V8 BKA/BDA Voting: September 2023

Each month, SOTF hosts various contests on the site, the most notable of which are the Best Kill and Best Death contests. Winners of said contests receive prizes that will be beneficial to either their character or themselves. Voting for these contests will take place here!
Buko

V8 BKA/BDA Voting: September 2023

Post by Buko »

Whaddup homies,

Welcome to the Best Kill and Best Death Awards for September. Before we begin, the rules:

1. In this thread, you may post as an anonymous guest to select one student to receive the day's Best Kill Award, and one handler to receive the Best Death Award. Prizes will be given out in-character for BKA, consisting of a weapon and food, and out-of-character for BDA, consisting of a quote from their character to be displayed on the board index until the next BDA is awarded.
2. You may only vote while logged out. You can identify yourself in your vote if you want, but you may not claim to be another handler.
3. You may only vote once, and you may not vote for yourself in either category. Staff can see IP addresses, and we will check them if we have reason to suspect shenanigans.
4. You must provide reasoning with your vote for why you think your choices deserve the award. Votes with no reasoning will not be counted.
5. Don't be a jerk. You can explain why some scenes are your favorites without tearing others down.
6. Make sure that your answers are clear; please don't use any formatting that might cause votes to be miscounted or left out.
7. Please be sure to read every kill and death before voting, please vote for your genuine favorites rather than just voting for your friends, and please don't campaign for awards in the chat or otherwise try to influence the vote.

And your Best Kill and Best Death contestants:

BEST KILL AWARD:

Katelyn Graves for killing Darryl Smith Jr.
Katelyn Graves for killing Richard Buster Jr.

BEST DEATH AWARD:

Deamon for the death of Darryl Smith Jr.
Buko for the death of Richard Buster Jr.
Fiori for the death of Lillian Larsen

Voting will run for four days. Votes will remain hidden until time is up, and the winners will be declared in the following announcement.

Bitter Betty

Post by Bitter Betty »

i give votes to no one because nothing is good enough for these awards!!!!!!!

jk, people did good and deserve stuff

Best Kill Award, it's going to the same place either way, but I think my vote is going for Kitty specifically killing Big Dick Buster. We saw it coming Darryl, and so when Richard also got blown up, it was a shock, but kind of a good one, I think.

For Best Death Award, meanwhile, I think I have to go with Lillian Larsen. Girl took out one of the ATF before she got killed, you can't tell me that isn't cool! Girl went out a badass and deserves to be recognized as such.
TheFioriousOne

Post by TheFioriousOne »

Best Kill: Katelyn Graves

All jokes aside about this being September's only BKA nominee, this was a really good action packed scene, and there's a decent chance I would've gone with this as my Best Kill pick regardless.

Best Death: Biggy D

This one however was a hard choice, given how equally good Darryl and Dickie's deaths were. Ultimately went with the Big D in the end, I always really dug the poetic flair that came with Dickie's narrative voice, and it felt fitting for him to go out holding the line alongside Darryl.
Ahahahahaaahhh

Post by Ahahahahaaahhh »

Hi!
Voting Katelyn Graves (for both deaths) for BKA:
Real unexpected deaths right there, and finally the grenade launcher finds some use!

Lily Larsen for BDA!
Actually the only one who had the right idea, she went out like a boss 8-)
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

2 days left for votes!
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
G047 - Aliya Kimia Nemati - Blowgun w/ 10 Poison Darts - you're nobody till somebody kills you - "I just wanted to talk." - DEAD
G001 - Arizona Butler - Camping Stove - Dead Bxdies in the Lake Part II - ""We got there eventually." - DEAD
B046 - Bret Carter - Weighted Net - Swerve - "I'll just be on my way and we can all continue with our evenings." - DEAD
G022 - Forrest Quin - Ball-gag and handcuffs - DRUGS SAV3D MY LIF3 - "Abe-" - DEAD
WeirdBigLemon

Post by WeirdBigLemon »

BDA: Buko for the death of Richard Buster Jr. This is a good scene overall so kudos to all involved. For Richard specifically I like the focus on teamwork and brotherhood and the inclusion of the psychological coping mechanism of refusing to leave despite the danger.
Medic

Post by Medic »

I'm just gonna skip Best Kill, because picking one or the other feels a little meaningless since it's the same grenade that killed both. xD Though it was a solid scene on the part of everyone involved - Kitty's a solid menace, and Darryl and Richard went out in a way that felt fitting (and the extra drama of Richard seemingly been unrolled added some spice).

