Let's Roll Up Our Sleeves

Day 5, Open

Thick with trees and snow, the tundra forest is relatively unspoiled, and some of the deeper areas have been completely untouched by man. The forest itself is made up of western red cedar, sitka spruce, and western hemlock, which have all been able to grow to large heights thanks to a lack of logging, providing areas of shelter. Some animals can also be found roaming the forest such as mountain goats, sitka black-tailed deer, and bald eagles. A dried-up riverbed can also be seen within the forest which, if followed, leads to the lower mountain path one way and the frozen lake the other way.

Thread Limit: 2
Ryuki

Let's Roll Up Our Sleeves

Post by Ryuki »

(Chester Folk, continued from All it takes is a spark)

Chester had spent all day yesterday carving messages into trees. Messages such as:

NEED HELP TO BUILD FIRE

BUILD FIRE BRING STICKS

SOS FIRE HELP

While he was at it, Chester collected any spare stick or fallen tree branch he could find. He had collected enough for his own fire. He wanted to try something, like rubbing two sticks together, but he was exhausted. Carrying a bunch of wood, and carving into so many trees he lost count, left him spent. As luck would have it, however, Chester stumbled upon a leftover shelter and a makeshift fire.

"Guess the man upstairs is looking out for me," Chester said to himself.

He made himself comfortable in this free real estate and slept through the night.
_____

The announcements came right on schedule.

The highlights of this morning’s announcements include Angelo Lee, someone who shared Chester’s passion for social justice, had been killed. Juanita Reid, a fellow gamer, had killed again. Abhishek Panicker, someone Chester had gotten into heated political discussions with, died as well. Meena Kumar, who had been mentioned as a killer earlier in the announcement, committed suicide. And Alex Avanesian, another killer, had been killed by Katelyn Graves, who has been racking up quite the body count.

Fortunately, Perante wasn’t mentioned at all. Hopefully he’s still safe, and maybe finding help for building this fire.
[+] V9
Felicity "Flick" Franklin- Aspiring Chef
Wallace "Wally" Whitaker- Theater Guy
Donald "Don" Douglas- Gamer Geek
Taylor Turner- Tennis Tomboy
Simon Smith- Horror Nerd
[+] Past Characters
V8
Dominiqua Ashmore
Gwendolyn "Wendy" Kennedy
Karen Nguyen
Chester Folk

V7
Image Ned Jackson
Image Yuki Hayashibara
Image Zachary Beck
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

Some time after the announcements, closer to around midday, a guest would arrive at Chester's camp.

A figure slowly emerged from the undergrowth, a pickaxe slung casually over his shoulder, and a bundle of sticks tucked away under his arm. He looked towards the other boy, scanning his surroundings as if he was keeping an eye out for something, before slowly approaching the campsite and stopping just short of entering it once Chester became aware of his presence.

"Nice shelter you've got there" said Shawn, his face devoid of emotion. "I mean, I oughta know... Was the guy who built it"

((Shawn Bellamy continued from Zugzwang))
Coming soon to a V9 near you
Marcia "Marcy" Valerio: The Dancer
Koa Tagaloa: The Wrestler
Johnny Benowitz: The Jock
Florida Riley: The Saint

