Mistake

Private, Days 5-6

The research lab is one of the largest buildings in the research station complex. It contains multiple rows of tables for experiments to be conducted on and different cupboards that contain a large variety of equipment and tools, though as with the rest of the island anything resembling weaponry has been removed. There is also a fume hood pushed up against one of the walls of the room and a set of incubators.
Ryuki

Mistake

Post by Ryuki »

(Karen Nguyen, continued from Guilt)

Day five came and went, and Karen was still hunkered down in the research lab. Maya was still here, while Amy and Prii went off somewhere else. Sure enough, Ashlee's name was mentioned among the dead, and Han's among the killers. Just how many students were left on this island? How ever many alive there were, Karen was glad to be among them.

Karen looked over to Maya, who still had blood on her hands. Maya's name hadn't been mentioned on the fifth day's announcements. Wanting answers, and to clear the air, Karen decided to speak up.

"So, what happened?," she asked, "Why was there blood on your hands?"
[+] V9
Felicity "Flick" Franklin- Aspiring Chef
Wallace "Wally" Whitaker- Theater Guy
Donald "Don" Douglas- Gamer Geek
Taylor Turner- Tennis Tomboy
Simon Smith- Horror Nerd
[+] Past Characters
V8
Dominiqua Ashmore
Gwendolyn "Wendy" Kennedy
Karen Nguyen
Chester Folk

V7
Image Ned Jackson
Image Yuki Hayashibara
Image Zachary Beck
PlatFleece

Post by PlatFleece »

(Maya Press continued from Guilt)

There was barely any sleep that she got earlier, in fact, she could only remember bits and pieces of a dream. And when she dreamed, all she could dream about was Shannon's face, the last thing she saw of her when she came to see. She didn't know seeing someone dead in real life like that, someone she got to know, would haunt her so much.

When Karen asked her, she was barely paying attention. She just stared at it again, having woken up (or more accurately, hadn't been able to sleep at all) for a while now.

"S-Shannon..." was all she could say.
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

Shannon? As in Shannon Choi? From what Karen could recall, Shannon had been killed by Han. That bitch had been busy since the last time Karen saw her. Perhaps Maya saw it happen, and that’s why she seems so spaced out.

“Oh, I see,” Karen said, “I’m sorry you had to see that.”

Nighttime came and went, and the two remained in the research lab. There wasn’t much talking between the two girls. Karen figured Maya still needed some time to process what happened to Shannon.

The next day, the announcements awoken Karen from her sleep. A couple things to note were Jessie Stark’s name being mentioned twice as a killer. The second note, was that Jessie had killed Prii. It felt as though Karen had just met him and Amy, and now he was gone. Hopefully, Amy was still okay.

“At least the lab is still safe,” said Karen.
[+] V9
Simon Smith- Horror Nerd
[+] Past Characters
V8
Dominiqua Ashmore
Karen Nguyen
Chester Folk

V7
Image Ned Jackson
Image Yuki Hayashibara
Image Zachary Beck
PlatFleece

Post by PlatFleece »

Maya had already washed some of the blood off by then, but the feeling of it still lingered, and she still couldn't let it go.

"Is it?" Maya responded, half-heartedly. "She just ran away after it happened," Maya suddenly said. "Didn't really have any reason to... kill... her."

She took out the water bottle, Shannon's water bottle that she took from her body, looted from it. The word lingered in her mind. She hadn't drank from it, only drinking from her own. Guilt and fear filling her. It wasn't as though she wanted this feeling, but it kept haunting her.
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

“I watched Han kill someone right in front of me,” Karen said, “It figures she would murder again.”

Karen got up to rummage through her bag for a water bottle and some bread. Even in a life or death situation, she still got hungry. As she bent down to go through her bag, a loud, metallic thud echoed through the lab.
[+] V9
Simon Smith- Horror Nerd
[+] Past Characters
V8
Dominiqua Ashmore
Karen Nguyen
Chester Folk

V7
Image Ned Jackson
Image Yuki Hayashibara
Image Zachary Beck
PlatFleece

Post by PlatFleece »

There it was.

Another weapon. A gun.

"...W-Why do you have that r-ready on you?" asked Maya, a little shell-shocked still.
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

“Ah! Sorry,” said Karen, surprised by the gun falling out of her pocket, “This was my assigned weapon. I don’t intend on using it anytime soon.”

Karen picked up the gun. She looked over to Maya, who looked shaken up by the presence of the weapon. She put the gun aside on the table, hoping to diffuse the situation.

“Han stole it from me,” said Karen, “I won’t let it fall into the wrong hands.”
[+] V9
Simon Smith- Horror Nerd
[+] Past Characters
V8
Dominiqua Ashmore
Karen Nguyen
Chester Folk

V7
Image Ned Jackson
Image Yuki Hayashibara
Image Zachary Beck
PlatFleece

Post by PlatFleece »

Maya looked at the gun. Fear took her body's hold. Dangerous weapons are what caused people to die here, and nobody would've had proper gun training. The gun fell out of Karen's pocket just now. She could kill someone, like herself... or Maya. It was the stress, most likely, but Maya had to gain control somehow.

"Maybe we should j-just... keep the weapon out somewhere." she approached the gun and reached out for it. "I-It's not safe to just put it in your back pocket."

Why did she have to be stuck with a useless nothing of a weapon while everyone else had things that could kill people?
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

Maya was reached for the weapon. With how on edge she must be, Karen didn’t want to keep anything too dangerous out in the open. Karen put her hand on the gun.

“That’s okay!,” Karen said, hastily, “I can keep it safe. You can trust me.”
[+] V9
Simon Smith- Horror Nerd
[+] Past Characters
V8
Dominiqua Ashmore
Karen Nguyen
Chester Folk

V7
Image Ned Jackson
Image Yuki Hayashibara
Image Zachary Beck
PlatFleece

Post by PlatFleece »

"N-No, I-I really don't think any of us should have it until we need it, j-just let me store it somewhere--"

She was panicking, and she really didn't think about it. Her fear of the weapon had taken over, and she had hurriedly tried to pull the gun away from Karen again. The tug-of-war between the two must've made one of their fingers slip. She didn't know whose, but it didn't matter in the end.

BANG!!!

Strange. She didn't really feel the pain, only the warm spreading wetness across her body, and the coldness that followed after.

"...Karen...?"

And for the first time since she came to this island, she felt relaxed.

S124: Maya Press: DECEASED
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

"Maya! Don't!," shouted Karen.

Maya tried to pry the gun from Karen's hands. The two were fighting over it like a pair of toddlers fighting over a toy. They had to stop this before--

BANG!!!

Stunned, Karen could only watch as Maya fell to the ground, with a red stain forming across her torso.

"...Karen...?"

Those were her last words before she succumbed to her wound. Karen was too stunned to say anything. She slumped to her knees, tears streaming down her face.

_____

Hours must have passed before Karen regained consciousness. She didn't know what day it was. All she knew was that she was still alive, but Maya wasn't. Karen looked over to Maya's body. She couldn't leave her like this. Karen removed her blazer and covered Maya's corpse.

"I'm so sorry," she muttered, sorrowfully.

Afterward, Karen decided to take whatever was left of Maya's food supply. No need to be wasteful. She put her long coat on and stuffed her gun in her bag. With that, she took her leave.

(Karen Nguyen, continued elsewhere...)
[+] V9
Simon Smith- Horror Nerd
[+] Past Characters
V8
Dominiqua Ashmore
Karen Nguyen