Everyone's Asleep In The House But Me

One-shot: Night of Day 1. TW: suicidal ideations

The housing in the town is made up of simple two-story houses, most of these of built in the style of 70s and 80s American suburbs despite being far removed from such a setting. Many of the houses have similar layouts with some divergence: most feature a bottom floor consisting of a kitchen, dining room and living room, a second floor with a master and secondary bedroom, and a bathroom with a tub. A few of the houses have garages, but the vehicles they contained are either gone or have been rendered inoperable.

Thread Limit: 2
Maraoone

Everyone's Asleep In The House But Me

Post by Maraoone »

((June Madison continues from Dum Spiro Spero))

It was some time past midnight now, and June was the only one awake in the house.

It had been her idea. Someone had to watch out for, you know, was how June had put it to Medea. Medea, after a few seconds of thought, a frown, agreed, and also agreed to June taking first shift. She never passed up an opportunity for a few more hours of sleep. The island hadn't changed that yet, at least.

For an hour or two, she had been curled up against a wall of the living room, facing the front door, arms wrapped around her legs. Her hands no longer felt sticky. She'd been able to wash them in an ice-numb puddle of snowmelt off the path they'd taken to here. Yet, she would still open and close her hands, and she could swear to herself that she could feel the skin of her fingers adhere to the skin of her palm, that she could smell metal in the air, before she rubbed her hands together and felt nothing but frictionless, normal skin.

There was nothing to do. It made her anxious. The two of them had minimized their work for the night shift beforehand. Shut the windows, closed off the back door in the kitchen with a couch so that there was only one point of entrance and exit, the front door.

So, there was nothing to look at other than this four-panel door, white layer partially chipped away to reveal a rotting brown beneath. There was almost nothing to hear, even, not even a gust of wind. Only the occasional drip of water from the roof.

She'd tried to make a game out of breathing in and out, inhale, exhale. Her breath spiraled into the air, barely visible wisps of vapor dissipating into the cold black of the night.

In. Out. In. Out.

The first time her therapist had had June try meditation, tenth grade, their first session after the incident with the TV, it had felt like pure ecstasy. In, out, she intoned to her, and June had followed along with the languid tempo, inhaled, exhaled, coming to a sense of inner peace she had not known ever. For a couple years now, there had been this constant static in her head, a purely mental sort of tinnitus that faded and came back into focus, again and again, and that session had been the first time in a long time that she'd known anything else. And, at the time, she thought that now, now she could finally be calm. Now she could finally learn how to relax.

She managed it a few times after. Sometimes on her own, mostly with the therapist. Less and less frequently as the months and years passed by. It wasn't that she meditated less. She set time aside for that every day, just as her therapist had told her to. She was following the instructions. But the effect of those sessions, in, out, in, out, had become less reaching a destination of calm, and more pure and simple inhibition. Less reaching an inner calm, and more appearing to be calm. And, that helped too, helped keep her from verbally attacking a friend on a foul day, helped keep the peace with her mom whenever her mom snapped at her. But it didn't feel like it helped.

She wondered if she had made up that memory. That memory of calm at the first session. Some ideal paradise always just beyond the horizon. You will be calm by next month. You will be calm by next year. You will be calm in a decade's time. You will be calm when you're your mother's age. Always, you will be calm on the next page, and the next page, and the next.

All this nothing made her anxious not because of the fear of anticipation. She would hear clearly if someone tried to push up the window pane or break the glass, and she would respond then. That wasn't what scared her. It was that, in this void of stimuli, any other thought could come in to fill the space. She didn't have her phone with her. She wanted her phone with her. Counterintuitive as it was, though it caused her much stress, there was something calming about scrolling down her Twitter feed. In between the bursts of despair or rage at the latest bad news, there were cute little memes and recipe videos and little thoughts from her friends that made her smile, and for a second, she would be happy. It was a deluge, the on-and-off switch of good news and bad news, rage and mirth, so rapid-fire she didn't even have the room or space to think, just a static of thing after thing after thing and, these days, it was the closest thing to calm she had.

And she didn't have it right now.

She looked over at the sleeping form of Medea. She had it. She was calm. Having a good night's sleep, surprisingly. There was a slight smile on her face, the semblances of words she mumbled had a sort of gentle quality to them. She felt safe in June's company, somehow.

June didn't feel safe in her own company.

She'd told Medea about what she'd done to Iris, and Medea had been so quick to forgive her. You didn't mean it, she assured her.

But, if she knew that that wasn't even the first time June had thought about pushing someone down the stairs, would Medea be sleeping so soundly now?

Her therapist had disclosed to her, at the start of their first session, that if she said anything that would deem her a threat to herself or others, she would be obligated to request inpatient commitment. So, June decided not to be a threat.

It wasn't that she'd made plans for it. It was just that, if something bad happened, like if she was in a fight with her mom and her mom was shouting at her, she wanted her to shut up. She wanted her to shut up, so she would imagine shouting even louder than her, but her mom wouldn't yield, she never yielded, and she always made her feel so bad, so fucking terrible, so she imagined making her mom feel worse, scaring her into feeling worse, just one rush of anger and a flight of stairs and,

She'd described a watered-down version of that to her therapist. Just talked about quick bursts of anger, what to do when they happen. Her therapist's answer had been to first acknowledge what is happening, and then stop it once you recognize it. As if the anger was deliberate, as if it could be planned, controlled. As if you could slow down an explosion.

