BlizzardeyeWonder

Post by BlizzardeyeWonder »

"Maybe they were gonna give the revenants an extra foot of dirt to claw through," Liya commented, on the deeper-than-usual grave.

She took a sharp breath in, as Amaryllis spoke - transport them back to their kinda-big town and she could imagine them talking-venting in the living room or something about the state of the world. Back then, she might have even laughed, because what were you gonna do? They were always living in the thick of it, their generation, but it was just that much more acute right here and now.

"Shit, I've wondered if it's their entire point," Liya admitted her prior train of thought. "The argument they wanna present to the world."

She looked to the urumi, assigned to Lily. Liya couldn't believe she was saying this shit, but bless her heart. The only way Lily could ever kill someone was by giving a conservative old geezer who still thought the devil lived in D&D and rock n' roll a heart attack.

Liya eyed the lacrosse stick in Amaryllis' hand. She was hardly jealous of it, but if it had been assigned to Liya - thematic appropriateness aside - she might not have pulled what she did in the starting minutes of the game, because look at that thing. Lacrosse could get heated and even a little violent at times, but a lacrosse stick would make a Cluedo-ass murder weapon. It just wasn't as obviously lethal as a billhook - it wouldn't have been as clean a ticket out and back to Anna.

There was a frown on her face, but a look in her eyes that contextualized it. The kind of frown she had when she was thinking about something really hard.

She put the bag, billhook in it, between her and Amaryllis.

"You might have a point about our weapons being switched. I used to beat things and sometimes people with those as a sport - and you might be able to put the billhook to good use." Liya shrugged. "'course, that wouldn't solve the problem of, y'know, shit existing with the gold in weapon draws. But like, what do you think?"

It was for Amaryllis' own benefit. But it was also the fact that holding that billhook, or just looking at that billhook, and knowing her one kill was one slice away was already doing shit to her head.
she/her/he/him
[+] V8 - CURRENT

Meena Lalita Kumar
the dreaded SI
>Pregame Start: Cast Call
--> Pregame Status: Crying in the (music) club
>Homecoming Start: Dying Clean And Pretty
-->Homecoming Status: It's worse fresh (ish) off a breakup
>Game Start: It's Lights Out, And Away They Go!
-->Game Status (FINAL): The future sucks.

Tenshi Marie Anastasie Fukushima-Yves
#1 princess and voca-tuber in the whole wide world
--> Pregame Status: Trying and failing to share manga
>Homecoming Start: N/A
-->Homecoming Status: N/A
>Game Start: spawn more overlords!
-->Game Status (FINAL): A star has fallen.

Iliya "Liya" Polaris - DEAD
rebelling against a traditional Wiccan upbringing
--> Pregame Status: Some things are more important than a party
>Homecoming Start: Guys and Dolls
-->Homecoming Status: don't tell anyone this but she was actually one of the raccoons
>Game Start: A Question of Faith
-->Game Status (FINAL): The spirit was weak.

Daniel Ozanne
poker twink
--> Pregame Status: Uncomfortable questions
>Game Start: nooooo don't get kidnapped by the AT your too sexy aha
-->Game Status: breaking down but trying to help
[+] V7
[+] Meilin
Meilin Zhou (Wiki) - DEAD

>Pregame Start: life observes itself
-->Pregame Status: Waltzed out a party with her crush
>Prom Start: Fancy Meeting You Here
-->Prom Status: Taking a dance, taking on the world
>Trip Start: The Best of You
-->Trip Status: Running away from an eyeful of NSFW
>Game Start: Rise Great Undead Lord Dread
-->Game Status (FINAL): Stop hitting yourself

Aesthetics
"No sun to rise would be okay with me... Everyday, every day is okay"
[+] Camilla
Camilla Bell (Wiki) - DEAD

>Pregame Start: Who's Turn Was It, Anyway?
-->Pregame Status: Had more than her fair share of revelry
>Prom Start: Early in the Morning
-->Prom Status: Ditching the drama for blues
>Trip Start: When I'm Gone
-->Trip Status: Preemptively homesick
>Game Start: Bloom Nobly, in a Transient Life
-->Game Status (FINAL): Loved to death.

Aesthetics
"A voice in her head, a voice in her head, screaming all the words that were left unsaid"
Buko

Post by Buko »

There was a part of Richard that understood where Amaryllis was coming from. The point that she was making with the haves and have-nots. The obvious that the terrorists wanted them to kill one another. But the circumstances, the Circumstance, was not so zero-sum in Dick’s head. Fate had put Amaryllis in the grave—but it had also placed Lily near her to help her out of the hole. Fate had given her a lacrosse stick—it had also given her the relationship with Iliya and the billhook that came with it and had put it directly in her hands.

