Sticks And Stones...

Pre-Lacrosse Practice / Open

The playing fields were, until recently, not a focus of John Endecott Memorial's budgetary concerns. This was readily apparent with a grass pitch that had long since shown signs of wear and quickly became a waterlogged marsh if there was heavy rain. This issue has recently been rectified since the reallocation of more budget to the schools' athletics department with the entire pitch being relaid with new grass and a set of bleachers being added for seating. This new surface is a much higher quality, with better drainage, and as a result, is much nicer to play on. Like the rest of JEM's facilities, the students are allowed free use of this space during their free periods. The pitch itself is on the smaller side as it was originally designed for lacrosse, the oldest sport played at JEM, and has a width of 60 yards by 110 yards. In the fall season, the pitch is used for soccer and lacrosse, while soccer and track are played after the winter break.
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

"Aw, c'mon Vladdy! When you say it like that you make me sound like a buffoon, and I'll have you know I'm a handsome buffoon. Marshall gets it."

Lúcio shrugged, abandoning his sultry posture for a relaxed stance, planting his lacrosse stick at his feet and leaning on it like a showman with an ornate cane. A smile remained painted across his face, unperturbed by Vladimir's aggression.

"Marshall's right about you too. You might be able to finish games, but that doesn't mean you won't be huffing and puffing halfway through like you're the big bad wolf."

His smile grew into a grin, sucking up most of his face.

"We've all got something we can work on. Hell, V, if you wanted, you could even join my Body Improvement Club! It could help you work on your endurance."
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

“It was irresponsible of you, Lúcio!” Marshall agreed, though with slight annoyance in his tone at having to agree with Vladimir. “Next time, you should count helmets! And Vladimir, finishing games is not the same as excelling at 100% from start to finish! That’s why there’s a difference between track and cross country!” Beaming again, he pointed at the sky and said, “Every percentage matters when in competition!”

Marshall’s grin dropped halfway—becoming normal-sized instead of the abnormally large size it often was—when Lúcio suggested Vladimir join the Body Improvement Club. It wasn’t that Marshall wanted to bar Vladimir from improvement. It was fear that Vladimir’s general attitude would drag down the others.

“Vladimir tends to fixate on the negatives and ignore the positives in everyone but himself,” Marshall said seriously, at a relatively normal volume, as he crossed his arms and rubbed his chin idly. “He would need to improve on that front, or he won’t acknowledge when people have improved. Which would be a bummer!”
[+] V8
S010: Marshall West - Designated Weapon: Gas Mask (now broken in one eye) - ESCAPED - "You are not the authority on what these people deserve!"
V8 Pregame - Memories: 1 / Messages: 1 2 / Pregame: 1 2 3 4 5 6 / Before Homecoming: 1
V8: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

S029: Mônica “Molly” Oliveira - Designated Weapon: Zweihander - DECEASED - “Is revenge worth that much?!”
V8 Pregame - Messages: 1 / Pregame: 1 2 3 / Homecoming: 1
V8: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

S047: Russell “Fitz” Fitzroy - Designated Weapon: Walther WA 2000 (sniper rifle) - Other Weapons: 1 half-blunt shruiken - ESCAPED - "DON’T LEAVE ME! PLEASE! PLEASE! I WANT TO LIVE!"
V8 Pregame - Memories: 1 / Messages: 1 2 3 4 / Pregame: 1 2 3 / After Homecoming: 1
V8: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

S074: Roberta Chen - Designated Weapon: Khopesh - DECEASED - "So… c-come back here. Y’coward."
V8 Pregame - Pregame: 1 2 3
V8: 1 2 3
[+] V9

S???: Finn Cooper
S???: Camilla "Candy" Carter
S???: Ashley "Ash" Montoya (last name preferred)
S???: Zachariah "Zach" Webb
Cicada

Post by Cicada »

"Spuds, hey."

No awkward pause, much as the comma could've been a period and a piece of air as dead as MH370. Ash wasn't particularly lame, at least in an obvious to notice way. She was cringing into next week, but that was strictly need-to-know basis information.

Just looking at the girl she'd nearly run over- as if Ash was strong enough to pull that off- still caused Ashlyn's heart to infarct, her skin to briefly feel warm to the touch. Ash still thought she was, uh. Attractive. Cute. Sexy and hormone-inducing. Ash's brain could roll out the positive adjectives in abundance. Lara was unfortunately straight. Or at least, not into Ashlyn specifically- no functional difference between, save for the ego depression it could force Ash to endure when she recollected the moment against her will as was her mortal tendency.

Implying Ash had an ego, anyways? Sus.

"Trying to get a stick from coach, actually. I'm not particularly good, we both know that, but you were able to teach me enough. Boys are doing warm-up drills before practice and I'm invited. You too because I said so."