The first time those thoughts had happened, it had shocked her, but she pigeonholed the memory, because it was a one-off. And then it happened again, at school, at a classmate. And then again, at work, at a customer. And more, and more, and more frequently until they became what they were, about weekly. Always inhibited by her meditation sessions, in, out, in, out, but never stopped before they began. But it didn't matter. It didn't matter because they were just thoughts, and June was not a threat.

She'd never said anything about it because it was never supposed to matter.

It was never supposed to matter. Everyone had violent thoughts from time to time, she'd thought. In comedies, drivers stuck in traffic, imagining choking the life out of the driver in front who'd cut them off, even miming their hands around their neck. Irate college students, wondering what it'd be like to smother their snoring roommate in their sleep. Everyone did it. So it was fine that she did it. It was just something she was meant to swallow, these bursts of anger, just a bit of turbulence and then she'd move on from it. And then, years on from now, when she was her mother's age, when she'd finally reach the next page, when she grew up into a well-adjusted adult with a two-story house and her own restaurant and a husband and a son and daughter, when she would finally be calm, she wouldn't even remember this. All the violence, it would fade into oblivion, like all the other teenage bursts of anxiety, like all the awkward silences and overthought conversations and what could have been's and why did I say that's.

It wasn't supposed to matter.

Iris Waite was dead. Even if she survived the initial blow, the blood had been so much, the wound so severe, that there was not enough medical treatment in the world, much less on this island, to save her. Iris Waite was dead, and she had spent her last seconds screaming, terrified, betrayed by the first person she met on this island, betrayed by someone she trusted to help her out. Or maybe if she survived the initial blow, she had spent her last seconds stuffed in a barrel, slowly bleeding out, blood pooling around her head, limbs crumpled together, asphyxiating, because June didn't even have the moral integrity to face her own sin, she just stuffed it in a barrel like a broken vase.

There was no way to make up for it. No apologies or distance to be maintained or make-up gifts or promises to be better because Iris Waite was dead, and she had spent her last few moments in pain.

Come tomorrow, the announcements would state that June Madison had pushed Iris Waite off the stairs, that Iris had died of grievous head injuries, that June had killed her. They would announce that, and Medea would finally come to her senses and run for safety.

And June, she would be free to climb back up the mountain, and find the nearest cliff, and walk off. She would be free to do that, and she would no longer be a threat to anyone else.

Or,

She slowly slid to her side, head resting against the cold wooden floor.

If she went to sleep right now, someone could come in the middle of her sleep, shoot her in the head, and she wouldn't even know it.

That would be nice.

((June Madison continues in Daylight))
[+] the youfs
V8:
S050: June Madison is just trying to get it together. She is going where the cold wind blows.
Previous Threads: Help I'm Alive - Come Out, Juanita, Don't Let Me Wait - Dum Spiro Spero - Everyone's Asleep In The House But Me - Daylight - keep looking forwards on paths sideways - Vultures - Ego Te Absolvo - Shawn's Marvelous Medicine - Medically Ineffective Intervention - no one knows where the ladder goes - I just can't help myself - Color In Your Cheeks - The Long Way Down - Trespasser
Pregame: When The Moon Hits Your Eye

Dead:
S069: Valentin Shulgin (adopted from yugi punished kun and salic) needs you to try your best. He's ran out of time in Далеко бежит дорога. [31/134]
Previous Threads: Murphy's Law - The Human Element - Mediation - Valentin Takes A Bath - the results of Valentin's experiment - Faire et Refaire - Well, I'm tired of losing - et Refaire et Refaire et Refaire - 28 Ghosts IV

S072: Przemyslaw Ziemiak (adopted from rc) is bettering himself. He finally got to see the stars in Blind Faith. [70/134]
Previous Threads: Romans 6:23 - Wendy House - Possession - Evening / Morning - She said, "Don't make others suffer for your personal hatred." - I daydream until all the snow is gone
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Current Theme Music: Devil Town (v1) - cavetown
Weapon: Tactical Combat Shovel
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me
Memories: Hiya sa Timog

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Current Theme Music: Play With Me - DDLC OST
Weapon: Bug-A-Salt Camofly 2.0 Insect Eradication Gun
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit
Pregame: In Vino Veritas - Shake It Out
Memories: Hayashibara Heart to Heart
Prom: Fear and Delight
Trip: Room 832: Welcome to the Witching Hour

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Current Theme Music: When You Die - MGMT
Weapon: George Hunter High School mascot costume
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Weapon: Browning Hi Power 9mm
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
G062 - Olivia Fischer prayed a thousand prayers in Ye Not [37/107]
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
Memories: Sometimes when we reach for the stars...
Weapon: Lobotomy pick.
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Pre-Game Threads: Wiping All Out - Quixotic
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
Weapon: Non-Functional Flamethrower (left in the Clubhouse)
Previous V5 Threads: Finding Center - Wish I Could Breathe - The Visionary
Memories: Offended?
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Weapon: Binoculars
Pregame Threads: Taking it to the Streets
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
new resting place for chatsig never forget 2018
give my v8 kids friends pls

Return to “Housing”