Healing Grid

Oneshot, last light of Day 1

Thick with trees and snow, the tundra forest is relatively unspoiled, and some of the deeper areas have been completely untouched by man. The forest itself is made up of western red cedar, sitka spruce, and western hemlock, which have all been able to grow to large heights thanks to a lack of logging, providing areas of shelter. Some animals can also be found roaming the forest such as mountain goats, sitka black-tailed deer, and bald eagles. A dried-up riverbed can also be seen within the forest which, if followed, leads to the lower mountain path one way and the frozen lake the other way.

Thread Limit: 2
Pippi

Healing Grid

Post by Pippi »

((Beatrice Briggs continued from Prison Within a Prison))

It wasn’t quite cold enough for her breath to turn into fog.

She hoped that would change soon. She had thought about it previously, back inside that office building - she still hadn’t managed to figure out what that place was supposed to be used for, or which one it was meant to be on her map - but that had always been one of her favourite parts of winter, ever since she was tiny. She could pretend that she was a big, fearsome dragon, or that she was charging up a massive Hyper Beam to defeat all her opponents, stomping around the backyard with noises to match. There had always been an air of magic, in Beatrice’s eyes, when winter came about; something about the change in the way the air itself felt, the drop in temperature and the colour of the sky even at midday, the way the night rolled in so much earlier than usual. It was easy to believe in fantasy and wild childish dreams when the world felt so suited to them.

She was too old now to think that she could suddenly sprout huge dragon wings and fly away from here to safety, to alert the authorities, to make sure that all of her friends would be rescued and brought back home, safe and sound. But maybe a little bit of make-believe would help keep things bearable. It wasn’t as though she knew what else she should be working towards. What goal she needed to give herself.

In fairness, she also hadn’t really allowed herself much of an opportunity to consider what her plan should be. She’d just sort of been wandering for much of the time since she’d left the building; walking slow, and taking breaks whenever she needed a quick breather or to adjust her shoes, but wandering nonetheless. She didn’t know where she’d started off from, so she didn’t really know how to read the map she’d been given, and she didn’t have anywhere exact to aim for, either. Just somewhere peaceful. Just somewhere quiet.

This forest ticked both of those boxes. There was a light dusting of rain coating the area, although the boughs and branches up above were mostly doing a decent job of protecting Beatrice. The sound muffled everything, bar the noise of her shoes crunching on packed snow as she trudged forwards. There was occasional movement out of the corner of her eyes; small birds flying from tree to tree, branches depositing more snow down to the ground, leaves rustling in the gentle shower. But when those all stopped, leaving her slow march forwards the only form of motion left, it truly felt like she was the only being alive in these woods. In the world. Maybe even the universe.

She had never experienced anything like it before.

Beatrice had always been a big girl. She’d been taller than most of her classmates even at elementary school, a trend that had persisted all her life. People commented on it a lot; it was often the first thing that people mentioned upon being introduced to her. She didn’t mind it, not even when people spoke it in hushed tones, or followed it up with surreptitious laughter. She was tall, after all. It was just a fact, and a fact she was well aware of, so none of the comments about it bothered her in the slightest.

But right now, surrounded by trees that reached up into the sky itself, as tall as buildings, branches looming up overhead, just to shroud her and swaddle her in their shaded embrace, she felt so unimaginably tiny. They stretched on for what felt like forever, in every direction, further than she could see; it was easy to believe that the forest covered the entire island, if the map hadn’t told her otherwise. There was no sight of anything crafted or constructed; no brick nor metal nor mortar. No sound of it all either; on most nights, she fell asleep to the sound of the low humming of machinery in the walls, faraway traffic, and even more distant cargo trains. There was none of that here. It was an entirely different world. A brand new planet that she didn’t belong in, but that had allowed her to spend time on regardless.

She had stopped moving, she realised now. She wasn’t sure how long she’d been motionless for. Her neck was starting to ache from looking up into the roof of leaves up above, patches of light grey sky peering down at her. She rubbed the back of her neck, just below the hair tie keeping her ponytail secure, before quickly placing her hand back on the axe handle. She took a handful of slow, hesitant steps forwards, back in the direction she’d been going in before.

She faltered again soon enough. And she looked off to the side, at the great old redwood closest to her. Her footsteps turned at a right angle, leading her closer to the base of the trunk, wide enough that she couldn’t even get her arms halfway around the diameter. Beatrice stood underneath, staring up into the tangle of branches, so many miles above her head, before she turned around and leaned back, bags compressing against her back, pressed into the bark. Her arms, which had kept the axe held close to her chest up until this moment, slowly lowered, relaxing with each passing second, until the handle of the broadaxe was level with her hips.

