The Brand New© 120th Survival of the Fittest® Song Contest™!

Licensed Music

SOTF's own Eurovision-style song contest. Submit songs that fit the theme and get mercilessly judged on your taste in music here.
Pancapples

The Brand New© 120th Survival of the Fittest® Song Contest™!

Post by Pancapples »

Hey y'all, sorry it took me a bit to get this posted but I've been having a rough time lately. Got involved in some shady business, made some bad decisions and y'know. Some things happened.

So I kinda sold the entire idea of the Song Contest to this group of scary men, and now they're only allowing songs that meet their standard of approval. Thankfully, they instantly like any song they can associate with a piece of media they've seen.
So! The theme this time around (kinda by default), is...

Licensed Music

You can submit any song that has featured prominently in a piece of media. So movies, tv shows, video games, commercials, really anything you can think of. This includes things like theme music and credits songs, but I(/the scary businessmen) am mostly looking for songs with a vibe of "hey, I heard this in ____!"

The scary men have collectively seen every form of visual media, so anything from memorable video game missions, comic book movie trailers, or even just that one scene from Infinity Train. (Infinity Train spoilers in there btw).
[+] Standards and Practices
No reality show/competition covers.
Please don't use anything we've used in a prior songtest (Master Songtest Sheet through #117 here).
Be nice about the songs, even if you don't like them. This isn't the actual Eurovision, the people submitting these songs are people too, not a conglomerate of hairstylists/lyricists/producers, people have feelings..

Songs will be randomly divided into 2 or 3 semifinals depending on turnout. If you're going to be absent at any point during the song contest (so basically over the next 2 weeks or so), let me know and I'll place you appropriately.
Listen to every song and give points to your top 10 favorites: 12 to your favorite, 10 to your second, 8 to your third, 7 to your fourth, and so on down to 1 point for your tenth favorite.
If your song is in a given round, you must vote that round or you'll be disqualified. If your song isn't in that round (or you aren't in the contest at all), your vote will be counted as a public vote, which counts for half points. If you're doing a public vote in chat, tag me in Discord so that I can find them.

Public votes will all count as half-votes.

The top songs will move on to the final; the number of top songs depends on the number of contestants. Repeat the process for the finals and we get a winner.
The winner gets to hold the next contest, or they can pass the job along to 2nd place if they don't want to. 2nd place can pass down to third, etc, until someone wants to host.
Sign-ups will run for the next four business days and be due on Monday at 9:30AM EST, when the markets open and I can steal the songtest back from the horrible men I sold it to.
(It isn't a strict deadline, I can totally do extensions if necessary.)

Unpaid interns:

1: me !
2: Fiori
3: Dr Adjective
4: DerArknight
5: Zetsu
6: Toben
7: Blizz
8: Maraoone
9: Laurels
10: CardboardAirplane
11: dmboogie
12: Krokodil
13: Rugga
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

joining(tm)
[+] the youfs
V8:
S050: June Madison is just trying to get it together. She is going where the cold wind blows.
Previous Threads: Help I'm Alive - Come Out, Juanita, Don't Let Me Wait - Dum Spiro Spero - Everyone's Asleep In The House But Me - Daylight - keep looking forwards on paths sideways - Vultures - Ego Te Absolvo - Shawn's Marvelous Medicine - Medically Ineffective Intervention - no one knows where the ladder goes - I just can't help myself - Color In Your Cheeks - The Long Way Down - Trespasser
Pregame: When The Moon Hits Your Eye

Dead:
S069: Valentin Shulgin (adopted from yugi punished kun and salic) needs you to try your best. He's ran out of time in Далеко бежит дорога. [31/134]
Previous Threads: Murphy's Law - The Human Element - Mediation - Valentin Takes A Bath - the results of Valentin's experiment - Faire et Refaire - Well, I'm tired of losing - et Refaire et Refaire et Refaire - 28 Ghosts IV

S072: Przemyslaw Ziemiak (adopted from rc) is bettering himself. He finally got to see the stars in Blind Faith. [70/134]
Previous Threads: Romans 6:23 - Wendy House - Possession - Evening / Morning - She said, "Don't make others suffer for your personal hatred." - I daydream until all the snow is gone
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Current Theme Music: Devil Town (v1) - cavetown
Weapon: Tactical Combat Shovel
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me
Memories: Hiya sa Timog

