Process of Elimination

[PM to Enter. Early Day 5.]

The rocky beach is formed from blocks of igneous rock of varying sizes and shapes. There is a distinct lack of sand along the shore; instead the ground is covered in pebbles and rocks dotted by clumps of seaweed. Some of the larger rock formations hold small tide pools that become distinct whenever the tide goes out. Some of the rocks get extremely slippery when wet, making navigating the beach a difficult task.
Dogs231

Process of Elimination

Post by Dogs231 »

There was a click.

Then, the bulb of the flashlight awoke. Its beam cut through the midnight darkness like a blade of light, a circular endpoint left on the face of the blanched cadaver. It hung there for a moment, a light sway in the night air, and scanned across the carcass, from head to toe, then back again. The blood on the body had already turned grey and sun-bleached.

Then, there was the sound of footsteps.

A figure, cloaked in darkness, stepped towards it. The flashlight was clasped tightly in its hand, a beacon for lost souls. One step, two steps, three steps, and the shadow was there by the side of the remains, like a mythological psychopomp. Its purpose, however, was not to guide this lost soul to the afterlife—but to keep others from meeting that fate.

S061: ALEXANDER HAWTHORNE — CONTINUED FROM "A Matter of Time"

Alexander shined the light over the livid, sea-stained face of the corpse again. There were no doubts in his mind about its former identity. Its hair had meshed with salt and sand, eyes glazed and glassy, gazing up heavenwards, face and body tautened. Its open neck, torn to shreds, unzipped from the center outwards. The rot had set in a long time before.

"Your death will mean something," he silently promised to it. "I will make that a certainty."

He passed the flashlight into his left hand, careful to keep its focus on the neck. Then, his hand darted to the sheathe at his side. His long fingers wrapped around the handle of the knife and clasped it. Then, in a deliberate and careful motion, he drew it out. He tested the point on his finger and, once fully satisfied with its sharpness, began to steel himself.

A pair of cold brown eyes fell on the band of metal around the neck of the victim. The collar had torn apart at the front-center region but remained in one singular piece. Though it was already colored matte black, faint traces of the burn contrasted, darker at the fringes. He took a short breath of air, which he held tight in his chest, afraid to let it go again.

In his head, Alexander ran through his rationale again. He needed to narrow down possibilities, and the best starting point for that would be to determine the composition of the collar. To do that, first, he intended to determine its hardness, and from there, the possibilities would narrow, and he could begin to formulate a more specific plan of attack against it.

His years of experience as an amateur engineer proved the sort of expertise he believed he needed. Years of tinkering with the same types of materials that composed the blade made it easy to ensure that he could use it as a barometer to test against other materials; it was almost elementary for him to identify the components and compare them.

The blade was composed of 7Cr stainless steel. Its indentation hardness measured around 60-63 HRC on the Rockwell "C" scale; scratch hardness measured around 5-6 HM on the Mohs scale. If he could indent or scratch the collar—or conversely, if he couldn't indent or scratch the collar—with the knife, that would ensure a confident identification of the material.

First, he put the knife to the ruined band. Then, with as much might as he could muster, he pressed.
[+] PRESENT
V8 — THE DEAD OF WINTER
Relationship Thread

🕇 S021: Corbin Azinger is viewing the world in black and white — "I had shit to work towards, once. I had a future, I had dreams. I did everything I was supposed to, and it landed me here." [Adopted by AlmostInhuman]

“Someone who is determined to disbelieve something can manage to disregard an Everest of evidence for it.” - George Will

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Intention.

S031: Abhishek Panicker is leading a revolution of his own — "After all, you know me better than anyone else ever did. I'd like to keep my secrets, you know? Let them all wonder. It's more fun that way."

“The distinguishing mark of man is the hand, the instrument with which he does all his mischief.” - George Orwell

Pregame: 1, 2, 3, 4
The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Ideology.

S043: Donovan Lauer is dreaming about his victory — "I just wanted to be a winner. That's all I ever wanted—to win something for once, just once, in my life. I was tired of losing. I was tired of being a loser."

“Tex looks at me and says 'There's no 'I' in team!' I looked at Tex and say, 'There's not, but there's an 'I' in win!'” - Michael Jordan

Pregame: 1
The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Initiative.

S061: Alexander Hawthorne is trying to put his life together — "I am not afraid anymore. Because now, there is nothing—absolutely nothing—left in this life for me to be afraid of; there is nothing left for me to lose." [Adopted from Salic]

“You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity.” - Phillip K. Dick

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Industry.

S091: Claire Haig is thinking about her life story — "Because, in spite of everything, there's still a part of me that wants to believe. ... To believe that there's still something human left behind when you take our masks away. That, beneath the skin, we're not just monsters."

“The world, that understandable and lawful world, was slipping away.” - William Golding

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26

Identity.

