Songtest #129: Return of the Fresh Meat

It's what's for dinner

SOTF's own Eurovision-style song contest. Submit songs that fit the theme and get mercilessly judged on your taste in music here.
Laurels

Songtest #129: Return of the Fresh Meat

Post by Laurels »

Hello!

I am Laurels, and I have been passed the role of Songtest Host for this next round!

We've been doing Songtests for six years now, and it seems like everything has been done! However, even after 128 previous songtests and over 2,700 songs submitted, there's still plenty of fertile ground to cover. Therefore, I think it's time to revisit one of my old themes:

This songtest's theme is...

THE FRESH MEAT TEST: PART TWO

Yes, we're bringing back Songtest #43 for this one. This one is simple: you must submit a song from a musician or band who has never once appeared in a past songtest. If they've appeared even once, they're ineligible. Let's highlight those who need their time in the sun.

You will need to consult the Master Songtest sheet to choose your songs. Like in the previous Fresh Meat test, there are some specific rules for what can and can't be submitted, so I've copied them here:
[+] Rules for finding your meat
- What counts as a "previously submitted" act is simple: any artist/act that has had at least one song submitted in the past is forbidden from entry.

- If a song is a musician and a featured artist, featured artists count as previously submitted. This means if a past submission was something like "Aesop Rock feat. John Darnielle", then neither Aesop Rock nor John Darnielle can be submitted. It doesn't matter if there has been no John Darnielle song submitted before, their work is forbidden because they are tied to the Aesop Rock submission from the past.

- Band submissions count for all members of the band at the time the song previously submitted was released. If any act went solo after, then the solo act's songs are forbidden from submission. For example, because The Beatles has been submitted in the past, you can't submit any of John, Paul, George, or Ringo's solo work, even if none of their solo work has been submitted in the past. However, if only a solo act previously associated with a band has been submitted but not the band itself, then the band can be submitted because the band and the solo act would be considered different acts. Ex. If a Phil Collins song appeared in the past, but not a song by Genesis, then Genesis can be submitted. At the same time, if a band has rotating members, then songs are excluded as long as the previously submitted songs were released with the same band name. Ex. Fleetwood Mac has had numerous members, so any song released by "Fleetwood Mac" or its individual members would be forbidden.

- In the case where a song came from a soundtrack or compilation album, I am going to be a bit more lenient. If a song was previously submitted by the name of the soundtrack or musical, I will be looking at the artists. This means that individual composers for soundtracks can be excluded, but any insert songs by other artists would count (ex. For a fictional SOTF video game soundtrack, if an instrumental by composer Alexia Morgan was submitted, any Alexia Morgan songs would be excluded, including her work on other soundtracks. If the SOTF soundtrack featured a song by guest artist Bubba Dover, then as long as no other Bubba Dover songs were submitted, then Bubba Dover can be submitted for this contest, including his song from the SOTF soundtrack). This also works in vice versa, where Bubba Dover songs previously submitted would exclude anything from soundtracks, but if no Alexia Morgan instrumentals have been submitted, then Alexia Morgan songs can be submitted. Otherwise, I won't forbid entries solely based on soundtracks and compilations by themselves (ex. If a past entry was listed by the title of the work it came off, then that doesn't negate the entire soundtrack/compilation as long as the other rules are met i.e. "Dark Souls OST" may be submitted as long as the previous submission was not either 1. an instrumental piece by a composer or 2. an insert song listed on the track by a different artist. If the song doesn't fulfill either of those requirements, then anything else from "Dark Souls OST" can be submitted).

- If an artist appeared in a previously submitted song as an uncredited artist, I will not forbid them because they are not listed in the final track listing. Plus, that would also be a headache to look for any uncredited vocals or to exclude people for being backup artists.

- I am basing this off the artist/band/act that performs the song and is listed with the track. I am not looking deeper into production or anything beyond that as that would be too much of a headache. For the most part, I'll just be looking at album listings on websites for verification.

- If we happen to get multiple submissions this contest from the same artist who has never previously appeared, that will be permitted (ex. If there are two songs by the Peyote Coyote submitted this contest and no Peyote Coyote songs have appeared before, both songs will be approved). It's unlikely, but it's something I won't be too hard on.

- I will double check all submissions and give approval before I consider them officially submitted for a contest. If you think your submission may fall into conflict with any of the above rules, you are free to debate its availability for submission, although the final decision will be mine.

- I will amend any of the above conditions if there is too much confusion or if some of the rules make it difficult to submit anything.
And for those who need them, here are the normal songtest rules:
[+] Regular Roolz
- submit your song via PM or discord, whichever's easier for you

- songs will be randomly divided into 2 or 3 semifinals depending on turnout. if you're going to be away at some point in the next couple of weeks, let me know and I can try to put your song in a round when you'll be here.

- listen to every song and give points to your top 10 favorites: 12 to your favorite, 10 to your second, 8 to your third, 7 to your fourth, and so on down to 1 point for your tenth favorite.

- if your song is in a given round, you must vote that round or you'll be eliminated. if your song isn't in that round (or you aren't in the contest at all), your vote will be counted as a public vote, which counts for half points.

- the top [x] songs will move on to the final. that number depends on the number of contestants.

- repeat the process for the finals and we get a winner.

- winner gets to hold the next contest, or they can pass the job along to 2nd place if they don't want to. 2nd place can pass down to third, etc, until someone wants to host.

general song rules:
- no eurovision songs
- no reality show/competition covers
- no songs already submitted in a songtest
- there is no penalty for length in this contest. however, if a song goes over 7 minutes, listeners aren't obligated to listen to more than the first 7 minutes of the song. so choose a long song at your own risk!
Sign ups will run until Saturday, October 28th at 2 pm EST Please send me songs on board PMs or Discord DM.

