White Rabbit

Day 5 - One Shot

Thick with trees and snow, the tundra forest is relatively unspoiled, and some of the deeper areas have been completely untouched by man. The forest itself is made up of western red cedar, sitka spruce, and western hemlock, which have all been able to grow to large heights thanks to a lack of logging, providing areas of shelter. Some animals can also be found roaming the forest such as mountain goats, sitka black-tailed deer, and bald eagles. A dried-up riverbed can also be seen within the forest which, if followed, leads to the lower mountain path one way and the frozen lake the other way.

Thread Limit: 2
Fiori

White Rabbit

Post by Fiori »

The spaded end of Shawn's pickaxe dug deep into the ground, peeling the soil away as he dug a small hole.

((Shawn Bellamy continued from Let's Roll Up Our Sleeves))

He paused to wipe his brow, taking a step back to admire his handiwork. It wasn't particularly large, roughly the same volume as a shoebox, but for its intended purpose it was about perfect. Just the right size for someone to fit their entire foot inside. At this point he was getting pretty good at them, having spent the last several hours digging dozens just like it all across the forest.

A part of him still wondered if he should have remained at Chester's camp a little longer, maybe see how far he could've taken advantage of the boy's hospitality. Tempting as it was to see if he could make off with his bag, he figured in the end the risk wasn't worth the potential rewards, especially if he was expecting a friend to show up at some point. Besides, he didn't want to leave with any bad blood after all his helpful advice.

It was a nifty idea, he'd give him that. Albeit one with some fairly significant flaws, ones he may have neglected to flag up. Didn't want to discourage him, after all. Best case scenario Chester somehow manages to call in help and they all get rescued. Worst case... Well, less competition to worry about. Either worked with him.

Still, he maybe could've remained at his old camp a while longer, though it didn't take him long to find somewhere else to stop and do some prepwork for his little project. The results of which were bundled up in his bag.

Kneeling down beside the hole he'd just dug, he reached into his duffel bag and produced six small but firm sticks, each snapped in half with the ends filed down into sharp points. Well, one seemed a bit too blunt, Shawn pulling his jagged rock out from his pocket to roughly sharpen it some more. In an ideal world he'd use a knife for this, but the end result was likely good enough to get the job done.

Next he poked that stake deep into the hole with the pointy end sticking upwards, digging where need be and securing it so that it was stuck out at vicious angle. Rinse and repeat with the others, and before long he was done.

The result: A poor man's attempt at a punji pit trap. Nothing special compared to the kind that gave Vietnam vets flashbacks, he had to make do with what was available after all. Nor was it likely to ever actually kill anyone, not unless they were horrifically unlucky. But at the end of the day, it didn't have to kill to make an impact. If anything, it'd be rather inconvenient if it did, and his intentions outed to the rest of the island. One wrong step and someone was in for a bad day, and his chances of winning this thing went up without anyone being non the wiser.

Lastly, he gathered a mix of snow and leaves to cover the pit up, gently patting it down until it blended nicely into it's surroundings. To think such a nasty little trap could be so easy to set up, with dozens just like it scattered throughout the woods, half of which he'd already forgotten the location of.

He glanced up at the sunset, just barely visible in the distance as the forest around him grew darker. Perhaps it was time to leave these woods far behind.

His trap set, he stood tall and hoisted his pickaxe over his shoulder, taking care with every cautious step as he left to seek some shelter for the night.

((Shawn Bellamy continued in Shawn's Marvelous Medicine))
Coming soon to a V9 near you
Marcia "Marcy" Valerio: The Dancer
Koa Tagaloa: The Wrestler
Johnny Benowitz: The Jock
Florida Riley: The Saint

Xavier Martinez: The maybe pregame only character, but don't count on it
[+] V8
Cassie Chao: The Wallflower Thank you... For talking to me, when nobody else even knew I was there.
Shawn Bellamy: The Bastard "We're the only decent people left on this island, Matt. Way I see it, as long as one of us survives this... I'd say that's a win, wouldn't you?""
Lillian "Lily" Larsen: The Satanist "Don't think explanations will be necessary. Neither of us are exactly innocent anymore."
Mitch McDuffy: The Gamer Jobtown. Baby.
[+] V5
Brian Zhdanovich "Just... Just stay safe Ruby. Don't take any unnecessary risks, or accept candy from strangers. But most of all, don't you ever..."
Ruby Forrester "Do you seriously think you're the only person on this island whose had a shitty week?"
Jenna Rhodes"Of course, assuming that all goes as planned, we'd have to do something about the whole 24-hours-no-kill limit. Maybe draw straws, or take a vote, something along those lines... Either way, the longer we put this off, the more likely it is that we'll all get rescued and taken away from this hellhole."
[+] V4
Marty J. Lovett ""Well... Here we are buddy. To be totally honest with you, I didn't think either of us would make it this far. Who'd of thought, huh? I was SURE that I'd be dead within the first couple of days."
Joshua Krakowsk "...I'm tellin' you Marty, somewhere out there is a picture of Danya and George Bush on a boat with the biggest damn catfish you've EVER seen!"
Maxwell Lombardi "Now then, I'm afraid I must bid you all adieu. I look forward to meeting the rest of your children, siblings, lovers, friends and what not. And I'm sure they're looking forward to meeting me as well..."
Vera Osborne"Now then... Tell me why I shouldn't just snuff out your existence and get it all over and done with?"

Return to “Tundra Forest”