Song Contest #52 - Oceansongs

SOTF's own Eurovision-style song contest. Submit songs that fit the theme and get mercilessly judged on your taste in music here.
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

people braving the stormy waves tonight:
blizz
chad
irene
LoA
mara
MeS
ohm
ricky
rugga
shiola, shiola
toben
yugi

you got three days - round ends at 2 AM EST, 2/12/20. bottom four songs will be eliminated, votes via board pm or discord, lets walk along the coast and wade into the ocean
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

[+] came here for glory but now rest beneath the unforgiving sea

12th - Pacific Ocean - Young Dolph, submitted by Chad. It got 35.5 points, including a 12 and an 8.

11th - Sea Song - Robert Wyatt, submitted by MeS. It got 40 points, including a 12 and an 8.

10th - Go Into the Water - Dethklok, submitted by Ricky. It got 46 points, including a 10, two 8's, and a public 8.

9th - The Seabirds - The Triffids, submitted by Toben. It got 52 points, including a 10 and an 8.
finals up soon
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

here we are, salty dogs. you know the shanty, so song along and sail away for our final voyage

our crew:
blizz
irene
jace
jilly
LoA
mara
me
ohm
paige
pancap
pip
polybius
rugga
shiola, shiola
skraal
yugi

deadline for final votes is 3AM EST, 2/17/20. since this is a pretty short final round, I'll end things early if we get all the votes in.
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

well, crew, we made it back. we had to brave whirlpools and the kraken and the navy and sunburn, but we're back in safe harbors, anchors down, let's divvy up the loot
[+] 16th
The Lighthouse - Interpol, submitted by Ohm. It got 38 points, including two 10's and an 8.
[+] 15th
The Mermaid - Great Big Sea, submitted by Irene. It got 38.5 points.
[+] 14th
This Sea - Voltaire, submitted by Skraal. It got 39 points.
[+] 13th
Full Fathom Five - Méav, submitted by Blizzard. It got 45 points, including a 10 and two 8's.
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

the pub carousing is in full swing now, if you need to duck away from the tavern brawl for a while maybe go and say hi to the forlorn woman waiting by the cliffs for her love, maybe bring her a nice warm stew or something
[+] 12th
The Devils Son - Jolly Rogers, submitted by Yugi. It got 45.5 points, including an 8.
[+] 11th
The Bay - Metronomy, submitted by Rugga. It got 52 points, including a 12 and two 10's.
[+] 10th
(oceans) - The Yawhg soundtrack, submitted by Mara. It got 53 points, including a 12 and an 8.
[+] 9th
Aquarium - Haken, submitted by Paige. It got 58 points, including a 12 and a 10.
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

the lighthouse illuminates the horizon, but only briefly, only in patches. sometimes you think you can catch a glimpse of a strangely tattered ship in the distance, but it's gone by the next revolution of the light. probably nothing you should be worried about.
[+] 8th
High Barbary - Storm Weather Shanty Choir, submitted by Polybius. It got 61.5 points, including a 10, an 8, and a public 10.
[+] 7th
Open Water - King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, submitted by Pancapples. It got 71 points, including a 12, a 10, and a public 12.
[+] 6th
On Melancholy Hill - Gorillaz, submitted by LoA. It got 72 points, including two 12's, an 8, and a public 8.
[+] 5th
The Wake of Magellan - Savatage, submitted by me. It got 73 points, including a 12, two 10's, an 8, and a public 12.
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

It's been a long night. The sun crests over the waves, coloring the sky beautifully. A single salty tear runs down your cheek. This................... this, is the ocean.
[+] 4th
Seven Deadly Sins - Flogging Molly, submitted by jace. It got 79 points, including two 12's, a 10, an 8, and a public 8.
[+] 3rd
Land Ho! - Lovebugs, submitted by Pip!! It got 80 points, including three 10's and two 8's.
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

the salty dog in the corner is yelling that he'll keelhaul me if i don't get on with it so here's your winner

YOUR WINNER

IS............................................
[+] INSIDE THIS CHEST OF LOOT
THE OCEAN, BY AGAINST ME! - SUBMITTED BY SHIOLA

It got 97 points, including three 12's, a 10, two 8's, and a public 5.

your second place was

Watching the Boats with my Dad - Buckethead, submitted by Jilly! It got 83.5 points, including three 12's and two 8's.
thanks for setting sail with me, everyone, i enjoyed all your submissions! on to the next adventure
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

Shiola

Post by Shiola »

Thank you for the votes everyone! Ocean's one of my favorite songs period, though admittedly I mostly picked it because it was the first thing I thought of. I'll be glad to host the next songtest, the theme of which shall be:

Travelling

Basically this means to walk, drive, fly, take a train, go on an epic journey to, taking a vacation, whatever. The only caveat is that when you submit a song, you must specify the type of travel. It can be vague or specific. So you could submit

[Song] - "Driving"

or

[Song] - "Driving Back Home Right After A Breakup at 3:00AM"

whatever tickles your fancy. Feel free to submit your suggestions to me via discord or board PM, I'll have the thread up in the morning as I have to sleep now.

Return to “Song Contests”