“Divide and conquer is the tool of The Decider or some shit,” Richard shrugged, “they can goad all they like—more kids get killed than kill in these things. Most folks ain’t gonna respond to this the way they want,” he pointed to his collar, "why these ain't enough. They gotta it put in danger zones and all that. Most people would just hide and wait it out if given a choice."

Dick nodded to himself as he was his own target audience.Richard was the one who needed to be convinced just as much as any of the girls. He didn’t know how much of what he was saying was entirely true. It felt right though, didn’t it? Naivety usually did. A thousand kids had died in SOTF, there was a memorial in DC and everything! Did the murderers even reach one hundred? There were hundreds of victims--less than half a dozen living victors.

“We’re all still people, we’re all still friends,” he pointed to Iliya’s offering, “we’re all still lookin’ out for one another,” Dick took a deep breath, “it’s too early to give up and give in.”
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

Lily looked down at her sword-whip and shrugged, giving it a slow and cautious crack, watching as the multiple bendy blades shuddered at the slightest flick of her wrist. "Maybe. I doubt this thing is much good in the hands of an amateur, but I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of it, for sure."

She'd sigh and tune into the discussion at hand, listening to her colleagues openly speculate on the philosophical reasoning behind why they were all here. Personally, Lily suspected the motives behind this twisted game to be a more banal shade of evil, hidden under the guise of some elaborate political statement. They had to be making money off of this somehow, how else would they be able to afford the resources needed to keep doing this over and over, finding a new island and kidnapping an entire bus of highschoolers right under the government's nose? They can wax lyrical all they want about their bastardised interpretation of Darwinism, end of the day the only things these people cared about was making a profit. 

At least, it was the only reason she could think of why anyone would go through so much effort just to make a bunch of scared teenagers kill each other. Because otherwise... Nobody would go through all that effort, over and over, just to send a message right?

Right?

"Big... Richard is right" she'd interject, turning to Richard and offering a nod of agreement. "Most people don't turn into savages the second society falls apart. Most of us are just trying to do our best to stay alive, to look out for one another..."

She'd turn to Amaryllis and nod to her. As it happened she did notice the few extra seconds she'd held onto her hand, but she hadn't read too much into it. She was thankful for Lily saving her, that's all there was to it. She liked to think Amaryllis would have done the same for her if she had woken up in that hole instead.

"They want to make us think there are monsters hidden amongst us, whilst the real monsters are the ones who put us here, trying to make us tear each other apart."

She'd turn her head to the camera at that point. Lily wanted to believe her own words, that most people were better than Danya 2.0 had made them out to be.

She also couldn't forget the things she'd read about the past games that led credence to the contrary, however.

A shiver crept over her, which she blamed on the cold weather. She'd then watch the curious exchange between Liya and Amaryllis, the former offering her friend an exchange of weapons. It seemed a little odd to her that's she'd surrender an objectively better draw for something less practical, but it wasn't her place to say anything on the matter.

Still, after waiting for Amaryllis to make her decision, Lily would take another errant glance at her surroundings before breaking the silence.

"So... What now?"

[+] V8
Cassie Chao: The Wallflower Thank you... For talking to me, when nobody else even knew I was there.
Shawn Bellamy: The Bastard "We're the only decent people left on this island, Matt. Way I see it, as long as one of us survives this... I'd say that's a win, wouldn't you?""
Lillian "Lily" Larsen: The Satanist "Don't think explanations will be necessary. Neither of us are exactly innocent anymore."
[+] V5
Brian Zhdanovich "Just... Just stay safe Ruby. Don't take any unnecessary risks, or accept candy from strangers. But most of all, don't you ever..."
Ruby Forrester "Do you seriously think you're the only person on this island whose had a shitty week?"
Jenna Rhodes"Of course, assuming that all goes as planned, we'd have to do something about the whole 24-hours-no-kill limit. Maybe draw straws, or take a vote, something along those lines... Either way, the longer we put this off, the more likely it is that we'll all get rescued and taken away from this hellhole."
[+] V4
Marty J. Lovett ""Well... Here we are buddy. To be totally honest with you, I didn't think either of us would make it this far. Who'd of thought, huh? I was SURE that I'd be dead within the first couple of days."
Joshua Krakowsk "...I'm tellin' you Marty, somewhere out there is a picture of Danya and George Bush on a boat with the biggest damn catfish you've EVER seen!"
Maxwell Lombardi "Now then, I'm afraid I must bid you all adieu. I look forward to meeting the rest of your children, siblings, lovers, friends and what not. And I'm sure they're looking forward to meeting me as well..."
Vera Osborne"Now then... Tell me why I shouldn't just snuff out your existence and get it all over and done with?"
MethodicalSlacker

Post by MethodicalSlacker »

"No, I can't accept that," Amaryllis said, "I can't. It's yours. You need it to defend yourself. I'll... I'll make do."

