Nothing Perpetual but Death

[Oneshot.]

Located on the second floor of The Quarters building, the sleeping quarters themselves were periodically updated throughout the operating life of the station. Initially simple rooms with a bed, desk, and end-table, the contents were improved upon over the years, though most personal touches have been removed. Each of the rooms comes off the main corridor that runs down the center of the floor and are roughly five square meters in size. The rooms all contain a single bed frame topped with a moldy mattress, a thin wooden desk with a basic plastic seated chair, and a full-length mirror hanging off the wall. The floor and the rooms themselves are all covered in a layer of dust and debris from the years of abandonment and there is a noticeable draft of cold air that flows through the floor whenever it is windy.
Dogs231

Nothing Perpetual but Death

Post by Dogs231 »

S091: CLAIRE HAIG — CONTINUED FROM "From Dusk..."

It didn't take long to rouse Claire from her slumber. Of course, there was the performative awakening—the body language that silently asked for five more minutes—but, in truth, she had only begun to drift. On an average day, she'd have started to sleep around three or four. Four hours of sleep would've been generous; eight hours was a distant dream.

She raised a hand, rubbed the rheum from her eyes, and let out a small yawn. In a more pleasant place, she would've joked about having "sleepy bitch disease," as like as not. It wasn't as funny when their lives were on the line. Claire felt an exhaustive melancholy—as she often did in her worst moments. Humor was the furthest thing from her mind.

She flashed a look at Evie. Not friendly or unfriendly per se, but an acknowledgment. The equivalent of voting "present" as opposed to "yes" or "no." A sign of recognition that the two of them did indeed exist at this moment in time and space. Then, she returned to the status quo, her default state of being; an empty frown, no teeth showing.

Claire, for a moment, stared out the windows—into the darkness. There was nothing in the air, no snow falling from the skies, no white tracers dancing in the wind. It was empty, it was dark, and it was cold. Now, she, in her heart of hearts, was a writer. To put letters on a page was a sublime feeling. This place embodied only one word, as far as she could see.

Misery. Sheerest misery—the knife's edge as it cleaved through the frostbite.

It reminded her of something: the ninth circle, the place of the utmost damned, the apostates and the renegades. Never religious, to her, it seemed a literary construct. Still, they were here. If this island was the final abode of turncoats, what did that make her? Her greatest perfidy had been that of herself, she knew.

The announcements began and drew Claire from her contemplative lull. Thus, she set to work on a plan she'd concocted during her restless night. The terrorists had confiscated everything she had before; all her notes and notebooks, the pens and pencils in her pockets. Still, she had something left to give, a way around their information blockade.

An act of war, perhaps—or an act of self-destruction. A distinction without a difference.

Claire tossed her weapon's guide on her lap and moved her index finger to her mouth. Her teeth caught the corner of the nail and tore down and away. The pain was there, dulled beyond comprehension and, above all, familiar. She'd drawn blood. Using the red, iron ink, Claire marked down the names, a crimson scrawl—a doctor's obituary.

For the spirits, those lost and forgotten, the dead, Claire crossed out their names. A single line was enough to strike their names from the page. It was so unbelievably easy to remove them from the equation of life; first knocked over like a piece in a game of chess, then effortlessly swept from the board.

ROBIN VALENTI

TRISTANA BLANCO OSUNA

ETHAN KEMP

OAKLEY YORK

ILIYA POLARIS

PIPER PUNCHEON

SPIKE HAVIGHURST

MALLORY VALDEZ

CONSTANCE BLANCHET

STEVEN DODDS

KIERA HAYES

For those who had killed their fellow man, regardless of circumstances, Claire added a line below. A single, indiscriminate mark below their names, a notch on their record. This scar on the page symbolized a warning sign. It was an ominous prophecy—a sign of things that may yet come to be. Not yet a condemnation.

PRZEMYSLAW ZIEMIAK

BETTY QUINN

JACOB LANG

JESSICA ROMERO

ARACELIS FUENTES

JEZZIE STARK

SHU HAWTHORNE

For the raven-hearted, those unquestionable executioners and slayers, Claire pressed down. A dot to the right of their name was enough. This sign was the black spot—a mark of death. It was a summons. Their names were black as soot and drenched in blood; not just the literal blood Claire used to write, but the literary blood of their victims.

KATELYN GRAVES

JANICE CRESNER

Claire squinted. Something was absent but not forgotten. Missing, but not lost. She mulled for a moment, then bit her finger again. With the new blood, she wrote one last name. It was crystal clear compared to the rest—a sign of vendetta. The four letters were charged with hatred, convicted, and sentenced to the bottom of the page.

