Songtest #140: Fake Goths

Welcome to Hot Topic!

SOTF's own Eurovision-style song contest. Submit songs that fit the theme and get mercilessly judged on your taste in music here.
Grand Moff Hissa

Songtest #140: Fake Goths

Post by Grand Moff Hissa »

Hello, everyone. I bid you all Dark Greetings!

Somehow or other I ended up at the top of the happy unhappy songs pile with a cheerful tune about the nuclear bomb. Now we move ahead to something a little more... overtly depressing? Perhaps?

One of my things in Songtest for a long time has been submitting Goth music to secure the worst score of a round. Traditional Goth music just has not done well in songtest, no matter how much I dig it, and that's fine! This songtest isn't about traditional Goth music.

It is, rather, about fake Goth music. That is to say, for this songest what I'm asking you to submit is things people might call Goth, but that are not actually in the Goth musical genre. I'm not gonna be too picky here—your submission can have a Goth aesthetic, or spooky vibes, or be beloved by people who call themselves Goth. It just should not actually be in the Goth genre itself, as defined by Wikipedia or Rate Your Music or whatever.

Don't know much about Goth music? That's fine! You're probably better-equipped for this than people who do like traditional Goth stuff.

Anyways, with that out of the way, the rules:
[+] The Rules
  • You can send me stuff by board PM, Discord, telephone call, whatever. Upon receipt, I will enter your votes in a spreadsheet and then let you know I received them. If I do not reply that I got your stuff, I do not yet have it! If more than a day passes without confirmation, please check in because it probably got lost in the shuffle.
  • There will be one round if there are 15 or fewer entrants and two rounds if there are 16 or more. Rounds will last ~4 days if we're doing two plus finals or ~a week if it's just one. If we do two rounds, there will be a final round as well, with a number of songs remaining announced when voting for the first round starts. I'm expecting one round, but hey, surprises happen! A final is works the same as normal rounds.
  • Listen to every song in the round and rank favorite to unfavorite, 12 at the top, then 10, then 8, and then down by one per until you're out of songs or points. Do not vote for your own song.
  • If your song is in a round, you must listen and vote or you get DQed and I sob into my spreadsheets. If your song is not in a round, or you're not even playing, you can still listen and vote! These votes are public and count for half.
  • You can jump in after the first round if it's multi-round (but don't count on this) and you can change your song at any time before the round it's in is posted.
  • Music's personal to people and putting stuff up for contest/discussion can be kinda scary and make people feel vulnerable. Please be nice in chat! It's totally cool to not like something and to talk about that and to dig into why at length, but please don't totally dunk on stuff. Everyone is here to share cool things with friends (or to fight tooth and nail for the crown but you know, same dif).
  • Your song should have some claim to being Goth, but should not actually be Goth as defined by Wikipedia/RateYourMusic. If you have something that does show up as Goth but you think it's not feel free to make that argument and I'll give it to you if your argument is solid.
  • No submitting songs that have already been in Songtest. I know we typically ban Eurovision and reality TV covers and such but I don't personally care, submit them if you want as long as they otherwise fit the prompt.
  • If your song is over ten minutes nobody is obligated to listen beyond ten minutes (but it'd be nice if they did!)
  • In the interests of total fairness I'll be completing my own vote either before each round starts or within the first two hours of the round so there's no possible temptation to put my finger on the scales. I probably won't be talking about song placements during the rounds.
  • I'm pretty busy so do not count on reminders. I may PM people/post reminders/whatever or I may not. I probably won't. We'll see.
  • No extensions unless something really dire happens IRL. There are more or less no stakes for getting DQed from Songtest anyways.
  • Winner gets to host the next songtest. If they decline, that passes to second place, and so on.
  • I reserve the right to add anything blazingly obvious that I forgot.
For those who don't wanna read everything, the highlights: submit stuff that people think is Goth or that sorta feels Goth but is not actually officially Goth. No songs that people have submitted before, but if you wanna do Eurovision or Reality TV stuff that otherwise fits the prompt then you do you.

Sign-ups will run for a bit over seven days. They close at roughly 4:00 Pacific on Tuesday, June 25.