She turned away and looked off into the distance while Big D. spoke. It had been a good minute since she made it out of the grave, and it was time to look at her surroundings. They stood in the shadow of a church, in the center of a town, that itself was in the shadow of a great mountain. Thin snow covered the ground. The shore was not visible, not from any direction, as she turned around in a slow circle. There was, however, the distant outline of a large facility in the distance. She guessed that this was the mine from the map.

Amaryllis cleared her throat.

"You're right, of course. More people die here than get the chance to kill. But that's what they want too. There can't be killers without victims. And you're right about the danger zones, and the collars, and the ways that they've stacked the deck against us, to view each other as less than people.

"And you're right, too," she said, now turning towards Lily, "it's our nature as humans to cooperate. If, in our normal lives, things collapsed, we wouldn't go crazy. And that's why they're doing all they can to make us go insane. It's not to comment on what's already in us, our human nature. It's... about something else."

What else, in our real, day to day lives, makes us behave in a way that is inhumane? What is it that makes us turn up our noses and walk blindly by as people lay dying in the street? That makes us give so much money to militarized death squads in the name of protection, law and order? What drives our greed? It's not something in us; it's what we've been attached to, were attached to, long before we were born, and will be attached to after we die. As good or bad examples. We aren't able to move away from it; it surrounds us, intersects us, intangible and everywhere. We're caught like flies in a spider's web. And now the web is real, and clamping down around our throats, and giving us weapons and telling us to finish each other off so the spider can eat us. Or, to show off our bodies to all of its friends, and our families, and—

"I don't really have a clue what, though," she lied. Then she lied again and put her hands on her arms like she was cold.

"We should go inside someplace. Get out of anyone who's already given in's line of sight, or fire."
BlizzardeyeWonder

Post by BlizzardeyeWonder »

Liya took a breath in. "Alright..." she muttered as she took her bag back. What were you supposed to say in this situation?

She tried to keep it off her face, but Liya didn't want to hold that knife. Amaryllis was right, but in a way that felt horrifying to Liya. She could keep it in her bag for as long as she liked but merely having it felt like seeing a timer slowly ticking down the longer the game went on. Eventually, something would give. Something would make it so that Liya had to bring out that billhook and wield it as the weapon it was - and she would have to follow through.

That moment, something might just change in Liya. Something changed when she first held it, something that made it possible for her to even think about bringing it down on the neck of a defenseless classmate. She hated that first change - she feared the next one.

Cruel circumstance played with electrochemistry and adrenaline played with the human brain. People like them never planned to be a victim or a perpetrator when they were first setting out, not out there and not out here.

The others added their speculations to hers on the meaning of the game. She formulated hers not because she agreed with it, but because the kind of fucked up people who could do this were the sort to be limited by a shallow view of others - if they thought underneath the veneer of society is was kill-or-be-killed and haves trampling on the have-nots, they would easily believe everyone else secretly believed the exact same thing.

And to be honest, Liya wasn't confident in all her classmates. No doubt some petty jackass really did believe all that, and was just waiting for the chance to shed any expectation of decency.

"Yeah," Liya huffed, and saw her breath condense in front of her. "Yeah... y'think any of these buildings are insulated or something? Heating's probably not working but you'd think they'd build for the cold."
she/her/he/him
[+] V8 - CURRENT

Meena Lalita Kumar
the dreaded SI
--> Pregame Status: Crying in the (music) club
>Homecoming Start: Dying Clean And Pretty
-->Homecoming Status: It's worse fresh (ish) off a breakup
>Game Start: It's Lights Out, And Away They Go!
-->Game Status (FINAL): The future sucks.

Tenshi Marie Anastasie Fukushima-Yves
#1 princess and voca-tuber in the whole wide world
--> Pregame Status: Trying and failing to share manga
>Game Start: spawn more overlords!
-->Game Status (FINAL): A star has fallen.

Iliya "Liya" Polaris - DEAD
rebelling against a traditional Wiccan upbringing
--> Pregame Status: Some things are more important than a party
>Homecoming Start: Guys and Dolls
-->Homecoming Status: don't tell anyone this but she was actually one of the raccoons
>Game Start: A Question of Faith
-->Game Status (FINAL): The spirit was weak.