ALEX •

In response to Evie's question, Claire hung her head low. Her eyes darted to her worn sneakers. For a moment, that remained, and then she tilted her head back up and looked at Evie. No, not just looked—stared at her, dead in the eyes. In her gaze was conviction. She did not know the destination, but she knew the path they would walk.

"This is real, Evie. There's no sense in denying that," her words were mechanical, regulated, but not cold—the verbal equivalent of a monospaced Courier font. "We can't bring them back, the dead. They're gone—forever."

Claire, a month or so before, had experienced a terrible loss. Her grandmother had become very sick. The rest of the family gathered in New Hampshire to attend, her mom included; Claire, though, had been left in Massachusetts to watch the house. A few days later, she awoke to a ringing phone and dozens of messages.

Her grandmother had died.

Claire had been asleep. Those had been the final moments of one of the best people in her life, and she had been a state away, knowing nothing. It took some time for the grief to hit her, but, of course, it did. Later, Claire was in the kitchen downstairs. In a sudden burst of emotion, she wailed and screamed like a banshee, crying until she couldn't anymore.

Her greatest regret was that she hadn't been there—hadn't had the chance to say goodbye.

"The only thing to do, I think, is to try and find our friends. Say our last farewells. And, if it comes down to it, we might have to stop people in their tracks—to draw lines that they can't cross," her breaths were quick and shallow. There was fear in her voice but also assurance. The implication, of course, was left unsaid.

Some said that it was impossible to stop the reaper when the time came for him to collect. Mythology, generally, agreed, but with a caveat; you couldn't defeat death, only defer it. Sisyphus chained up Tartaros and locked him in a chest. People only began, once more, to fall in their graves when conflict came prosaic, and Ares, the god of war, came down to intervene.

Perhaps the same concept could be applied to this game.

S091: CLAIRE HAIG — CONTINUED IN "Playtime"
[+] PRESENT
V8 — THE DEAD OF WINTER
Relationship Thread

🕇 S021: Corbin Azinger is viewing the world in black and white — "I had shit to work towards, once. I had a future, I had dreams. I did everything I was supposed to, and it landed me here." [Adopted by AlmostInhuman]

“Someone who is determined to disbelieve something can manage to disregard an Everest of evidence for it.” - George Will

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Intention.

S031: Abhishek Panicker is leading a revolution of his own — "After all, you know me better than anyone else ever did. I'd like to keep my secrets, you know? Let them all wonder. It's more fun that way."

“The distinguishing mark of man is the hand, the instrument with which he does all his mischief.” - George Orwell

Pregame: 1, 2, 3, 4
The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Ideology.

S043: Donovan Lauer is dreaming about his victory — "I just wanted to be a winner. That's all I ever wanted—to win something for once, just once, in my life. I was tired of losing. I was tired of being a loser."

“Tex looks at me and says 'There's no 'I' in team!' I looked at Tex and say, 'There's not, but there's an 'I' in win!'” - Michael Jordan

Pregame: 1
The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Initiative.

S061: Alexander Hawthorne is trying to put his life together — "I am not afraid anymore. Because now, there is nothing—absolutely nothing—left in this life for me to be afraid of; there is nothing left for me to lose." [Adopted from Salic]

“You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity.” - Phillip K. Dick

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Industry.

S091: Claire Haig is thinking about her life story — "Because, in spite of everything, there's still a part of me that wants to believe. ... To believe that there's still something human left behind when you take our masks away. That, beneath the skin, we're not just monsters."

“The world, that understandable and lawful world, was slipping away.” - William Golding

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26

Identity.

MEANWHILE — THE CITY OF GHOSTS

██/██/████
[+] FUTURE
V9:

⛼ Damien Vásquez — “The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.” - Joseph Conrad

⬤ Rohan Sen — “Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.” - Henry David Thoreau

≋ Isaac Kea — “The word impossible has been and must remain deleted from our dictionary.” – Ingvar Kamprad

BEYOND:

∎ William Springfield — “There is nothing more remorseless, just as there is nothing more helpful, than truth.” - William C. Redfield

★ Simon Chase — “What I have done up to this is nothing. I am only at the beginning of the course I must run.” - Napoleon Bonaparte

✠ Harvey Gallant — “It is just that, in so terrible a day, and in the last moments of my life, I should discover all the iniquity of falsehood, and make the truth triumph." - Jacques de Molay

👁 Koda Silver — “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.” - Albert Einstein

◓ Edgar Clause — “We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.” - George S. Patton

☧ Adam Angelo — “Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed” - The Bible, John 3:20

Return to “Sleeping Quarters (DANGER ZONE)”