She was like a sunflower

oneshot

Cutting a path through the trees at the base of the mountain, the old road was the only usable link for vehicles wishing to travel between the mining town and the research station. This meant it was kept in relatively good condition almost year-round, although it was prone to blockages from mountain debris. In the years since the island was abandoned, no one has been present to clear these blockages, and the tarmac has started to crack and break apart from years of freezing and thawing. Despite this, it is still the most easily traversable path on the island, even with the edges of the forest starting to encroach upon it.

Thread limit: 1
Pippi

She was like a sunflower

Post by Pippi »

((Beatrice Briggs continued from The World Has Been Changed (Do You Want To Save It?)))

She was starting to recognise each divot and bump in this rough old road.

How many times had she walked along it, now? And not even the road in its entirety, this specific stretch of it, flanked by trees on one side and a titanic wall of stone on the other. Far too frequently to count at this point. It felt rather like she’d spent the last few days confined to one half of the island, trotting back and forth, and to and fro. She felt more than just a small pang of regret over that. There was so much of the island she still was yet to see, and if she was being honest to herself, that she would never end up seeing. The downed plane. The beach and the coastline. The old mine.

So many people in those locations she would never get to see again.

But she was hopeful, not stupid. Naive, potentially, but not clueless. She knew, realistically, that she only had a limited amount of time left. She was only one girl. She could only do so much. And ‘so much’ certainly didn’t stretch out into being able to cover every inch of the island in the span of a single day. She knew she couldn’t save everyone. She knew she had to try anyway. And she knew that sometimes you just had to make a decision, before one was made for you.

‘Pick your battles’. That had been another one of her dad’s favourite phrases - she loved her father dearly, so unbelievably dearly, but he did have a habit of being a walking quotation machine on some days. It was appropriate for this moment, though. Because what did she have left, right now? She had just parted with two friends, who she hoped would never ever cross her path again. She had a map, which told her where to go but not what she would find there. She had people that she needed to help, but they weren’t with her right now.

She had a funeral invite, in her pocket.

So that was the path she needed to take, that was the battle she would fight. Before her path up the mountain was blocked off, and before she herself was laid to rest wherever she might fall. It would be a lonely journey, this time. She was already bracing herself for her tears to carve familiar tracks down her face. But it was a trek she knew that she had to make - and more importantly, one that she knew she’d be able to. She didn’t know if she could ever be as brave as Rebekah, or as strong as Jessica, but she would do her best to even brush her fingers against those lofty heights.

The tarmac behind her was split and cracked through years of neglect, weakening day by day. Bright green, green grass had broken up through it, translucent in the light of the sun, reaching up to grasp the dawn, holding on with fragile fingers, and never letting go.

((Beatrice Briggs continued in And the universe said ‘I love you’))
[+] V9
Amber Barnes
Dennis "Buck" Buckley
Patty English
Alejandro Garcia de Teresa
[+] The Past
V8
S009 - Trinity Ashmore - DECEASED - Sasumata - Embrace the dark you call a home, gaze upon an empty white throne - overlords! > Zeus > Road > Recycle > Clarification > Now? > Dodge
Pregame - Annabelle > Light > Treasures

S019 - Robin Valenti - DECEASED - Bowie knife - And if you don't love me now, you will never love me again, I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain - Lights
Pregame - Tears
The Past - like > You
It's Media - awry

S038 - Jess Kawazoe - DECEASED - MAC-11 - What's going on? Could this be my understanding? It's not your fault, I was being too demanding - Veridis > Lines > Circuit > Human
Pregame - Voyager
It's Media - ALERT

S054 - Beatrice Briggs - DECEASED - Broadaxe - Calling for the hero, here comes a big rush, if only for tomorrow, hold on and push up - Prison > Healing > father > Flowers > Beautiful > Gentle > Sing > Ordovician > You > Permian > World > sunflower > universe
Pregame - Sunset

Left Behind (Pregame)
Poppy Fontaine - Here comes the sun, here comes the raging sun, and it's raging on and so we rage as one, on until the day is done - Pregame - door > Fight!
It's Media - neighbors

Ada Bentley - Stranded on an island made of glass, trapped between the future and the past - Pregame - Intro
It's Media - Typo! > Neighbourhood > everyone

V7
B006 - Stepney Cruz - DEAD - Dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight - Mountain Bike - Localised - Catastrophe - Inferno
Pregame - Chill - Loss - Realm
Trip - Loved

G035 - Katie Agustien - DEAD - There's only two ways that these things can go, good or bad and how was I to know that all your friends won't hold any grudges, I got the final judgment - The World's Sharpest Knife™ - Dread - Skin - ieatnothing - Satisfaction - Tempest - Zero
Pregame - Vend-etta - Flames - Fleet - Monachopsis - Glitter
Trip - G҉ A҉ N҉ G҉

B028 - Aurelien Valter - DEAD - When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat, before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream - Spiked Mace, Glock 19, Min-Jae Parker's Crossbow - Nightmare - Bubbles - Neighbourhood - Tragedy - Make It - Fiend - Sleet - Love - Walls - Friends - Key - Everything - Gotta - Ghosts - Alone
Pregame - Shark - Heart
Prom - Link - Gradation - Ballare
Trip - Inferis - Scusare

B052 - Garren Mortimer - DEAD- Cut up and I can't feel my hands, no need to chase, can you relate, can you keep up the pace like you're dying for this? - Bryan Calvert's SPAS-12, Alligator tooth sword - Sky - Geek - Nation - No - Dilemma - Mauerbauertraurigkeit - Struck - Punishment - Énouement - Pain - Learn - lamb - Moves
Pregame - Rain
Trip - Life

Meanwhile
Lyra Doyle - Let's live tonight like fireflies, and one by one light up the sky - Pop!
Pregame - Evolution - Life - Lo Mein
Memories - Forward - Odds

Dean Puchero - By July you'd made a whole bunch of brand new friends, people you used to look down on, and you'd figured out a way to make real money - Phone - Angel
Pregame - Generation - Prince
Memories - Star
Prom - Sun - Luster

V6
Bryony Adams - Burning bright until the end, now you'll be missing from the photographs
Astrid Tate - So what became of loving man, and what became of you?
Mia Rose - You can't understand that I won't leave 'til we're finished here, and then you'll find out where it all went wrong

V5
Owen Kay - I fold my tie and ribbon to hide my scars, that's how it starts
Amy Bachelor - Can you whisper, as it crumbles and breaks, as you shiver, count up all your mistakes
Francis St. Ledger - So a day when you've lost yourself completely could be a night when your life ends

V4
George Leidman (Adopted from Blastinus) - Now if we jump together at least we can swim far away from the wreck that we made
Tim - Freddie - Kendra
[+] The Future
Boyd Adkinson - Ain't no surprise that I can't sleep tonight, my only vice is standing by your side
Redd Quintero
Melissa 'Lissa' McCree
Jamie Mittelman
Tabitha 'Tabby' Sun
Natalie McGuiness
Takumi Tsunoda
Ophelia Wright
Anna Montgomery
Jordan Rush
Patton Tesser
"bryony and alba would definitely join the terrorists quote me on this put this quote in signatures put it in history books" - Cicada Days, 2017

Return to “The Old Road”