Xavier Martinez: The maybe pregame only character, but don't count on it
[+] V8
Cassie Chao: The Wallflower Thank you... For talking to me, when nobody else even knew I was there.
Shawn Bellamy: The Bastard "We're the only decent people left on this island, Matt. Way I see it, as long as one of us survives this... I'd say that's a win, wouldn't you?""
Lillian "Lily" Larsen: The Satanist "Don't think explanations will be necessary. Neither of us are exactly innocent anymore."
Mitch McDuffy: The Gamer Jobtown. Baby.
[+] V5
Brian Zhdanovich "Just... Just stay safe Ruby. Don't take any unnecessary risks, or accept candy from strangers. But most of all, don't you ever..."
Ruby Forrester "Do you seriously think you're the only person on this island whose had a shitty week?"
Jenna Rhodes"Of course, assuming that all goes as planned, we'd have to do something about the whole 24-hours-no-kill limit. Maybe draw straws, or take a vote, something along those lines... Either way, the longer we put this off, the more likely it is that we'll all get rescued and taken away from this hellhole."
[+] V4
Marty J. Lovett ""Well... Here we are buddy. To be totally honest with you, I didn't think either of us would make it this far. Who'd of thought, huh? I was SURE that I'd be dead within the first couple of days."
Joshua Krakowsk "...I'm tellin' you Marty, somewhere out there is a picture of Danya and George Bush on a boat with the biggest damn catfish you've EVER seen!"
Maxwell Lombardi "Now then, I'm afraid I must bid you all adieu. I look forward to meeting the rest of your children, siblings, lovers, friends and what not. And I'm sure they're looking forward to meeting me as well..."
Vera Osborne"Now then... Tell me why I shouldn't just snuff out your existence and get it all over and done with?"
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

"Oh! What's up?," Chester said to the guy. Chester was in the middle of trying to build a fire when Shawn showed up.

"So, this is your shelter, eh?," said Chester as he snapped a stick in half, "I was just using it for the night. Hope you don't mind."

Chester felt a little nervous. Shawn was carrying a pick axe over his shoulder. He hoped Shawn had been planning to use it on rocks, rather than humans. From what he recalled, Chester hadn't heard Shawn's name on the announcements. So maybe he was chill.

"I was trying to build a big fire," Chester explained, "That way someone off the island would notice and come rescue us. I even carved some messages into the trees around here."

Chester twirled his finger around, signifying the surrounding area.

"If you're interested, I'd appreciate the help," he finished.
[+] V9
Simon Smith- Horror Nerd
[+] Past Characters
V8
Dominiqua Ashmore
Karen Nguyen
Chester Folk

V7
Image Ned Jackson
Image Yuki Hayashibara
Image Zachary Beck
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

Shawn watched as Chester snapped a stick in half, his eyes drifting towards the bundle he'd collected before returning to the boy in question.

"Not at all" he replies with a disarming grin, wandering over towards the log opposite Chester. "Yeah, I noticed a couple of those markings on the way here. Was already gathering some sticks myself..." he continues, sitting himself down and placing his bundle to the side.

"Granted, I kinda need 'em for a little pet project of my own."

He reached up to rub his stubbly chin, the pickaxe resting on his lap as he kept a hand on its handle. "Still, it's a nice idea you've got there. Although, you might want to rethink your approach a little. Doubt sticks and leaves will be enough for a fire that'll get anyone's attention, especially out here in the middle of these woods..."

[+] V8
Cassie Chao: The Wallflower Thank you... For talking to me, when nobody else even knew I was there.
Shawn Bellamy: The Bastard "We're the only decent people left on this island, Matt. Way I see it, as long as one of us survives this... I'd say that's a win, wouldn't you?""
Lillian "Lily" Larsen: The Satanist "Don't think explanations will be necessary. Neither of us are exactly innocent anymore."
[+] V5
Brian Zhdanovich "Just... Just stay safe Ruby. Don't take any unnecessary risks, or accept candy from strangers. But most of all, don't you ever..."
Ruby Forrester "Do you seriously think you're the only person on this island whose had a shitty week?"
Jenna Rhodes"Of course, assuming that all goes as planned, we'd have to do something about the whole 24-hours-no-kill limit. Maybe draw straws, or take a vote, something along those lines... Either way, the longer we put this off, the more likely it is that we'll all get rescued and taken away from this hellhole."
[+] V4
Marty J. Lovett ""Well... Here we are buddy. To be totally honest with you, I didn't think either of us would make it this far. Who'd of thought, huh? I was SURE that I'd be dead within the first couple of days."
Joshua Krakowsk "...I'm tellin' you Marty, somewhere out there is a picture of Danya and George Bush on a boat with the biggest damn catfish you've EVER seen!"
Maxwell Lombardi "Now then, I'm afraid I must bid you all adieu. I look forward to meeting the rest of your children, siblings, lovers, friends and what not. And I'm sure they're looking forward to meeting me as well..."
Vera Osborne"Now then... Tell me why I shouldn't just snuff out your existence and get it all over and done with?"
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

"I suppose," Chester said, "That's why I'd like some help. I got a friend out there looking for some peeps to recruit. In the meantime, I'm open to suggestions."

