Mediation

[Day 3, Private.]

Off to one side of the mine away from the former entrance and the foreman's office is a small windowless building that served as the changing room for the workers, where they would start and end their day. The changing room itself features a locker room area with lockers lining the walls and benches situated in the center. Also in the center, hanging from a set of pulleys that run along the ceiling of the room, hang articles of the miners' work clothes, boots, and helmets. These discarded clothes create an uncanny atmosphere within the room, especially at night, while also serving to obscure vision as the pulley wires have started to sag with age. Also in the building is a communal shower area.
Dogs231

Mediation

Post by Dogs231 »

And, despite all their intentions to the contrary, more time did pass. And so little was accomplished in that span. It wore on them like wind eroded the sides of the island's cliffs, the same way that seawater rusted the hulls of derelict ships. Soon, the weight on their shoulders left them sore to the bones. But they walked onward.

They found somewhere to stay, a small corner of the mines—the changing room—and endeavored to hide away for the night as they slept and recharged. The room was full of lockers, thrown open, looted, and empty. On the ground was a corpse, surrounded by a pool of blood and scattered plastic remnants smashed earlier.

They didn't know its name, only that it had died long before they arrived. The stench of iron and rot was horrid. As best they could, they ignored it and bundled her in the discarded, moth-eaten clothes of the workers that once passed through this place. Then, they carried her out, unbidden pallbearers, and placed her outside.

Though the corpse was out of sight, it was not out of mind. The two wiped the crimson, rotten blood from the walls with a grim persistence—a Sisyphean task, if you considered where they were—until they could no longer feel the taste of iron on their tongues. Then, they replaced their fetid, acrid clothes with replacements.

Still, they found no peace as they slept, only further rot and death deep within their dreams and nightmares.

S061: ALEXANDER HAWTHORNE — CONTINUED FROM "The Human Element"

Alexander awoke to the sound of the announcements—lists of names he barely remembered, people he had scarcely known. To him, they weren't quite humans. Or, more so, he had trouble remembering them as such. They were more like markers of time, grains of sand as they slipped down to the lower half of the hourglass.

He sat up, head throbbing and full of pain, throat parched. The stench of rot had again wafted back into the room, iron on the tips of their tongues. The walls did so little to block it out. His rest last night had not been restful; he had tossed and turned all night, tortured by anxieties and terrors deep within his chest.

He knew the answer as to why. None of this—their endeavor, his plans—would be tenable at this pace. And, for that matter, the consequences of their association would sure be too grave. His next question was how to solve it. And, as hard as he thought, he could conjure only one solution. It was for the best. It was mercy.

"Valentin," he said. "We need to talk."
[+] PRESENT
V8 — THE DEAD OF WINTER
Relationship Thread

🕇 S021: Corbin Azinger is viewing the world in black and white — "I had shit to work towards, once. I had a future, I had dreams. I did everything I was supposed to, and it landed me here." [Adopted by AlmostInhuman]

“Someone who is determined to disbelieve something can manage to disregard an Everest of evidence for it.” - George Will

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Intention.

S031: Abhishek Panicker is leading a revolution of his own — "After all, you know me better than anyone else ever did. I'd like to keep my secrets, you know? Let them all wonder. It's more fun that way."

“The distinguishing mark of man is the hand, the instrument with which he does all his mischief.” - George Orwell

Pregame: 1, 2, 3, 4
The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Ideology.

S043: Donovan Lauer is dreaming about his victory — "I just wanted to be a winner. That's all I ever wanted—to win something for once, just once, in my life. I was tired of losing. I was tired of being a loser."

“Tex looks at me and says 'There's no 'I' in team!' I looked at Tex and say, 'There's not, but there's an 'I' in win!'” - Michael Jordan

Pregame: 1
The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Initiative.

S061: Alexander Hawthorne is trying to put his life together — "I am not afraid anymore. Because now, there is nothing—absolutely nothing—left in this life for me to be afraid of; there is nothing left for me to lose." [Adopted from Salic]

“You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity.” - Phillip K. Dick

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Industry.

S091: Claire Haig is thinking about her life story — "Because, in spite of everything, there's still a part of me that wants to believe. ... To believe that there's still something human left behind when you take our masks away. That, beneath the skin, we're not just monsters."

