Danse Macabre

[Oneshot.]

The housing in the town is made up of simple two-story houses, most of these of built in the style of 70s and 80s American suburbs despite being far removed from such a setting. Many of the houses have similar layouts with some divergence: most feature a bottom floor consisting of a kitchen, dining room and living room, a second floor with a master and secondary bedroom, and a bathroom with a tub. A few of the houses have garages, but the vehicles they contained are either gone or have been rendered inoperable.

Thread Limit: 2
Dogs231

Danse Macabre

Post by Dogs231 »

S091: CLAIRE HAIG — CONTINUED FROM "A Catastrophy Played By a Symphony"

Claire stood, like a statue, in the center of the town, at the convergent intersection from which every crisscrossed crossroads and each trailing alleyway was born, from which all the roads led and to where they all concluded, like how each river's ingress is the headwater and each river's egress is the ocean. For a moment, she remained there, but after a while, she began to walk, silent save for the clink and sway of the weapon in her hand and the tightened jostle of the canvas of the bag that held her belongings. As she walked, she had no purpose to follow, only a feeling deep within—no map, no compass, nothing to guide her, any such things left as they were where they lay—metaphorically, on the road behind her.

As Claire walked, and as she watched, her eyes caught on every twist and turn of the cadavers, hanging on each mangled wrench of the bodies, every unnatural position they had found themselves in, the red or black of their lifeforce trailing out from them, a cruel mockery of the lives they had left behind. There were bodies, so many bodies, strewn about here and there and everywhere, fallen every which like leaves to the ground at the change of the seasons. At this point, she felt something but could not place it; it was buried so deep within her, primed to explode, but not here, not now, not yet—the pressure still welling up to dwell inside her chest, threatening to detonate, but emptily, as one might convey a message.

There was something she could not convey nor conceive, a feeling that her mind could almost touch and hold onto, but not entirely, a feeling that all of this was, in the most innate of ways, wrong—in the same way that a nightmare might be. And in that vein, she was shifting, shiftless, drifting, listless, through this place, as if she was dreaming, though she had never been the type of person to dream much. Something stirred within her, her soul twisting every which way as it served as a lodestone, guiding her to the vague idea of a feeling of a place as if the hands of fate themselves had deigned to compel her—to serve as a Polaris and guide her still—to the terminus of her life's story—to her destiny, whatever and wherever it was.

Once upon a time, Claire had determined that her life would end on this island. It made her wonder: why, then, was she still here? Why her? Why was she still here, still standing, still living, in this place where all others before her had fallen and met their end? What was the meaning of that?

Once upon a time, Claire decided—she had resolved to live despite it all. It made her wonder: why, then, did the idea fill her with such dread? Why did the thought of the future fill her with an uncontrollable fear like a wildfire within, stricken with such terror? What was the meaning of that?

All her addled senses could muster was a single leading question: "Why?"

The world of her mind turned and turned in circles, running up against itself in whatever direction it managed to lead itself; her body followed the wind and the whim, moving without thinking, acting without feeling—an automaton, how the essential functions, the constituent components, made her what she was in that moment, feeling like she was only a fraction of a human being. There was a mission in her movements, a mystery; nobody had ever elucidated it to her—autopilot, automatic. She continued to walk, walk, walk herself wretched, body on the verge of crumbling to fragments like a golem with its magic taken out of it. And yet, despite that, she moved, moved, moved onward, advancing unto eternity.

Her story couldn't end like this.

There had to be a moral in it somewhere.

S091: CLAIRE HAIG — CONTINUED IN "Saga"
[+] PRESENT
V8 — THE DEAD OF WINTER
Relationship Thread

🕇 S021: Corbin Azinger is viewing the world in black and white — "I had shit to work towards, once. I had a future, I had dreams. I did everything I was supposed to, and it landed me here." [Adopted by AlmostInhuman]

“Someone who is determined to disbelieve something can manage to disregard an Everest of evidence for it.” - George Will

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Intention.

S031: Abhishek Panicker is leading a revolution of his own — "After all, you know me better than anyone else ever did. I'd like to keep my secrets, you know? Let them all wonder. It's more fun that way."

“The distinguishing mark of man is the hand, the instrument with which he does all his mischief.” - George Orwell

Pregame: 1, 2, 3, 4
The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Ideology.

S043: Donovan Lauer is dreaming about his victory — "I just wanted to be a winner. That's all I ever wanted—to win something for once, just once, in my life. I was tired of losing. I was tired of being a loser."

“Tex looks at me and says 'There's no 'I' in team!' I looked at Tex and say, 'There's not, but there's an 'I' in win!'” - Michael Jordan

Pregame: 1
The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Initiative.

S061: Alexander Hawthorne is trying to put his life together — "I am not afraid anymore. Because now, there is nothing—absolutely nothing—left in this life for me to be afraid of; there is nothing left for me to lose." [Adopted from Salic]

“You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity.” - Phillip K. Dick

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Industry.

S091: Claire Haig is thinking about her life story — "Because, in spite of everything, there's still a part of me that wants to believe. ... To believe that there's still something human left behind when you take our masks away. That, beneath the skin, we're not just monsters."

“The world, that understandable and lawful world, was slipping away.” - William Golding

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26

Identity.

MEANWHILE — THE CITY OF GHOSTS

██/██/████
[+] FUTURE
V9:

⛼ Damien Vásquez — “The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.” - Joseph Conrad

⬤ Rohan Sen — “Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.” - Henry David Thoreau

≋ Isaac Kea — “The word impossible has been and must remain deleted from our dictionary.” – Ingvar Kamprad

BEYOND:

∎ William Springfield — “There is nothing more remorseless, just as there is nothing more helpful, than truth.” - William C. Redfield

★ Simon Chase — “What I have done up to this is nothing. I am only at the beginning of the course I must run.” - Napoleon Bonaparte

✠ Harvey Gallant — “It is just that, in so terrible a day, and in the last moments of my life, I should discover all the iniquity of falsehood, and make the truth triumph." - Jacques de Molay

👁 Koda Silver — “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.” - Albert Einstein

◓ Edgar Clause — “We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.” - George S. Patton

☧ Adam Angelo — “Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed” - The Bible, John 3:20

Return to “Housing”