Bible Discussion Study Meeting

Or, The Wappening. Christian Club, Open

The classrooms at John Endecott Memorial Academy are located along the interior side of the corridors and while some of them feature the same slippery lacquered floor as the corridors others instead have a restored wooden floor, part of a restoration project that was never fully completed before the school went public. The classrooms themselves have windows that look out into the corridors where light from the corridor windows filters in. Due to the original construction of the building, not all of the classrooms are a uniform size. But they are all close enough in shape to be useful for most regular classes.
Gundham

Bible Discussion Study Meeting

Post by Gundham »

((Juanita Reid continued from Round 1: Fight!))

Juanita cautiously pushed open the door to the first-floor classroom that the Worship and Prayers club used for their meetings. She hadn't been attending as much as she would have liked to recently, homework had been pretty killer and she'd been trying to hit the gym after class more often. But Mal Valdez had sent out an urgent email asking all members to attend an urgent meeting after school, saying only that there was a very serious issue that had come up, and she needed everybody's input. Juanita couldn't think of a good reason not to attend, so she figured she might as well show up and see what the hubbub was about.

It looked like Juanita wasn't the first person to arrive. A few other students, mostly regulars, were chattering amongst themselves, and the air thrummed with a sort of foreboding anxiety that suggested that nobody really knew what was going on. She took a seat at an empty desk off to the side of the room, and tried to look piously concerned while she waited for the meeting to be called to order.
V8 Characters:

Juanita Reid
Rebekah Hayes
Karin Han
EXTREME STEVE Dodds
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

((Mal Valdez start))

"Oh, thank you so much for cominnnggg" she said, the last word going higher and higher up in pitch until it disappeared. She moved forward and hugged Juanita in a way that felt insubstantial, like not much strength had been put behind the hugging grip.

She let the girl go and clapped to the beat of "Shave and a Haircut, two bits" to get the assorted chatter to die down so that her soft voice could be heard.

"Hello, everyone. Thank you so, so much for attending. I know that we all have things that we need to get to so I'll try not to run too long." She clasped her hands together tightly in front of her chest and smiled. She looked down at some note cards in front of her.

"Well, it seems that we've had a spike of orders from the student population for our club affiliated merchandise like sweatshirts, pins, hats, bookmarks, and totes. Our orders are typically pretty low since we normally only get them now and then from members. But the volume of orders placed would create a surplus that outstrips what we normally make in our usual fundraising efforts in a fraction of the time," she said, looking up from the note cards and no longer smiling.

"However," she continued, "it's my opinion that they want to order these things because of a recent single called W-A-P released by Cardi B which is...." She stopped and looked up at the ceiling, twisting the thumb of her left hand with her right hand. "Um...you know...it's -- about...lusty material," she sputtered finally. "So I'd really like to discuss what the club feels about this. The money could be used to do a lot of good for the community, yes, but is it money we should accept? Should we make it a requirement that you need to attend a few meetings before ordering merchandise? Please, if you have an opinion, you can have the floor."
Cicada

Post by Cicada »

((Soo-Bin Kim Reyes start))

Hello
ever one
everyone. Thank you
so much for
attending.
IKnow
Know

I know that
well
we all
have things that
we neeb
knead

we need to
getto
get to so I'll try
not to run
too long.

The WAP secretary, appointed not elected for being the fastest and most accurate writer that was interested in being forced into doing the job. There were definitely people who didn't need to microscopically pause every third word to consciously nudge her pencil into doing the correct thing, and who also didn't need to feel as milk for a lactose intolerant every time she had to correct herself.

Soo-bin diligently finished Mal's spiel, her fingers protractor-like as she fought an infinite number of slips and warbles to make sure her handwriting was professional. Legible was not good enough- hadn't been for years. Her phone sat on her desk passively recording- after all WAP meetings this year so far she had a ritual of double checking. It was one thing to not actually care that much, but another thing entierly for people she respected to know that she didn't.

She glanced sidelong at her friend, the green of her eyes narrowing in a dangerously tiny grin, intended just for that one other pair of eyes she was pointing it at.