“The world, that understandable and lawful world, was slipping away.” - William Golding

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26

Identity.

MEANWHILE — THE CITY OF GHOSTS

██/██/████
[+] FUTURE
V9:

⛼ Damien Vásquez — “The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.” - Joseph Conrad

⬤ Rohan Sen — “Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.” - Henry David Thoreau

≋ Isaac Kea — “The word impossible has been and must remain deleted from our dictionary.” – Ingvar Kamprad

BEYOND:

∎ William Springfield — “There is nothing more remorseless, just as there is nothing more helpful, than truth.” - William C. Redfield

★ Simon Chase — “What I have done up to this is nothing. I am only at the beginning of the course I must run.” - Napoleon Bonaparte

✠ Harvey Gallant — “It is just that, in so terrible a day, and in the last moments of my life, I should discover all the iniquity of falsehood, and make the truth triumph." - Jacques de Molay

👁 Koda Silver — “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.” - Albert Einstein

◓ Edgar Clause — “We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.” - George S. Patton

☧ Adam Angelo — “Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed” - The Bible, John 3:20

Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

((Valentin Shulgin continues from The Human Element))

The only company Valentin and Alexander had met for the past day, aside from each other, was the smashed, near-unrecognizable corpse of a girl. They had spent hours in its vicinity, almost but never quite acclimating to the aerosolized copper lingering in the air.

Yet another announcement had passed, this time marking the death of ten of their classmates. A slight deceleration, hopefully.

All of this corroded Valentin's soul, slowly but surely.

And yet somehow, the words Alexander had uttered just now were the ones that brought a chill down his spine.

"Yes?" he dared to ask.
[+] the youfs
V8:
S050: June Madison is just trying to get it together. She is going where the cold wind blows.
Previous Threads: Help I'm Alive - Come Out, Juanita, Don't Let Me Wait - Dum Spiro Spero - Everyone's Asleep In The House But Me - Daylight - keep looking forwards on paths sideways - Vultures - Ego Te Absolvo - Shawn's Marvelous Medicine - Medically Ineffective Intervention - no one knows where the ladder goes - I just can't help myself - Color In Your Cheeks - The Long Way Down - Trespasser
Pregame: When The Moon Hits Your Eye

Dead:
S069: Valentin Shulgin (adopted from yugi punished kun and salic) needs you to try your best. He's ran out of time in Далеко бежит дорога. [31/134]
Previous Threads: Murphy's Law - The Human Element - Mediation - Valentin Takes A Bath - the results of Valentin's experiment - Faire et Refaire - Well, I'm tired of losing - et Refaire et Refaire et Refaire - 28 Ghosts IV

S072: Przemyslaw Ziemiak (adopted from rc) is bettering himself. He finally got to see the stars in Blind Faith. [70/134]
Previous Threads: Romans 6:23 - Wendy House - Possession - Evening / Morning - She said, "Don't make others suffer for your personal hatred." - I daydream until all the snow is gone
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Current Theme Music: Devil Town (v1) - cavetown
Weapon: Tactical Combat Shovel
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me
Memories: Hiya sa Timog

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Current Theme Music: Play With Me - DDLC OST
Weapon: Bug-A-Salt Camofly 2.0 Insect Eradication Gun
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit
Pregame: In Vino Veritas - Shake It Out
Memories: Hayashibara Heart to Heart
Prom: Fear and Delight
Trip: Room 832: Welcome to the Witching Hour

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Current Theme Music: When You Die - MGMT
Weapon: George Hunter High School mascot costume
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Weapon: Browning Hi Power 9mm
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
G062 - Olivia Fischer prayed a thousand prayers in Ye Not [37/107]
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
Memories: Sometimes when we reach for the stars...
Weapon: Lobotomy pick.
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Pre-Game Threads: Wiping All Out - Quixotic
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
Weapon: Non-Functional Flamethrower (left in the Clubhouse)
Previous V5 Threads: Finding Center - Wish I Could Breathe - The Visionary
Memories: Offended?
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Weapon: Binoculars
Pregame Threads: Taking it to the Streets
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
new resting place for chatsig never forget 2018
give my v8 kids friends pls
Dogs231

Post by Dogs231 »

Alexander didn't meet the gaze of his companion. In the morning light, Valentin's eyes, with their gray color, seemed like spheres of ice, and their look sent a chill across him. He looked down and pulled at the collar of his dark blue dress shirt. For a moment, the words caught in his throat. Silence reigned, the room its dominion, the two of them its subjects.