That said, I'm voting Lillian Larsen for Best Death, despite how solid the Kitty-Darryl-Richard scene was. (It's stiff competition, bros.) Because hey, she actually put together stuff enough to inconvenience the AT in her death, something that is very rarely true for kids who decide to take a stand against the system. It was a fitting end for her, used her BKA assigned weapon well, and she took a terrorist down with her. Solid stuff.
mimic of mimikyu

Post by mimic of mimikyu »

BKA

Kitty Graves for killing Darryl Smith, because the piece of shrapnel that killed Big Dick was weak and undeserving of the kill. /j

Okay, but lack of choice notwithstanding, this was a blockbuster of a thread, production value off the charts. All the characters in this thread shine in the role given to them; there's tons of emotional payoff to go around. The action's really well-executed, too--ebbs and flows in a way that's really pleasing to my brain.

BDA

Lillian Larsen because as much as I love the technical execution of Darryl and Dickie's death thread DAMN GIRL GO OFF QUEEN

seriously though what a sick way to go out. what an idea from fiori. also props to staff it was very cool and good of them to let him actually go through with it (and actually get a kill, no less!)
Halloween Spook

Post by Halloween Spook »

BKA: Hmm Kitty? Or Kitty? Or maybe I choose Kitty? Or maybe Donald for exploding Lily. Well, I'll go with Kitty.

BDA: This was very difficult. There's three choices but all three were very good. I'll go with my gut and choose Richard Buster Jr.

I have a lot of admiration for the scene construction of this one from start to finish. I really like the opener with Darryl, Dick, and June. I like that once Kitty arrives on the scene as a kind of slasher villain that Dick's posts incorporate things from hers and there's a nice interplay of borrowing and mirroring that makes me say that's RPing. The entire scene is very clean and smooth. It turns into a gunfight which can easily become confusing or hard to read but I think all sides did a very good job keeping actions straight. When it comes down to the two deaths its very difficult to choose but I'm giving it to Dick because of the strength of thematic conclusion that's woven throughout with sports, leadership, friendship, and also I don't know, it made me feel something when he used his last breath to slide over the bullets because the myth that this could still happen is important.

Honorable mentions (I guess? I already talked about them?) to Darryl for contributing to the scene, for Kitty and for June for their parts, and for Lily's last stand which I liked as well, especially the sort of echo back to Amaryllis.

Post by Guest »

abstaining from BKA just on the grounds that it's the same person and the same scene anyway, though turtle/deamon/buko did a great job all around.

BDA - Lillian Larsen, partially because it's the only other contender for this set, but I really admire Lily's strength and courage behind her choice to take out one of the terrorists (and succeeding).

Post by Guest »

BKA: Katelyn Graves for killing Darryl Smith Jr.
So it’s impossible to decide which one of these kills was better and I fully admit I gave it pretty arbitrarily in the end. It’s a good kill though, very satisfying to see the grenade launcher in action and it’s interesting to see how far gone kitty is by this point and how flimsy her justifications for killing are.

BDA: Buko for the death of Richard Buster Jr.
Okay this one was excruciatingly difficult. Every death was great but I’m going with Big Dick Buster here. Buko has given him a great, consistent voice from start to finish, he’s pompous but kind of inspiring and it makes for a great death scene as he plays the hero one last time. The basketball metaphors and historical references that have been a constant throughout his story pay off nicely and dying alongside his best friend is a great emotional beat after what they’ve been through together.

Return to “Contest Voting”