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Current Theme Music: Play With Me - DDLC OST
Weapon: Bug-A-Salt Camofly 2.0 Insect Eradication Gun
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit
Pregame: In Vino Veritas - Shake It Out
Memories: Hayashibara Heart to Heart
Prom: Fear and Delight
Trip: Room 832: Welcome to the Witching Hour

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Current Theme Music: When You Die - MGMT
Weapon: George Hunter High School mascot costume
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Weapon: Browning Hi Power 9mm
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
G062 - Olivia Fischer prayed a thousand prayers in Ye Not [37/107]
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
Memories: Sometimes when we reach for the stars...
Weapon: Lobotomy pick.
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Pre-Game Threads: Wiping All Out - Quixotic
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
Weapon: Non-Functional Flamethrower (left in the Clubhouse)
Previous V5 Threads: Finding Center - Wish I Could Breathe - The Visionary
Memories: Offended?
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Weapon: Binoculars
Pregame Threads: Taking it to the Streets
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
new resting place for chatsig never forget 2018
give my v8 kids friends pls
BlizzardeyeWonder

Post by BlizzardeyeWonder »

time to sign up without reading the fine print!
she/her/he/him
[+] V8 - CURRENT

Meena Lalita Kumar
the dreaded SI
>Pregame Start: Cast Call
--> Pregame Status: Crying in the (music) club
>Homecoming Start: Dying Clean And Pretty
-->Homecoming Status: It's worse fresh (ish) off a breakup
>Game Start: It's Lights Out, And Away They Go!
-->Game Status (FINAL): The future sucks.

Tenshi Marie Anastasie Fukushima-Yves
#1 princess and voca-tuber in the whole wide world
--> Pregame Status: Trying and failing to share manga
>Homecoming Start: N/A
-->Homecoming Status: N/A
>Game Start: spawn more overlords!
-->Game Status (FINAL): A star has fallen.

Iliya "Liya" Polaris - DEAD
rebelling against a traditional Wiccan upbringing
--> Pregame Status: Some things are more important than a party
>Homecoming Start: Guys and Dolls
-->Homecoming Status: don't tell anyone this but she was actually one of the raccoons
>Game Start: A Question of Faith
-->Game Status (FINAL): The spirit was weak.

Daniel Ozanne
poker twink
--> Pregame Status: Uncomfortable questions
>Homecoming Start: N/A
-->Homecoming Status: N/A
>Game Start: nooooo don't get kidnapped by the AT your too sexy aha
-->Game Status: breaking down but trying to help
[+] V7
[+] Meilin
Meilin Zhou (Wiki) - DEAD

>Pregame Start: life observes itself
-->Pregame Status: Waltzed out a party with her crush
>Prom Start: Fancy Meeting You Here
-->Prom Status: Taking a dance, taking on the world
>Trip Start: The Best of You
-->Trip Status: Running away from an eyeful of NSFW
>Game Start: Rise Great Undead Lord Dread
-->Game Status (FINAL): Stop hitting yourself

Aesthetics
"No sun to rise would be okay with me... Everyday, every day is okay"
[+] Camilla
Camilla Bell (Wiki) - DEAD

>Pregame Start: Who's Turn Was It, Anyway?
-->Pregame Status: Had more than her fair share of revelry
>Prom Start: Early in the Morning
-->Prom Status: Ditching the drama for blues
>Trip Start: When I'm Gone
-->Trip Status: Preemptively homesick
>Game Start: Bloom Nobly, in a Transient Life
-->Game Status (FINAL): Loved to death.

Aesthetics
"A voice in her head, a voice in her head, screaming all the words that were left unsaid"
Pancapples

Post by Pancapples »

Good afternoon everyone, how's the week been? Mine has been great, the scary men have mostly been respectful of my space, and they even threw me a birthday party! I asked one of them to go out and buy a cake, and... well, y'know what happens.

What a horrible accident! Unfortunately that scary man wasn't wearing a seatbelt, and isn't able to join us today! (or ever again) Thanks to our friends at Ford® Motor Company for sponsoring this manslaughter!

Now, without further ado... presenting The Brand New© 120th Survival of the Fittest® Song Contest™!

------

But first a big thanks to our friends at ZOOBOOKS®! for sponsoring these entrants! In this special TV offer, you'll be given the chance to bless a child in your life with the gift of TWELVE magazines containing animal facts, gorgeous photos, fun games, brain teasers, and more! And if you call RIGHT NOW, with the use of your credit card, they'll also throw in a set of animal stickers, the Elephant issue, and a FREE Tiger poster!