Then, he cut through it. Alexander, like his namesake, took a blade to the verbal Gordian knot.

"I think we should go our separate ways for now."

Ten words summarized all his thoughts, all his fears. His manner of speaking was blunt, like a mace, but had no sharp edges of malice. His eyes, usually cool as ice, were uncertain and shook slightly, a melting glacier in a boiling sea. It was clear, despite it all, that he meant this as something for the best—and that it did not come easy to him.

"We've spent a lot of time and have accomplished less than we should have. I think it would be prudent for the two of us to cover more ground than, thus far, we have. And," he said, with a pause. "I think you will find more luck attracting others to the cause if I was not there by your side." It was the truth, though, of course, he was loath to say it.

The concern he left unsaid, though, was the direst of the lot. Above all else, he did not want to risk Valentin's life. This endeavor was dangerous. Of course, they both knew the risks—and had taken them knowingly and willingly—but some stakes were too high for his liking. Sooner or later, one of them—Alexander or Valentin—would be forced to face the fire.

Alexander would rather have it be him.
[+] PRESENT
V8 — THE DEAD OF WINTER
Relationship Thread

🕇 S021: Corbin Azinger is viewing the world in black and white — "I had shit to work towards, once. I had a future, I had dreams. I did everything I was supposed to, and it landed me here." [Adopted by AlmostInhuman]

“Someone who is determined to disbelieve something can manage to disregard an Everest of evidence for it.” - George Will

Intention.

S031: Abhishek Panicker is leading a revolution of his own — "After all, you know me better than anyone else ever did. I'd like to keep my secrets, you know? Let them all wonder. It's more fun that way."

“The distinguishing mark of man is the hand, the instrument with which he does all his mischief.” - George Orwell

Ideology.

S043: Donovan Lauer is dreaming about his victory — "I just wanted to be a winner. That's all I ever wanted—to win something for once, just once, in my life. I was tired of losing. I was tired of being a loser."

“Tex looks at me and says 'There's no 'I' in team!' I looked at Tex and say, 'There's not, but there's an 'I' in win!'” - Michael Jordan

Initiative.

S061: Alexander Hawthorne is trying to put his life together — "I am not afraid anymore. Because now, there is nothing—absolutely nothing—left in this life for me to be afraid of; there is nothing left for me to lose." [Adopted from Salic]

“You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity.” - Phillip K. Dick

Industry.

S091: Claire Haig is thinking about her life story — "Because, in spite of everything, there's still a part of me that wants to believe. ... To believe that there's still something human left behind when you take our masks away. That, beneath the skin, we're not just monsters."

“The world, that understandable and lawful world, was slipping away.” - William Golding

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26

Identity.

██/██/████
[+] FUTURE
V9:

⛼ Damien Vásquez — “The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.” - Joseph Conrad

⬤ Rohan Sen — “Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.” - Henry David Thoreau

≋ Isaac Kea — “The word impossible has been and must remain deleted from our dictionary.” – Ingvar Kamprad

BEYOND:

∎ William Springfield — “There is nothing more remorseless, just as there is nothing more helpful, than truth.” - William C. Redfield

★ Simon Chase — “What I have done up to this is nothing. I am only at the beginning of the course I must run.” - Napoleon Bonaparte

✠ Harvey Gallant — “It is just that, in so terrible a day, and in the last moments of my life, I should discover all the iniquity of falsehood, and make the truth triumph." - Jacques de Molay

👁 Koda Silver — “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.” - Albert Einstein

◓ Edgar Clause — “We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.” - George S. Patton

☧ Adam Angelo — “Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed” - The Bible, John 3:20

Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

Valentin had been expecting this. It did not hurt any less, the same way seeing an oncoming car did not lessen the destruction it would cause you mere seconds later.

He knew there was no anger behind the decision because there was a complete absence of conviction in Alexander's look, in his tone. Words that had to be said, rather than wanted to be said.

And that was worse, somehow.

