Color In Your Cheeks

Day 11, just before announcement. PM for entry because of reasons.

Halfway up the mountain is a plateau where the hot spring can be found. Originally a roughly cut circle in the rockface of the mountain, time and some work from the residents of the island has seen it become more inviting. The sharper edges have been smoothed down and some steps have been carved into the rock, although these can still be slippery. A pathway had previously been worn into the ground but is now obscured by a combination of weathering and rockfall over the years the island has been abandoned. The water of the hot spring itself is still warm and inviting and is the perfect temperature to soothe aching muscles and bones after a long hike.
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

It didn't feel like much of anything. The deceleration of a roller-coaster cart towards its stop, perhaps. All of June's newfound energy and enthusiasm and optimism going to nowhere, pent up. They had to do something, that was the recurrent chorus in June's mind. Something something something.

Yet, thinking on it more, she didn't really have much of a plan herself? If she followed her whims and left Marshall here, what would she do, run like a headless chicken? Scream about the same explosion everyone else had heard?

More heads, that had been Dick and Darryl's plan. Marshall was of the same mind, apparently. And, his logic had some sense to it, at least. He and June had immediately arrived at the same conclusion, that something had gone terribly wrong with the terrorists and that the game might not continue, and so a lot of their other classmates would come to the same conclusion, likely.

More heads, more heads. Just wait for more like-minded people to come along, and maybe they could come up with something coherent to take advantage of the opportunity. Wait, that's all she needed to do.

So, she nodded, said to him hesitantly, "Sounds good." And then she took her seat, next to the warm, welcoming air of the hot springs.

Leg bouncing all the while.
[+] the youfs
V8:
S050: June Madison is just trying to get it together. She is going where the cold wind blows.
Previous Threads: Help I'm Alive - Come Out, Juanita, Don't Let Me Wait - Dum Spiro Spero - Everyone's Asleep In The House But Me - Daylight - keep looking forwards on paths sideways - Vultures - Ego Te Absolvo - Shawn's Marvelous Medicine - Medically Ineffective Intervention - no one knows where the ladder goes - I just can't help myself - Color In Your Cheeks - The Long Way Down - Trespasser
Pregame: When The Moon Hits Your Eye

Dead:
S069: Valentin Shulgin (adopted from yugi punished kun and salic) needs you to try your best. He's ran out of time in Далеко бежит дорога. [31/134]
Previous Threads: Murphy's Law - The Human Element - Mediation - Valentin Takes A Bath - the results of Valentin's experiment - Faire et Refaire - Well, I'm tired of losing - et Refaire et Refaire et Refaire - 28 Ghosts IV

S072: Przemyslaw Ziemiak (adopted from rc) is bettering himself. He finally got to see the stars in Blind Faith. [70/134]
Previous Threads: Romans 6:23 - Wendy House - Possession - Evening / Morning - She said, "Don't make others suffer for your personal hatred." - I daydream until all the snow is gone
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Current Theme Music: Devil Town (v1) - cavetown
Weapon: Tactical Combat Shovel
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me
Memories: Hiya sa Timog

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Current Theme Music: Play With Me - DDLC OST
Weapon: Bug-A-Salt Camofly 2.0 Insect Eradication Gun
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit
Pregame: In Vino Veritas - Shake It Out
Memories: Hayashibara Heart to Heart
Prom: Fear and Delight
Trip: Room 832: Welcome to the Witching Hour

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Current Theme Music: When You Die - MGMT
Weapon: George Hunter High School mascot costume
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Weapon: Browning Hi Power 9mm
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
G062 - Olivia Fischer prayed a thousand prayers in Ye Not [37/107]
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
Memories: Sometimes when we reach for the stars...
Weapon: Lobotomy pick.
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Pre-Game Threads: Wiping All Out - Quixotic
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
Weapon: Non-Functional Flamethrower (left in the Clubhouse)
Previous V5 Threads: Finding Center - Wish I Could Breathe - The Visionary
Memories: Offended?
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Weapon: Binoculars
Pregame Threads: Taking it to the Streets
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
new resting place for chatsig never forget 2018
give my v8 kids friends pls
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Marshall beamed at her, then turned his attention back to tracing ‘S O S’ on the mountainside.

He didn’t exactly want to stay still. Katelyn was out there. Evie was out there. He could have run back to the forest and seen Kai and California. And it would be easier to stay focused on the optimism if he was moving, and not think about the fact that, if rescue came, that he’d given up on the others far too soon. That he’d killed Jacob through his words and personally prevented him from going home.