Baby Bats:

1. Me
2. Dogs231
3. Irene
4. Kermit
5. Fiori
6. Laurels
7. Carlisle
8. DerArknight
9. AlmostInhuman
10. Slam
11. Polybius
12. Rugga
13. RetroVenus
14. Pancapples
15. You?
etc.

If you have any questions about the contest or theme, feel free to hit me up wherever!
I bid you all dark greetings!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Dogs231

Post by Dogs231 »

do visigoths count as fake goths?
[+] PRESENT
V8 — THE DEAD OF WINTER
Relationship Thread

🕇 S021: Corbin Azinger is viewing the world in black and white — "I had shit to work towards, once. I had a future, I had dreams. I did everything I was supposed to, and it landed me here." [Adopted by AlmostInhuman]

“Someone who is determined to disbelieve something can manage to disregard an Everest of evidence for it.” - George Will

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Intention.

S031: Abhishek Panicker is leading a revolution of his own — "After all, you know me better than anyone else ever did. I'd like to keep my secrets, you know? Let them all wonder. It's more fun that way."

“The distinguishing mark of man is the hand, the instrument with which he does all his mischief.” - George Orwell

Pregame: 1, 2, 3, 4
The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Ideology.

S043: Donovan Lauer is dreaming about his victory — "I just wanted to be a winner. That's all I ever wanted—to win something for once, just once, in my life. I was tired of losing. I was tired of being a loser."

“Tex looks at me and says 'There's no 'I' in team!' I looked at Tex and say, 'There's not, but there's an 'I' in win!'” - Michael Jordan

Pregame: 1
The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Initiative.

S061: Alexander Hawthorne is trying to put his life together — "I am not afraid anymore. Because now, there is nothing—absolutely nothing—left in this life for me to be afraid of; there is nothing left for me to lose." [Adopted from Salic]

“You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity.” - Phillip K. Dick

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Industry.

S091: Claire Haig is thinking about her life story — "Because, in spite of everything, there's still a part of me that wants to believe. ... To believe that there's still something human left behind when you take our masks away. That, beneath the skin, we're not just monsters."

“The world, that understandable and lawful world, was slipping away.” - William Golding

The Game: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26

Identity.

MEANWHILE — THE CITY OF GHOSTS

██/██/████
[+] FUTURE
V9:

⛼ Damien Vásquez — “The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.” - Joseph Conrad

⬤ Rohan Sen — “Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.” - Henry David Thoreau

≋ Isaac Kea — “The word impossible has been and must remain deleted from our dictionary.” – Ingvar Kamprad

BEYOND:

∎ William Springfield — “There is nothing more remorseless, just as there is nothing more helpful, than truth.” - William C. Redfield

★ Simon Chase — “What I have done up to this is nothing. I am only at the beginning of the course I must run.” - Napoleon Bonaparte

✠ Harvey Gallant — “It is just that, in so terrible a day, and in the last moments of my life, I should discover all the iniquity of falsehood, and make the truth triumph." - Jacques de Molay

👁 Koda Silver — “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.” - Albert Einstein

◓ Edgar Clause — “We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.” - George S. Patton

☧ Adam Angelo — “Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed” - The Bible, John 3:20

Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Introducing our latest innovation, Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way: A groundbreaking synthesis of disruption and functionality designed to think outside the box of the traditional paradigm. Ebony's unique color palette, featuring long, lustrous ebony black hair accented with purple streaks and red tips that cascade to her mid-back, and icy blue eyes reminiscent of limpid tears, is sure to captivate audiences worldwide. Her uncanny resemblance to industry icon Amy Lee only serves to enhance her marketability.

Ebony's pearly white teeth, flawless complexion, and athletic build are the result of years of research and deep learning, meticulously engineered to meet the highest of benchmarks. As a vampire with an cutting-edge bite, she embodies the essence of timeless elegance while remaining accessible and approachable. Clothed in the finest apparel from our strategic partner, Hot Topic, Ebony's wardrobe is an extension of her innate style and individuality. Today's ensemble, consisting of a black corset accentuated with delicate lace, a sleek black leather miniskirt, pink fishnets, and a pair of trusty black combat boots, perfectly complements her unique color palette and disruptive thought leadership. Her best-of-breed application of black lipstick, white foundation, black eyeliner, and red eye shadow further enhances her striking features, ensuring that she stands out in any crowd, and can holistically adapt to any environment or occasion.