Alexander came to the same conclusion Valentin had come to shortly after driving away Eden and the girl, and yet this brought Valentin no satisfaction. It felt like more of a personal failing, in that Valentin had failed to put in enough initiative on his end for any plan of theirs to come to fruition. If only he had tried more, if only he had forced Eden and the girl to stay, if only he had listened to Alexander and left the snow-covered body behind, if only, if only, if only.

He wasn't sure where exactly he had gone wrong, only that he had failed somewhere, because otherwise it would not have come to this.

There was no fighting it however. Alexander was right. Every two hours or so was a life extinguished, and at this point, they had to make the most efficient use of their time possible.

Valentin did not immediately answer Alexander. Instead, he pulled his bag towards himself, opened the zipper, dug around the contents a bit, and pulled out a map.

He jabbed a finger at the cluster of squares on the southeast side.

"Research station, two announcements from now. You must show up by then, this is non-negotiable."

He looked Alexander in the eyes.
[+] the youfs
V8:
S050: June Madison is just trying to get it together. She is going where the cold wind blows.
Previous Threads: Help I'm Alive - Come Out, Juanita, Don't Let Me Wait - Dum Spiro Spero - Everyone's Asleep In The House But Me - Daylight - keep looking forwards on paths sideways - Vultures - Ego Te Absolvo - Shawn's Marvelous Medicine - Medically Ineffective Intervention - no one knows where the ladder goes - I just can't help myself - Color In Your Cheeks - The Long Way Down - Trespasser

Dead:
S069: Valentin Shulgin (adopted from yugi punished kun and salic) needs you to try your best. He's ran out of time in Далеко бежит дорога. [31/134]
Previous Threads: Murphy's Law - The Human Element - Mediation - Valentin Takes A Bath - the results of Valentin's experiment - Faire et Refaire - Well, I'm tired of losing - et Refaire et Refaire et Refaire - 28 Ghosts IV

S072: Przemyslaw Ziemiak (adopted from rc) is bettering himself. He finally got to see the stars in Blind Faith. [70/134]
Previous Threads: Romans 6:23 - Wendy House - Possession - Evening / Morning - She said, "Don't make others suffer for your personal hatred." - I daydream until all the snow is gone
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
Dogs231

Post by Dogs231 »

Alexander had given his opinion. Valentin had given him a deadline.

He stared back at the other boy. Their eyes met for the first time since their last argument—gazes locked, swords drawn and crossed. He then looked down at the map, its contours, the little squares that represented buildings, and at the place where their next meeting—if one was to happen at all—would be. He nodded.

"I agree to your terms," he said, with grim finality, a verbal signature to their contract. He swallowed back the uncertainty and the bile. "In the meantime, I plan to go to the beach." It seemed almost silly to frame the idea like that as if it was just a day of relaxation. But the two of them both knew better than to think that.

On the prior announcements, there was one name that had struck him. It was a hunch, of course—the information was vague about details and broadly untrustworthy—but something told him that he was right. If his theories proved correct, there might be something—anything—he could salvage from it. That alone would be worth it.

"What about you?"
[+] PRESENT
V8 — THE DEAD OF WINTER
Relationship Thread

Intention.

Ideology.

Initiative.

Industry.

Identity.

██/██/████
[+] FUTURE
V9:

BEYOND:

Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

"Wherever there's people. The town, perhaps. We have a few friends to meet, after all."

There was a degree of ambiguity in Valentin's answer partly to obscure his intentions from the terrorists, and partly because he himself was not completely sure as to what to do next. He was just as clueless now as he was then, only now there were almost a couple dozen of their classmates they couldn't save. All he was betting on was that if they had a larger group to work with, then maybe they could come up with better ideas, maybe the chances of them finding their magic solution would increase. Maybe, maybe, maybe. So that's how he would approach the next two days.

And that was that. Nothing more to say, their courses set. And in two days, they would maybe, hopefully see each other again.

Hopefully.

Suddenly, he pulled Alexander into an embrace.
[+] the youfs
V8:

Dead:

[+] V7
V7:
Dead:

[+] V6
V6 Characters:
[+] V5
Dead:
[+] misc
[+] meirl
Dogs231

Post by Dogs231 »

Alexander had accounted for a multitude of reactions. Those were the considerations one had to make in advance—preparations for the inevitable. Anger, like had been shown prior; sorrow at the end of their time together; or, perhaps, the fatal, final acceptance that their paths had diverged from each other.