But if someone was coming for them, they couldn’t do anything to help that along. Part of why the safehouse had never worked was that no-one actually stayed with it.

When Marshall was little, his mother had always told him to stay in one place if he got lost.

That was hard to do when it felt like time was short, but sometimes it was the best thing. At least until he knew more.

-

Time passed.

The sky got lighter, so Marshall stopped swinging his flashlight around once it became invisible against the mountain surface.

Dunking his head into the springs had been ill-considered, because once the water cooled it left him with a severe chill. He solved this by dunking his head again to warm up, then using his jacket to dry his head off, figuring that was better than his ears and nose freezing off.

Now, as the sun rose high, Marshall had returned to doing something that had gone poorly in the past. Bellowing off the mountain cliffs.

“Attention, classma--” He didn’t get far before coughs scraped his throat, and he had to stop shouting. He drank a little from one of his remaining water bottles before trying again. “Attention, classmates! This is Marshall West! We are at the hot springs! Truce! Truce until we know what is happening!”

He inhaled, took a few breaths, then tried to shout louder.

“ATTENTION, CLASSMATES--”
[+] V8
S010: Marshall West - Designated Weapon: Gas Mask (now broken in one eye) - ESCAPED - "You are not the authority on what these people deserve!"
V8 Pregame - Memories: 1 / Messages: 1 2 / Pregame: 1 2 3 4 5 6 / Before Homecoming: 1
V8: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

S029: Mônica “Molly” Oliveira - Designated Weapon: Zweihander - DECEASED - “Is revenge worth that much?!”
V8 Pregame - Messages: 1 / Pregame: 1 2 3 / Homecoming: 1
V8: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

S047: Russell “Fitz” Fitzroy - Designated Weapon: Walther WA 2000 (sniper rifle) - Other Weapons: 1 half-blunt shruiken - ESCAPED - "DON’T LEAVE ME! PLEASE! PLEASE! I WANT TO LIVE!"
V8 Pregame - Memories: 1 / Messages: 1 2 3 4 / Pregame: 1 2 3 / After Homecoming: 1
V8: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

S074: Roberta Chen - Designated Weapon: Khopesh - DECEASED - "So… c-come back here. Y’coward."
V8 Pregame - Pregame: 1 2 3
V8: 1 2 3
[+] V9

S???: Finn Cooper
S???: Camilla "Candy" Carter
S???: Ashley "Ash" Montoya (last name preferred)
S???: Zachariah "Zach" Webb
backslash

Post by backslash »

((Kai Rosado-Prince continued from To Skin A Cat))

The trek from the camp to the mountain was slow and painful. Kai was used to long, exhausting journeys. He was even used to the constant deep cold at this point, even as he could feel it wearing him down bit by bit. Now his injured leg throbbed in angry protest with every step, and Kitty's dead weight in his arms made the going even slower. It meant he didn't have to consciously lag so much to make sure that Cali was keeping up, at least.

She'd said she was good to go, but she'd been out cold for a while after hitting her head, and she'd lost a lot of blood. Neither of them had come to the hot spring that was supposedly nestled in the mountainside in the many days they'd been here, but it seemed like a good place to stop and catch their breath. Kai was mostly focused on just putting one foot in front of the other as they climbed, but he spared some stray thoughts for how he might convince her to rest for a while longer while he continued up.

It wasn't an appealing thought or anything even if it was practical. They hadn't split up at all since meeting back up at the lake a couple days ago. He didn't want to. But the thought of seeing her slip or stagger and then plunge over the steep side of the higher mountain path chilled his core in a way the weather outside couldn't.

Kai's gloomy thoughts were shattered by the bellow from just slightly above them, making him almost jump. "Bwuh-"

For a moment, he forgot when and where they were. What they were doing. What he was carrying.

For a moment, there was a spark of unexpected relief when he placed the voice.

"Marshall?" He called out, taking another steps up towards the enclave that the shout had come from.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

((California Fox continued from To Skin A Cat))

They were heading up the mountainside and California was trying her best to keep pace with Kai, although she believed that she was only managing to because he was carrying a corpse.

A corpse she wished he had left where it fell. But he had made himself clear, he wasn’t going to leave it behind and he had already carried it most of the way. The trek up the mountain had been taxing though, her arm was in constant pain and hadn’t moved from the position she held it in against her body. Meanwhile she had a headache that had been steadily intensifying since she had woken up.

