Songtest #134: Livetest!

y'all better make some *noise*

SOTF's own Eurovision-style song contest. Submit songs that fit the theme and get mercilessly judged on your taste in music here.
Zetsu

Songtest #134: Livetest!

Post by Zetsu »

Welcome to the Live Songtest!

combine-harvester-2.jpg
combine-harvester-2.jpg (191.6 KiB) Viewed 438 times

The theme for this songtest is very straightforward; you can submit anything as long as it is a recording of a live performance. If you're not sure whether something counts as a live performance, then feel free to ask! Bonus points if the live version differs substantially from the studio version, or if there's a bunch of comments below the video saying it's "even better than the studio version," or if there flat out *is* no studio version. Bonus bonus points if you're brave enough to submit a recording wherein the audio quality is janky but the performance is just *so good* that you don't even care.

[+] copypasted rules
- submit your song via PM or discord, whichever's easier for you

- songs will be randomly divided into 1, 2 or 3 semifinals depending on turnout. if there are less than 20 submissions within 5 days, then there will only be one final round. if you're going to be away at some point in the next couple of weeks, let me know and I can try to put your song in a round when you'll be here.

- listen to every song and give points to your top 10 favorites: 12 to your favorite, 10 to your second, 8 to your third, 7 to your fourth, and so on down to 1 point for your tenth favorite. if there are less than 10 songs to vote for in a round, then simply cut off the bottom portion of the ballot (i.e. no 1 point songs, no 2 point songs, and so on)

- if your song is in a given round, you must vote that round or you'll be eliminated. if your song isn't in that round (or you aren't in the contest at all), your vote will be counted as a public vote, which counts for half points.
- the top [x] songs will move on to the final. that number depends on the number of contestants.
- repeat the process for the finals and we get a winner.

- winner gets to hold the next contest, or they can pass the job along to 2nd place if they don't want to. 2nd place can pass down to third, etc, until someone wants to host.

general song rules:
- no eurovision songs
- no reality show/competition covers
- no songs already submitted in a songtest - thank you to Dancake for the list here
- there is no penalty for length in this contest. however, if a song goes over 7 minutes, listeners aren't obligated to listen to more than the first 7 minutes of the song. so choose a long song at your own risk!

each semifinal and the final will last for three days. some rules about activity:
- if you know at the start of your semifinal that you wont be available to vote for those three days, let me know asap and I can move you to another semi, if we aren't on the final one already.
- I'll be pinging everyone who hasn't voted on discord 48 and 24 hours before the round ends.

Signups will run until Wednesday February 7th, 11:59 PM EST!

Now Taking the Main Stage

1. me
2. slam
3. tren
4. derarknight
5. Deblod100
6. Laurels
7. Fiori
8. MW
9. Dr Adjective
10. boogie
11. Chad
12. Rugga
13. pan
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

H
[+] the youfs
V8:
S050: June Madison is just trying to get it together. She is going where the cold wind blows.
Previous Threads: Help I'm Alive - Come Out, Juanita, Don't Let Me Wait - Dum Spiro Spero - Everyone's Asleep In The House But Me - Daylight - keep looking forwards on paths sideways - Vultures - Ego Te Absolvo - Shawn's Marvelous Medicine - Medically Ineffective Intervention - no one knows where the ladder goes - I just can't help myself - Color In Your Cheeks - The Long Way Down - Trespasser
Pregame: When The Moon Hits Your Eye

Dead:
S069: Valentin Shulgin (adopted from yugi punished kun and salic) needs you to try your best. He's ran out of time in Далеко бежит дорога. [31/134]
Previous Threads: Murphy's Law - The Human Element - Mediation - Valentin Takes A Bath - the results of Valentin's experiment - Faire et Refaire - Well, I'm tired of losing - et Refaire et Refaire et Refaire - 28 Ghosts IV

S072: Przemyslaw Ziemiak (adopted from rc) is bettering himself. He finally got to see the stars in Blind Faith. [70/134]
Previous Threads: Romans 6:23 - Wendy House - Possession - Evening / Morning - She said, "Don't make others suffer for your personal hatred." - I daydream until all the snow is gone
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Current Theme Music: Devil Town (v1) - cavetown
Weapon: Tactical Combat Shovel
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me
Memories: Hiya sa Timog