This reaction—a display of open affection—was not something he had expected.

For someone like Alexander, physical touch was not a custom. Other people were something to keep at arm's length—even friends, even family. He couldn't remember the last time he had felt more than the cursory brush of skin against skin. Here, though, at this moment, he did not recoil or push against Valentin.

Instead, he fell into the other boy's arms and brooked the contact. To his nerves, it felt consummately alien.

For a moment, there was a pang of fear in his heart, swirled with something far worse: a sense of hope. Like a ray of light through the storm clouds, all the darkness and all the sorrow faded away for the moment. But he did not rebuke it yet. For a moment, he clung to it, as he clung to Valentin, as Valentin clung to him.

Alexander was not lost in it, though. He still knew that, as like as not, this could be the last time the two of them would meet. After all, sunlight only lasted until the night fell. And, when the time came, darkness would rule this island again. But, vainly, he hoped against hope that it wouldn't, that the sun would never set.

An impossibility, perhaps, but one that he felt was more comfortable than the reality of the situation.

Eventually, though, all good things came to an end. Just as the sun had to fall into the horizon and the moon had to rise above, as the day had to pass into the night, the two of them had to, inevitably, separate from one another. Their small, inconsequential moment of peace and harmony was lost—but not, perhaps, forever.

Alexander looked at Valentin, words caught in his trachea. But, he knew, none were needed: enough said, enough done. The only thing left to do was move forward. So, with only another glance at his erstwhile companion, he stowed his bag, heaved it over his shoulder, and hurtled towards something he couldn't see before:

A better tomorrow.

S061: ALEXANDER HAWTHORNE — CONTINUED IN "A Matter of Faith"
[+] PRESENT
V8 — THE DEAD OF WINTER
Relationship Thread

Intention.

Ideology.

Initiative.

Industry.

Identity.

██/██/████
[+] FUTURE
V9:

BEYOND:

Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

For a number of reasons, Valentin lingered a minute or so after Alexander left.

He was making sure Alexander had well and truly left. That he was well and truly gone.

He was making sure there were no more words to be shared between them, that Alexander wouldn't double back with some important reminder or something.

He was making sure the moment was really, truly over.

Alexander's departure shook him, not dissimilar to elemantary school mornings, when his father would yank the blanket off him to wake him up: a jarring, abrupt transition from warm coziness to an unforgiving cold.

After a minute or so, he stood up, and began gathering his things into his bag, preparing for the travails that would follow.

When his things were fully assembled, he made his way to the precipice of the room before stopping.

He gazed upon his and Alexander's work, placed just outside the door.

He remembered now. Constance was her name. French, liked taking photographs, friendly enough to be on a name-to-name basis with him, not friendly enough for him and her to make contact with each other after graduation probably. Those were his cliff notes on her.

She, in a way, was part of the reason for their separation. Every further moment Valentin and Alexander spent together was a moment another one of their classmates ended up like her, ended like her.

Valentin had never been spiritual, much to his grandfather's consternation. Maybe now was the time to try. He would need all the help he could get, yeah?

His grandfather's prayers were in Russian, usually, structured, lilting in sound. But the words came not to him, and he believed it probably disrespectful to half-bake his efforts here. He would pray in a free-form manner, and hope it sufficed for the Lord.

And so he bowed his head, clasped his hands, and internally, he begged:

O Almighty God and Father,

Please lay Constance's soul to rest, and let her find the peace which she has been so unjustly deprived on here on this earth. Please lay her soul, and the souls of all the others who have been beaten, and starved, and frozen, and let them remember not their pain.

And Almighty God and Father, please help me find a way out of this forsaken island. Please help me find like-minded individuals who also seek a way out, so that we may find salvation, so that this suffering may not prolong. Please help provide the guidance and wisdom necessary for us to be good people, for us to be people to ourselves, to one another, and to you God. Please God.

And Almighty God and Father,

Almighty God and Father,

Please let me meet Alexander again.

Amen.

He made a sign of the cross, lingered a few seconds longer, and then he left.

((Valentin Shulgin continues elsewhere))
[+] the youfs
V8:

Dead:

[+] V7
V7:
Dead:

[+] V6
V6 Characters:
[+] V5
Dead:
[+] misc
[+] meirl

Return to “Workers' Changing Room (DANGER ZONE)”