When I Come To The Club, Step Aside

John Endecott Memorial Academy's homecoming itself, held within the school gym, on November 5th, 2021. The theme is Roaring Twenties. The Terriers lost the homecoming basketball game to their cross town rivals 69-71 the previous Wednesday.This forum can cover anything from the arrival at the dance to when students leave. There are plenty of chaperones around to keep an eye on things and unsupervised areas are off-limits, so no private threads are allowed at the event.
Sticks

When I Come To The Club, Step Aside

Post by Sticks »

There were lots of different kinds of people in the world.

Janelle considered herself a dance person. Like, she considered herself a social person, and dances were social things, so it kinda just...worked. Sure, maybe the mood wasn't going to be as good as it could have because of the whole losing business, but the point of events like this were to try to wipe that aside and just have fun with things. That's why she was dressed in this really cute sparkling green dress. It was a little blinding when the lights hit it the wrong way, but it hit the curves in her body, so she thought it was an acceptable risk to take.

Just like taking Josh James to homecoming. Yeah, he was cute, but he was also Very Christian in the way that made him like not super fun to be around. Still, that very fact meant that he probably wasn't going to try to put any moves on her, which was the whole point of this thing. Janelle knew that she could have fun being single, but she just kinda maybe wanted to show everyone else that fact. And what better way was there to do that other than dancing? Or just shimmying along to whatever was playing. Either way, she was going to have a good time.

"How do you like the music?" She asked Josh, as some teen pop whatever came on. If she was trying harder, she'd probably be able to know exactly who it was, but just vibing to the music seemed fitting for now. Besides, she was kind of curious as to whether he'd know the song. Like, did he listen to only worship songs or something? Okay, that was judgey, but like, it was a genuine point of investigation for Janelle. Which was why she asked.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Josh was fiddling with his dress shirt. He had asked one of the guys on lacrosse to ask one of the girls what color dress Janelle would be wearing. The information was relayed back, telephone-style, and he was able to coordinate. He had asked Jenelle to go with him because, well, he needed someone. His brothers told him that it would be lame to go on stag to his last homecoming and with something that was perhaps a pep talk, or perhaps just roasting, said his face was enough to get a girl to agree to go with him.

He supposed they were right. Jenelle had said yes and he was happy about that; it's always satisfying to cross things off your to-do list. What he had anticipated less was actually spending the evening with her. He'd chosen her because she was pretty, popular, and known to not be wanting anything serious.

Josh looked down at his date and was momentarily dazed by a stray reflection of glitter. He recovered quickly, blinking, and noticed the way the fabric hugged her figure. It was kind of dark in the room; he figured maybe no one would notice if he lingered a little. His eyes quickly roved up and down his date.

"Oh!" he said, quickly looking away and trying to keep his expression neutral. He faked a cough quickly to give himself a little more time to recover. "I.... I don't know this song, but it sounds really... hip?"

Another issue he had not thought of until now: he could not dance.

"W- what do you wanna do?"
backslash

Post by backslash »

Stormy Delacroix Homecoming Start

Stormy had never liked feeling like he was a sore loser. One reason why the Terriers' chronic losing streak had worn him down so much while on the basketball team was that he just got tired of getting stuck in a loop of feeling bad after a loss and then feeling bad for feeling bad. Dropping basketball for cheer hadn't completely removed him from that, but he'd found that it was a little easier to shake things off when he could be confident that the halftime show was good no matter how big the gap on the scoreboard was.

All of that was to say that there was a little bit of a damper on his Homecoming mood after the outcome of the game, but not as much as there could have been. And it was hard to stay upset about something like yet another basketball loss when his thoughts kept going bubbly and distracted at the idea of taking Molly to the dance. (Maybe even getting crowned royalty together(!) He wasn't holding his breath, but but but-)

"I actually thought about wearing the Reaver costume again for tonight - without the hat, obviously - but I figured it might be a little too 1800s?" Stormy's mouth had been running a mile a minute almost since he picked Molly up, and he was aware of it, but couldn't seem to find a way to slow himself down. He felt giddy and dumb, but much like with the loss of the Homecoming game, he couldn't stay mad at himself for it.

"I figured this was better, like, it doesn't look completely out of place and won't upstage whatever I go with for prom in the spring, you know?" He gestured to the navy blue tux he had settled for renting instead, which was still a bit fancy for Homecoming, but not nearly on the same level as a white suit with a tailcoat. "But like, it would have been funny, right? If we- if I won anything, you know, and went up there in the stupid hat and they had to put the crown on top of it-" He cut himself off with a snort at the mental image he'd conjured up.