Let's eat some meat!

Entrants:
1. Laurels
2. Fiori
3. Carlisle
4. DerArknight
5. Dr. Adjective
6. Professor Fether
7. AnimeNerd
8. Maraoone
9. Pancapples
10. Lord of Awesome
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

In!
[+] the youfs
V8:
S050: June Madison is just trying to get it together. She is going where the cold wind blows.
Previous Threads: Help I'm Alive - Come Out, Juanita, Don't Let Me Wait - Dum Spiro Spero - Everyone's Asleep In The House But Me - Daylight - keep looking forwards on paths sideways - Vultures - Ego Te Absolvo - Shawn's Marvelous Medicine - Medically Ineffective Intervention - no one knows where the ladder goes - I just can't help myself - Color In Your Cheeks - The Long Way Down - Trespasser
Pregame: When The Moon Hits Your Eye

Dead:
S069: Valentin Shulgin (adopted from yugi punished kun and salic) needs you to try your best. He's ran out of time in Далеко бежит дорога. [31/134]
Previous Threads: Murphy's Law - The Human Element - Mediation - Valentin Takes A Bath - the results of Valentin's experiment - Faire et Refaire - Well, I'm tired of losing - et Refaire et Refaire et Refaire - 28 Ghosts IV

S072: Przemyslaw Ziemiak (adopted from rc) is bettering himself. He finally got to see the stars in Blind Faith. [70/134]
Previous Threads: Romans 6:23 - Wendy House - Possession - Evening / Morning - She said, "Don't make others suffer for your personal hatred." - I daydream until all the snow is gone
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Current Theme Music: Devil Town (v1) - cavetown
Weapon: Tactical Combat Shovel
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me
Memories: Hiya sa Timog

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Current Theme Music: Play With Me - DDLC OST
Weapon: Bug-A-Salt Camofly 2.0 Insect Eradication Gun
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit
Pregame: In Vino Veritas - Shake It Out
Memories: Hayashibara Heart to Heart
Prom: Fear and Delight
Trip: Room 832: Welcome to the Witching Hour

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Current Theme Music: When You Die - MGMT
Weapon: George Hunter High School mascot costume
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Weapon: Browning Hi Power 9mm
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
G062 - Olivia Fischer prayed a thousand prayers in Ye Not [37/107]
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
Memories: Sometimes when we reach for the stars...
Weapon: Lobotomy pick.
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Pre-Game Threads: Wiping All Out - Quixotic
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
Weapon: Non-Functional Flamethrower (left in the Clubhouse)
Previous V5 Threads: Finding Center - Wish I Could Breathe - The Visionary
Memories: Offended?
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Weapon: Binoculars
Pregame Threads: Taking it to the Streets
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
new resting place for chatsig never forget 2018
give my v8 kids friends pls
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Extending deadline for submissions to 2 pm EST tomorrow, 10/29.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Alright, the meat has been delivered and thawed, so let's see what's on the butcher's block today:

As usual, give 12 points to your favorite, 10 points to your second favorite, 8 to your third, and then 7 to 1 for the rest.

Deadline for this Songtest is Thursday, November 2nd at 6 pm EST. Anyone who fails to submit their song by then will be disqualified. Note: due to some personal matters, I will not be extending the deadline for this contest, so this is a hard deadline.

Let's get this roast a cookin'!
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Ok, now that we've all gotten our fill of meat, it's time to clear the plates and share the results. Let's see what's left!

Results

[+] DQs
my ex's best friend by Machine Gun Kelly ft. Blackbear. It was submitted by AnimeNerd and received 22 points. It would have placed 12th.

Bottom of the River by Delta Rae. It was submitted by Zimikyu and received 57 points, including a 12 and an 8. It would have placed 5th.
[+] 10th place
BlingBlingBling by SexySushi. It was submitted by Maraoone and received 22 points, including a 10
[+] 9th place
Once in a Lifetime by Petit Chavel. It was submitted by Professor Fether and received 31 points, including two 8s.
[+] 8th place
Sane by Fozzy. It was submitted by Fiori and received 35 points, including a 10 and an 8.
[+] 7th place
Better Off Alone by Alice Deejay. It was submitted by Pancapples and received 42 points, including a 12 and an 8.
[+] 5th place - tie
The Hero by Nathan Wagner. It was submitted by DerArknight and received 53 points, including a 10 and an 8.

Bags by Clairo. It was submitted by Dr. Adjective and received 53 points, including a 10 and an 8.
[+] 4th place
Drifter by toconoma. It was submitted by Slam and received 63 points, including two 12s, a 10, and an 8.
[+] 3rd place
Brittle Bones Nicky by Rare Americans. It was submitted by Lord of Awesome and received 64 points, including three 12s and a 10.
[+] Runner-up
Alive by The Scarlet Opera. It was submitted by Carlisle and received 67 points, including a 12, two 10s, and two 8s.
Which means our winner is...
[+] Winner
Orange Show Speedway by Lizzy McAlpine. It was submitted by Me and received 71 points, including two 12s and two 10s.

Thank you to everyone who voted. I will be ceding hosting rights to Carlisle, who is free to accept the role or pass it down the line until someone agrees.

Thank you all for coming to my barbeque!
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Oh, and here's the stats.

Return to “Song Contests”