Kai had told her that she had been knocked out as a result of the attack, which tracked with the experience she’d had. He’d also explained everything else about what had happened, she’d listened but hadn’t commented much. She believed that Kai had done the right thing but it clearly ate away at him. Which was why the corpse of Kitty had been accompanying them on their trek.

As they continued walking up the mountain, a loud voice rang up from further up, a loud familiar voice. Both she and Kai flinched at the unexpected noise reverberating across the rocks, but it wasn’t an unwelcome sound, despite the stabbing pain the volume of it sent through her skull, making her wince.

California increased her pace to catch up with Kai as he called out to Marshall. It had seemed nearly impossible that they’d find him again, but there they were.
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
G047 - Aliya Kimia Nemati - Blowgun w/ 10 Poison Darts - you're nobody till somebody kills you - "I just wanted to talk." - DEAD
G001 - Arizona Butler - Camping Stove - Dead Bxdies in the Lake Part II - ""We got there eventually." - DEAD
B046 - Bret Carter - Weighted Net - Swerve - "I'll just be on my way and we can all continue with our evenings." - DEAD
G022 - Forrest Quin - Ball-gag and handcuffs - DRUGS SAV3D MY LIF3 - "Abe-" - DEAD
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Marshall heard his name called back, and nearly fell off the cliff in surprise. Both because of the response at all, and by who the voice belonged to. This morning, he’d never expected to hear that voice again. He’d only allowed himself to hope a little since the explosion.

“Kai?”

Marshall turned and quickly gestured with a thumbs-up at June.

“It’s Kai, he’s fine! I know he was on the announcement, but I helped him try to disarm Katelyn, he’s alright!”

With that, he bolted towards where the voice had come from.

“Kai, is that you? Is California with you? Are--”

He arrived and saw Kai and California moving up the mountain towards them. The beaming grin on his face froze and then fell off as Marshall immediately took a couple of steps back in shock. His eyes flickered over them, lingering on California’s injuries, on the gauze that hadn’t been there yesterday, before landing on the body wrapped up in Kai’s arms.

He didn’t have to ask who it was. Not many of the other students were that small, and even fewer would matter enough to Kai to be carried up a mountain.

“What happened? Are you two okay?”

That question felt silly the moment it left his mouth.
[+] V8
S010: Marshall West - Designated Weapon: Gas Mask (now broken in one eye) - ESCAPED - "You are not the authority on what these people deserve!"
V8 Pregame - Memories: 1 / Messages: 1 2 / Pregame: 1 2 3 4 5 6 / Before Homecoming: 1

S029: Mônica “Molly” Oliveira - Designated Weapon: Zweihander - DECEASED - “Is revenge worth that much?!”

S047: Russell “Fitz” Fitzroy - Designated Weapon: Walther WA 2000 (sniper rifle) - Other Weapons: 1 half-blunt shruiken - ESCAPED - "DON’T LEAVE ME! PLEASE! PLEASE! I WANT TO LIVE!"
V8 Pregame - Memories: 1 / Messages: 1 2 3 4 / Pregame: 1 2 3 / After Homecoming: 1

S074: Roberta Chen - Designated Weapon: Khopesh - DECEASED - "So… c-come back here. Y’coward."
[+] V9

backslash

Post by backslash »

Kai stared at Marshall for a moment. It was a natural question to ask, even if he couldn't think of how to begin answering it. At least he didn't really have to. The answer was obvious. Kai minus glasses, both of them caked in blood. The body.

Marshall's fuzzy figure came more into focus as he closed in. Kai exhaled, shaky. "We got attacked," he said finally. "I- some girl with a gun, I don't know-"

He stopped and closed his eyes. Gave his head a little shake to clear it, but it just brought the headache that girl had given him back. There was probably a bruise forming on the bridge of his nose, but he had no real way to see his own face and check.

"Kitty showed up." He didn't know how to continue. Cali had told him he had done the right thing, but he didn't know how to explain that Kitty had saved their lives, and then he'd chosen to shoot her.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

"Good."

That was what June had said, as she stepped forward.