Chester threw another stick into the burning pile of twigs and branches. In his head, he kept going back and forth on whether or not a huge pile, or multiple piles would be the better idea. Maybe neither was the best option, and he had yet to think of a better plan. He could only hope Perante was okay and had found some volunteers to help out with his plan.

"So, what's this "personal project" you got going?," Chester asked Shawn.
[+] V9
Simon Smith- Horror Nerd
[+] Past Characters
V8
Dominiqua Ashmore
Karen Nguyen
Chester Folk

V7
Image Ned Jackson
Image Yuki Hayashibara
Image Zachary Beck
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

Shawn watched as Chester tossed another one of those sticks onto the fire, his fingers lightly drumming against the handle of his pickaxe.

"Hmm? Oh, just a little expansion of what I've got going here. A bit of... Home defence, you could say" he replied with a half-smirk, before turning his attention back to the burning campfire.

"Still, if you want my advice? I think you're going to need more than some random bits of timber if you want this plan of yours to work" he says, rubbing his chin some more as he looks back up at Chester. "I mean, think about it: We're probably, what, hundreds of miles from the nearest settlement? I doubt they would put us on an island where any old bonfire could risk giving the game away..."

He taps his chin, staring into the distance. "No... I think, if you REALLY want to make a fire that'll draw some eyes, you're going to have to think a little... Bigger. Like a real, roaring inferno. Something that'll turn the sky black."

"Like, say..." he continues, clicking his tongue and turning back to Chester. "A building, perhaps?"

[+] V8
[+] V5
[+] V4
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

A building? This guy says they should burn down a building. Sure, a burning building would probably get way more attention than a big pile of burning wood, but...

"Isn't that against the rules?," asked Chester.

Chester wanted to do something to stick it to these terrorists. Whether it was stalling or stopping the game in some way, or just doing something that could benefit his classmates. So far, however, he had yet to yield any results. It was frustrating to think that the idea he had since the start of this sick game wouldn't be feasible. If someone had any means to get the ball rolling, Chester might as well hear them out.

"How would we burn a building?, he asked.
[+] V9
Simon Smith- Horror Nerd
[+] Past Characters
V8
Dominiqua Ashmore
Karen Nguyen
Chester Folk

V7
Image Ned Jackson
Image Yuki Hayashibara
Image Zachary Beck
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

"Is it, though?" Shawn replies, briefly glancing up as he thinks back to their macabre assembly, before returning his attention to Chester.

"As to how, well, imagine that would be easy. Get some nice dry kindling together to start with, pretty much anything will do. Sticks, leaves, hell even the manual for your..."

He pauses, gesturing vaguely to Chester. "...whatever it is they assigned you. All you'd really need to do is find an enclosed room, set a piece of furniture alight, and mother nature will sort out the rest. It'll start out small, sure, but give it a few minutes and..."

At that point Shawn put his hands together, before pulling them apart in a manner that mimed an explosion. "Whoomph. Flashover, son. Fireman's worst nightmare..." he continues, clicking his fingers before pointing at Chester. "And hey presto, you've got yourself one hell of a rescue flare."

[+] V8
[+] V5
[+] V4
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

Chester had to admit, he liked the idea. He wanted to make a huge fire, and stick and twigs from the forest could only get him so far. However, Perante was still out there. Before he could go through with switching gears, he needed to talk to him.

"I like the sound of that," Chester said to Shawn, "Next time I see my friend, I'll run that idea by him."