Ebony's unwavering commitment to personal style and self-expression is matched only by her resilience in the face of adversity. Despite the harsh weather conditions, including snow and rain, and the presence of prejudiced onlookers (preps), she remains unapologetically true to herself. In doing so, she serves as a customer-centric inspiration to all those who dare to challenge the status quo and embrace their authentic selves.

As we continue to evolve and expand our product offerings, we remain steadfast in our dedication to delivering innovative solutions that empower individuals like Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way to express their unique beauty and inner strength. Stay tuned for more groundbreaking announcements from our team of industry-leading experts.
[+] v7
[+] Michael Froese
Michael Froese - The story of an identity; the story of a matador; the story of a liar; the story of a junkie; the story of a very special frog; the story of a jackal; the story of an oscillator; the story of a ghost; the story of the death of an author; the story of a bunch of other stuff.

THREADS!

PREGAME: Mad world - This...this felt nice. - Michael was incredibly disappointed in himself for actually agreeing to go do something with Beryl. - He wasn't actually all that sorry. - Part of him was worried his real motivation wasn't self-torturing altruism but instead the fact that it was one of the few things that still made him feel.

ISLAND:
Michael and all of his friends were going to be footnotes in a history textbook. - he was folding in on himself like a four-dimensional object in three-dimensional space - Everything was about pain, fear, and love. - "Gave them our reactions, our explosions, all that was ours; For graphs of passion, and charts of stars." - He had a duty to look into someone's eyes as he killed them. - Closure really did sound like nothing at all. - "I wish we were lovers, but it's for the best." - Michael Froese the award-winning murderer. That was who he was now. - "I wanted to lose myself." - "Good and bad, all roads lead to Rome and I just, it hurts too much to be a good person." - "Somewhere out there in the deep blue sea, there's this whale." - "...It's harder to be yourself than it is to be anybody else." - "The neighbors, they adored him for his humor and his conversation. Look underneath the house there, find the few living things, rotting fast in their sleep; oh, the dead," - He gave her a big hug. He buried his head in her shoulder, feeling her cold, spongy, rubbery skin against his forehead. She had no eyes. She had no face. Something had eaten her face. - Michael Froese was a crazy person with a gun. - Validation. - "You don't live in a goddamned movie." - "I miss what it's like to be, like, actually alone." - "Market data inconsistent. Cantor API problem. Trading system offline," - Michael didn't want this. It wasn't like that'd stop him. - "I'm wide awake, it's morning." - He was a spree killer now, he supposed. - When he gave his word, he was giving nothing. - The fact they even existed was being politicized. - "BERYL FUCKING MAHELONA. TELL ME WHAT YOU DID TO BERYL MAHELONA," - 'Am I gray?' - A beach covered in unidentified decedents. - He'd never felt anything unconditionally. - "Look around you, you're surrounded.
It won't get any better. And so, goodnight."
[+] Valerija Bogdanovic
The story of a (failed) revolutionary.

THREADS!

PREGAME: August 12th, 2017 - The explosive sound of metal hitting metal

ISLAND:
She turned away. Everything from here on out was for the terrorists to see. - "All of us, we have the chance to actually do something with our lives." - The students were the shark in the box. - Complacency was festering like a tumour. - "She's right. It won't - it won't change anything," - Scraped into the wall, in neatly-styled lettering, the words "If they won't live in peace, then they'll die for peace." - Val needed a gun, - "I do not care for violence without a point," she stated. "My gun is not loaded." - "Juliette, I'm sure you already know this, but you really should take pains to be careful around people who speak only in enthymemes." - "Someone once said, 'Change must come with the barrel of a gun', and they were not wrong." - Two explosions.
none of you can prove im in v8
[+] v9, AKA. Kermit rejects modernity, returns to writing mentally ill bisexuals.
[+] Sad Gay Hours with Kermit and Mara.
Well no one's gonna fix it for us, no one can
You say that "No one's gonna listen, no one understands."
And so there's no open doors, there's no way to get through
There's no other witnesses, just us two
[+] The mallgoth who died offscreen in Supers
You can read me like a book
I'm not as clever as I look
I've got a sneaky kind of selfish
That I keep up on the shelf
With jars of double-sided comments
For people who've done nothing wrong
Preparing for the lights
And always practicing my sha-na-na's
I will stand right next to giants
And roar beside the lions
[+] Johnny R. Fightmaster
What road?
What road?
What road?
What road?
I'd been working on some open-ended shit
I was looking for an in and that was it
Back at the recital, signs remain vital
A statue is stone which rejects its own pulse
You heart's fair, your heart's square, your heart's not even there
Wasting shore leave on the girls from Point St. Claire
There is a light and it goes out, oh
A touch of classicism in the night
Your backlash was right where I wanted you
Yes, that's right, I wanted you, too
[+] Pow Pow
From this position
I will relax
From this position
I can see the whole site