Stormy was so focused on the conversation instead of where he was actually leading himself and Molly that he didn't realize he was on a collision course with Josh until he almost bowled Josh over.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

“You can borrow my headband? It’s pretty fluffy, but I don’t think it’d be quite the same?” Molly gestured at her headband, which was bedazzled on one side with flowers and feathers, flapper-girl style. Conveniently, she’d already been adding embroidery and such onto a flapper-style dress even before the theme was announced, because she was convinced after corona that the Roaring 20’s would repeat themselves. Her dress was fairly vivid, with a lot of emerald green and yellow trimmings. There’d be no missing her, court or no court.

She wasn’t too bothered about homecoming court? She was happy to be in it, and that was good enough? Though on the other hand, it’d be a bummer if Lúcio got king and she didn’t get queen. No, wait, that sounded weird, she didn’t want to be queen WITH him, and she’d definitely prefer being queen with someone else as king, but, like, she’d prefer them both winning to him being king alone? Just so they were like at least on an equal footing? That wasn’t weird, right? Besides, they had a platonic little jig planned in case they did both win. Anyway, that wasn’t important right now?

What was important was having a good time with Stormy on their actual date this time, instead of a probably-not-really-a-date-maybe that they’d had at the party. And Stormy was good to hang out with! Fun, pretty, hadn’t tried to grab her butt yet, always a plus. And oh hey—her eyes caught the sparkling on Janelle’s dress, noticing her and then realising Josh was next to her.

Oh, these two were co-ordinated! Should she have coordinated with Stormy? Wow, she really should have thought about that? Well, blue and green were close, right? Analogous?

Whatever, didn’t matter. She knew these two, though! Janelle had been on cheer squad, like, that one time. She was fun to be around. And Josh--Molly mentally struggled with trying to think of an adjective. ...Well, Josh was sure there! And that was a good thing!

And hold on Stormy hadn’t noticed—oh no, starboard, starboard, that’s not blank space, that’s Josh--

“Oop!” Molly tried to tug Stormy back before he led them both into chaos, though she’d also noticed too late just where he’d been heading, and her ability to affect the direction was limited.
[+] V8
S010: Marshall West - Designated Weapon: Gas Mask (now broken in one eye) - ESCAPED - "You are not the authority on what these people deserve!"
V8 Pregame - Memories: 1 / Messages: 1 2 / Pregame: 1 2 3 4 5 6 / Before Homecoming: 1
V8: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

S029: Mônica “Molly” Oliveira - Designated Weapon: Zweihander - DECEASED - “Is revenge worth that much?!”
V8 Pregame - Messages: 1 / Pregame: 1 2 3 / Homecoming: 1
V8: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

S047: Russell “Fitz” Fitzroy - Designated Weapon: Walther WA 2000 (sniper rifle) - Other Weapons: 1 half-blunt shruiken - ESCAPED - "DON’T LEAVE ME! PLEASE! PLEASE! I WANT TO LIVE!"
V8 Pregame - Memories: 1 / Messages: 1 2 3 4 / Pregame: 1 2 3 / After Homecoming: 1
V8: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

S074: Roberta Chen - Designated Weapon: Khopesh - DECEASED - "So… c-come back here. Y’coward."
V8 Pregame - Pregame: 1 2 3
V8: 1 2 3
[+] V9

S???: Finn Cooper
S???: Camilla "Candy" Carter
S???: Ashley "Ash" Montoya (last name preferred)
S???: Zachariah "Zach" Webb
Sticks

Post by Sticks »

So, it turned out that Janelle was right about Josh not knowing music. ...That was something fun. So fun Janelle was about to reply with another question to maybe confirm her priors when a bunch of people came in like bunch of people coming in at a very high speed.

Her eyes widened as she took a quick step back to avoid the chaos, because this dress had cost a lot, and so had these heels, and so Janelle was really just not like interested in getting any of them ruined. At all. Because that would've been terrible on many different levels, and this night was meant for Janelle to go dance with a cute guy, have fun, and just do that. No ifs, no buts, no questions, no complexity. But really, the biggest part of the step back was to make sure that she didn't get dragged down, knocked around, or otherwise undisposed.

Now that she was out of the situation, Janelle was actually get her eyeballs onto the bunch of people, and that meant she found they were Molly and Stormy.

"Oh, hey!"