After she got over the shock of two intruders coming across their scene, one of them carrying a corpse wrapped in a blanket, she noticed that a chill had come over the room, despite the frantic ecstasy that had transpired just hours ago, despite the steamy air that surrounded them, and she noticed that that chill had settled within her too. And, when the guy, Kai, she thought his name was, said Kitty's name, the air within her turned frigid, her breath stopped in place. She looked around herself, read their reactions, but they all knew before her. And, she saw in their stern, somber faces that Kitty had meant something to them.

But, all Kitty was to June was one of the many that had collaborated with the terrorists in inflicting grief and loss upon them all. It didn't matter to her if, before, she was a good artist or writer or tailor or hiker or hunter or whatever. It didn't matter if she was a beloved classmate, friend to them. Victim. Because she, too, had victimized so, so many, she had taken away Dick and Darryl, obliterated them into nothing, buried them beneath the rubble. And, she couldn't really stand to be all silent with all her hurt and grief and rage while everyone else pretended she was anything but a murderer, a collaborator.

So, she doubled down, and, with all the venom and bitterness she could summon, she said, "Good riddance."
[+] the youfs
V8:
S050: June Madison is just trying to get it together. She is going where the cold wind blows.
Previous Threads: Help I'm Alive - Come Out, Juanita, Don't Let Me Wait - Dum Spiro Spero - Everyone's Asleep In The House But Me - Daylight - keep looking forwards on paths sideways - Vultures - Ego Te Absolvo - Shawn's Marvelous Medicine - Medically Ineffective Intervention - no one knows where the ladder goes - I just can't help myself - Color In Your Cheeks - The Long Way Down - Trespasser

Dead:
S069: Valentin Shulgin (adopted from yugi punished kun and salic) needs you to try your best. He's ran out of time in Далеко бежит дорога. [31/134]
Previous Threads: Murphy's Law - The Human Element - Mediation - Valentin Takes A Bath - the results of Valentin's experiment - Faire et Refaire - Well, I'm tired of losing - et Refaire et Refaire et Refaire - 28 Ghosts IV

S072: Przemyslaw Ziemiak (adopted from rc) is bettering himself. He finally got to see the stars in Blind Faith. [70/134]
Previous Threads: Romans 6:23 - Wendy House - Possession - Evening / Morning - She said, "Don't make others suffer for your personal hatred." - I daydream until all the snow is gone
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

It wasn’t a joyous reunion. There weren’t any smiles, only concerned looks. Eyes shifting and saying more than the limited words that were being exchanged. But there was a relief, to an extent, they were all still alive, and Marshall had even found another companion in June.

June who like California felt somewhat positively about Kitty’s passing, even if admitting that made her feel like a bad person.

“Yeah well…” California couldn’t muster a stronger response to June or Marshall. Instead once she reached the group she dropped her back and collapsed into a seated position.

Her head was pounding and her shoulder felt like someone had poured lava into it. But she still addressed Marshall.

“It’s done now.”

Then she lay back to rest her head.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

“June!” Marshall whispered, like being quiet would make the others not notice it, as he shook his head at her.

He understood it, though. Marshall should have felt satisfaction, too. He didn’t. Katelyn had killed Richard and Darryl, and so many others. But she was harder to hate, somehow, than Evie. Perhaps because he’d never seen her in person. In his mind, even now, he pictured the Katelyn from school, small and strange and harmless to everyone but herself. He knew she was under that blanket, but he still couldn’t see her.

What really troubled him was the knowledge that people were still fighting. Not just Katelyn, but the other girl that had attacked them. Evie? Someone else? He couldn’t believe that, even when presented with hope of rescue, that people would still choose to fight each other.

He might not have believed it at all if it wasn’t Kai saying it. Holding Katelyn’s body. Wearing a look on his face that said he wished it had gone any other way.

It was that look, more than anything, that made Marshall try to shush June.

“Good or not, California’s right. It’s done,” he said, his voice at a more normal tone again. “She can’t hurt anyone any more.”

He took a few steps down the mountain towards Kai and California.

“You both look terrible. Do you need help with your injuries?” His eyes flickered to California, lying down on the ground. “I owe you one for patching me up before.” Then he looked at Kai. “And, um… maybe you should put her down? Did you carry her this whole way?”
[+] V8

[+] V9

backslash

Post by backslash »

"Nobody asked you," Kai snapped at June. It was a weak response, but it came with a surprising amount of venom. It wasn't an argument he wanted to have. He couldn't say she was wrong to feel however she felt. But he'd had enough. It was done, like Cali had said.

It was time to put it to rest.

Refocusing on Marshall's words, he said, "We were talking about heading up the mountain to see if we could get a view of the island. Before- all of that."