That--song--released--last--year--? How--does--someone--miss--? Head--up--bible--?

Much as Soo-bin's ears worked perfectly her hands and eyes were all the more conversational. Probably too much to hope Karin would ever get any more skilled at ASL than she already was, but it was nice practice either way,
carduinal-cyn

Post by carduinal-cyn »

((Dave Dearborn: Pregame START))

David Dearborn had seen this day coming for a long, long time. Cardi "Certified freak, seven days a week" B and Megan Thee "Make him feel like he cheating" Stallion had cooked up the anthem of lust for an entire generation, with clever lyrics, a catchy backing track, a hint of blasphemy and a heaping helping of seduction. No small task to stare down the barrel of. But Dave was the son of a pastor, and the vice president of Worship and Prayer to boot: there was no choice but to respond. He raised his right hand very politely, as if he were still in class, before he cleared his throat and spoke.

"If you ask me, there's no reason to have a requirement like that," he began. "Sorry, Mal. It just comes off a bit... desperate to me. If we have to tell people 'they can buy our merch, but they have to join us first', they won't come because they're interested in God's work. They'll only be here to get what they paid for, and then dip out."

"But we can still make some money, and bring in a few new people along with it. A public event would do it. Something like a charity raffle, maybe, and the winner gets some exclusive Worship and Prayer goods. We can go to some other events too, or collaborate with other clubs that donate to good causes. We have to get the word of the Lord out, and not let ourselves be tempted by a little greed."

The big man sat back in his chair with a satisfied smile, happy to have made a silk purse from the seductive songstresses' metaphorical ears. Perhaps he sounded a bit fundamentalist, but that wasn't the point. No one likes a sellout, after all.
Dave Dearborn [S066] is ready to rock the house!
Pregame: 123
V8: 1

Callie Zhou welcomes you to the mountaintop!
Pregame: 1234
V8: TBD
[+] Upcoming characters
There doesn't seem to be anything here.
[+] Past characters
There doesn't seem to be anything here.
RC~

Post by RC~ »

((Przemyslaw Ziemiak Pregame Start))

Przemek liked attending meetings, he liked the people in there after all. The WAP was like a family to him, in a way. He had no problem going there spontanously after having received the email. It was convenient for him that there was not too big of a break between his last class and this meeting. It was just an hour where he hung out in the cafeteria and chatted with a couple of friends.

He was a fan of rap, so of course he heard the WAP song on the radio and at first he found it to be a funny coincidence that they named the song just like their club's acronym. Until he listened to it fully and understood what it stood for. He already knew that Nicki Minaj was a wack rapper, having ruined several Kanye songs before. He never heard of Megan thee Stallion before, but he was shocked about how vulgar and dirty her lyrics were. Kids could hear that on the radio. It was alarming, really.

But that wasn't the concern right now, now the deal was merch, and honestly Przemek wasn't sure whether he agreed with Dave. He thought that Mal's suggestion was a clever idea. It was better to know the people beforehand a little bit, before giving them their official goodies. They wouldn't want to risk their name being tainted.

"Hm," he spoke softly. "I think it would be great to meet the people who are interested. It would also be a good way to recruit new people who are interested."
Reading Guide
[+] Personal Progress
V1: 100%
V2: 100%
V3: Der Metzgermeister
V4: 2%?
V5: 70%?
V6: 90%?
V7: The Sky is Falling
V8: 0%
Gundham

Post by Gundham »

Juanita frowned. She didn't listen to the radio much, so she'd had no idea that WAP was a thing until she'd made the mistake of wearing her club sweater to school and gotten a few rude comments. Taking it off hadn't been an option (she'd worn a spaghetti-strap tank top underneath to stay cool, and it would've... drawn attention) and when she tried turning it inside out so the letters were backwards, it looked silly and someone had called her a "Pet Ass Wussy." She'd eventually spent the whole day with her arms crossed over her chest, like she was a middle manager at WalMart disapproving of someone's toothpaste stacking technique. That had been a bad day.

She mulled it over a bit. Was it really a good idea to have other kids at school walking around with that kind of message on their clothes, even if it was done with good intentions?