MEANWHILE — THE CITY OF GHOSTS

██/██/████
[+] FUTURE
V9:

⛼ Damien Vásquez — “The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.” - Joseph Conrad

⬤ Rohan Sen — “Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.” - Henry David Thoreau

≋ Isaac Kea — “The word impossible has been and must remain deleted from our dictionary.” – Ingvar Kamprad

BEYOND:

∎ William Springfield — “There is nothing more remorseless, just as there is nothing more helpful, than truth.” - William C. Redfield

★ Simon Chase — “What I have done up to this is nothing. I am only at the beginning of the course I must run.” - Napoleon Bonaparte

✠ Harvey Gallant — “It is just that, in so terrible a day, and in the last moments of my life, I should discover all the iniquity of falsehood, and make the truth triumph." - Jacques de Molay

👁 Koda Silver — “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.” - Albert Einstein

◓ Edgar Clause — “We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.” - George S. Patton

☧ Adam Angelo — “Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed” - The Bible, John 3:20

Dogs231

Post by Dogs231 »

Alexander pushed the handle down, hard, harder, hard as he could, an attack on the exterior powered by all the strength in his tautened muscles and backed by the sheer weight of his entire body. Teeth gritted and gnashed, breath cut, he felt himself buckle with the pressure as he tried his utmost to drive the tool deep into the dark core of the metal band.

A second later, though, the results came back, loud and clear: it was all for naught. There was barely an indentation to mark where the blade had struck, only a speck of revealed metal where the tip had scratched the matte black paint from the surface. But it was far too late to give up. To do so would be to admit the methodology was in error; that would not do.

So he raised the knife aloft and struck down again, and again, and again. Another sudden stab, a strike, a slice; each one shed more of the collar's soot-black skin, chipped away at its façade until its metallic face was exposed for all the world to see. But none of the attacks broke through its exoskeleton or elucidated its electronic organs to him, a mystery unsolved.

Eventually, Alexander stopped. The exertion had caused him to gasp and hyperventilate. His left hand dropped to the side; his right, through shakes, still clasped tight to the knife's handle. Then, in a slow, deliberate motion, he returned the blade to its sheath. On his knees, he sat still, exhausted from the strain and the stress, and tried to catch his breath.

A second later, a red light flashed out from the region of his neck; a harsh, grating signal tone echoed to accompany it. A manual warning from their captors—the first and, most likely, the last, that he would receive. His now-emptied right hand darted to the cold noose around his throat and held it. His long fingers wrapped around and rapped against its underside.

He rose to his feet. For a moment, he spared another glance at the body. Soon after, though, he broke eye contact; without a word, no signs of his intentions, he turned and began to walk, the destination already decided. There was motivation in each motion and ambition in every action. It was a failure, but it was not final. It was no resolution, but he still had his.

The only thing standing between them and their final liberation was 1.27 centimeters of hardened metal.

S061: ALEXANDER HAWTHORNE — CONTINUED IN "Tetradic Number"
[+] PRESENT
V8 — THE DEAD OF WINTER
Relationship Thread

🕇 S021: Corbin Azinger is viewing the world in black and white — "I had shit to work towards, once. I had a future, I had dreams. I did everything I was supposed to, and it landed me here." [Adopted by AlmostInhuman]

“Someone who is determined to disbelieve something can manage to disregard an Everest of evidence for it.” - George Will

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Intention.

S031: Abhishek Panicker is leading a revolution of his own — "After all, you know me better than anyone else ever did. I'd like to keep my secrets, you know? Let them all wonder. It's more fun that way."

“The distinguishing mark of man is the hand, the instrument with which he does all his mischief.” - George Orwell

Pregame: 1, 2, 3, 4
The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Ideology.

S043: Donovan Lauer is dreaming about his victory — "I just wanted to be a winner. That's all I ever wanted—to win something for once, just once, in my life. I was tired of losing. I was tired of being a loser."

“Tex looks at me and says 'There's no 'I' in team!' I looked at Tex and say, 'There's not, but there's an 'I' in win!'” - Michael Jordan

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Initiative.

S061: Alexander Hawthorne is trying to put his life together — "I am not afraid anymore. Because now, there is nothing—absolutely nothing—left in this life for me to be afraid of; there is nothing left for me to lose." [Adopted from Salic]

“You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity.” - Phillip K. Dick

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Industry.

S091: Claire Haig is thinking about her life story — "Because, in spite of everything, there's still a part of me that wants to believe. ... To believe that there's still something human left behind when you take our masks away. That, beneath the skin, we're not just monsters."

“The world, that understandable and lawful world, was slipping away.” - William Golding

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26

Identity.

MEANWHILE — THE CITY OF GHOSTS

██/██/████
[+] FUTURE
V9:

⛼ Damien Vásquez — “The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.” - Joseph Conrad

⬤ Rohan Sen — “Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.” - Henry David Thoreau

≋ Isaac Kea — “The word impossible has been and must remain deleted from our dictionary.” – Ingvar Kamprad

BEYOND:

∎ William Springfield — “There is nothing more remorseless, just as there is nothing more helpful, than truth.” - William C. Redfield

★ Simon Chase — “What I have done up to this is nothing. I am only at the beginning of the course I must run.” - Napoleon Bonaparte

✠ Harvey Gallant — “It is just that, in so terrible a day, and in the last moments of my life, I should discover all the iniquity of falsehood, and make the truth triumph." - Jacques de Molay

👁 Koda Silver — “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.” - Albert Einstein

◓ Edgar Clause — “We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.” - George S. Patton

☧ Adam Angelo — “Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed” - The Bible, John 3:20

Return to “Rocky Beach (DANGER ZONE)”