A moment to keep himself centered. To not run through every moment in his mind again. Her blood stuck his shirt to his skin and pulled with every breath he took.

"I'm still going to do that. I'm going to leave her up there. So nobody..." He trailed off. Didn't need to elaborate really.

"Can you help Cali?" He asked Marshall a little desperately.
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

It wasn't enough that she had to bear witness to the most prolific murderer in the island being given a sense of care that she felt bereft of, partially thanks to people like Kitty. It wasn't enough that she had to sit with her disease and discomfort while everyone else kept silent, pretended this was fine. It was that she had to ask permission, apparently, to voice her discomfort.

The dam burst, once more.

"And nobody asked you to LAY HER TO REST YOU FUCKING GHOUL."

June's voice morphed from something quiet but tension-laden, to booming, screeching, neck muscles flared. She took a step towards Kai, towards Kitty.

"DICK, DARRYL, MEDEA, THEY NEVER GOT ANY BURIALS, THEY WERE JUST LEFT TO ROT WHERE THEY LAY. WHAT- WHAT MAKES HER SO FUCKING SPECIAL?"

Another step.

"JUST BECAUSE SHE USED TO BE SOME CUTE SMALL THING MAKES UP FOR EVERYTHING ELSE?"

Another.

"WHY DOES SHE GET SOMETHING BETTER?"

Anoth—

An iron grip on her arm, holding her back.

She turned her head

Marshall looked back at her, pleading.

"LET GO OF ME," she snarled.
[+] the youfs
V8:

Dead:

[+] V7
V7:
Dead:

[+] V6
V6 Characters:
[+] V5
Dead:
[+] misc
[+] meirl
backslash

Post by backslash »

"DO YOU THINK I DON'T KNOW?"

Kai had backpedaled a step or two in the face of June's fury, but he didn't turn away. He clutched Kitty tighter to his chest. More like a security blanket than a body. The echo and fury of his own voice off the mountainside startled him, but he pressed on.

Marshall's intervention only really bought him time to respond in kind.

"You think I'm stupid? You think I don't understand!? I did everything I could to make her stop!"

Not that it mattered. Not to Kitty or to anyone else.

"I know nothing makes up for it! She saved my life, and then I SHOT HER IN THE FUCKING BACK!" Kai's voice cracked, and he had to pause to swallow and breathe again. He'd almost hunched over as he screamed back at June, some angle of Kitty's arm or shoulder digging into his sternum.

"I did that for you. For all of you that are left. And I don't-" Choke. Swallow. His eyes stung, but there were still no tears.

"I don't even know you."

All of you that are left. Not us. There had never been "Kai and other people." Just Kai, and other people. He'd had everything he wanted, and it was gone. Gone. And that still wasn't enough for June. Wouldn't be enough for anyone else.

"I'm doing this for me."

"We'll take care of California," Marshall broke in, uncharacteristically quiet but firm. He was still clinging to June's arm. "Go."

Kai looked at Cali. "I'll be back," he said. It was a promise he didn't know if he could keep.

He kept an eye on June for a few more steps as he backed away from the hot spring before turning and beginning to limp his way up the path as it narrowed.

He didn't know if he was really coming back, but he was going to try.

((Kai Rosado-Prince continued in Story Is, She Left Without A Trace))
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

So Kai left. California was standing when he did, given the argument that had broken out between him and June. She hadn’t been entirely sure what the end result would have been so she had stood. Just in case.

But Kai was leaving to go higher up the mountain along with Kitty’s body, and California would have to stay behind. Realistically, she was in no condition to follow him and emotionally she didn’t know if he even wanted her to.

He promised that he’d be back, and she believed him, but the truth was that he didn’t control whether he would or not. He was gambling and they had no idea what was going to happen until he played his hand.

She watched him go, waiting to see if he would change his mind about some aspect of his plan, but he remained resolute and determined. The steps he took were deliberate, purposeful and she watched until he vanished from her sight.

Then she lingered longer, thinking about what she wanted to tell him when he returned, all of the things she’d been considering saying since they’d been together. She wanted to take what seemed unspoken between them and bring it into being. But until he returned all she could do was draft and redraft the words in her head and avoid the questions Marshall and June would undoubtedly have for her.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Everyone was shouting. Fighting. Kai left, Katelyn’s body in his arms.

June tried to leave after Kai, but Marshall wouldn’t let go of her.