From this position
Oh, oh just relax
From this position
I took the staff test
I now have a purple name

And chat goes @Staff
@Staff, @Staff, @Staff, @Staff
It goes @Staff

From this position
I can see all the pings
From this position
I totally get how our decisions were reached

From this position
I can say "no pregame murders," or "Tracen Danya is canonically a catboy TikTokker," or "go bother Deamon instead,"
From this position, from this position
It's kind of like eating myself to death

With you on the outside
And me on the inside
There's advantages to both
(Advantages to both!)

And me being uptight
And you being all right
There's advantages to each
(Advantages! Advantages!)

From this perspective, from this position
I have a good grip on both of them
Because I have stayed home
And have learned a little more about my community
Which is important
You know, Main's got 1,269 characters to read

So chat goes @Staff, @Staff, @Staff, @Staff, @Staff
@Staff, @Staff, @Staff, @Staff, @Staff
So it's @Staff
It goes @Staff

With you in a sidechat
And me in the staffchat
(Advantages to both)

And now you have gone terminally inactive
And then you didn't send an appeal
And so I will have to take away your beloved character and then I will have to kill them
(And i'll feel really bad about doing it even though it's my job ;~;)

Now I have been Danya
And you are not Danya
(Advantages to each)
And we're coming back, coming back, coming back
Until there's no U.S. state left untouched on the map
We probably should have expected that people would mishandle colonialism in the Hawaii version

I'm paralyzed
And looking through you
But if nothing's right
Please don't yell at meeee

As a terrified autistic person
I'm amazed at my decision to play

On this occasion, there are a couple of things that we know that we pulled from Fact Magazine
One, character morality discourse is annoying and I don't care about it
Two, your time will come, but this is gonna be our version
So you should give us all of your roll nulls
Three, I wrote a goth and you did not, so shut up, because you don't know shit about goths that you didn't get from me

So times have been tough
And times have been tough
We have been staffkilled, unrolled, and rolled out
But honestly
And let's be honest with ourselves
How much time did we waste?
How much time did we all blow every day?

And so it's @Staff
Oh, @Staff

So @Staff
@Staff
(Please do not ping @Staff as a joke!)
(Staff will kill you in real life!)
(Yes I mean you!)

With you on the inside
And me on the outside
(Advantages to both!)

With my name in purple
And your name in blue
(Advantages! Advantages!)

From this position
I feel an affinity for the both of them, which is confusing
But honestly
I should be careful because otherwise, I'm being, I'm being, you know, what's it called?
Oh, fuck it
-Reclining, I'm getting used to it
Like writing a mentally ill bisexual
It's an entirely new
Discovery, discovery, discovery, discovery, discovery, discovery, discovery, discovery

And then a couple of versions on mini
And then a version on main
And then back over to mini and then to main, again
To use up my desire for
Discovery, discovery, discovery, discovery, discovery, discovery, discovery

For an instant
We could have been sold as a book
But the site's all been plagiarized
From Koushun Takami anyway
So what you want for now
Is for someone to read you
And to hear that the trends you like
Won't become overplayed

And I don't knoOOOOOOOw what I'm doing
I don't knooooowwww
I don't knooooowwww
I don't knooooowwww

(Staff will kill you in real life!)
I'm losing my edge.
Melusine

Post by Melusine »

im 4'5"
Grand Moff Hissa

Whoops! Got going a little late—forgot I had some stuff going on today. With no further ado, we have our contestants!

