Beyond the Grave

[Oneshot.]

Between the base of the mountain and the research station is a large and rough expanse of land permanently covered in snow. The snowfield has remained this way thanks to the slight increase of elevation and shading from the mountain itself providing cover for the snow that frequently falls upon the island. Crossing the snowfield can be treacherous as the thick snow layer and rough terrain makes walking difficult, with the ground appearing to be flatter than it actually is. Rolled ankles and falls are not uncommon and on rare occasions, a small avalanche from the slopes of the mountain will cause a fresh layer of snow to come crashing down into the valley.

Thread Limit: 1
Dogs231

Beyond the Grave

Post by Dogs231 »

The sun disappeared. The moon returned. And, just as it had before, on every day in history, the day passed on, and the night was born. And then, of course, the night passed as well, and like a phoenix from the ashes, the day was reborn. The moon disappeared. The sun returned. And, on the next day, the day would die, and the night would rise again.

It was no comfort to know that this was the sole constant in their lives.

S091: CLAIRE HAIG — CONTINUED FROM "Miles to Go"

Claire had already prepared herself for the arrival of the new dawn. Her sleep schedule had, ironically, become better under the looming threat of imminent death; it did more for her than any sleep aid ever had. In her left hand, she clasped tight the blood-stained tome, held the index finger of her right hand to her teeth, and felt the edge of the skin on the enamel.

The announcement came.

There were those among the ranks of the dead.

MELANIE MILES

HENRY DAVID DEARBORN

MARIYA WHITE

ANGELO LEE

ASHLEE DONOVAN

JOHN DAVIS

ABHISHEK PANICKER

QUENTIN SKINNER

And there those among the ranks of the killers.

Some new.

COLM FORSYTH

KARIN HAN

JACK KILGORE

JOSHUA JAMES

DAENERYS TODD

Some old.

And there were those among the ranks of both.

JANICE CRESNER

MEENA LALITA KUMAR

And then, there was one name, the second-to-last death on the list, which caught her attention more than any other. It grabbed her, took hold, a grip like iron on her brain, and forced her to look at its wake. It was a name she had memorized. A sequence of four letters that, in her mind, Claire carefully shaped like clay into the concept of evil incarnate.

ALEX

There was a moment of hesitation. For a moment, it seemed like a waking dream—unreal. Then, the blood-stained finger moved across the paper like a calligrapher's pen. Swiftly, it was gone. And, suddenly, there was a void where once desire and purpose had been. Claire's eyes grew wide, and she looked down at the handiwork—someone else's—still in disbelief.

ALEX

He was dead.

Claire blinked.

She had spent days of her life with a singular goal: to hunt him down and exact revenge—a poor man's justice—for his crime, some of the final days of her shortened lifespan. And now he was dead, and neither she nor Evie had lifted a finger. He had gotten himself killed in a stupid blunder by someone he had no reason to pick a fight with. He was his undoing.

There was a moral there, in the end. But it wasn't the one Claire had wanted him to face.

A rage filled her heart. She wasted so much time, so much effort, trying to turn that man into a monster—and now, neither of them would be the one to slay him. He was dead, but there could be no repose drawn, no justice enforced, only a cosmic coincidence. There was no payoff. She felt her breath quicken, her teeth clench, and all of her muscles go rigid and taut.

It wasn't fair.

It wasn't right.

It wasn't justice.

The anger burned a hole in her chest. All of it had, in the end, proven meaningless. They were not the protagonists to his antagonist; they were merely the unfortunate souls he had encountered first, stepping stones in his journey. In the end, for all they knew, he hadn't thought of them once since he had left their sight. And that infuriated her more than anything.

Claire was glad he was dead; he couldn't hurt anyone else. And that was good. But his death did not come with a reminder, an example to show others what their actions had wrought. It only poured more fuel into the flame. Its only purpose was to feed another, even greater monster, to reward their continued evils with a meal of flesh, blood, and bone.

It wasn't principle and precept that sentenced him to a well-deserved end; it was animal predation.

The simmer of vexation made the minutes tick by just that much faster. Silence ruled her whims. Anything said would inevitably end up colored by the red rage boiling through her veins. There was nothing to add to the discussion besides curt, cursory comments, and that, to her, was already more than she wanted to say. To say nothing at all was much preferred.