Instead, he dropped his bag before he wrapped an arm around her, not dissimilar to how he’d done with some of the lacrosse members after a good – or very bad – game. While that would usually involve no small amount of cheerful yelling and hair-ruffling, instead he just hugged her close. Half as restraint, half as comfort.

“June! June, let him go, okay?”

Marshall, turned away from the hill, and drew June away with him, until he was sure she couldn’t easily follow.

“I know it’s not fair what happened to Richard and Darryl,” Marshall said, voice low as he held her close. “It’s not fair what happened to any of us. But Katelyn doesn’t care any more what happens to her. She’s gone. She’s done. We have to focus on who’s still living. On who’s left. And if anyone deserves to decide what happens to her, it’s Kai. So let him have this… okay?”

Though, as his eyes strayed up the path Kai had left by, he realised he didn’t know exactly where Kai was going. He knew the mountaintop was off-limits, didn’t he? Was that the idea? Was he going to gently roll her into a place no-one could go? Or was it something else? He wouldn’t have forgotten, so...

He thought about running after… but Kai said he’d be back. Marshall chose to trust that. Besides, he said he’d take care of California.

He hadn’t realised, in hauling June away from Kai, that he’d walked away from her, too. With the steam of the springs, and the sound of water filling his ears… in this moment, he could neither see or hear California.
[+] V8

[+] V9

Applesintime

Post by Applesintime »

But someone else could see her.

((Matthew Bell and Shawn Bellamy continued from Spoiler Alert))

Shawn, understandably, wasn't too keen on hanging around in the town after they'd shot Evie's friend. (Buddy? Pal? Someone who just kinda walked out at the worst possible time and got a seven point... ugh, whatever the fuck the Mosin was, it was a seven point something.) Neither was Matthew. A lot of gunshots in a short period of time would bring attention, so they'd went with their Plan B after looking around the waterfront: head up the mountain, see if they could see anything fun. Explosions, burning things, a squadron of fighter jets flying over to shock and awe the place... No such dice at the moment, though!

Given that the top half of the mountain was locked off, their best bet was the hot springs, Shawn had said. So Matthew sorta followed behind; he'd always taken the road, and so this was unfamiliar territory. But someone shouted from up top, and at that point Matthew took the lead. There was only one person who'd be bellowing like that, so, hey, they'd get to run into Marshall. He hadn't killed anyone, so that was a plus, but Matthew figured that he wouldn't be happy about them killing people, so that was a not plus.

As they got closer, higher, someone else joined in - no, two people. He could make out the first, but it was a little hard over the din of the water and everything. A girl. 'SHE USED TO BE SOME CUTE SMALL... MAKES UP FOR EVERYTHING ELSE... SHE GETS SOMETHING BETTER?' Then the reply. 'YOU THINK I KNOW?' At that point, Matthew didn't really pay much more attention.

In his mind, there was only one person that could be. Someone who'd got something better, used to be cute and small - debatable - and that didn't make up for anything else? It was Katelyn. Had to be. Maybe they were just talking about her, but... today had been a pretty good day. If he could knock Kitty off the list, or one of her buddies?

That thought was filed away for later as someone came into view. Matthew nearly shot her on reflex, all full of nerves, but she was too big to be Katelyn. No, it was Cali. Salem's sister. She, uh, she was chill too. They'd nodded at each other a few times.

"Oh, Cali. Hey." Matthew grinned nervously, glancing around the area. He kept imagining where a grenade could come from, or a shot from whatever Katelyn had picked up from her terrorist awards. His rifle was lowered, aiming at the ground, but he was visibly tense, eyes darting around.

"What's, uh, what's up?" He glanced behind him, making sure Shawn was following behind. If she was here... things were gonna get messy. At least they'd picked up another gun.
[+] V8
S002: Alex Avanesian - Throwing Spear - is the one who thought he could win. He was proven wrong in I'm the Psycho, You're the Freakshow [93/134]
Main: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Pregame: 1 2 3
Social Media: 1 2 3 4
Homecoming: 1

S056: Madeleine Molliqaj - Macuahuitl - was hunting a beast. She slew it in Carve What You Feel Into Me [59/134]
Main: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Pregame: 1
Homecoming: 1

S078: Matthew Bell - Grand Power K100 - hurts all over in "Man, this SOTF thing sucks."
Main: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pregame: 1 2 3 4

Return to “The Hot Spring”