A gentle, thin mist of rain fell upon her. She didn’t seem to mind.

((Beatrice Briggs continued in My father told me))
[+] V9
Amber Barnes
Dennis "Buck" Buckley
Patty English
Alejandro Garcia de Teresa
[+] The Past
V8
S009 - Trinity Ashmore - DECEASED - Sasumata - Embrace the dark you call a home, gaze upon an empty white throne - overlords! > Zeus > Road > Recycle > Clarification > Now? > Dodge
Pregame - Annabelle > Light > Treasures

S019 - Robin Valenti - DECEASED - Bowie knife - And if you don't love me now, you will never love me again, I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain - Lights
Pregame - Tears
The Past - like > You
It's Media - awry

S038 - Jess Kawazoe - DECEASED - MAC-11 - What's going on? Could this be my understanding? It's not your fault, I was being too demanding - Veridis > Lines > Circuit > Human
Pregame - Voyager
It's Media - ALERT

S054 - Beatrice Briggs - DECEASED - Broadaxe - Calling for the hero, here comes a big rush, if only for tomorrow, hold on and push up - Prison > Healing > father > Flowers > Beautiful > Gentle > Sing > Ordovician > You > Permian > World > sunflower > universe
Pregame - Sunset

Left Behind (Pregame)
Poppy Fontaine - Here comes the sun, here comes the raging sun, and it's raging on and so we rage as one, on until the day is done - Pregame - door > Fight!
It's Media - neighbors

Ada Bentley - Stranded on an island made of glass, trapped between the future and the past - Pregame - Intro
It's Media - Typo! > Neighbourhood > everyone

V7
B006 - Stepney Cruz - DEAD - Dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight - Mountain Bike - Localised - Catastrophe - Inferno
Pregame - Chill - Loss - Realm
Trip - Loved

G035 - Katie Agustien - DEAD - There's only two ways that these things can go, good or bad and how was I to know that all your friends won't hold any grudges, I got the final judgment - The World's Sharpest Knife™ - Dread - Skin - ieatnothing - Satisfaction - Tempest - Zero
Pregame - Vend-etta - Flames - Fleet - Monachopsis - Glitter
Trip - G҉ A҉ N҉ G҉

B028 - Aurelien Valter - DEAD - When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat, before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream - Spiked Mace, Glock 19, Min-Jae Parker's Crossbow - Nightmare - Bubbles - Neighbourhood - Tragedy - Make It - Fiend - Sleet - Love - Walls - Friends - Key - Everything - Gotta - Ghosts - Alone
Pregame - Shark - Heart
Prom - Link - Gradation - Ballare
Trip - Inferis - Scusare

B052 - Garren Mortimer - DEAD- Cut up and I can't feel my hands, no need to chase, can you relate, can you keep up the pace like you're dying for this? - Bryan Calvert's SPAS-12, Alligator tooth sword - Sky - Geek - Nation - No - Dilemma - Mauerbauertraurigkeit - Struck - Punishment - Énouement - Pain - Learn - lamb - Moves
Pregame - Rain
Trip - Life

Meanwhile
Lyra Doyle - Let's live tonight like fireflies, and one by one light up the sky - Pop!
Pregame - Evolution - Life - Lo Mein
Memories - Forward - Odds

Dean Puchero - By July you'd made a whole bunch of brand new friends, people you used to look down on, and you'd figured out a way to make real money - Phone - Angel
Pregame - Generation - Prince
Memories - Star
Prom - Sun - Luster

V6
Bryony Adams - Burning bright until the end, now you'll be missing from the photographs
Astrid Tate - So what became of loving man, and what became of you?
Mia Rose - You can't understand that I won't leave 'til we're finished here, and then you'll find out where it all went wrong

V5
Owen Kay - I fold my tie and ribbon to hide my scars, that's how it starts
Amy Bachelor - Can you whisper, as it crumbles and breaks, as you shiver, count up all your mistakes
Francis St. Ledger - So a day when you've lost yourself completely could be a night when your life ends

V4
George Leidman (Adopted from Blastinus) - Now if we jump together at least we can swim far away from the wreck that we made
Tim - Freddie - Kendra
[+] The Future
Boyd Adkinson - Ain't no surprise that I can't sleep tonight, my only vice is standing by your side
Redd Quintero
Melissa 'Lissa' McCree
Jamie Mittelman
Tabitha 'Tabby' Sun
Natalie McGuiness
Takumi Tsunoda
Ophelia Wright
Anna Montgomery
Jordan Rush
Patton Tesser
"bryony and alba would definitely join the terrorists quote me on this put this quote in signatures put it in history books" - Cicada Days, 2017

Return to “Tundra Forest”