Ashlyn was the sort who walked while she spoke. Spuds was in her way and would have been an intimidating obstacle if she'd wanted to play the role of Gandalf, but Ash neatly dodged around as was her prerogative, smiling with her eyes all the while. Walk the right way and you never faced your back towards a friend, all while not looking like an idiot. Ash had mastered that one decades prior in her sub-two decade lifespan.

"If you've got the time though." Spuds was a hard worker- Ash approved, ovaries aflame, so on- and if she had other things to do to prep for practice or get homework out of the way... yadda yadda, teens tumbling through their rat race. "Vladimir is there, if that helps you make the call."
Slam

Post by Slam »

Spuds smiled contemplatively, almost humorously, with eyes shut at Ash’s insistent invitation. She agreed that it was tempting to get more practice in, and she would’ve liked to have gotten to know the boys’ team better up close rather than from afar. She wasn’t that concerned about the calculus homework, in truth, at least as far as expected time taken went. She could integrate it into her knowledge quite readily.

She was still reluctant, all the same. What had made her smile into an almost chuckle had been the idea that her schedule could change at the drop of a hat. Her peers were much better than her at that; adapting to changing plans wasn’t something that came easily to Lara. When you had so many things to do in the day, so many irons in the fire, keeping everything on a predictable path helped maintain that sense of control. Without that, she might’ve had a breakdown long ago. Maybe.

“I appreciate the invitation. However,” she replied, opening her eyes to speak directly. “I have to finish this calculus homework first. If I finish earlier than I planned I’ll join, if you’ll still have me, but I imagine the boys’ practice will have started then.

“Don’t let me stop you from changing, though. I’ll see you out on the field.” she finished with a nod and another smile, stepping past Ash towards the group.

As she rounded her way towards the bleachers, she acknowledged the three boys already present as she made her way up to take a seat.

Marshall, who could stand to tone it down a few notches, but was reliable. She respected that. Vlad, as Ash had warned, not that it mattered. She suspected he was too busy wrinkling his nose at the dirt under her fingernails, even from this distance, to want to talk to her. And Lúcio, who lacked Vlad’s distaste for her despite the shared levels of wealth. Funnily enough, that was all it took for them to get along fine.

“Hello, everyone. Ash invited me to join you, but I have to finish this homework first. I’ll join when it’s done, if I’m fast enough.”

She knew that probably wouldn’t be the case, but she could hope for it.
"Smile. The world's not ending just yet."
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

"My name is Vladimir,", he insisted toward Lúcio. "I do not huff or puff like a wolf. And, my apologies, but I'm afraid I have too many engagements to consider joining another club." That was the polite way to say it, but what Vladimir really wanted to say was 'take your body improvement club and shove it up your ass until you're vomiting dumbells.'

Grimly holding his stare in Lúcio's direction for the moment, Vladimir raised a finger and then pointed it at Marshall's chest. Holding it there for a moment or so, he shifted his gaze in the other boy's direction. "I will admit, though, that you have a good point. I should bring myself closer to excellence from start to finish, so I'll make that my goal." He allowed a smile, then brushed a wrinkle off of Marshall's shoulder. "Just like your goal should be focus. And of course..." Vladimir lifted his chin.

"Lúcio's will be accuracy. I think we can agree these are our areas demanding improvement. Shall we play?"

Without waiting for a response, Vladimir returned to the stands to fetch his stick and helmet.
V8 Characters:
Hades Thompson: Scary on the outside, dying on the inside
Ruth Flanagan: Never talk to me or my brother or my brother or my brother or my brother ever again
Vladimir Tepes: Not a vampire, so invite him in
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

With Vladimir's brief departure, Lúcio leaned over to Marshall with a coy smile.

"Tough crowd with this one, huh?" he whispered. "Gave me a look like he was thinkin' about how to impale me on a spike. You think I should lay off the nicknames?"

Lúcio didn't have any problems with Vladimir, but lacking a sense of humor always left him wondering how to proceed. He was lucky that most people he knew didn't prop themselves up with a pole up their ass like Vladimir. Maybe one day the other boy would work his way down to their level, once he finally realized that it was lonely at the top.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

“Vladimir always looks like that!” Marshall said, a little louder than Lúcio did despite an attempt to be similarly quiet. “It might just be his natural face. But he doesn’t seem comfortable with the nicknames! I agree, you should stop. It won’t make him more bearable, at the very least.”

Oh, Spuds was here! Marshall liked Spuds a lot. She could probably bench-press him, and was also very smart and studious, all of which were qualities Marshall could admire, as well as her general calm exterior.