"I'm not sure that forcing people to attend is the right answer," she said honestly. "If they're the kind of person that wants to go around advertising a song like that, I don't think that they're going to take the club seriously. They'd probably get bored or be disruptive, and I feel like it'd be a negative influence on us more than it'd be a positive influence on them. I'm not sure that it's a great idea for us to profit off of something like this, but if we do do it, then I think we'd be better off just selling the merchandise and using that as an excuse to start conversations about the club and what it's about, and invite people in rather than forcing them."
V8 Characters:

Juanita Reid
Rebekah Hayes
Karin Han
EXTREME STEVE Dodds
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Mal glanced down at her treasure scratching away at her notepad. She wasn't sure why she didn't take notes with a laptop or something, but far be it for her to complain (to someone's face). She smiled pleasantly down.

I will burn this whole building to the ground.

"No, I think you misunderstand. I'm not proposing that we use this as a recruitment opportunity. I don't want to increase membership -- I mean, if we get more members that's great, but I don't think there's anything wrong with our current numbers. I just want to stop people who are NOT part of the club to buy our merchandise! I figure most people wouldn't come to a meeting just to play their dumb -- thing, thing they are doing buying our stuff -- so only people here who come would buy it!"

Her voice was delicate with a hint of urgency to it. She tried to smile at the end of her ramble, but her hands were still clenched together, twisting her fingers today.

"They're making of fun of us, of Jesus."
Gundham

Post by Gundham »

((Karin Han continued from elsewhere))

Head -- up -- somewhere, Karin Han signed to Soo-Bin, rather poorly. Then she turned her attention back to the matter at hand. Karin didn't dislike the Christian club. She did actually believe in Jesus, because aliens existed and Jesus was as good of an explanation as anything else. Karin and Jesus got along fine, since He would forgive her evils at weekly prayer time and then she had six other days to amuse herself in. Club itself was all right - some of the kids could be holier-than-thou, and some were too uptight to be entertaining, but even during boring meetings, it was a good excuse to practice her signing with Soo-Bin. And it was always fun to speak up during prayer request time and say, "I think we really should pray for the kids in our school who are struggling with latent homosexuality," while looking meaningfully at Juanita Reid. But on days like today? She just couldn't pass up the opportunity to stir the pot a little.

Karin shook her head sadly, steepling her fingers as an expression of piety. "Making fun of people is terrible, I think we can all agree on that," she said, completely straight-faced. The fact that she didn't burst into flames from the sheer hypocrisy of the statement would probably have caused lesser folks to stop believing in Jesus all together.

"But I think that we can't just play defense on this one. We need to reclaim some ground for Jesus here. I propose that our club write our own, clean lyrics to that song and perform it, so that we can take our acronym back!"
V8 Characters:

Juanita Reid
Rebekah Hayes
Karin Han
EXTREME STEVE Dodds
Cicada

Post by Cicada »

Even paying rapt attention that twisted jumble of fingers Karin had tried to talk with had been hard to parse. Split focus and Soo-bin's brain needed a brief reboot. Love tap on the power button and she was back to almost functional. She followed Karin's gaze... was she accusing that other girl of something? Miss Reid, a name Soo-bin only recalled rote, not through actual emotion attached to the syllables.

Karin would, of course. She'd ask about that particular grape vine later, when the time in the day was best for fermented drinks under the barely existent Massachusetts sun.

The club secretary continued to take minutes dutifully, expecting some form of reproach for her friend's audacious suggestion. In a corner of the page nestled under the club notes, just poking out, she started contemplating the good Christian version of heaux in this house- however the song went. Earworm that it had been she just recall...

Cerfified priesk
Mass evvry wiek
Sunday schoot fleek
Gota prat before sleep

How had she been able to smoothly write all that? Nope, wait, she'd just been having too much fun to notice the errors. Enjoying herself and accuracy, not even once.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Mal wasn't really all that sure about Karin's suggestion, but she would take what she could get from the other students.

She sighed.

"I'm going to go get some air. We can talk more about what we want to do about this in a bit."

((Mal Valdez continued elsewhere))

Return to “The Classrooms”