The Draft Pick

[Day 4, Private]

Following the official closure of the mine, the biggest building in the area was left to rust. The interior, once a hub of activity, now sits as a maze of conveyor belts, pipes, stairs, and walkways that allowed people to traverse the building. There is a main gangway that stretches from one end of the building to the other and many other paths that branch off of it, typically taking one up or down a set of stairs and onto another walkway. A few of the windows within this building have also cracked and broken as a result of the building starting to fall in on itself, leading to snow being visible on some of the pathways, making fast movement a potentially hazardous affair.
PlatFleece

Post by PlatFleece »

The situation was escalating in a way she, well, honestly expected, even if she didn't exactly like it. It only now registered to her that it was Jack, too. Instinctively, Jenny sized up her opponent, even as she kept herself at bay. She didn't want this to end in a fight, because if it did, one of them was guaranteed to get wounded, or worse, with Donovan's gun still loaded.

She couldn't exactly say that she didn't understand how Jack felt, but Jenny knew Donovan wasn't going to just kill anyone on first sight... she trusted that.

She had to defuse this. First a robbery, then a murder immediately after she left. She could stop this before... before it gets worse.

"Can we all just calm down for a sec!?" Jenny shouted, a little more loudly than she wanted, but her ears were ringing. "Seriously, is everyone just going to jump at people the first chance they get on this island!?"

Jenny was never good at calming people down in high-stress situations. She was good at being more competitive, encouraging her team, that kind of stuff. There was never any need to calm your opponent down, so this was new to her, but she didn't want anyone to die. That being said, she was still gripping her spear in self-defense. Worst comes to worse...

...she didn't want worse to come to worse. She hoped they would listen.
Dogs231

Post by Dogs231 »

Donovan let out a long sigh through halted, shaken breaths. The gun lowered a little, and he rubbed the wetness out of his eyes. They still hurt, and it was tough, but soon, they opened up again. And, man, he'd never been happier to see sunlight. His breathing slowed down, and though he felt awful—hurting all over and out of breath—he was alive.

He was alive.

It was all some stupid misunderstanding. Jack saw him turn the corner and just flipped his lid. He would've gotten pissed if it just wasn't so damn ironic. Just his fucking luck, right? The one time he wasn't trying to rob or cheat someone, it came back around to bite him anyway. A week of awful deeds, and it was trying to get a breather that did him in.

Call it karma.

"Jesus Christ, man," Donovan murmured, "I just wanted some fresh air. No fucking clue you were around the corner." He wiped the sweat from his brow. "Shit, I thought you were about to merk me. I turn the corner, gun in my pocket, and suddenly, I'm blind, and everything hurts, and someone's running up on me. My whole life started flashing before my eyes."

He stood back up again, still uncomfortable on his feet. His vision was still murky, and he had to keep blinking the pain away. It probably wouldn't be back to normal for a while. Then again, he'd never been pepper-sprayed before, so that was just a guess. First time for everything, huh? All of that for no reason, absolutely no reason at all. Senseless.

"Fuck," he groaned. "You could've just told me to back off." Then, he took a deep breath and sighed again. In one, two, three steps, he was back by Jenny. Good to know she would come in where it counted. If she'd just left him to die, he would've been fucked, especially if it was someone with actual intent to kill. "Say, what's your time on the island been like?"
[+] PRESENT
V8 — THE DEAD OF WINTER
Relationship Thread

🕇 S021: Corbin Azinger is viewing the world in black and white — "I had shit to work towards, once. I had a future, I had dreams. I did everything I was supposed to, and it landed me here." [Adopted by AlmostInhuman]

“Someone who is determined to disbelieve something can manage to disregard an Everest of evidence for it.” - George Will

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Intention.

S031: Abhishek Panicker is leading a revolution of his own — "After all, you know me better than anyone else ever did. I'd like to keep my secrets, you know? Let them all wonder. It's more fun that way."

“The distinguishing mark of man is the hand, the instrument with which he does all his mischief.” - George Orwell

Pregame: 1, 2, 3, 4
The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Ideology.