Daniel Ozanne
poker twink
--> Pregame Status: Uncomfortable questions
>Game Start: nooooo don't get kidnapped by the AT your too sexy aha
-->Game Status: breaking down but trying to help
[+] V7
[+] Meilin
Meilin Zhou (Wiki) - DEAD

>Pregame Start: life observes itself
-->Pregame Status: Waltzed out a party with her crush
>Prom Start: Fancy Meeting You Here
-->Prom Status: Taking a dance, taking on the world
>Trip Start: The Best of You
-->Trip Status: Running away from an eyeful of NSFW
>Game Start: Rise Great Undead Lord Dread
-->Game Status (FINAL): Stop hitting yourself

Aesthetics
"No sun to rise would be okay with me... Everyday, every day is okay"
[+] Camilla
Camilla Bell (Wiki) - DEAD

>Pregame Start: Who's Turn Was It, Anyway?
-->Pregame Status: Had more than her fair share of revelry
>Prom Start: Early in the Morning
-->Prom Status: Ditching the drama for blues
>Trip Start: When I'm Gone
-->Trip Status: Preemptively homesick
>Game Start: Bloom Nobly, in a Transient Life
-->Game Status (FINAL): Loved to death.

Aesthetics
"A voice in her head, a voice in her head, screaming all the words that were left unsaid"
Buko

Post by Buko »

Richard felt his mouth tighten and his teeth grind. What now? That was the million dollar question. What had motivated him to leave the church was the immediate scream of Amaryllis. What was the mission before then? Him and Iliya finding their people. They had gotten lucky with Amaryllis, she was right in the backyard of the church. Iliya's person possessed. How lucky would Richard be with his own journeys to come? Was this trio of Lily, Amaryllis and Iliya (the Illies) the one he would stake his life on?

“I saw a housing area on the map,” he spoke in Iliya's direction, “I think if we’re lookin for insulation, it’s best to start there,” he drifted, “afterwards…”

What was he supposed to say here? The student body had elected Richard to be a leader, but Big Dick was only an option because he had put that responsibility on his own shoulders. There was a level of megalomania present whenever you placed yourself in the position of authority. Even such a small position as student body vice president or captain of the loser basketball team. An exercise of ego, people didn't grasp for power unless they thought they knew how to use it best. On the other side of that exercise of ego was an exercise in ethics and responsibility along with a constant contradiction between self-centeredness and selflessness. What was a leader able to do? Look another person in the eye and convince them that whatever The Leader was speaking was not for the benefit of the he but the benefit of we. His classmates had picked Big Dick to be a leader, that meant he had to lead. Whatever that meant.

But he wasn’t the only one they had chosen. He wasn't even the first choice. He could've been, if he had wanted. But all Big Dick had wanted, he hadn't wanted that.

“I know it sounds silly, like, thinking student government can do anything in the real world let alone out here,” Dick began knowing his plan bordered on fantasy, “but I do believe that the key to getting through this whole thing is coalition building,” he exhaled a sharp breath that could be seen and held in the cold, dim morning light, “if I can find Miss Prez and we can combine our strength,” my strength, “with her own…I think we can convince people not too quickly rush off the deep end and shit, I dunno…”

This didn’t feel smart. Dick was only saying it because it felt right.

“Fuck it,” he finally grunted and then dropped his duffel bag on the ground and begin fishing inside for the map, “let’s just figure out where we’re going.”
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

Lily nodded her head in agreement. She hadn't really had a chance to think about any long term plans herself, nor was she likely to settle on anything until they had a chance to sit down and talk this out properly. For now she figured their first priority should be finding somewhere to hold up, work things out one step at a time.

"Would've thought so..." she'd respond to Liya speculating about the buildings being insulated, folding her urumi up and tucking it into her belt, trying to set it up so that she could (for lack of a better term) whip it out at a moment's notice. Big D was suggesting that they go find Madam Presidente herself, Chloe Delecroix, and his logic mostly checked out. She and Big D both had political clout back home, so it made sense that they would have a better shot at getting others to sit and listen than a suspected Satanist like herself. It was reliant of course on Chloe having similar intentions, and she didn't know enough about her as a person compared to her own friends, though judging from how worried Rebekah got during homecoming about upsetting her...

She couldn't help but wonder how her own friends were holding up. Knowing Rebekah, oddball that she was, she was probably befriending the local wildlife. Fitz and Alex both knew a lot more about SOTF than she did, she wouldn't be surprised if they both already had a game plan set. Jacob, Derek and Tana though, she couldn't say, but she hoped they were all safe and secure somewhere. 

Once Big D got that map out, she'd lean over to take a look herself, biting her bottom lip in consideration. Apparently they were right outside the only town on the island, the only other significant settlement being a research station of some kind. There better not be a half-built UFO in the basement somewhere, I swear to god...

"I second the housing area, probably plenty of places to hold up there" she'd say, before zipping her bag up and hoisting it onto her back, double checking the map and compass. They'd stood out in the cold long enough at this point, and as Amaryllis pointed out, it'd be best if they moved on before... Well, before someone with less scruples happened across them.

"Well, shall we?" she'd ask, before they all left the graveyard far behind them.

((Lillian Larsen, Amaryllis Peszek-Byrne, Iliya "Liya" Polaris and Big Dick Buster continued in Goblin Castle))

[+] V8
[+] V5
[+] V4

Return to “The Graveyard”