“Hello, Spuds!” Marshall bellowed, while still far too close to Lúcio to make that comfortable to listen to. “Are you working on calculus, too?” He jogged a couple of steps back towards his bag, before he stopped.

Balancing things was difficult, sometimes. It was easy when Marshall was on his own—he had allocated hours to study all his topics—but when he factored in other people it got more difficult, because practicing lacrosse was important, and studying calculus was important, and people doing both at once made it difficult to know if he should do one or the other--

No, he did have lacrosse responsibilities, though. So did Spuds, but there were no other members of the girl’s team here. Focusing on calculus made sense for her in this moment, but not for him. Even if it itched at him to fix the hole in his knowledge regarding it.

“My calculus book’s around there if it’ll help!” Marshall shouted as he picked up his lacrosse stick, gesturing at his bag with it. (Though it wasn’t actually his lacrosse stick. He’d borrowed one from the school. His last one had been too cheap and splintered.) He slapped his helmet on at the same time, slapping it a couple of times to make sure it was on right.
[+] V8
S010: Marshall West - Designated Weapon: Gas Mask (now broken in one eye) - ESCAPED - "You are not the authority on what these people deserve!"
V8 Pregame - Memories: 1 / Messages: 1 2 / Pregame: 1 2 3 4 5 6 / Before Homecoming: 1

S029: Mônica “Molly” Oliveira - Designated Weapon: Zweihander - DECEASED - “Is revenge worth that much?!”

S047: Russell “Fitz” Fitzroy - Designated Weapon: Walther WA 2000 (sniper rifle) - Other Weapons: 1 half-blunt shruiken - ESCAPED - "DON’T LEAVE ME! PLEASE! PLEASE! I WANT TO LIVE!"
V8 Pregame - Memories: 1 / Messages: 1 2 3 4 / Pregame: 1 2 3 / After Homecoming: 1

S074: Roberta Chen - Designated Weapon: Khopesh - DECEASED - "So… c-come back here. Y’coward."
[+] V9

Cicada

Post by Cicada »

Coach had a spare stick, hustling back was a good warm up. Everything came together like rot to a corpse. Interesting fact- gut bacteria immediately start to digest the body when it's no longer alive to stop them and that's the first recognizable part of human decay post mortem- abdominal bloat and discoloration. In the case of the Graves household, this all assumed Kitty's beloved Mr. Kitty didn't get to the body first.

"Don't want help, Spuds?"

On the one hand, a longing eye cast the way of taking to the field. With soon to be smelly dudes, but a field nonetheless. On the other hand, the other eye nearly caught a case of Jesus, crossing over to evaluate Spud's sad fate of college-level- kind of- mathematics. For all the effort she'd put in Ash had a developed instinct for helping out people who deserved it. She hung back for a moment just to be sure- she motioned for the guys to go ahead and start. She could jump in if needed because neither of Ashlyn's two feet were left.
Slam

Post by Slam »

Spuds nodded a thanks to Marshall as she moved past him to take her seat. She tried to shrug off Lúcio and Vladimir’s ignoring of her, but she had to admit it did hurt a bit. Well, nevermind, they were obviously distracted with each other.

She was about to head up into the stands to sit down and get started when Ash appeared behind her. Fast, but Spuds already knew that from the way she moved.

“Thank you, but I’ll be fine. Don’t let me stop you from playing with the boys.” she smiled at Ash, but truthfully she would’ve liked the company. It had been a long day of working, as every day was, and a little down time with a friend would’ve been appreciated, even if it was over homework. But, like always, she had reflexively declined the offer to stick to her prior plan.

She turned to head upwards. Reaching her perch, she sat down to focus her attention on the problems at hand.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

((Breaking order to exit thread with permission.))

Well, enough dilly-dallying~! The quicker this was done, the quicker they improved, the quicker Marshall could work on his calculus and fix that particular flaw, and the quicker the world kept spinning as it should!

“Meet you across the field! We will improve or die trying!” With that, Marshall ran off across the field, lacrosse stick flailing, ready to commit to his words. Perhaps with a little too much enthusiasm, the same enthusiasm that led to a lot of his more prominent problems on the field.

((Marshall West continued in With Great Awkwardness Comes Great Responsibility.))
[+] V8

[+] V9

Slam

Post by Slam »

Spuds homework proved not to be a problem. She then did her own lacrosse practice and headed on home. Job well done.

((Lara 'Spuds' Bullock continued elsewhere))
Cicada

Post by Cicada »

Job well done indeed.

All Ash had left after she eventually vanished as quickly as she came, a forgettable blur of friendly faces. May you live in interesting times was a curse and Ash had dodged the voodoo. This time.

|| Ashlyn Graves, Thread 5 Ended ||

Return to “Playing Field”