Contestants:

1. Me
2. Dogs231
3. Irene
4. Kermit
5. Fiori
6. Laurels
7. Carlisle
8. DerArknight
9. AlmostInhuman
10. Slam
11. Polybius
12. Rugga
13. RetroVenus
14. Pancapples

Songs:

Miss Murder – AFI
Sally's Song – Amy Lee
Limo Wreck – Soundgarden
Hex – Dance With Dead
Dance Macabre (Carpenter Brut Remix) – Ghost
Skylines And Turnstiles – My Chemical Romance
Silver And Cold – AFI
The Perfect Drug – Nine Inch Nails
Everybody's Fool – Evanescence
Little Dark Age – MGMT
Rain In Soho – The Mountain Goats
Deathwish – Bebe Black
Dead Eyes Opened – Severed Heads
Triadisches Ballett von Oskar Schlemmer – The Bauhaus

I'm busy July 2, so votes will be open until roughly 4:00 PM Pacific on July 3.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Grand Moff Hissa

A touch under three days for votes!

I've had a bunch of stuff going on and been a little less around/focused than usual, so there's a chance I've missed things. Quick reminder that if I didn't explicitly confirm that I have your votes, I don't have them, and if that's you please bug me again! Thanks!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Grand Moff Hissa

Howdy, folks! A bit over five hours until the official deadline.

We're still waiting on a handful of votes, and I also may end up actually being occupied at the precise time, so there may be a touch of wiggle room, but no promises. That said, I'll take votes right up until results are announced.

Please remember that if I haven't specifically told you I got your votes, I don't have them yet. Thanks!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Grand Moff Hissa

Hey, folks! With no further ado (and a little less ceremony than I'd prefer—it has been a rough two weeks and honestly if I'd seen that coming I would've probably passed), the results:

[+] 14th
With 22 points, it's Skylines And Turnstiles by My Chemical Romance, submitted by Polybius!
[+] 13th
With points 31, it's Deathwish by Bebe Black, submitted by Carlisle!
[+] 12th
With 41 points, including one 12, it's Triadisches Ballett von Oskar Schlemmer by The Bauhaus, submitted by Kermit!
[+] 11th
With 42 points, including one 10 and two 8s, it's Dead Eyes Opened by Severed Heads, submitted by me!
[+] 10th
With points, including one 10 and one 8, it's Limo Wreck by Soundgarden, submitted by Pancapples!
[+] 9th
With 49 points, including two 12s and a 10s, it's Sally's Song by Amy Lee, submitted by Laurels!
[+] 8th
With 58 points, including one 12, one 10, and one 8, it's The Perfect Drug by Nine Inch Nails, submitted by AlmostInhuman!
[+] 7th
With 60 points, including one 12 and one 8, it's Miss Murder by AFI, submitted by Rugga!
[+] 6th
With 61 points, including one 12 and one 8, it's Silver And Cold by AFI, submitted by Irene!
[+] 5th
With 67 points, including one 12, one 10, and two 8s, it's Dance Macabre (Carpenter Brut Remix) by Ghost, submitted by Fiori!
[+] 4th
With 78 points, including two 12s, two 10s, and an 8, it's Hex by Dance With Dead, submitted by Retro!
[+] 3rd
With 80 points, including one 12, two 10s, and an 8, it's Everybody's Fool by Evanescence, submitted by Slam!

Next, post, the showdown of:
[+] Top Two
Rain In Soho vs. Little Dark Age!
Grand Moff Hissa

[+] Final Results
And the winner is...

With 88 points, including one 12, three 10s, and three 8s, it's Little Dark Age by MGMT, Subnitted by DerArknight!

Second place, with 87 points, including three 12s, one 10, and two 8s, it's Rain In Soho by The Mountain Goats, submitted by Claire!
Congrats to the winner, who gets first dibs on hosting next, which passes to second place if they decline, then third, etc. etc.

If anyone wants to see the full votes, here you go:
[+] Chart
Songtest 140 Votes.PNG
Songtest 140 Votes.PNG (36.22 KiB) Viewed 110 times
Thanks for playing! I'd apologize for a somewhat dour/gloomy send-off but, well, you know...
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Song Contests”