Yeah, hey! Because it didn't feel like the right time to discuss the whole almost knocking my date over thing. That could happen organically. Or not at all. Either way, Janelle was more than a little curious to see how Josh would take all this in. Was it kind of weird that this felt a little like a lab experiment? Yeah, but it'd been a while since Janelle'd been with a guy who wasn't full of hot air. While Josh was full of room-temperature air, she supposed. Seemed like an apt enough observation.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Josh was taking just slightly too long a look up and down Jenelle when someone just about ran into him. Like a slab of wall, Josh mostly wasn't moved. His eyebrows raised slightly and he grabbed Stormy by the shoulders to stabilize them both.

He held on to Stormy for a moment and they swayed a bit, trying not to fall. It almost looked like they were dancing. Josh quickly put his hands up like he was under arrest and took a step back.

"Hey, partner," he said. He meant it in a cowboy way but he wondered if it came off as sort of a weird way instead. "Er, eyes on the road," he said lamely. A moment of silence passed.

"It's homecoming," he said, as if that would answer anything or explain the situation. Was that supposed to be a joke? It wasn't even in the same star system as a joke. He kicked himself internally.
backslash

Post by backslash »

"Whoa, sorry!" Stormy also threw his hands out, intending to catch Josh by the shoulders in turn, but Josh had already neatly evaded him, so Stormy was left with his arms out in front of him like Frankenstein. After a few seconds, he sheepishly lowered them and let Molly tug him back an appropriate distance. "Sorry," he repeated. "I wasn't paying attention." Like, obviously, but he still felt he had to admit it.

"It is homecoming!" He agreed brightly, just in case there had been any uncertainty. He glanced over at Janelle and Molly, as though to confirm, or like... he didn't know, maybe they had something to add that would fill the awkward pit that had just formed in the conversation. Josh and Stormy had always moved vaguely in the same circles but never exactly the same orbit, so they rarely crossed paths in a way that required them to make actual conversation. He wasn't sure what Josh was into at all besides lacrosse, and it wasn't lacrosse season, soooo... yeah.

Yeah.

"You guys, uh. Excited?" Yeah. Nailed it.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Okay, disaster averted!

"I'm pretty excited? I mean, all parties are good parties? And if the Roaring 20's come back, this is good practice!" Molly let go of Stormy's arm and briefly hopped over to stand next to Janelle as she peered down at her dress. "Hey-hey, green sisters!" Okay, so Molly was yellow also, but still-- "I love the commitment to the sparkles, like, is it really the 20's if it's not sparkly? Going to catch a good vibe on the dance floor. Though--"

Molly tuned in properly to what they were playing for a moment, raising her hands and putting a finger under each ear as if it would help her listen. Mouth twisting thoughtfully.

"Wonder if they'll play something jazzy? Jazz is a 20's thing, right?"

She spoke like she was oblivious to the awkwardness the guys were going through. Sometimes that was the best way to smooth something over.
[+] V8
S010: Marshall West - Designated Weapon: Gas Mask (now broken in one eye) - ESCAPED - "You are not the authority on what these people deserve!"
V8 Pregame - Memories: 1 / Messages: 1 2 / Pregame: 1 2 3 4 5 6 / Before Homecoming: 1
V8: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

S029: Mônica “Molly” Oliveira - Designated Weapon: Zweihander - DECEASED - “Is revenge worth that much?!”
V8 Pregame - Messages: 1 / Pregame: 1 2 3 / Homecoming: 1
V8: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

S047: Russell “Fitz” Fitzroy - Designated Weapon: Walther WA 2000 (sniper rifle) - Other Weapons: 1 half-blunt shruiken - ESCAPED - "DON’T LEAVE ME! PLEASE! PLEASE! I WANT TO LIVE!"
V8 Pregame - Memories: 1 / Messages: 1 2 3 4 / Pregame: 1 2 3 / After Homecoming: 1
V8: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

S074: Roberta Chen - Designated Weapon: Khopesh - DECEASED - "So… c-come back here. Y’coward."
V8 Pregame - Pregame: 1 2 3
V8: 1 2 3
[+] V9

S???: Finn Cooper
S???: Camilla "Candy" Carter
S???: Ashley "Ash" Montoya (last name preferred)
S???: Zachariah "Zach" Webb
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"Uh-huh. Exciting," he said, in a not particularly excited way. "That would be cool, huh?" he said, not knowing anything about music of the 20's.

He looked at Stormy and Molly and then inspected his shoes briefly.

"I'm not much of a dancer, really. I think I mostly just watch other people. But like, not in a weird way," he said. Josh turned to see if his date had a contribution to the conversation, but she had vanished from his side, leaving him alone with these two people.

"Oh..." he said, to the empty space to his side. "Well," he sighed, feeling like he was naked out on the dance floor. He crossed his arms in front of him as if protecting himself.

Return to “Homecoming”