Chester looked at the firewood he gathered and the pile of sticks Shawn had brought.

"If we decide to it's a good idea, it looks like we got enough to start," Chester said.

Chester thought about what location they should look for. It had to be somewhere significant. Somewhere with enough objects to set ablaze.

"Know any good places?," asked Chester.
[+] V9
Simon Smith- Horror Nerd
[+] Past Characters
V8
Dominiqua Ashmore
Karen Nguyen
Chester Folk

V7
Image Ned Jackson
Image Yuki Hayashibara
Image Zachary Beck
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

Shawn grinned, his eyebrow raising slightly at the mention of Chester having a friend.

He sits back as he pondered Chester's question, staring up at the treeline as he found himself deep in thought. "Hmm, well, I reckon the town would be a good place to start. It's facing southwards and has a pretty clear view of the sea, so assuming we're in the arctic ocean that'd probably be your best bet..." he replies, nodding his head in self-agreement. "Where did you say your friend was again?"

A thought then crossed Shawn's mind, his head quickly turning back to the other boy. "Oh, and before I forget to ask... The other day I overheard someone talking about a girl whose going around with a bunch of followers, apparently putting a big group together..."

"Don't suppose you have any idea what that's all about?"

[+] V8
[+] V5
[+] V4
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

"Uh, no," said Chester, "I haven't heard about that."

Someone's been gathering a big group? What are they up to? Hopefully they're trying to find a way to get off this island. Chester didn't need to deal with a cult getting in the way of his plan.

"So, I'm down going to the town, heh," Chester said, "But, if you don't mind, I'd like to wait and talk to Perante before heading there."
[+] V9
Simon Smith- Horror Nerd
[+] Past Characters
V8
Dominiqua Ashmore
Karen Nguyen
Chester Folk

V7
Image Ned Jackson
Image Yuki Hayashibara
Image Zachary Beck
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

"Aah, shame..." sighed Shawn as he glanced down at Chester's firewood collection, grinding his teeth for a moment as he held onto his pickaxe.

"Well, would love to stick around and lend a hand, but there's some things I need to do..." he says, getting up off that log with a long stretch before turning back to the other boy. "Assuming all goes well, I'll see if I can catch up with you in town. Failing that..."

He gave Chester a two-fingered salute before reaching down for his stick bundle, slowly walking back as he hoisted the pickaxe over his shoulder. "Godspeed."

At which point, he slipped away back into the undergrowth, leaving Chester alone with his thoughts once more.

((Shawn Bellamy continued White Rabbit))

[+] V8
[+] V5
[+] V4
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

"Good luck man," said Chester as Shawn took his leave.

After Shawn left, Chester really started to dwell on the idea to burn a whole building down. It sounded impossible, if not crazy. However, it definitely sounds like it'd be noticeable from a distance. If someone from the mainland were to notice a big black cloud of smoke, they'd probably have to investigate, right?

As Chester contemplate, he continued to maintain the fire.

-----

The next morning, the announcements came right on cue. Chester had woken up a few minutes before the announcements came on. His internal clock was starting to grow accustomed to this new schedule.

The announcements weren't too noteworthy, other than Jack Kilgore, who had killed yesterday, was killed today. Karma's a bitch, huh?

And then, Perante's name was mentioned. Chester's heart sank. Apparently, Perante walked into a danger zone.

"Dude, why?," Chester said in distraught, "Why would you to do that?"

Chester cursed himself. He should havebeen ore considerate about Perante's feelings. He should have insisted they stayed together. Perante must have felt so hopeless. Maybe they could have talked. And maybe Chester could have kept him from ending his life like he did.

After the announcements were done, Chester decided to collect his belongings, and take his bundle of sticks too. He was more determined than ever to get something going,

"I gotta do something," Chester said to himself, "Don't worry man. I'll finished this for you."

(Chester Folk, continued elsewhere...)
[+] V9
Simon Smith- Horror Nerd
[+] Past Characters
V8
Dominiqua Ashmore
Karen Nguyen