S043: Donovan Lauer is dreaming about his victory — "I just wanted to be a winner. That's all I ever wanted—to win something for once, just once, in my life. I was tired of losing. I was tired of being a loser."

“Tex looks at me and says 'There's no 'I' in team!' I looked at Tex and say, 'There's not, but there's an 'I' in win!'” - Michael Jordan

Pregame: 1
The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Initiative.

S061: Alexander Hawthorne is trying to put his life together — "I am not afraid anymore. Because now, there is nothing—absolutely nothing—left in this life for me to be afraid of; there is nothing left for me to lose." [Adopted from Salic]

“You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity.” - Phillip K. Dick

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Industry.

S091: Claire Haig is thinking about her life story — "Because, in spite of everything, there's still a part of me that wants to believe. ... To believe that there's still something human left behind when you take our masks away. That, beneath the skin, we're not just monsters."

“The world, that understandable and lawful world, was slipping away.” - William Golding

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26

Identity.

MEANWHILE — THE CITY OF GHOSTS

██/██/████
[+] FUTURE
V9:

⛼ Damien Vásquez — “The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.” - Joseph Conrad

⬤ Rohan Sen — “Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.” - Henry David Thoreau

≋ Isaac Kea — “The word impossible has been and must remain deleted from our dictionary.” – Ingvar Kamprad

BEYOND:

∎ William Springfield — “There is nothing more remorseless, just as there is nothing more helpful, than truth.” - William C. Redfield

★ Simon Chase — “What I have done up to this is nothing. I am only at the beginning of the course I must run.” - Napoleon Bonaparte

✠ Harvey Gallant — “It is just that, in so terrible a day, and in the last moments of my life, I should discover all the iniquity of falsehood, and make the truth triumph." - Jacques de Molay

👁 Koda Silver — “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.” - Albert Einstein

◓ Edgar Clause — “We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.” - George S. Patton

☧ Adam Angelo — “Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed” - The Bible, John 3:20

Anderson

Post by Anderson »

"Fuck," he groaned. "You could've just told me to back off."

"Sorry, I'm a bit jumpy." No shit. They'd both shot first, after a fashion - Jack just didn't have anything lethal and, since Donovan had been blinded, it came out closer to Three Stooges comedy than the latest edition of High Schoolers Kill The Darnedest Things.

"Say, what's your time on the island been like?"

Jack shrugged. "Oh, a romantic dinner and a spa day. And you? Before...well..." He gestured around, slipping the mace back in his pocket.

Beat.

"We should...probably be getting back to town? There's a group of us that are getting together and at least planning...not to kill one another?"
decoy73

Post by decoy73 »

Kaede nodded at Jack's statement.

"Yeah. We've got a lot of people. Maybe all of us working together can work something out? M-maybe we can at least make it so that one of us goes through. Maybe more?"

Those last two words were a bit optimistic, but who knew? Maybe it could happen ... again.

((Kaede Tsurumi continued in Honor Amongst Thieves))
Survivor: UCONN - Seriously, it's awesome!

Version 8
S001: KAEDE TSURUMI: "Eeep! I-I'm so sorry! I-I'll try not to get in your w-way next time!" Status: ACTIVE
S024: VICTOR GRAIL: "I didn't give you the lead so that you could lose it! I guess it's up to me to carry us after all." Status: ACTIVE
S103: JOAN LEAVEN Status: ACTIVE
S129: DAVID WORTH: Status: ACTIVE
[+] Version 7
Male Student #65: Manuel Figueroa; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Female Student #63: Christina "Renz" Rennes; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Female Student #70: Jessica Rennes; Status: ACTIVE (Adopted by Brackie)
Female Student #79: Stephanie McDonald; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
PlatFleece

Post by PlatFleece »

Seeing Donovan calm down made Jenny calm down as well. She wanted to deescalate the situation initially, and for a moment, she feared the worst. But of course she would. Nothing good has happened so far. She was expecting a bloodbath here, but for once, something good happened. They stopped and talked.

Jenny sighed and lowered her weapon. "Okay, so... we're cool? We're going back to town?" she asked, glancing at Donovan for confirmation. At this point, she figured these two could be allies, or at least, not enemies. "'Cause it'll be safer traveling in a group of four than a group of two."