------

And now, the entrants! This message brought to you by Meryvyn's©.

1. The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die, from Hi-Fi Rush!
2. TAMER - Beautiful Crime, from a trailer for Netflix's Daredevil!
3. Marty Robbins - Big Iron, from Fallout: New Vegas!
4. Hanni El Khatib - ALIVE, from a commercial for the iPhone 14!
5. The Beach Boys - God Only Knows, from Boogie Nights!
6. a-ha - The Living Daylights, from The Living Daylights!
7. The Jim Carroll Band - People Who Died, from The Suicide Squad!
8. Ashley Eriksson - Island Song (Come Along with Me), from Adventure Time!
9. ZUTOMAYO - Blush (消えてしまいそうです), from Drifting Home!
10. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird, from Kingsman: The Secret Service!
11. Russell Watson - Faith of the Heart, from Star Trek: Enterprise!
12. syudou - In The Back Room, from Chainsaw Man!
13. Band of Horses - The Funeral, from How I Met Your Mother!

-----

Here's the playlist!

You have until about a week from now(May 15th, 2023) to listen and submit your votes, but extensions may be granted.
From the rules: Listen to every song and give points to your top 10 favorites: 12 to your favorite, 10 to your second, 8 to your third, 7 to your fourth, and so on down to 1 point for your tenth favorite.
Pancapples

Post by Pancapples »

So!
It's been some time, and the (remaining) scary men have been keeping to themselves for a bit, haven't been talking to me since one of them had a bit of a pool accident. Thanks to SNICKERS® for solving that problem! Ever since then, the two remaining scary men have bee- oh, sorry, one moment.

We're gonna take a quick second to thank our sponsor of the moment, MTN DEW®! With a one-of-a-kind citrus flavor, Mountain Dew has been quenching thirst and fueling your game for decades! Try the new MTN DEW SUMMER FREEZE™ next time you stop in at your local Walgreens™ or Circle K™!
[+] Survivor
Anyway, here I am with the one remaining scary man, and wouldn't you believe it? He's agreed to sell back his shares in the song contest! What a team player.

Now that we have full creative and financial control over the rights to it, let me present to you the results of the new, fully independent Survival of the Fittest song contest!

[+] 13th Place
In 13th place, we have ALIVE by Hanni El Khatib, submitted by Ruggahissy! It received 19 points, with one 8!
[+] 12th Place
In 12th place, we have Faith of the Heart by Russell Watson, submitted by Krokodil! It received 23 points!
[+] 11th Place
In 11th place, we have People Who Died by The Jim Carroll Band, submitted by DerArknight! It received 34 points!
[+] 10th Place
In 10th place, we have Beautiful Crime by Tamer, submitted by Blizzard! It received 42 points, with one 8!
[+] 9th Place
In 9th place, we have The Funeral by Band of Horses, submitted by Maraoone! It received 44 points!
[+] 8th Place
In 8th place, we have God Only Knows by The Beach Boys, submitted by Me!!! It received 55 points, with two 12s, one 10, and one 8!
[+] 7th Place
In 7th place, we have The Living Daylights by a-ha, submitted by MurderWeasel! It received 62 points, with two 12s, and two 10s!
[+] 6th Place
In 6th place, we have Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd, submitted by Fiori! It received 65 points, with four 10s!
[+] 5th Place
In 5th place, we have Island Song by Ashley Eriksson, submitted by CardboardAirplane! It received 68 points, with one 10 and two 8s!
[+] 4th Place
In 4th place, we have Blush (消えてしまいそうです) by ZUTOMAYO, submitted by Zimikyu! It received 77 points, with one 12, one 10, and two 8s!
[+] 3rd Place
In 3rd place, we have Big Iron by Marty Robbins, submitted by Dr Adjective! It received 83 points, with two 12s and three 8s!
[+] 2nd Place
In 2nd place, we have Invaders Must Die by The Prodigy, submitted by dmboogie! It received 87 points, with two 12s, two 10s, and two 8s!
And in first place, we have....
[+] WINNER
In the Back Room! by syudou
Submitted by Laurels, it received 95 points with four 12s and two 10s!
Thank you so much to everyone for playing, and congratulations to our winner! The song contest brand is now yours to do with as you please! If I could offer one piece of advice before riding into the sunset with my severance package, it'd be to always remember...

Don't make silly bets with scary men.

Thank you, and goodnight!

(also here's the spreadsheet)

Return to “Song Contests”