Claire remained hushed even as the tensions reached their precipice. Any word she dared to utter would be the breaking point. So, as Evie and Fitzroy bickered, she maintained her informal vow of silence. Just as swiftly as it formed, their alliance of convenience—without a unifying enemy to keep it fastened together—had just collapsed into nothing.

It had come from the void. It was only natural—expected, even—for it to return from whence it came.

Claire watched from a distance as the argument came to a close. Any sense of camaraderie shattered like glass. Her companion departed the group and stormed away. For now, it seemed prudent to leave her be. She bid farewell to the others and then turned and walked away. At first, she followed the path of her ally and then took a wrong turn on purpose.

Her hand tightened on the radio in her pocket, their connection. The two of them would meet again. Later, she would call her ally. If Evie answered, she would organize them to meet again; if not, she would need to find a new path. The latter possibility seemed unlikely and, to her, in equal parts abhorrent. But the other girl would decide, not her. For now, that was fine.

Her eyes caught on wisps of smoke high in the distance. Her destination, she already knew. She unfurled the map and, with its knowledge, knew that it would take a day's trip. That was fine. It couldn't be more of a waste than the past several days. So long as she found something—anything at all—it would be good enough to meet her low expectations.

Claire folded the map back up and placed it in the bag. She took a long, deep breath of frost and then let it out, a puff of smoke like a dragon, and readied herself for the long, metaphorical road that stretched before her now. After that, she began to walk, then run, one step at a time, towards the beacon of fire in the far distance. Anything would be a victory.

And she needed a victory right now.

S091: CLAIRE HAIG — CONTINUED IN "The Stele of the Vultures"
[+] PRESENT
V8 — THE DEAD OF WINTER
Relationship Thread

🕇 S021: Corbin Azinger is viewing the world in black and white — "I had shit to work towards, once. I had a future, I had dreams. I did everything I was supposed to, and it landed me here." [Adopted by AlmostInhuman]

“Someone who is determined to disbelieve something can manage to disregard an Everest of evidence for it.” - George Will

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Intention.

S031: Abhishek Panicker is leading a revolution of his own — "After all, you know me better than anyone else ever did. I'd like to keep my secrets, you know? Let them all wonder. It's more fun that way."

“The distinguishing mark of man is the hand, the instrument with which he does all his mischief.” - George Orwell

Pregame: 1, 2, 3, 4
The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Ideology.

S043: Donovan Lauer is dreaming about his victory — "I just wanted to be a winner. That's all I ever wanted—to win something for once, just once, in my life. I was tired of losing. I was tired of being a loser."

“Tex looks at me and says 'There's no 'I' in team!' I looked at Tex and say, 'There's not, but there's an 'I' in win!'” - Michael Jordan

Pregame: 1
The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Initiative.

S061: Alexander Hawthorne is trying to put his life together — "I am not afraid anymore. Because now, there is nothing—absolutely nothing—left in this life for me to be afraid of; there is nothing left for me to lose." [Adopted from Salic]

“You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity.” - Phillip K. Dick

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Industry.

S091: Claire Haig is thinking about her life story — "Because, in spite of everything, there's still a part of me that wants to believe. ... To believe that there's still something human left behind when you take our masks away. That, beneath the skin, we're not just monsters."

“The world, that understandable and lawful world, was slipping away.” - William Golding

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26

Identity.

MEANWHILE — THE CITY OF GHOSTS

██/██/████
[+] FUTURE
V9:

⛼ Damien Vásquez — “The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.” - Joseph Conrad

⬤ Rohan Sen — “Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.” - Henry David Thoreau

≋ Isaac Kea — “The word impossible has been and must remain deleted from our dictionary.” – Ingvar Kamprad

BEYOND:

∎ William Springfield — “There is nothing more remorseless, just as there is nothing more helpful, than truth.” - William C. Redfield

★ Simon Chase — “What I have done up to this is nothing. I am only at the beginning of the course I must run.” - Napoleon Bonaparte

✠ Harvey Gallant — “It is just that, in so terrible a day, and in the last moments of my life, I should discover all the iniquity of falsehood, and make the truth triumph." - Jacques de Molay

👁 Koda Silver — “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.” - Albert Einstein

◓ Edgar Clause — “We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.” - George S. Patton

☧ Adam Angelo — “Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed” - The Bible, John 3:20

Return to “The Snowfield”