Now that she thought about it, Jenny was wrong. Something good did happen before. She met Donovan again. A friend.

Maybe her luck was starting to go up for once.

((Jennifer Farrow continued elsewhere))
Dogs231

Post by Dogs231 »

Donovan raised an eyebrow at their plan. In the end, wasn't it supposed to be that only one of them could get home? What, did they start making exceptions? News to him. As skeptical as he was, though, Jenny seemed to want the company. He didn't trust it but doubted that Jenny would back down. Worst case scenario, maybe they could slip away later.

And, maybe, just maybe, with some extra loot in their packs. Just a sneaky little thought.

Still, with a nod and some doubts set aside, Donovan slipped the pistol back into his pocket. Then, he breathed in, out, in, out, again and again, happy that he still could breathe. That wasn't exactly a given on this island, especially with his latest near-death experience. After everything that'd happened here, he was glad to get away and get out of this room.

If he never saw those four walls again, it'd be too damn soon.

S043: DONOVAN LAUER — CONTINUED IN "Honor Amongst Thieves"
[+] PRESENT
V8 — THE DEAD OF WINTER
Relationship Thread

🕇 S021: Corbin Azinger is viewing the world in black and white — "I had shit to work towards, once. I had a future, I had dreams. I did everything I was supposed to, and it landed me here." [Adopted by AlmostInhuman]

“Someone who is determined to disbelieve something can manage to disregard an Everest of evidence for it.” - George Will

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Intention.

S031: Abhishek Panicker is leading a revolution of his own — "After all, you know me better than anyone else ever did. I'd like to keep my secrets, you know? Let them all wonder. It's more fun that way."

“The distinguishing mark of man is the hand, the instrument with which he does all his mischief.” - George Orwell

Pregame: 1, 2, 3, 4
The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Ideology.

S043: Donovan Lauer is dreaming about his victory — "I just wanted to be a winner. That's all I ever wanted—to win something for once, just once, in my life. I was tired of losing. I was tired of being a loser."

“Tex looks at me and says 'There's no 'I' in team!' I looked at Tex and say, 'There's not, but there's an 'I' in win!'” - Michael Jordan

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Initiative.

S061: Alexander Hawthorne is trying to put his life together — "I am not afraid anymore. Because now, there is nothing—absolutely nothing—left in this life for me to be afraid of; there is nothing left for me to lose." [Adopted from Salic]

“You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity.” - Phillip K. Dick

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Industry.

S091: Claire Haig is thinking about her life story — "Because, in spite of everything, there's still a part of me that wants to believe. ... To believe that there's still something human left behind when you take our masks away. That, beneath the skin, we're not just monsters."

“The world, that understandable and lawful world, was slipping away.” - William Golding

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26

Identity.

MEANWHILE — THE CITY OF GHOSTS

██/██/████
[+] FUTURE
V9:

⛼ Damien Vásquez — “The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.” - Joseph Conrad

⬤ Rohan Sen — “Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.” - Henry David Thoreau

≋ Isaac Kea — “The word impossible has been and must remain deleted from our dictionary.” – Ingvar Kamprad

BEYOND:

∎ William Springfield — “There is nothing more remorseless, just as there is nothing more helpful, than truth.” - William C. Redfield

★ Simon Chase — “What I have done up to this is nothing. I am only at the beginning of the course I must run.” - Napoleon Bonaparte

✠ Harvey Gallant — “It is just that, in so terrible a day, and in the last moments of my life, I should discover all the iniquity of falsehood, and make the truth triumph." - Jacques de Molay

👁 Koda Silver — “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.” - Albert Einstein

◓ Edgar Clause — “We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.” - George S. Patton

☧ Adam Angelo — “Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed” - The Bible, John 3:20

Anderson

Post by Anderson »

"Cause it'll be safer traveling in a group of four than a group of two."

Group of four? Sure. Group of four.

Here's hoping Donovan can put this behind him.

Jack nodded, and went out with the group, heading back to town.

[Jack Anderson continued in Honor Amongst Thieves.]

Return to “Mineral Processing (DANGER ZONE)”