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Current Theme Music: Play With Me - DDLC OST
Weapon: Bug-A-Salt Camofly 2.0 Insect Eradication Gun
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit
Pregame: In Vino Veritas - Shake It Out
Memories: Hayashibara Heart to Heart
Prom: Fear and Delight
Trip: Room 832: Welcome to the Witching Hour

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Current Theme Music: When You Die - MGMT
Weapon: George Hunter High School mascot costume
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Weapon: Browning Hi Power 9mm
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
G062 - Olivia Fischer prayed a thousand prayers in Ye Not [37/107]
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
Memories: Sometimes when we reach for the stars...
Weapon: Lobotomy pick.
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Pre-Game Threads: Wiping All Out - Quixotic
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
Weapon: Non-Functional Flamethrower (left in the Clubhouse)
Previous V5 Threads: Finding Center - Wish I Could Breathe - The Visionary
Memories: Offended?
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Weapon: Binoculars
Pregame Threads: Taking it to the Streets
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
new resting place for chatsig never forget 2018
give my v8 kids friends pls
Deblod100

Post by Deblod100 »

Let me show you a REAL performance, alright..
It's so hard when your on your own
You might fall into the Forbidden Zone

[+] V9 kids
Mortimer Schuab - The creator is converted into an avatar of all. Happy to tell you that life is completely meaningless and that everyone is going to die horribly.
Emma Drakenberg-West - Rebelling against the system with the power of metal and punk music gets you by, only for a little while, unless you decide to do the right thing only by getting your hands dirty.
Joanne Martinez - She enforces the authority of the school, but even a queen bee must lose the stinger. Now, she wants to make her point clear on who rules.
Vanessa Thibodeaux - Humans and animals are both the same. The lines officially blur for a butcher who will now become the executioner.
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

RESULTS

[+] 13th Place
In 13th place, we have 23 Minutes over Brussels, performed by Suicide at Brussels, submitted by MW! It received 13 points.
[+] 12th Place
In 12th place, we have Cut You a Piece, performed by Alex Brightman (with Jay Armstrong Johnson & Emily Hughes) at Joe's Pub, submitted by Deblod100! It received 36 points, including one 8.
[+] 11th Place
In 11th place, we have The Nowhere King, performed by Derarknight at wherever he recorded this, submitted by (who else) Derarknight! It received 39 points, including a 12 and an 8.
[+] 10th Place
In 10th place, we have Orange Blossom, performed by Gardens & Villa at the Honey I'm Home Sessions, submitted by Rugga! It received 41 points, including one 10.
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

[+] 9th Place
In 9th place, we have Ievan Polka, performed by Loituma, submitted by pancapples! It received 46 points, including one 12 and one 10.
[+] 8th Place
In 8th place, we have Bohemian Rhapsody, performed by The Protomen at Exit/In, submitted by Dr Adjective! It received 61 points, including two 12's, one 10, and one 8.
[+] 7th Place
In 7th place, we have The Bard's Song, performed by Blind Guardian at the Blind Guardian Festival, submitted by Fiori! It received 63 points, including one 12 and one 8.
[+] 6th Place
In 6th place, we have Vogue, performed by Madonna at the 1990 MTV Awards, submitted by Slam! It received 64 points, including one 12 and two 8's.
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

[+] 5th Place
In 5th place, we have The Lizards, performed by Phish at Madison Square Garden, submitted by boogie! It received 67 points, including two 10's and one 8.
[+] 4th Place
In 4th place, we have Ball and Chain, performed by Janis Joplin at Monterey Pop 1967, submitted by Laurels! It received 73 points, including four 12's and one 10.
[+] 3rd Place
In 3rd place, we have Tyrone, performed by Erykah Badu, submitted by Chad! It received 74 points, including three 10's and one 8.
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

Finalists

[+] 2nd Place
In 2nd place, we have Drunk Walk Home, performed by Mitski at SXSW 2016, submitted by Mara! It received 78 points, including three 10's and one 8.

which means that in 1st place, we have, uh

um

*frowns at notes*

[+] 1st Place
In 1st place, we have No Children, performed by The Mountain Goats (and their audience) at The Bottom Of The Hill, submitted by, uh, me. It received 90 points, including three 12's, one 10, and two 8's.

Since I hosted this one, I'll be ceding hosting rights to Mara!

Stats for the stat gods

Return to “Song Contests”